[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
what books would you read to prepare to death?...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: goya.jpg (240 KB, 960x959) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
goya.jpg
240 KB, 960x959
what books would you read to prepare to death? or what book would you read if you know you have one uear left?
>>
>>7670318
I would read or watch something annoying that would make me emotional so I wouldnt even care to die or some philosophical gymnastics that are not even possible to work out. Just annoy yourself to the point that you dont want to care about living anymore and you will be on the right path. The good news is you dont have to do anything, just take a walk and socialize with people for some time. They will annoy you sooner or later. If I was immortal and I would probably be insane overly manic and happy jumping in front of everyones face because I would be bored and mad of all the shit that is going on and all the pain suffered of losing everything and everyone I cared about vanishing, the eternal pointlessness or I would be shut in somewhere withering away dark souls style.

I wouldnt probably read a book or maybe some stoicism if I felt like it. I would probably go full on Diogenes.
>>
I would read the radical leftist ramblings on my facebook wall.
>>
>>7670343
thank you for complex response
I never been onto stoicism, that thoughtless attitude of a cow standing in the rain.
I'm goinf to read 'tibetan book of the living and dying' because I want to consider and to sort out my thoughts on this topic and from what I want buddism is about nothing more but death and pain.

Does DIogenes wasn't cynic?
>>
sorry for my spelling mistakes, I have problems with focusing
>>
i would probably not read.
>>
>>7670397
why is that?
>>
Are you dying OP?
>>
>>7670420
most likely
>>
>>7670402
i would simply try to 'live'.
no investment, no trying. no thinking.
i'd drink, fuck a lot if possible, get to know people i wouldn't care about normally, dance, listen to music, fight, swim, hunt.
read zorba by kazancakis.
>>
The Myth of Sisyphus
>>
>>7670448
you could write a book about that last year
>>
>>7670430
One year is short time to make your peace with it.

I would suggest lots of meditation and books on meditation.

What are you dying form if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>7670448
> would simply try to 'live'.
but I was simply dead inside before
>no investment, no trying.
I 'live' like that on normal basis
>i'd drink, fuck a lot if possible, get to know people i wouldn't care about normally, dance, listen to music, fight, swim, hunt
when you know you're dying those things like this doesn't effect you no more
>read zorba by kazancakis.
I I was thinking about Christ Recrucified. Is it worth it?
>>7670453
If you have Sisyphus by Camus I already read it
>>7670454
too much effort not enough outcome
>>
>>7670461
skin cancer, but considering suicide
>>
>>7670480
>things like this doesn't effect you no more
yea they do. go read any memoir of a terminally ill person.
>>
>>7670488
Are you really dying from skin cancer
I thought that was ridiculously unlikely
>>
File: idontknowhowtomeme.jpg (878 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
idontknowhowtomeme.jpg
878 KB, 1680x1050
>>
>>7670318
>prepare to death
A book on fucking grammar.
>>
>>7670382
I would recommend Marcus Aurelius because he deals with death all the time with stoicism.

Diogenes was a cynic, yes.

If you want a peak of them I would recommend listening to this and see for yourself if you are interested or not.

Diogenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJN_mc0lKM

Marcus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdPoaI33RmE
>>
>>7670488
I stand by my advise on meditation, forrealsies.
Also: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/skin-cancer#heading-Zero

It's a 90 percent survival rate right, how old are you? Unless your elderly, why not take a chance? Do 10 percent of the cases end really badly or is it too crippling or something?

>>7670501
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerbasics/lifetime-probability-of-developing-or-dying-from-cancer

Those are lifetime risks, skin cancer is around 3 percent.
>>
>>7670510
read it twice, as you can see it hasn't a big impact on my life
>>7670501
skin cancer is the most common cause of death
>>
>>7670551
Btw, those videos are from this podcast, if you're interested in looking up podcasts for other philosophers:

historyofphilosophy.net
>>
>>7670556
skin cancer is definitely very far from the most common cause of death, which would be some sort of heart failure
>>
>>7670556
>skin cancer is the most common cause of death
No it's not. What are you talking about?
>>
>>7670556
Are you trolling or just dying and therefore morbid/insufferable?
>>
>>7670555
it's malignant, there is reallz nothing I can do about it, anyway I came here to talk about books not me, but thanks for effort

>>7670551
I know Diogenes, and probably giva a try to Aurelius thx
>>
any good poems for funeral ceremonies ?
>>
I was thinking this epitaph

"It may be that nothingness awaits us. But let us not live in such a way that it would ba a worthy fate"

what u guys think?
>>
>>7670615
"Masturbating

into the pussy of people

is not the same as

having sex"
- Maja Anette Flones Monsen
>>
>>7670627

'Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men...' -Borges
>>
Op, Tolstoy shittied himself when he thought of death, so he wrote a lot about it. Try The Death of Ivan Ilyich. The Stranger and the existencialists may help you too.
>>
>>7670775
Also, I strongly recommend you Wild Strawberries, one of the best films on death I know. Btw, watch everything from Bergman. His dialogs are basically literature and one of his most frequent themes is death.
>>
I'd reread The Death of Ivan Ilyich and also force my loved ones to read it.
>>
>>7670615
like half of all poems
>>
File: 12345.jpg (17 KB, 251x383) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
12345.jpg
17 KB, 251x383
>>7670318
>what book would you read if you know you have one year left?
pic
>>
>>7670775
I read The Death of Ivan Ilyich I wasn't thrilled. I read also most of the existentialists including The Stranger much better reading on the sidelines.
>>7670812
I watched, personally one of my best movies ever. I'll have to watch it again, It beautifly treat the subject of death and the time.
>>7670840
I read it a lot better than Death of Ivan Ilich, but Christian moral accompanying the end of the novel ruined it.
>>
"Ordinary people seem not to realize that those who really apply themselves in the right way to philosophy are directly and of their own accord preparing themselves for dying and death."

Btw, stoicism and philosophy in general.
>>
>>7670615
discordants by aiken
>>
>>7670615

Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

WB Yeats
>>
>>7670615
Gone from my sight by Henry van Dyke.
>>
Stoicism all the way, anon. Bless you.
>>
>>7670318

Death requires no preparation.
>>
File: 243623452435345.jpg (122 KB, 591x819) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
243623452435345.jpg
122 KB, 591x819
Music
>>
>>7670318
I like the art. Source?
>>
one can die having never read a book. its probably easier that way
>>
>>7673266
Goya
Boy Staring at an Apparition. Boy Frightened by a Man
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
Thread DB ID: 495008



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.