[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you ever read a book no one else has read or mentioned?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: 1451450866040.jpg (21KB, 534x516px) Image search: [Google]
1451450866040.jpg
21KB, 534x516px
Would you ever read a book no one else has read or mentioned?
>>
Yeah.
>>
>>7662983
/thread
>>
Probably not. I value the social aspect of reading, being able to discuss plot and characters with people like you guys.
>>
>>7662974
fuck no. how would i know if it's any good or not?
>>
No one else on /lit/? Sure
>>
>>7662986
So you read books to get friends?
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 304x475px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 304x475px
Read this
>>
>>7662986
>So you read books to get friends?

I read to get girls
>>
>>7663012
I read to keep my mind sharp
>>
I like reading obscure stuff because then I know, especially if it's good, that the filthy masses can't take it from me.
>>
>>7663008
That's a famous book. But okay. With juvenile philosophy too.
>>
>>7663056
How so, I thought it was uplifting
>>
>>7662974

yes

> book of my life
>>
I've seen people mention John Hawkes but no works in particuar.

Reading The Blood Orange now, pretty good, prose is excellent. The Beetle Leg is next.
>>
>>7662974
I have. They were all shit.
>>
Lol. I read only things which are academically respected, but I read a LOT of non-fiction, basically meaning I can't relate to most of you guys or anyone on reddit.
>>
>>7662984
kek

never heard The Innocents Abroad on this board
shit was cash

'The guide wanted us to give them (children begging) some money, and we did it; but when he went on to say that they were starving to death we could not but feel that we had done a great sin in throwing obstacles in the way of such a desirable consummation, and so we tried to collect it back, but it could not be done'
>>
Yes. I'm waiting for Teeth Teeth Teeth to arrive, a rather large book all about teeth, written by a dentist who was by all accounts insane. I'm quite excited.
>>
I blind-bought White Noise at a Borders in highschool, although I was reading it for the flashy penguin cover (never heard of Don delillo at the time) and about 4 pages in, some collegiate-looking lad caught my attention and told me it was a funny book. So, I guess that counts as a "mention"
>>
>>7663012
how's that been working out for ya champ?
>>
>>7663012
me too.
my ex who i was with for 4 years I read a book just so that I could see her again to return it and talk to her about it.

my new waifu I'm reading SKs revival to talk to her about it. taking her to dinner for the first time this weekend.

its a great way to meet qt3.14 anxious girls.
>>
File: 16079778.jpg (45KB, 275x475px) Image search: [Google]
16079778.jpg
45KB, 275x475px
>>7662974
Already have.
>>
>>7662986

>plots and characters
>people like you guys

subtle bait
>>
>>7663056
>juvenile philosophy
>he didnt read the greeks
its a seminal work on the necessity for the synthesis of the Apollonian and the Dionysian. same as zen and the art of shitposting and steppennigger. what you are meant to get out of it is to put down the book and go down to the pub and have some fun instead of being a stuck up cunt all the time.

>all work and no play makes jack a dull boy
>>
>>7662984
>/thread
>le
>muh
>this
>HIV
>>
>>7662974
>Would you ever fuck a girl no one else has fucked or mentioned?
>>
I sometimes do. Most books I read are classics and recommendations, but I also like browsing libraries and bookstores at random. When I see I title I like, I take the book out and start reading. I usually keep browsing like that for a while, then I get the one or two which seemed the most promising.

I ended up buying a book whose price was still in Francs a few months ago (that currency hasn't been used since the turn of the century).

>>7663301
How was it?
>>
>>7663005
Sure. So, don't we all do it for that?
>>
Well, is it any good? Cos that's what should be the determining factor
>>
File: 1428630093730.png (14KB, 166x166px) Image search: [Google]
1428630093730.png
14KB, 166x166px
>>7662986
>>7663303
>>
>>7662974
/lit/s rotation of books is extremely limiting, you would be better off using the goodreads recommendation algorithm (since it basically sorts books by genre, subgenre, and region written in) or using oxfordbibliographies or wikipedia bibliographies/further reading.
>>
>>7662974
No otherwise I wouldn't know whether I liked it or not.

You probably think I'm memeing but I'm not.
>>
>>7664104
>mfw when I realized that I would probably like Kafka a lot less if I had been told that he was considered a bad writer
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.