[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which books will help me overcome nihilism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: nihilist.jpg (44KB, 400x401px) Image search: [Google]
nihilist.jpg
44KB, 400x401px
Which books will help me overcome nihilism?
>>
Matthew.
>>
>what book will help me undo overnight years of negative conditioning and lack of passion for life that have hardened into literally high school: the philosophy
>>
>>7658553
Yes, help. Not magically solve everything.
>>
>>7658501
All of the classics mate. Just read
>>
>>7658501
Dadaism, absurdism, or Zen Buddhism... then, again, those are all pretty nihilistic, too. nihilism is not something to be overcome. It's just how things are.
"I talk to the wind / The wind does not hear / The wind cannot hear. - King Crimson.
>>
>>7658633
>Zen
>nihilistic

Kill yourself
>>
>>7658638
Zen is, essentially, nihilism. It's understanding that enlightenment is an illusions and that nothing really matters. Most Zen koans are nihilistic treatises dealing with the temporarily of existence.
>>
*illusion & *temporality
>>
>>7658658
>you can't intellectualize yourself into enlightenment =/= nothing matters

You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about
>>
Enlightenment is just a word: a concept man has created with his mind. Nature doesn't give a shit if you are enlightened or not. As most Buddhists would say: "The tree does not exist." Why? because "tree" is a concept (a word) man has made with his mind. A tree doesn't know what the fuck a tree is. Nature doesn't care about words and how man conceptualizes them. Nature is silent. It doesn't speak. This is something Zen tries to teach.
>>
>>7658633
>Buddhism
>nihilistic
niggas on lit need to quit spewing this meme
>>
Proudhon, Bakunin, Kropotkin.
>>
>alt+f5
>"camus"
>no matches
>>
>>7658701
>Camus helps you overcome nihilism
Also, Camus didn't identify as a nihilist.
>>
>>7658703
Camus didn't identify as an "existentialist."
>>
>>7658658

Yengo (1566-1642) writes of Zen: “It is presented right to your face, and at this moment the whole thing is handed over to you ... Look into your whole being ... Let your body and mind be turned into an inanimate object of nature like a stone or a piece of wood; when a state of perfect motionlessness and unawareness is obtained all the signs of life will depart and also every trace of limitation will vanish. Not a single idea will disturb your consciousness, when lo! all of a sudden you will come to realize a light abounding in full gladness. It is like coming across a light in thick darkness; it is like receiving treasure in poverty. The four elements and the five aggregates (your entire bodily make-up) are no more felt as burdens; so light, so easy, so free you are. Your very existence has been delivered from all limitations; you have become open, light, and transparent. You gain an illuminating insight into the very nature of things, which now appear to you as so many fairy-like flowers having no graspable reality. Here is manifested the unsophisticated self which is the Original Face of your being; here is shown all bare the most beautiful landscape of your birthplace. There is but one straight passage open and unobstructed through and through. This is where you surrender all - your body, your life, and all that belongs to your inmost self. This is where you gain peace, ease, non-doing, and inexpressible delight.”

The characteristic lightness which Yengo refers to was experienced by the Taoist Lieh-tzu (c.400 B.C.) to such a degree that he seemed to be riding on the wind. This is how he describes the feeling: “Internal and external were blended into a unity. After that, there was no distinction between eye and ear, ear and nose, nose and mouth: all were the same. My mind was frozen, my body in dissolution, my flesh and bones all melted together. I was wholly unconscious of what my body was resting on, or what was under my feet. I was borne this way and that on the wind, like dry chaff or leaves falling from a tree. In fact, I knew not whether the wind was riding on me or I on the wind.”
>>
>>7658701
>>7658703
>>7658714
Camus thought he was a special snowflake who wanted to differentiate himself from his comteporary, Sartre. Both of them are just Nietzsche-lite for those who aren't edgy enough to get the real thing.
>>
>>7658721
The 16th-century Zen master Han-shan says of the enlightened man that his body and heart are entirely non-existent: they are the same as the absolute Void. Of his own experience he writes: “I took a walk. Suddenly I stood still, filled with the realization that I had no body or mind. All I could see was one great illuminating Whole - omnipresent, perfect, lucid, and serene. It was like an all-embracing mirror from which the mountains and rivers of the earth were projected ... I felt clear and transparent.” “Mind and body dropped off!’ exclaims Dogen (1200-1253) in an ecstasy of release. “Dropped off! Dropped off! This state must be experienced by you all; it is like piling fruit into a basket without a bottom, it is like pouring water into a bowl with a hole in it.” “All of a sudden you find your mind and body wiped out of existence,” says Hakuin (1685-1768): “This is what is known as letting go your hold. As you regain your breath it is like drinking water and knowing it is cold. It is joy inexpressible.”

So nihilistic.
>>
>>7658721
Exactly. It's merging with nature. It's correlating dichotomies (yin and yang). It is seeing beyond language and ideological illusions. How is that not nihilistic?

By the way, if you want a good Zen buddhist, read Ikyyu, who states the following:

"Students, sit earnestly in zazen, and you will realize that everything born in this world is ultimately empty, including oneself and the original face of existence. All things indeed emerge out of emptiness. The original formlessness is the "Buddha," and all other similar terms -- Buddha-nature, Buddhahood, Buddha-mind, Awakened One, Patriarch, God -- are merely different express- ions for the same emptiness. Misunderstand this and you will end up in hell."
>>
>>7658735
I think he's decent for what he is (presenting the ideas inherent in absurdism/ nihilism) but feel he does a sublar job with actually combatting nihilism.
>>
Ecclesiastes
>>
>>7658501

None. You would better ask which books will delude you into leading a productive life until the moment of your death, at which moment you will be reminded of the truth of nihilism.

Nihilism is not overcome. Nothing transcends. Everything negating the above is delusional balm, the more delusional because productive adults have their animal body chemistry firing right, believing themselves right, "feeling" it.

Then you have your few decades on the outside and you go plop.
>>
>>7658773
Still better than Friedrich "I don't have to justify my claims because fuck you" Nietzsche.
>>
>>7658735
so you read nausea and now you think you understand sartre
>>
Anyone else in here never really 'get over' nihilism, but also aren't completely stuck in the trap associated with that worldview?

It's not as if I'm not fully aware of my own mortality and the meaninglessness of life, I just think about other things these days for the most part and don't let myself get depressed over it

I can't really explain why, but lately I've been valuing 'building something out of nothing,' as opposed to my previous depressive deconstruction of life
>>
Read The Ego and Its Own.
>>
>>7658501
Linkin Park discography
>>
>>7659155
>camus better than nietzsche

literally lolled
>>
>>7659424
Craaaaaawling...
>>
i just read zorba the greek. try it.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.