[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone read The Rage Against God? I went into it as an atheist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (12KB, 180x276px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 180x276px
Has anyone read The Rage Against God?

I went into it as an atheist and a utilitarian. I've come away thinking that - although he doesn't state it explicitly - societies in which the majority believe in a Christian morality produce better utilitarian outcomes.

The idea that you will be judged by a higher power combined with a demand to love thy neighbour is more powerful than any secular ethical system - when widely believed.

But I still don't actually believe in God or judgement, which puts me in a weird place.

Anyway, what did you think?
>>
File: 1441555265057.jpg (283KB, 2362x1575px) Image search: [Google]
1441555265057.jpg
283KB, 2362x1575px
Based Hitchens.
>>
>utilitarianism
>good
>>
>>7656900
Rather disapointing if entertaining.

Guy just combined his experiance with Stendhal syndrome and the conservatism that he picked up with age.
>>
File: image.jpg (207KB, 800x609px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
207KB, 800x609px
I want to read his Brief History of Crime, but I'm a boho artist type and can hardly allocate the funds. Really ought to see if I can find it via inter-library loan.

I was never too enthralled by the great God-Debaters. He exists anons, just get over it.
>>
Congratulations, you're basically every "Christian" on this website.
>>
>>7656900
Which books or sources are you basing you views on the past on?
>>
"The league of the militant godless had done their work too well. In the names of reason, science, and liberty they had proved, rather effectively, that good societies need God to survive and that when you have murdered him, starved him, silenced him, denied him to the children, and erased his festivals and his memory, you have a gap that cannot indefinitely be filled by any human, nor anything made by human hands. Must we discover this all over again? I fear so. A new and intolerant Utopianism seeks to drive the remaining traces of Christianity from the laws and constitutions of Europe and North America. This time, it does so mainly in the cause of personal liberation, born in the 1960’s cultural revolution, and now inflamed into special rage by any suggestion that the sexual urge should be restrained by moral limits or that it should have any necessary connection with procreation. This utopianism relies for human goodness in doctrines of human rights derived from human desires and - like all such codes - full of conflicts between the differing rights of different groups. These must then be policed by an ever more powerful state. A new elite, wealthy and comfortable beyond the fantasies of any previous generation, abandons penal codes (especially against possession of narcotics) and abolishes marital fidelity so as to license it’s own comfortable, padded indulgence and it therefore permits the same freedoms to the poor, who suffer far more from this dangerous liberty than do the rich. "

Based Pete.
>>
>>7657816
this desu senpai

Seems most Christians here and even in churches today have some combination of the following beliefs:

>Christianity is good for society
>Christianity is good for raising children/instilling morals
>Christianity is pretty
>I sometimes feel something during mass/church services
>I'm not going to follow all that sexual morality stuff

Nothing wrong with this I guess but it's a pretty common way of thinking, even if your average pleb doesn't realize he's thinking it.

Actually there's a good case to be made that this has been the attitude of the majority of believers for hundreds of years.
>>
>>7657893
that's quite a nice paragraph

I've never heard of this man before.

Where do I start with Pete?
>>
>>7656900
Christian society literally produced our contemporary one.
>>
>>7657913
I'm enjoying my copy of The Abolition of Britain, although I don't know if it's a good place to start, since it deals mostly with British history/culture/politics. Actually, less the religious ones, most of his books are UK-centric. There are a couple of them dealing with his time as a foreign correspondent too, if I recall correctly.
>>
>>7656900
It was shit tbqh.
>>
>>7657913
He has a nice blog on current events and there are lots of youtube videos of him speaking.
>>
>>7657913
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrwuk6NoMv8
>>
>>7656900
>utilitarianism is good
>>
>>7656900
>utilitarian
Kekd study some philosophy
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.