[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's possible to self study by using the internet and internet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1453859739784.png (690KB, 3670x2516px) Image search: [Google]
1453859739784.png
690KB, 3670x2516px
It's possible to self study by using the internet and internet resources and come with the same knowledge than a literature major graduate?

If so, I guess I can look up a top university like harvard and look up their curriculum.

I guess I could read Grammar, because that's a big one, but what else?

But how do I learn literary analisis and criticism?

Was planning on majoring on literature but right now I decided to major in software engineering because I like both majors, but one is better in terms of jobs.
>>
>It's possible to self study by using the internet and internet resources and come with the same knowledge than a literature major graduate?

it's not technically impossible but it's practically impossible for 99.999% of the population

everyone who says >paying money to read books or whatever who thinks you can get the same knowledge is retarded
>>
>>7656141
what are the hard subjects?

I guess literary analisis and those creative writing workshops can't be learned by using youtube.

I don't think the topics regarding literature history where you read an entire semester one autor or even one book are so usefull and require a professor to be there.
>>
>>7656137
Nursing pays better than accounting and business?
>>
>>7656169
it's a good major, specialy if you wanna take care of elder people, that's where the money comes.
>>
>>7656150
the main value of having a professor there is that he's far more read and aware of context.

you can slavishly read what's on a syllabus, but you will almost certainly miss the context, references, and relationships between different texts and the work in criticism done on them, without someone to point out what's important to read/good citations/related texts based on whatever you're working on and interested in.

literary "analysis" in its most basic form can be learned by reading those pop lit crit books that teach you babby's first symbolism.

literary analysis as practiced in high academia is something completely different.
>>
>>7656189
oh sorry if i didn't make this clear-

you should by all means read and learn literature as a hobby while pursuing a STEM major if money/job security is what you have decided to prioritize. and you can and should enjoy it for all it's worth. just don't expect to have the exact same experience and knowledge that you would've gleaned had you done a lit major.
>>
>>7656189
>literary analisis
>high academia
would you like to elaborate?

Are popular works on genre fiction disregarded?
Stuff like harry potter I mean.

>>7656195
what do you think bout stuff like the teaching company DvDs about writing and literature?
>>
>>7656199
Not that anon, but no professor worth a damn will waste valuable seminar/class time talking about trash/children's books (whether they are fun like HP or GoT or not). The idea that academia has declined into a SJW-driven safe space hugfest that promotes the acceptance of anti-intellectualism "because everyone is special and no one should be shamed because of their tastes" is complete bullshit. Literature departments like that do not exist. Which isn't too say that there aren't professors like that out there, but if one ends up in a class like that it's their fault for not getting familiar with the professor before signing up for the course
>>
>>7656199
you will find people studying "highbrow" genre authors like LeGuin, Atwood, etc. You will not find HP, GoT. LotR is in a weird area where it's sort of studied and respected by some but also disparaged by others.

Literary analysis, as taught in high school English, basically consists of memorizing and identifying literary devices, basic symbolism, and basic themes.

Literary criticism in high academia involves reading literally everything everyone has every written about a given work/author, and then saying something that no one has ever said before about a work, while positioning your work within the existing work and also justifying it with research/textual evidence/etc., depending on your methodology.
>>
I read philosophy and there are many online courses available from senior professors, majorly, I side with most analytic philosophers.

My literary reading is very limited.

How comparable would my education be to an undergrad phil major at a good university?

I've read a little above a good 100 books on the subject (quite a sizable amount given there aren't as many big names in phil as there would be in lit).

I don't mean in terms of me being to write a paper but, if I were to converse with them, would I be able to have fruitful discussions for the both of us, or just embarrass myself and seem like an idiot?

I ask because I'd just keep my mouth shut if it means I still get to be friends with someone.

Also, how does the answer to my question change if it's a phil grad student?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.