[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: qtddtot.jpg (100KB, 999x624px) Image search: [Google]
qtddtot.jpg
100KB, 999x624px
go go go
>>
What is the political alignment of the majority of /lit/?
>>
>>7652883
Left but driven farther to the right by SJW propoganda.
>>
>>7652883
idiotes
>>
>>7652883
I don't subscribe to the left-right dichotomy, but I'd rather vote conservative than labour, but would rather follow Pericles than Antiphon.

>>7652770
What are some good, short-essays?
>>
>>7652883
I have never looked into any politics, so I have no idea. I don't even know what right, left, liberal etc mean or what Trump does.
>>
I've been telling myself that I'll be a faster reader by reading more, but that was decades ago and I'm still slow.
I want to learn to read faster, and I want to do it methodically, preferably backed up by science. How do I go about this?
>>
>>7652916
Get a brain training app that has reading and speed reading games/activities like Elevate.
>>
Should I read Don Quixote or The Canterbury Tales first?
>>
>>7652916
>>7652923

I don't know, I think the jury is still pretty out on how much speed reading helps.

Why do you really want to read faster? If it's to show off then maybe you have more important insecurity issues to deal with.

If it's so you can show off to get brownie points in business and networking so you can get more skills to pay bills and fund your relatively healthy lifestyle with family vacations and comfy holidays then, I don't know, maybe try skipping sections, I'm not sure how much speedreading will help.
>>
>>7652907
>what Trump does
it's just a suit which ranks above other cards and so can be win a trick when another suit has been lead. hearts are the trump suit in hearts, but a lot of the more popular whist games like euchre have different trumps decided by the draw to keep things interesting
>>7652929
canterbury tales are easier to go through, and that way you can wallow nicely in don quixote already in the midset of fine maids' arses.
>>
>>7652923
There have been (very) recent studies showing that brain training apps are worthless and don't help any more than doing any other mentally demanding task. Especially Luminosity was BTFO and has been forbidden in the US to advertise their brain apps as having any effect.
>>
I want to learn about poetic meter. All I see recommended to people is the Ode Less Travelled. Is there anything else one might find helpful?
>>
>>7652933
>Why do you really want to read faster?
To get more reading done. There's still mountains of classics I want to read. Furthermore, it feels discouraging to take forever to read longer books. Additionally, by the time I've finished a >1000-pages work, I've probably forgotten most of the information from early chapters.

Of course, I don't just want to read fast. I want to read fast and have a high retention of information.
>>
>>7652940
Elevate isn't like brain training puzzles though. It has games that boost your vocabulary, where it shows you a word, and you have to click the appropriate synonym; it has games that help you comprehend what you read by showing you a short essay, then asks you questions about the purpose of the essay, the tone etc. It also has shit that helps with day-to-day mathematics, like quick subtraction question, or proportion games (you have to spin a totem pole so all the faces match the right proportion for example).

Sorry for typing a bit, I'm having a poo and felt like having a discussion.
>>
>>7652950
Trochee trips from long to short;
From long to long in solemn sort
Slow Spondee stalks; strong foot! yet ill able
Ever to come up with dactyl trisyllable.
Iambics march from short to long;—
With a leap and a bound the swift Anapæsts throng;
One syllable long, with one short at each side,
Amphibrachys hastes with a stately stride;—
First and last being long, middle short, Amphimacer
Strikes his thundering hoofs like a proud high-bred racer
>metrical feet, ST Coleridge

Wikipedia isn't a bad resource for meter either. There are more than mentioned in Coleridge's introduction, and more to form than just meter. I haven't read Fry's book, but it or wikipedia might be better than trying to track down the same Latin dictionary I have which explains the major ones for ancient verse. [Options displayed in increasing levels of autism]
>>
>>7652883
There was a political compass thread a few weeks or months ago. Most people were in the green box somewhere.
>>
Are there any worthwhile /lit/ related podcasts? Preferably dealing with analysis of established works rather than interviews with no name self-published authors.
>>
>>7653036
For introductions: In Our Time
For Philosophy: History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps

Dunno about other literature desu
>>
Best translation of The Consolation of Philosophy?
>>
>>7653044
I've listened to In Our Time, it's great but not really what I'm looking for.

I was sort of hoping for a 'two hosts both read something and discuss it' type deal.
>>
>>7653036
Partially examined life has been quite good from to time.
>>
BEST ENGLISH TRANSLATION FOR:

1. BOOK OF DISQUIET- FERNANDO PESSOA

NOW.
>>
I wanna get into writing, but I don't know where to start or what people consider good or bad, or anything really about writing. what are tropes or things people hate about book? I browsed a thread earlier with people saying they hate the
>character wakes up at the beginning of the story
I can't tell whether people are meme'ing about certain ideas or not.
any and all advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>7653891

Start keeping a daily journal and reflect on your life. After a year or two of doing this and working on your prose style, you'll be way better equipped to start writing fiction. Also make sure to read a lot.
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763KB, 1024x768px
HOW ARE YOU GOING TO STOP ME FROM SHITPOSTING FROM A LIBRARY COMPUTER

I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO STAY AT THIS COMPUTER AFTER I POST THIS

I'M GOING HOME AND I'LL READ EVERYONE FREAKING OUT ABOUT MY SHITPOSTING AT HOME

FUCK

YOU
>>
Why is Rimbaud so respected as a poet? I've read bits and pieces of his works, it seems like his ideas of what poets are/should be are more interesting than any of the content of his actual works.
>>
>>7654318
You read it in French, right?
>>
>>7653891
Just try to void what you think are cliches, at worst you can google it.
And all that ">book starts with X" is just memeint, it really doesn't matter if your book is good in the end, and you can go a long way with good prose alone.

Also, a friendly reminder that The Trial begins with the MC waking up.
>>
>>7654330
As long as your book is good in the end*
>>
>>7654326
Yes.
>>
File: calibre.png (200KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
calibre.png
200KB, 1366x768px
>>7652770
Anyone here use Calibre for ebooks? I've been using it with no problem for the past few weeks, and am now suddenly getting an error prompt w/e I use it:

>calibre, version 2.49.0
>ERROR: No associated program: Windows will try to open Diogenes Laertius - Dorandi, Tiziano.pdf with calibre itself resulting in a duplicate in your calibre library. You should install some program capable of viewing this file format and tell windows to use that program to open files of this type.

Any help would be very appreciated ^_^
>>
>>7654318
>read some of his stuff
>just felt like watching your little brother sperg out and you want to tell him to calm the fuck down
>>
>>7653913
>>7654330
got it, thanks!!
>>
>>7654543
try removing the file?
>>
What is a good synonym for "snowbound" or "snowed-in"?
>>
>>7652883
No clue, but a lot of people from /leftypol/ go on /lit/.
>>
>>7655486
Wintered?
>>
I completely irrationally hate the nineteenth/early twentieth century and therefore hate most literature set there.

What do?
>>
>>7655510
I'm trying to get at a meaning of being entrapped by natural forces. I'd settle for ones that aren't necessarily snowy.
>>
>>7655527
wot m8 late 19th, early 20th is one of the most interesting periods of all art imo with the burgeoning modernity via Klimt, Gogh, Picasso, Debussy, Stravinsky, Joyce, Eliot, Woolf etc. I'm not sure where exactly you're coming from though unless it's a sort of political bias.
>>
What do you guys mean when you say meme book?
>>
>>7655582
Virtually nothing, it's a linguistically vacuous descriptor of which you have to parse the meaning of its usage in itself yourself usually. Colloquially it's anything commonly enough spammed.
>>
Back in middle school there was a short story I read that was about some girl that was raised as a boy so she can become king or something like that. Her father told her that until she is officially recognized as such she isn't allowed to sit on the king's throne.

At the end she sat on the throne because the king was absent or something and the daughter of the king (which fell in love with her) said that she is pregnant from her. The story ended with her trapped between proving that she is a girl or be married, something like that, it was an open ending.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I would like to find it again.
>>
If I want to read Gorgias, where should I start
>>
>>7653913

Is that it for now?

Is that all the advice that I need and would find sufficient as a stemfag who intends to pick up writing as a hobby?
>>
>>7652770
Gf wants to read more and enjoys reading young adult lit, with her favorite author being John Green. Any other books or authors that are similar?
>>
>>7655646
The dialogue or the sophist?
>>
>>7655695
The sophist
>>
>>7655687
Try Jane Eyre

>>7655713
Encomium of Helen
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.