[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Shakespeare >Dante >Joyce >Pynchon Tell me why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (546KB, 1293x893px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
546KB, 1293x893px
>Shakespeare
>Dante
>Joyce
>Pynchon

Tell me why Catholics aren't the goats of literature
>>
>>7652175
symbolism is passe
now
>>
tao lin is not catholic

alt lit one
original poster zero
>>
>>7652175
because joyce literally made a book about not being cholic
because pynchon is none of the things he was raised as
>>
>>7652175
There's a profound aesthetic experience inherent to the Catholic cult. Pass some time at mass or at an authentic Catholic Church as the ones in Europe or Latin America, and you'll see what I mean. The rituals, the paintings, the prayers (they're basically the first poems you learn by memory). The whole experience of the Catholic religion makes you feel reverence and fear before an enormous tradition and an apprehension of something bigger than you. Most other Christians I've known may have a deeper relationship with the sacred texts, but none of them hace the variety of aesthetic artifacts that Catholics have.

Well, at least that may be a reason.
>>
Catholics are more likely to be inclined towards a humanistic education.
>>
>>7652215
I was born an Anglican and am now agnostic, but I would be a Catholic if I ever returned to Christianity; which I doubt will ever happen.
>>
>>7652223
I was raised a Catholic in Mexico (even worse: Guanajuato). I had a classic fedora-tier conversion into agnosticism and the cult of science as a teenager, and I came to revile the Church. I'm irreversibly a non-believer, but I now go to Church from time to time to look at the paintings, hear the chanting, kneel and pray with my community. It's beautiful, anon. Maybe you could try it.
>>
really? no one is gonna call out OP for passing off shakespeare as catholic when that's super controversial?

but i agree catholics are the best. embrace institutional christianity faggots.
>>
>>7652175
I'm inclined to agree with the general sentiment but not all of those choices in particular. Why not

>O'Connor
>Wolfe
>Chesterton
>>
>>7652241
Heathen desu
>>
>>7652241
But what if I don't believe in God?
>>
>>7652175
>>7652203
Even Dante wasn't catholic.
>>
me>>7652223
not me>>7652745

>>7652241
I would definitely consider it, there is an High Anglican Church near my home that is beautiful. It is Catholic in its rituals and beliefs, but doesn't recognise the Pope.
>>
>>7652751
He was, but he was not the theologian that many critics have made him out to be.
>>
>>7652754
He was quite knowledable of theology and especially Aquians.
>>
>>7652767
I wasn't calling his learning into question, but his achievement. It's worth is as dramatic poetry, not theology.
>>
>>7652794
Sorry, I wasn't calling his achievement into question (The Divine Comedy itself), but I was saying that I don't think he intended to proselytise for the Church.
>>
>>7652754
Probably because he wasn't a theologian
>>
>>7652797
>I was saying that I don't think he intended to proselytise for the Church.

well no shit sherlock.
>>
>>7652803
Do you sit smugly after making such dumb comments? I am making that claim myself.
>>
>>7652806
Is this thread full of retards? I was making the point that despite his lack of a fundamentalist attitude, he was still a Catholic. Do people always read posts outside of context?
>>
>>7652826
well no shit sherlock.
>>
>>7652826
Dante as in all aspects an orthodox, devout Catholic.
>>
>>7652745
The rituals involved in religion 'work' whether you believe it or not.
>>
>>7652175
It's wider than that, the 'Magian Culture' is generally adept and attuned in some way to self-expression, we would have to include Catholic, Jewish and Orthodox authors.
>>
>>7652847
nice misconception we have there: Dante was really a Catholic but saying he was pro-clerical is pants-on-head retarded

from Inferno XIX:
« "Ahi, Costantin, di quanto mal fu matre,

non la tua conversion, ma quella dote che da te prese il primo ricco patre! »
(vv. 115-117)

For those who don't know italian, here dante openly tells that the temporal power of the papacy is downright evil: the (falsified, but whatever in this context) gift Constantine made to the pope is nothing but source of the corruption of the clergy

or also in purgatory XXXIII 31-90, with the prophecy of Beatrice he states again that the church is absolutely corrupted
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.