[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was tragedy considered a higher art form than comedy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Comedy and Tragedy.jpg (38KB, 489x381px) Image search: [Google]
Comedy and Tragedy.jpg
38KB, 489x381px
Why was tragedy considered a higher art form than comedy?
>>
File: image.jpg (129KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129KB, 600x600px
Tragedy managed to revive the consideration of the object which the protagonist had aimed at.
>>
>>7648816

Will you explain this more please?
>>
Can anyone think of a Greek comedy that is a farce? Like Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice?
>>
It takes more muscles to frown :)
>>
comedy release the intent and sometimes the meaning, through laughter we return to the primordial, the laughter makes the most extreme into something trivial by a turn of illogical outburst
>>
Tradgedy sounds the depths of the soul
>>
>>7648808
>was
>>
>>7648808
I talk about the dark humor because it is the kind with the least consensus, contrary to the genre burlesque or grotestque.

You have a disrespect towards a thing (which makes you laugh) which is, in itself, not funny for most people, and even worse, a thing which is a pain for the person bearing the hardship. This is disrespect towards a sacred thing by somebody not involved. Ex: a famous massacre from WW2: the german soldiers cooked the local baker in his oven. The germans were hysterical. this is funny. It is so sad, that your indignation becomes coated in the ridiculous. Sometimes we can find sadism as well in a laugh. With dark humor, you trace a frontier between the event and your self. This is a revolt. If the sad person manages to have a laugh at his predicaments, it only shows a strong personality IMO.

Nonetheless, you can find a notion of respect as well. Let's recall that a (dis)respect always implies a step back, a distance, from a thing, of the person showing respect to that thing. The previous paragraph talked about a layer of humor tacked on some tragic, some horror, some misery. Some call this the bitter laugh instead of a dark humor. In other words, we attach a seriousness to the human condition, to the life, to the universe but choose to laugh about it. With the bitter laugh, we elevate ourselves from the reality for The reality is a serious business beforehand.
By the new definition of a dark humor, on the contrary, we could say that the reality is absurd, an absurdity that we cannot grasp in full and even bear.
There are two cases: to laugh when we should whine, to whine when we should laugh.
On the one hand, with the bitter laugh, we can laugh from something, but instead we should have cried about it. On the second hand, we cry about something whereas we should laugh about it, we should mock the reality, the human destiny. The tragic does not exist, it was mystification from the outset. This is the entry point of the respect.
>>
>>7648915
Are memes tragedy or comedy?
>>
I thought because tragedy provides the audience with an insight into the human condition and the nature of the world we live in.
That is more nuanced in comedy and is found mainly in the fool archetype.
>>
>>7649198
Memes transcend that dichotomy.
>>
>>7648808
i think that tragedy required more skill from the actors and in turn had a more powerful effect than comedy
>>
>>7648808
Sam Hyde wasn't born yet.
>>
>>7649262
Get a load of this aesthetic socratist.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.