[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

my existential dilemma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1449884402149.jpg (164KB, 640x444px) Image search: [Google]
1449884402149.jpg
164KB, 640x444px
without sounding too pretentious, i think this is one of my biggest problems in life: i want to be a logical thinker and be objective about things, and yet when i try, it seems to lessen my enjoyment in life.

for instance, if i'm really enjoying anything, like a movie, or a walk in a park, it seems to break the spell when i really try to analyze why i enjoy it. its like when you have fuzzy feelings for someone you love, and you just reduce it to chemical reactions in the brain.

have any authors written about this conflict, of wanting to be logical but also wanting to almost abandon logic/thinking and just feel?

It feels stupid to say "Fuck it, I dont care about facts, I just want to be happy..." and yet often, it seems like my mind desperately wants to do this, to liberate itself from the idea of objectivity and analysis.
>>
>>7646734
please have sex
>>
File: hypocrite.jpg (63KB, 480x608px) Image search: [Google]
hypocrite.jpg
63KB, 480x608px
You should check out the recommended books. They all address exactly what you're feeling. Every one of them.
>>
I go through the same thing

alcohol and weed will do
>>
you can rest easy that the last two centuries and a half have basically been a reaction against that kind of thing, and that the kind of foundations you want to lay for being a critical person without eroding all majesty or value from the world are so numerous and well-elaborated that they're pretty much axiomatic for any reasonably deep 20th century thinker. it's to the point that the people explicitly TALKING about it might disappoint you more than the ones who don't, because they tend to be the ones with dramatic, monolithic accounts of how to solve it (rooted in some one mega-philosophy) that are more likely to fall flat.

you might try looking into romanticism, or mid-century russian lit in particular, the former of which grappled with the Enlightenment legacy of naive reductivism, and the latter with extreme reductivist "nihilism" which was trendy with "superfluous men" during russia's big "what the fuck even are we?? what am i?" period. but honestly, just stick with it for a few years, and you'll end up pooping through the Wall of Pain that is babby's first existential crisis and into some kind of weird esoteric shit that you don't even bother explaining but just nod and smile gently and vaguely recall that you're some kind of weird fucking emersonian transcendentalist emanationist.

maybe the best thing would be a comprehensive reading in modern philosophy beginning with descartes and ending with the 20th century phenomenologists heideggerians. it's way more supple than you think at this point, and once you start to see the contours, you'll just find it funny that you used to be freaking out over the post-enlightenment jitters. that's like level 8 and we're already on Level 56: Weird Post-Catholic Hermeneuticists.
>>
You're making the common mistake of coupling feelings with their physical prerequisites. Sure, love is caused by "chemicals", but the cause isn't what love is. The sensation of love is not the chemicals that make it up. The sum of the parts is different than the parts themselves.
>>
>>7646770

when ive had a few drinks that's when i feel really alive. i know that sounds cliche as fuck, but there's a lot of truth to it. it's like when my feelings are no longer "blocked" by the analytical mind and your true self comes out
>>
>>7646786

You seem to know way more about philosophy than me. I really enjoyed your post anon.

Sometimes it seems like eastern philosophy is more focused on just taking it all in, being zen.
>>
>>7646744
first post best post
>>
>>7646734
Why do you want to be logical and objective? What do you think you'll gain from it? You say here >>7646969 that you analytical mind blocks your feelings, which are your true self; don't think of it that way. Reason and intuition aren't diametrically opposed, and you don't have to live by one or the other. Pick and choose.

Anyway, as others have already said, literally every book written in the past couple centuries is more or less about this. I wouldn't recommend Eastern philosophy. I like it, but I don't think it would do you much good at this point.
>>
>>7646744
Virgin, here. OP, let's listen to this guy (seriously).
>>
>>7646734
Same story here.
Sometimes I'm just too much logical and it piss me off
I really like that part of me and discover more and more

I think the real problem is not knowing about the facts and give less importance to the feels
Maybe it's just about the mood you're in
You can be logical and shitty but enjoy the things

Stop being such a fag and just live, maybe you'll think about the reasons before

And I'm not saying "be stupid" or "be temperamental" just think about the things you should be thinking

The distraction came in both ways. To give less importance to the thinking and to give less importance to the living ...

Sorry bout bad English
(I'm not virgin)
>>
aww, babby's first philosophy
so cute
>>
>>7646976
Clearly b8

>>7646786
how u get 8 so bad
>>
>he asks for help instead of just googling philosophers and finding the ones that resonate most with him

no offense but just the fact that you made this thread shows you probably won't ever accomplish what you want, all you do is pick up some books read, take notes, think over things and think some more you dumbfuck.
>>
>>7646734
>It feels stupid to say "Fuck it, I dont care about facts, I just want to be happy..."

Yes.

Why does happiness have to be the ultimate end-goal and good? Because it feels nice? There are a lot of things that are good for you that don't feel nice, but in the end they're satisfying because they ultimately help you with something. Happiness and the good aren't necessarily the same thing—and one won't necessarily lead to the other. If you continue to read as you age, you'll find that a large theme is that virtue and goodness do not always lead to happiness, but that is a cheap way to view the value of virtue and goodness, and if you think that way you'll probably fail.

Live more. Read more. Live will be fine, and if it isn't you can at least take solace in knowing it'll end regardless of what you do, and then it won't matter anyways.
>>
>>7647451
Yeah, but you know we all go through that.

Who among us doesn't have a daily crisis of existential dread? Perhaps the only difference between the youngfags and oldfags is that the oldfags have learned not to talk about it anymore. We take it on the chin.
>>
>>7646734
You don't sound pretentious, you just sound like an /r/science level autist who unironically posts black science guy on your facebook who tells everyone about how all feelings are brain chemicals.
Life isn't an objective experience, and trying to make analyze why is still colored by subjectivity, albeit one where you have yourself convinced you are being objective. It's impossible to be subjective regarding why you enjoy something.
>>
File: 1439955987045.jpg (36KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1439955987045.jpg
36KB, 480x480px
>>7648136
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.