[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /lit/'s favorite translation of Canterbury Tales?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 1414477077.jpg (46KB, 449x277px) Image search: [Google]
1414477077.jpg
46KB, 449x277px
What is /lit/'s favorite translation of Canterbury Tales?
>>
>>7645085
The Middle English one.
>>
>needing a translation
It's written in English
>>
It's perfectly accessible in its original state. Just get an edition with notes if you're having such trouble
>>
>>7645101
OP is probably non Anglo. Though he gave us no hint to his nationality.
>>
>>7645099
Im referring about the middle english version
>>
>>7645119
All you need to know is that English is not my mother language, but I have been speaking fluently for a while now.
>>
>>7645128
>>7645099

inb4 everybody can read that, go back to le reddit pleb
>>
>>7645085
Translation from English into English. Lol
>>
>>7645137
Middle english to modern english, theres a difference
>>
>>7645140
There's no need to translate middle to modern.
>>
>>7645130
The reason I brought it up is that people recommend translations into English but don't realize that many might need translations into their own languages.
>>
>>7645085
is this one any good? i got it for frees
>>
>>7645140
Lol, sure Lad. But you think it's different enough?
>>
>>7645085
If you are an English speaker, you can read the original text if it has good footnotes
>>
>>7645159

Here's an excerpt from the knight's tale in ye olde english:

What sholde I al day of his wo endite?
Whan he endured hadde a yeer or two
This crueel torment, and this peyne and wo,
At Thebes in his contree, as I seyde,
Upon a nyght in sleep as he hym leyde,
Hym thoughte how that the wynged god Mercurie
Biforn hym stood, and bad hym to be murie.
His slepy yerde in hond he bar uprighte,
An hat he werede upon hise heris brighte.

Why don't you decipher that for me Absalon? If you are not too busy eating ass...
>>
>>7645159
> But, by my thrift, yet shal I blere hire ye
> For al the sleighte in hir philosophye.
> The more queynte crekes that they make,
> The mor wol I stele whan I take.
> In stide of flour, yet wol I yeve hem bren.
now please tell me what this means. english isn't my mother tongue but i doubt a native wouldn't have at least some trouble understanding this in its entirety.
>>
>>7645160
I understand, but I want to appreciate the book as close to its original language as I can. I am learning German to I can read Herman Hesse in its original language.
>>
>>7645205

See:
>>7645215
>>
>>7645215
What should I all day of his woe indite?
When he has endured a year or two
This cruel torment, and this pain and woe
At Thebes in his country, as I said
Upon a night in sleep as he himself laid
He thought how that the winged god Mercury
Stood before him, and bade him to be merry
His sleepy ??? in hand he bare upright
A hat he wore upon his ??? bright

Not too bad
>>
>>7645198
I got the Barnes and Noble version, its good so far. I took a peak at the Penguin Classics version, I didn't know what to make of it.
>>
>>7645241
So, should I just read the text and whatever looks like finnegans wake I should just interpret it phonetically?
>>
>>7645230
That's not that bad. The modern text conversation/ slang has just has many alternate spellings.
>>
>>7645248
For the most part. You should read the text with an edition that has plenty of footnotes. It would be really hard to get through the text on your own, but you lose a lot if you read a modernised version.
>>
>>7645262
Thanks anon, I will do that.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.