[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was his best book, /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: StephenKing_0.jpg (389KB, 2500x1673px) Image search: [Google]
StephenKing_0.jpg
389KB, 2500x1673px
What was his best book, /lit/?
>>
it
>>
I liked Misery. Haven't read any of his other works.
>>
The Stand.

Even *he* thinks it's his best work.

Though if we're including the Bachman books, then the correct answer is The Long Walk.
>>
Literally read It: the book
>>
>>7643347
The Stand
>>
Carrie, for that supernatural columbine vibe
>>
>>7643347
Eye of the Dragon.
>>
>>7643347
Misery, I guess. He's not a great writer.
>>
>>7643347
Hos face looks weird.
>>
The Dark Tower series as a whole crushes everything ever, but the first two-thirds of The Stand rival it
Misery is his best novel, but i agree with >>7643357 about The Long Walk
>>
File: 1449277896231.png (381KB, 954x740px) Image search: [Google]
1449277896231.png
381KB, 954x740px
>>7644094
fukin hate hos with weird faces
>>
>>7643347
an immensely inadequate writer on a sentence-by-sentence, paragraph-by-paragraph, book-by-book basis.
>>
Misery or 11/22/63
>>
>>7645469
>The Dark Tower series as a whole crushes everything ever

This only is right for the first 3 or 4 books.
>>
>>7646989
cool did not ask
>>
>>7643347
His short stories and novellas are a lot better than any of his full-length books.
>>
Why do people say King is good in any way I seriously can not understand it
>>
>>7647081
plebs gonna pleb
>>
>>7647081
I bought some of his books. Did I fall for a meme? I haven't read any of them yet, but why exactly is he an inadequate author? I get that he isn't writing really meaningful works, but they certainly are good stories that were made into good movies. I figure if Stanley Kubric had a hard on for his stories then they must be good. That is not sound reasoning so tell me why he is a bad writer please.
>>
>>7647110

Don't worry about it, the people here tend not to read anyway. Read one or two and decide whether or not you like him.
>>
>>7643357
the long walk is the correct answer
Bachman is based, but salem's lot is also really great
>>
>>7647110
4chan is a contrarian outlet. people here come, read posts of people disagreeing with anything that is acceptable by most in the world, imitate it until they start believing it and finally indulge in it
>>
>>7647142
Thanks for being reasonable.

>>7647168
So true.
>>
>>7647110
Mostly because he's terrible at endings and typically just keeps writing and writing long after he has any idea of what he actually wants to do with a particular book.

He's a short story writer who never really learned how to write a full-length novel, but that never stopped him from trying. Over and over and over again.
>>
>>7647624
This pretty much, King's short stories are pretty good.

Also, the Dome has probably the worst ending I've ever read
>>
>>7647110

>his endings suck, as said before
>he repeats characters a lot (lol alcoholic writers)
>like his favourite author, J.K. Rowling, his writing is filled with cliched phrases
>his longer works tend to be overbloated
>general inconsistency, most of the time its obvious he just shat out a book to make a quick buck

His works turn into good movies because King's a visual writer, like most pleb authors. He's pretty much describing horror movies he wants to see. Sometimes this doesn't matter because he can be effective in this way; sometimes it turns out to be just as silly as in his crappier movies.
>>
His best book is the book that he didn't write.
>>
ON WRITING
>>
I'll never read anything by him ever again after reading The Stand. Biggest waste of time in my life.
>>
>>7647166
salem's lot sucked
>>
>>7647168
Appealing to the masses and being high literature aren't always exclusive - maybe Dickens as an example, Tolstoy seems pretty popular as well - but in most cases they don't overlap.
>>
i like the ending of the stand
>>
Hes definitly not writing anything particular "high", just some easy going stories you can read quickly through and enjoy for the moment.
I don't think he even attemps to do more and why would he? He's good at what he's doing.

Although despite beeing a fan of a lot of his works I have to agree, his endings are shit 90% of the time.
>>
File: 1448163935542.gif (2MB, 350x196px) Image search: [Google]
1448163935542.gif
2MB, 350x196px
It
>>
>>7643347
The Stand and The Gunslinger are god tier
>>
File: stonewall.jpg (721KB, 1280x1898px) Image search: [Google]
stonewall.jpg
721KB, 1280x1898px
I just finished re-reading his short story, Dolan's Cadilac. I also read Poe's short story, the Cask of Amontillado.

Almost every author does the "buried alive" story. Its a write of passage.
>>
>>7643347
Reminder that King is a better writer than 99.9% of this board
>>
>>7649502
I liked the ending of The Dark Tower series.
>>
>>7644094

Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
>>
I dropped The Long Walk like 30 pages in. Dunno, felt like I was wasting time and felt too simple.

Any other book of his I should try, with a bit more substance? I'm not sure if I want to waste 500+ pages on a meme author though.
>>
Stephen King is an enjoyable cat
He is the truest expression of authorism and the de-facto writer of Americana "big mac" novels
>>
>>7649776
>99.9%
oh come on man, overkilled it
>>
/lit/ doesn't like Stephen King because to /lit/, Stephen is alien in that he is not a house slug, chained to his playbox, obsessed with self-validation. Stephen is a person, like other people.
>>
>>7649914
Actually that has nothing to do with it.

Most /lit/ posters don't like him because Bloom doesn't like him.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.