[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/ I've been wanting to read this book for a while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: faust.jpg (38KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
faust.jpg
38KB, 309x475px
Hey /lit/
I've been wanting to read this book for a while now. Still need help on making a decision
>>
read it you faggot

also start with the greeks

(not a meme for once cause you'll really fucking need it for part 2)
>>
where this fuck can i get a copy of that its like i never see a whole translation usually searched give thomas mann's remake
>>
>>7641725
? are you searching doctor faustus? just search goethe's faust.

also pic in OP cuts out most of part 2 so its not a whole translation.
>>
>>7641725
>thomas mann's remake

It doesn't even have the same name
>>
File: Dr-faustus-B-1616.jpg (48KB, 314x459px) Image search: [Google]
Dr-faustus-B-1616.jpg
48KB, 314x459px
read doctor faustus instead
it's quick and funny
>>
>>7641735
>instead

why not both faggot
>>
>>7641719
>translated pottery

lol no
>>
>>7641798
That particular version has both the original in German and in English.

But I guess you wouldn't know that, because you are a pleb.
>>
I've got a version translated by Stuart Atkins, I can't compare it to any other version, as it is the only one I've read (well, partially read). I thoroughly enjoyed the first part, but when it entered into the second part, I was out of my depths.
I could hardly follow the story, I got bogged down and put the book away.
So what I'm saying is--like other anons will say--start with the Greeks. There are an extreme amount of references to Greek gods and tales.
>>
Do it
>>
David Luke's translation is a wonder in and of itself. I can't recommend it enough.
>>
>>7642518
Well, it's an Oxford World's Classic, so I believe you.
>>
>>7641877
get the norton critical one, nto for the translation but for the interpretive notes
>>
>>7641719
>making a decision
Just read the goddamn book. Jesus Christ how hard can it be to grab a bunch of paper with shit written on it and try to understand it?
>>
>>7642999
I need help interpreting this post. I'm not sure, but it seems the point you're trying to get across has something to do with the repeating digits at the end of your post number.
>>
I have that edition, Kaufmann did a fun spirited translation. It only includes fragments of part 2 as a footnote/epilogue though. Even though part 1 is ostensibly the Faust everyone talks about, if you're interested in part 2 get something else.
>>
File: faust.jpg (294KB, 900x593px) Image search: [Google]
faust.jpg
294KB, 900x593px
Is Part 2 the final boss of western literature?
>>
>>7643493
I don't think anyone knows what the fuck part 2 is
>>
You should definitely tackle this in parts. Unless you have a firm grasp of each work, which you clearly don't, you shouldn't try to discuss them both at once; while this method does result in a better paper when done well, when done poorly it weakens you overall. Now, start with a thesis about RnJ that is fairly broad, but able to be narrowed down. You don't want to make some universal claim, like "Romeo and Juliet presents a model of true love," or, "Romeo and Juliet demonstrates the fear of death;" everyone knows this. Likewise, don't make it speculative unless you believe you can a. prove your point and b. prove it significantly alters our reading of a key scene. I'm talking about theses like "it was all a dream," or, "they get reincarnated." stuff like this is schlock, mostly. There are exceptions; you won't be one.

Now, once you have this thesis, which by the way should round out your introductory paragraph (and don't think it has to be the last sentence, or even be contained to a single sentence), all you have to do is hunt down the relevant passages to build out your point. Generally you'll want to do this paragraph by paragraph. Try and break down your claim into three parts, and find a passage that demonstrates each part. Then you can easily block out this part of the essay as such:

Body Paragraph 1:
-Topic sentence
-Quotation from passage
-Interpretative analysis of the passage, making sure to explicitly like your topic sentence's claim to the verbiage of the quote. Close read here.
-transition into next paragraph

etc for the rest of your argument. Now that you've really fleshed out your reading of RnJ, only then should you go back and analyze one or two (preferably two) passages from TKAM. Follow the same methodology, but include a bit where you tie it back into your reading of RnJ, whether to highlight concordance or indicate a contrast. In either case, make sure it's clear how the relationship enhances or sharpens our reading of each work.

After this, go back and edit your thesis to include your work with TKAM. your overall claim should be about the relationship of the one work to other over the issue of a particular theme. use your analyses to guide you in this direction.

You can conclude however you like—however seems appropriate. If you go back and find the significance piece is lacking, the conclusion is a good place to drop that in. As always, make sure at this point that your topic sentences are all supported by the passages and subsequent analyses, and that your thesis is likewise propped up by those same topic sentences. this tree-like model is a good way to make sure your paper is coherent in its overall structure.

Thesis
|
|---------|
Topic Topic--------------------|
| |-----------------|
|----------------| Passage Passage
Passage Passage

make sure everything feeds up the tree.

the important thing is to trust yourself as a reader.
>>
>>7643541

whoops, wrong thread
>>
>>7643543
it's all good friendo
>>
>>7643493
>>7643519
kek, I read Faust and read the whole thing, then learned later that nearly everyone skips Part 2.

I honestly think it's fascinating. I'm sure it's beautiful in the German, it's fairly beautiful translated. It's basically Faust being a god and doing whatever he wants, and what he wants is to seek the ultimate expression of knowledge and beauty.
>>
>>7643548
>fairly beautiful translated
which translation did you read?
>>
File: 20160131_032254.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160131_032254.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Check muh faust collection senpai
>>
>>7643677
>muh faust collection
>all English
>not even one cheap shitty Reclam for appearances
>>
>>7643706
>buying for appearance

Oy vey
>>
>>7641722
pls don't read part 2, tho, it's even worse than part 1
>>
>>7641738
because göta sucks ass
>>
>>7643519
i know what it is. it's an old guy wanking on all the books he's read.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.