[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't want to sound like a pleb but this was really a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: book+cover+final.jpg (2MB, 1000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
book+cover+final.jpg
2MB, 1000x1250px
I don't want to sound like a pleb but this was really a pain in the ass to get through. Dante's character is one of the most unsympathetic I've ever had to follow. Couldn't relate with him at all.
I would probably had to read it through again to really appreciate the vision of the Hell that Dante presented but after first reading it didn't leave any marks on me at all.

Also I think that it aged horribly due to altered conception of Christianity. I don't know...I was pretty hyped for it though.
I'm talking just about the Inferno, how are the other two standing?
>>
Maybe you're just a pleb. What translation you reading?
>>
>>7641048
>Couldn't relate with him at all.
Am I really reading this?
>>
>>7641200
Yes, you are reading it.
>>
>>7641048
Quality bait
>>
>>7641249
>reading literature to relate with the characters
>expecting to relate to someone from 700 years ago
>expecting to relate to someone from an epic poem about religion
>>
Honestly OP, you'll find that with a lot of classics in general. They are important and they are necessary for a long-term literary education but there's an undercurrent of "this is dense and fucking boring" when it comes to a lot of classics that people don't want to admit because they don't want to seem to be a pleb.

I admire your honesty, anon.
>>
>>7641048
Try again in six months.
>>
File: 1452252351447.gif (3MB, 260x312px) Image search: [Google]
1452252351447.gif
3MB, 260x312px
>>7641338
lol'ed but i dont know why.

OP I was excited also and i read the first 3 cantos and put it down for a year and a half. still waiting to muster up the inner strength to start reading it again.
>>
>>7642686
oh snap dude it's a dude
>>
>>7642686
>no wang shaking the skirt

why even bother making this shitty tumblr length gif
>>
>>7641048
Dante's character is unsympathethic because he's not a character. He's Dante Alighieri the person reacting to what would happen if he got to explore beyond the grave.
Plus the only valid reason to read la divina commedia today is because of the beauty of the language so if you're reading in translation just don't bother
>>
>>7641048
Perhaps it's the translation. I read somewhere that Longfellow's is terribly hard to follow, and Cary's is a bit better.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.