[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Essential Lucifer Reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 9

Because the other thread is by a 17 year old edgelord,..

>The Bible
>Paradise Lost
>Faust
>Divine Comedy
>Master and Margerita, Mikhail Bulgakov
>The Mysterious Stranger, Mark Twain
>The Screwtape Letter, C. S. Lewis
>>
>Melmoth the Wanderer
>>
>>7638289
>Dictionary of the Khazars, Milorad Pavic
>Unique Item, Milorad Pavic
>Doctor Faustus, Thomas Mann

Someone should make a chart
>>
>>7638385
>Dictionary of the Khazars, Milorad Pavic
holy shit, somebody here besides me has read that?
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Lucifer-Vol-1-Devil-Gateway/dp/1563897334

:^)
>>
>>7638398
It's a pretty well known work, kek.
>>
>>7638289
>Because the other thread is by a 17 year old edgelord,..
>>>/his/
>>>/x/
>>
>>7638401
everytime i've brought it up here i just get "what's that? sounds dumb" or silence.
>>
>>7638402
"other thread" i was referring to: >>7633643

and this is for lucifer as a literary character, not a historical study of religion or supernatural beings.
>>
>>7638398

I really like his experimental format! I will be reading Seven Deadly Sins by him this year as well.

By any chance, do you know any other writer that has a similar style? (oniric/experimental)
>>
>>7638355
this
>>
pls everyone who is posting in this thread read this book and save ur life

http://www.amazon.com/The-Full-Armor-God-Defending/dp/0800795423
>>
>>7638421
no, i wish i did.
>>
>>7638435
>this one weird trick
>by anon

fuck off faget
>>
>>7638437

What a shame, his work is certainly unique.
>>
>>7638421
Even though it's a pretty blatant copy in terms of style, A Dictionary of Maqiao by Han Shaogong is worth reading.
>>
File: Lucifer reading chart draft.png (825KB, 950x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Lucifer reading chart draft.png
825KB, 950x1600px
This is a first draft.
>>
>>7638385
looks nice, but
>>7638966
while dictionary of the khazars is an awesome book, i don't recall satan or lucifer as a character. or i may have just completely missed the allegory.
>>
>>7638966
Omg, I'm reading the master and the margarita atm.

Also, add Lucifer's court
>>
File: Isabelle.jpg (70KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
Isabelle.jpg
70KB, 500x357px
>>7639019
>while dictionary of the khazars is an awesome book, i don't recall satan or lucifer as a character. or i may have just completely missed the allegory.

Well, I haven't read the book. I'm basing this chart on what other people recommend.

>>7639032
>Also, add Lucifer's court

Okay.

Also should I add Mann's Doctor Faustus or Marlowe's? Or both...
>>
>>7639064
re: khazars, i figured, that's why i mentioned it.

re: faustus, marlowe's for sure. for a german version would mann's or goethe's be better? suppose it might depend on translations.
>>
File: Lucifer reading chart draft.png (1015KB, 950x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Lucifer reading chart draft.png
1015KB, 950x1600px
I'm going to bed now. If anyone is interested I shall finish it tomorrow. Keep making suggestions.
>>
>>7639032
>Lucifer's court
that looks like a very interesting book to read, but how much of it is focused on characterization and development of lucifer and his motivations, and how much of it is travel journal and vaguely recalled mythology?
>>
Isn't lucifer an allegory for anal sex?
>>
>>7639199
do people care about order, or am i just excessively anal retentive?

>the bible
>divine comedy
>paradise lost

>marlowe's faustus
>goethe's faust
>the master and margarita

>the mysterious stranger
>melmoth the wanderer
>the screwtape letters
>>
>>7639249
*if i am the only one, that's okay, just keep doing your thing anon and i'll just save the pic and rearrange to my little ocd's heart's content. your chart is much more aesthetic than anything i could smash together in paint.
>>
>>7639199
thank you for putting effort into this!!!
>>
>>7639199
Satan's Diary by Leonid andreyev

(i know this is axe)

i told you about this already pleb
>>
>>7639294
looks good. i'm especially interested to see how he has people outwit satan.
>>
>>7638289
>>The Bible
>Lucifer
Confirmed for not reading the bible.
>>
>>7639464
>being pedantic about the name

the point of language is to make an idea understood. you understand what i'm talking about. so fuck off.
>>
>>7639517
There is no such thing as "true" understanding.
>>
>>7639647
>>>/his/
>>
>>7639682
>>>>/his/

Ah, the new, "I lost the argument."
>>
>>7639134
Blood meridian
>>
>>7639804
>Ah, the old, "this argument is about philosophy, not literature, so it doesn't belong in /lit/"

ftfy.

but thanks for the bump. :)
>>
>>7639824
i've heard some people interpret the judge as the devil. i take it you see him that way? i haven't read it, so i don't have an opinion of my own yet.
>>
>>7639825
>Understanding literature is philosophical.
>>
File: Lucifer Reading Chart almost.png (1MB, 948x1542px) Image search: [Google]
Lucifer Reading Chart almost.png
1MB, 948x1542px
>>7639464

What should I name it then?

>>7639294

Fuck you.

>>7639249

There you go.

So, I think we are almost done.
Should I leave "Khazars"? What should I add/remove?
>>
Falling Angel by Hjortsberg
>>
>>7640278
Impractical font.
>>
>>7640528
I think it's alright.
>>
>The Songs of Maldoror, Lautréamont

Does it count?
>>
Are there any unbiased, sympathetic portraits of Satan? a la Wicked, about the wicked witch of the west.
>>
>>7640278
looks awesome. thanks for doing all that. title is perfect, ignore the jackasses who are being argumentative just to be argumentative. i lean towards drop khazars, but maybe wait and see if that tripfag who suggested it has a compelling reason to leave it.
>>
>>7638289
>makes essential lucifer reading thread
>calls someone else an edgelord
>>
>>7638289
Master and Margarita as an AMC series taking place in 70s LA would be the most amazing show ever. Same cast of characters, just on another jaunt.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqK-J9S2GXs

Thread theme song. Devil ending the 60s.
>>
>>7640750
Satan and Lucifer are not the same entity in the SMT series of games, but in them Lucifer is intentionally portrayed in a relatively sympathetic light.
>>
>>7640792
>not being able to differentiate an interest in studying differing depictions of lucifer as a classical literary character and his reflection of contemporary life of the author and "lol, satanism!"
>>
anybody read I, Lucifer? I picked it up at a bookstore I used to work at for about $3
>>
>>7640809
South Park, as well.
>>
> the black spider - gotthelf
>>
>His Dark Materials
>>
>>7638289
So the snake in the garden was a lamia? Makes sense.
>>
>>7640688
seems at least as pertinent as melmoth, and more than lucifer's court

>>7641304
maybe. how much is the devil a developed character, and how much is he just a catalyst for the conflict?

>>7641381
no
>>
>>7640883
no. have you started it?
>>
>making charts of books you haven't read

Fuck off pseud
>>
>>7639019
Clearing why I think Dictionary of the Khazars should be on the list:

there are entries on the Dictionary regarding demons for the three religions mentioned on the book (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism), these characters play a mayor antagonist role against the guys who try to put together the dictionary.

I recall two of them, the one that plays guitar with his six fingers in the islamic part of the dictionary (and talks with the islamic protagonist), and the one that works as a helper for the aristocrat in the christian part of the dictionary.

However, I am open to opinions of other people who have read this book to see if it should be part of the chart.
>>
Just finished The Creation of the World and Other Business by Arthur Miller, probably not essential but Lucifer was one of the best characters in it.
>>
>>7641381
>has nothing to do with lucifer
First book was good. Second book was awesome. Third book shat all over the other two. Also, ending was depressing as fuck.
>>
>>7643016
Lord Asriel was meant to be Lucifer, I thought
>>
>>7638398
what's the difference between the male / female version?
>>
>>7638289
>>Faust
Which one is better, Goethe or Marlow’s?.
>>
>>7643196
goethe's
>>
>>7642427
it's almost like we have a bunch of people here offering suggestions and input on books they have read. funny how group projects work that way...

>>7642437
you recall it better than i do, so i'll defer to your opinion.

>>7643044
dunno. but i have the male. no particular reason that's the one i have beyond that's the one amazon sent me.

>>7643196
marlowe's has the advantage of not needing to worry about translation.
>>
>>7642466
is lucifer a compelling, creative and interesting character in it? or is it just a slightly dated "lol, god's dumb and bitter" play?
>>
File: nekromantik.gif (988KB, 475x356px) Image search: [Google]
nekromantik.gif
988KB, 475x356px
>>7643044
A paragraph.

Female:
>
And he gave me a few of the Xeroxed sheets of paper lying on the table in
front of him. As he passed them to me, his thumb brushed mine and I
trembled from the touch. I had the sensation that our past and our future
were in our fingers and that they had touched. And so, when I began to read
the proffered pages, I at one moment lost the train of thought in text and
drowned it in my own feelings. In these seconds of absence and
self-oblivion, centuries passed with every read but uncomprehended and
unabsorbed line, and when, after a few moments, I came to and re-established
contact with the text, I knew that the reader who returns from the open seas
of his feelings is no longer the same reader who embarked on that sea only a
short while ago. I gained and learned more by not reading than by reading
those pages, and when I asked Dr. Muawja where he had got them he said
something that astonished me even more.

Male:

>And he gave me a few of the Xeroxed sheets of paper lying on the table in
front of him. I could have pulled the trigger then and there. There
wouldn't be a better moment. There was only one lone witness present in the
garden -- and he was a child. But that's not what happened. I reached out
and took those exciting sheets of paper, which I enclose in this letter.
Taking them instead of firing my gun, I looked at those Saracen fingers with
their nails like hazelnuts and I thought of the tree Halevi mentions in his
book on the Khazars. I thought of how each and every one of us is just such
a tree the taller we grow toward the sky, through the wind and rain toward
God, the deeper we must sink our roots through the mud and subterranean
waters toward hell. With these thoughts in my mind, I read the pages given
me by the green-eyed Saracen. They shattered me, and in disbelief I asked
Dr. Muawja where he had got them.
>>
>>7638289

A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings
by Gabriel García Márquez
>>
I just finished the Book of Enoch, which has an account of the Watchers who were the first fallen angels. Lucifer (Azazel) is mentioned a few times. Highly recommend, just for the sake of reading about the dude who walked with God.
>>
>>7645577
i really love that title.

interested in checking out both the last two suggestions in the morning.
>>
save from page 10 bump
>>
>>
Stop bumping this. Few things on /lit/ are as bad as faggots making charts of things they haven't read with no concept of the merits, importance, and relations between the works. Pseudo intellectual posturing at its worst.

This very concept is stupid. Lucifer Satan etc. Is one of the most used characters in western lit. Randomly cherry picking a few and slapping it on an "essential" chart is a perfect demonstration of the ignorance and stupidity of this endeavor
>>
>>7649377
dick in my hiney
>>
>>7649400
nice
It's HIS time, ok?
>>
>>7649383
>Lucifer Satan etc. Is one of the most used characters in western lit

which makes him an excellent character to make a "best of" list.

and, in case you didn't notice, i didn't just go to amazon, search "lucifer" and repost their list. i'm asking fir suggestions from people who HAVE read a book, then asking questions for clarification and justification to include it as "essential".

but stay mad, and thanks for the bump. :)
>>
>>7649439
i saged it you faggot

half the stuff you have on the chart are nowhere close to "essential"

how can you get clarification/justification and evaluate it without having read it yourself? fucking pseud

saged again
>>
>>7649444
well that's okay, because i'll just respond to your response, which *will* bump it. :)
>>
>>7649444
also, not my chart. there are a couple things i wouldn't have included. and again, that's *why* i ask for clarification and justification, and if they can't provide it i disregard it.
>>
>>7649383
>>7649444
You seem to like the words faggot and pseud. Stop shitposting, please. You are wasting your and our time. Different people have read different books on the same topic and together we tried making a collective chart that is why he/she was asking for your help and opinion on which book to add/remove. Instead you come here and just rant stupid shit while not contributing anything intelligent. I think we spotted the "pseud",
>>
File: The Temptation of Saint Anthony.jpg (117KB, 453x700px) Image search: [Google]
The Temptation of Saint Anthony.jpg
117KB, 453x700px
The Temptation of Saint Anthony by Gustave Flaubert
>>
>>7638289
>tfw I'm on a board of idiots who dont understand that lucifer is used in many of these works as a one dimensional symbol to denote unfulfilled desire

heres an excercise /lit/

why is the sorrows of young werther and faust essentially the same story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MykZfESyA4
>>
>>7640283
Great book. One of the few I finished in one sitting.
>>
The Collected Works of Percy Bysshe Shelley
>>
The Monk by Matthew Lewis
>>
Why not start with Greek mythology? Hades, etc.
>>
Can we add popular books like Memnoch the Devil and The Excorcist?
>>
File: tommyboy.jpg (100KB, 800x527px) Image search: [Google]
tommyboy.jpg
100KB, 800x527px
The Devil and Tom Walker was a pretty damn good read. Very similar to Faust.
>>
>>7638289
By the way i dont think the snake in genesis is the devil. It never says its the devil. Just a snake. But christians will call anything they dont like, "the work of the devil".
>>
The Exorcism of Anneliese Michel:
>>
>>7651125
Well it makes more sense that it's the Devil, because otherwise that's pretty shitty of a random-ass snake.

Also, remember that Satan is also the Dragon in Revelation. In the ancient world, 'dragon' essentially meant 'huge snake.' That's why the python monster from Greek myth is often referred to as a 'dragon,' when it was generally just a serpent.
>>
>>7642437
I finished dictionary a week ago

while these demons have an importance in the plot (and in the structure) of the book, there's not an inquiry in the luciferine nature of them. There could be some description of their nature (devils can't see the future; devils can't act before humans, etc...) but is more like a folk-tale device than a real element.
Also don't forget that Pavic creates his own narratological universe (there are three hells for the three abramitic religions; the circular stories)

I wouldn't put this book in the list; i would thought recommend it
>>
>>7640278

No really, this chart is bad:
in dante's comedy lucifer does not talk or move or do anything; literally dante and virgil use him as a ladder to the australis hemisphere

in master and margarita satan is just a troublemaker, really nothing much interesting in his figure
>>
>>7652465
You are right, Anon.
I stand corrected.
>>
>>7652497
>in master and margarita satan is just a troublemaker, really nothing much interesting in his figure

bullshit
>>
>>7652497
thanks for providing some critical feedback instead of vaguely insulting the intent.

good point about inferno. it's a historically important representation, but it doesn't offer much in valuable literary characterization.

i haven't read master and margarita, but that's a bit disappointing if true.
>>
The History of the Devil by Vilém Flusser

>In The History of the Devil, Flusser frames the human situation from a pseudo-religious point of view. The phenomenal world, or “reality” in a general sense, is identified as the “Devil,” and that which transcends phenomena, or the philosophers’ and theologians’ “reality,” is identified as “God.”

http://www.flusserstudies.net/node/475
>>
Where's the new chart?
>>
>>7638289
What was the chick in that picture up to before the devil intervened?
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.