[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

writing films/screenplays

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: bath.jpg (178KB, 960x350px) Image search: [Google]
bath.jpg
178KB, 960x350px
This may not be entirely /lit/'s domain, but you guys are my home board so I thought you might be able to help. I'm looking to make a film where the auditory dialogue is just gibberish and the actual dialogue is written in subtitles, but to such a point where it becomes clear that the narrator is writing the subtitles and they don't necessarily reflect the characters. Mainly, I just want to highlight the two forms of communication going on (unintelligible speech/body language vs. subtitles), and clearly distinguish the observer (the narrator/subtitle-writer) from the subjects (the characters).

Now, I'm a student, so I don't have the money to hire a bunch of actors/buy a bunch of equipment to make this work. I've been considering just using myself, but I feel that would change the work and I haven't done much acting. Does anybody have experience with writing screenplays and making (cheap) films from them? Any feedback on my idea would also be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>7634512
Really just grab some friends with acting experience (we've all got at least a few) and direct the shit out of them until they do what you want. You can use an iphone 6 as a camera and apple earbuds as makeshift lavalier mics, it's much easier than you'd expect. Look up a movie called Tangerine, it was shot completely with iPhones
>>
>>7634512
I saw a long time ago a movie similar to your concept, it was an old french student movie from the 60, with a clear situationist influence, I think it was called "them rock" and its really hard to find on the internet
>>
>>7634564
Sadly, I really don't have any friends, it's just my first year of university so I'm having a tough time meeting anybody. I've heard of Tangerine, thanks, I do have a nicer camera though so I've been thinking of using that for quality. Do you have any other tips for meeting actors? Do you think I could/should do it myself? Why or why not? What should I keep in mind if I do? Thanks again.
>>
>>7634577
I'm really interested in seeing this, but I can't really find it on the Internet either. Are you sure that was the title? What context did you see it in?
>>
>>7634512
>>>/tv/
>>
>>7634627
Look, I said that I know this isn't /lit/'s usual domain, but I don't think that this is the sort of thing /tv/ would talk about. They're more about consuming big name TV shows/films than making cheap indie ones. That said, do you think this sort of thread would do anything there? If not, where else should I post?
>>
>>7634595

Well thats your first problem, make friends, having friends is useful outside of movie making too, it'l also help you be generally more social and less of an awkward person. Who cares if you're not super social, just do it, this is the best time to meet new people, keep your conversation filter loose, and you will quickly find people with similar interests. If you don't do this now you will have an even harder time meeting people later in your life and you will suffer.

Regarding your film idea: I think it sounds pretty good. Its a case where execution will be key, and story/idea will come second. Execution tends to generally be the most important part.

I have a little experience in acting, so heres my advice for what its worth:
Find people who aren't awkward. You don't need people with acting experience to make a good movie, you never do, you just need people who feel comfortable doing it and aren't awkward about it like 80% of the fucking general population. That is really the only hard part. Especially for a movie like yours you're gonna need people who aren't awkward and will simply do what you tell them to.

Good luck, would be interested to see this work.
>>
>>7634981
Ok, well, I was thinking of making this film for an art project due in February, so I only have about 3 weeks. I know the friends thing is an issue, but I don't think it's something I can fix in that time with consistent/good results, all while trying to make this film happen. Thanks though anon. I'm quite talkative, really, I just haven't found the right crowd.

Could I e-mail you, anon? aelcawinter at gmail dot com

I agree on execution, that's what I'm mostly worried about. Also, due to the nature of the project, I can't really direct the gibberish speak and I would probably want the performances to be improvised, so I won't really be able to plan what I want until I can find actors.

Now, regarding finding un-awkward people: I realized this too, especially given how embarrassing it would be for most people to try improvising gibberish. Acting in general seems best done by un-awkward people. Do you know how to find/spot these people?
>>
>>7634937
>If not, where else should I post?

>>>/tv/
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.