[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12

File: image.jpg (47KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 400x400px
>Dostoevsky, Fyodor. Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and vulgar. A prophet, a claptrap journalist and a slapdash comedian. Some of his scenes are extraordinarily amusing. Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously.
>>
Can't believe John Green said that! I HATE him!
>>
Nabokov said this kind of shit about everybody, dude was so full of himself he couldn't give anyone else credit. Nobody takes his criticism too seriously
>>
>>7630825
>implying nabokov took it seriously

idiot detected
>>
>>7630825
>everybody
Demonstrably false. You can stop embarrassing yourself now.
>>
File: 1443148855867.jpg (230KB, 1216x1878px) Image search: [Google]
1443148855867.jpg
230KB, 1216x1878px
He did say this.
>>
>>7631020
I know nothing about twilight, but there is nothing wrong with what he is saying.
>>
>implying he'd be wrong

Dostoy is fairly secondrate
>>
>>7631020

Everything would be better if people didn't use and support Twitter. All of this could have been said on a website and it would look better and read easier.
>>
>>7631393
I also know nothing about twilight, and there is definitely something wrong with what he's saying.

Read more, learn more about art and talent, faggot.
>>
>>7631393
>tens of millions of people have also proven that you don't HAVE to
is obviously wrong. People liking stories is in no way proof that those stories are not misogynistic.
>>
>>7631440
What is wrong with it then?
Enlighten me.
>>
>>7631020
Male authors of romances are attacked. Nicholas Sparks is pretty intensely disliked.

I've never read them so I don't feel strongly about it, but I think most people criticizing them are criticizing them because of their quality, not because of the fact they're romances.
>>
>>7631393
The Twilight fans should be savagely ridiculed until they're forced to actually think. But the last person who should be blamed is Stephanie Meyer. Her success is a symptom of a much larger problem. If anything, thank her.
>>
>>7631020
>we're ridiculing the enthusiasm people have for unironic love stories. Have we nothing better to satirize?
He's trying so hard to be DFW.
>>
File: 1432692496515.png (1MB, 712x955px) Image search: [Google]
1432692496515.png
1MB, 712x955px
>>7631020
>I've been reading Infinite Jest all day, which has been totally enjoyable and I'm thinking about how easy it becomes to dehumanize the creator or fans of something extremely popular. I've done this, too. I made fun of Infinite Jest without even having read it. I'm sorry for that, and embarrased.
>When we make fun of Infinite Jest, we're ridiculing the enthusiasm people have for new sincerety. Have we nothing better to satirize? Yes, you can read no discernible talent into the writing, but tens of millions of people have also proven you don't HAVE to. Do we really believe that tens of millions of people who found themselves comforted and inspired by these stories are merely wrong? Isn't our disdain FAR more insincere than anything in the stories?
>Art that is entertaining and useful to people is a good thing to have in this world. And I'm grateful for it and celebrate it. So big ups to the Infinite Jest fandom, and to David Foster Wallace, who has been relentlessly attacked professionally and personally over Infinite Jest in ways that authors of bloated period pieces never are. I'm gonna go back to reading books now.
>~Harold Bloom
>>
>>7631701

He looks like he's melting.
>>
>>7631742
>He looks like he's melting
my heart senpai
>>
>>7631501
Stephanie Meyer is an Ubermensch. She took advantage of a situation to better herself.
>>
This is my favorite meme. Glad to see it recirculating.
>>
>>7632016
Pretty much. I went through the Twilight Saga once and the most interesting part was watching Meyer try to grow as an author. Like Shakespeare quotes being sprinkled throughout New Moon because that's what literary people do.
>>
>>7631701
Loving this meme. Good job
>>
>>7631020
A large part of his persona is acting in order to please his audience. He knows what kind of people read him, and acts accordingly.
>>
>>7632081
Or maybe he justs feels that way.
>>
>>7632085

No, John Green in a man who never feels for himself. It's obvious watching his videos, watching him perform his lectures with that monotone voice which is supposed to be quirky, I think, but just sounds lifeless. You can read it in his dead eyes in every picture taken of him. And of course you can read it in his books, in which the protagonists don't feel like the creations of a unique individual at all but are perfectly designed to appeal to the self proclaimed precocious, sensitive teenagers/teenagers-at-heart which comprise most of his fanbase. John Green is a man who lets marketability infuse every one of his actions, and I find it hard to believe he is even capable of a single inward thought.
>>
>>7632102
Well, he sounds like a smart son of a bitch if you describe him that way. Didn't seemed like that kind of guy based on his physicial appearance, but I trust in what you say.
>>
>>7631701
too good
>>
File: Marx.jpg (7KB, 194x260px) Image search: [Google]
Marx.jpg
7KB, 194x260px
>>7631701
>I've been reading Der Einzige und sein Eigenthum all day, which has been totally enjoyable and I'm thinking about how easy it becomes to dehumanize the creator or fans of something popular in the past. I've done this, too. I made fun of Der Einzige und sein Eigenthum without even having read it. I'm sorry for that, and embarrased.
>When we make fun of Der Einzige und sein Eigenthum, we're ridiculing the enthusiasm people have for individualism. Have we nothing better to satirize? Yes, you can read Hegelian changelings into the writing, but a remarkably small number of people have also proven you don't HAVE to. Do we really believe that a remarkably small number of people who found themselves comforted and inspired by this philosophy are merely wrong? Isn't our disdain FAR more spooky than anything in this philosophy?
>Philosophy that is entertaining and useful to people is a good thing to have in this world. And I'm grateful for it and celebrate it. So big ups to Der Einzige und sein Eigenthum fandom, and to Max Stirner, who has been relentlessly attacked professionally and personally over Der Einzige und sein Eigenthum in ways that philosophers of bloated economic pieces never are. I'm gonna go back to reading books now.
>~Karl Marx
>>
>>7632113

>smart

Possibly but he sold out and acted like a retard for the wrong kind of fanbase. Now he has to live with it and if he hasn't regretted it already, which I think he sorta has, he will eventually.

It'll be very hard for him to come back from this if he ever wants to be taken seriously as a writer by serious people.
>>
>>7632266
>It'll be very hard for him to come back from this if he ever wants to be taken seriously as a writer by serious people.

why would this ever happen

he's made enough money that he never needs to work/write anything again, he can just coast life out OR continue churning out YA best-sellers until he gets bored and maybe 20 years later jump into some 'mature' sort of best seller. Do you really think famous plebs go through some deathbed conversion where they suddenly wish they were Joyce? They (and Green) probably find literary works pretentious or boring and feel some fulfillment in their easy writing; he's never going to feel any sort of shame or regret you jealous faggot, he'll just grow more and more self-assured as he watches his empire grow
>>
>>7631404
I agree.

At the very least, Twitter should only be used for quick thoughts.
>>
>>7631393
I agree.

But then again I love melodrama
>>
>>7630811
>clumsy and vulgar
>claptrap journalist
>reactionary journalism

oy vey, mrs. green
>>
>>7631701
>Bloom will die in my lifetime
How do I deal with this feeling?
>>
File: nabbed.jpg (62KB, 411x395px) Image search: [Google]
nabbed.jpg
62KB, 411x395px
>>7630811
>>
John Green is an evil genius trying to attract teen girls and its working
>>
>>7631393
Well, except...

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2009/07/the_twilight_movie_review_your.html
>>
>>7631701
He's dying. God damn....This makes me strangely upset.

Look how thin he is. You can see the outline of his skull almost. His skin is stretched so tightly against his withering bones. God this is depressing.

He's got some neck fat, but look at him. Where's the fatty talent-discerner I know and love? He must know he's dying. How do you guys think he's handling this.
>>
>>7630811
This was actually written by Nabokov, who loved Tolstoy Something interesting about Tolstoy is he couldn't stand Shakespeare, Nabokov loved shakespeare. Opinions vary, but it is obvious he is wrong.
>>
>>7631568
That's a main part of his essence, idolizing Wallace. Look at this:
http://infinitesummer.org/archives/1486
>>
>>7632746
>Adolescents love to talk about masks and fronts, "that's not the real you."
ah, that explains this board's obsession with sincerity. i guess wallace is just a confused adolescent at heart.
>>
>>7632698
I was under the impression a lot of his fanbase revolted against him when there was some kind of pedo allegation?
>>
>>7631020
What a shitstain of a human being. First movie made even less sense than the book, which is a terrible way to make a movie for an audience who is mixed with both non readers and readers.

Absolute trash. Hope he gets assaulted and ends up in hospital.
>>
>>7633145
>a lot
I wouldn't say so. I don't see any statistical indication that is so, from looking at his youtube channel views, but that was just some kerfuffle on tumblr where some faggot was saying some bullshit about how because he wrote stories for young audiences (not just weak-willed, idealistic women, but this was their implication) and then interacted with them directly on tumblr, in an odd, quirky, weird, uncharacteristic-of-a-middle-aged-man fashion, he somehow 1. wished to be of a younger age, so 2. he could get that prime teen audience pussy.
>>
>>7633155
I thought someone on here came up with that.
>>
>>7633155
Well The Fault of the stars is ripped from a 16 year old girl's diary John plagiarised while he was taking care of her before she died.
>>
>>7631393
misogynistic gender dynamics is a little sliver of insanity showcasing his personality whole

deliberate of course
>>
>>7633145
People accused him of that on tumblr but there's no reason to believe he is

He seems pretty legitimately happily married
>>
>>7632488
I don't know if he's too well read, but he apparently loves IJ
>>
File: 1453831697329.jpg (2MB, 2500x3533px) Image search: [Google]
1453831697329.jpg
2MB, 2500x3533px
>>7631020
>criticizing people for enjoying absolute shit is...
>MISOGYNISTIC
Wait, what?
>>
>>7631020
What a fucking wanker.
>>
>>7633393
Post post irony
>>
>>7631020
Faggot, people don't hate Twilight because it's a love story but because it's shit love story
>>
>>7630825
He wrote an entire book about Gogol, praising him as the finest russian author...
>>
>>7632783
His lips still look like some fleshy deep sea shrimp, there is hope, anon!
>>
File: 1433175494346.png (1003KB, 1106x1270px) Image search: [Google]
1433175494346.png
1003KB, 1106x1270px
Have we nothing better to jest about?
>>
>>7634004
Leave this board
>>
File: 1431807773107.png (215KB, 474x350px) Image search: [Google]
1431807773107.png
215KB, 474x350px
>>7634075
Make me.
>>
>>7631020
>Yes, you can read misogynistic gender dynamics into the stories, but tens of millions of people have also proven that you don't HAVE to

This seems like a very dangerous argument for a tumblr SJW-type person to make?

>you can read racism into Heart of Darkness, but you don't HAVE to
>you can read misogyny and patriarchy into Hemingway, but you don't HAVE to
>you can find <work of classic literature> "problematic", but you don't HAVE to
etc.
>>
>>7631393
>I have to choose between shitting on sjws and shitting on shit authors
Help!
>>
>>7630811
The Brothers Karamozov gives a more accurate and useful description of youth and growing up than any of Green's novels. Of course he has to bash it, otherwise a book that's a century younger than his would be selling more.
>>
>>7634198
lurk moar
>>
>>7630811
Are you telling me John Green, a 50th rate YA author, had the gall to criticize Dostoevsky like this? Laughable.
>>
File: bait.png (59KB, 622x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
59KB, 622x626px
>>7634257
>>
File: asdqweqweqweqwe.png (234KB, 446x326px) Image search: [Google]
asdqweqweqweqwe.png
234KB, 446x326px
>>7631701
what in the fuck is this does his chin have balls
>>
>>7634303
Have you never seen an old person before?

t. maf
>>
>>7631393
>I know nothing about twilight
You might want to before claiming this:
>there is nothing wrong with what he is saying.
>>
>>7631020
He's like the platonic ideal of a cuck.
>>
>>7632213
>but a remarkably small number of people have also proven you don't HAVE to
kek
>>
>>7634337
actually what he's saying could be considered pretty misogynistic. ask me why, its ok.
>>
>>7634356
I'll ask you why, but I also want to know why you abstain from using apostrophes. Unless you really think "its" is correct—in that case, I withdraw my inquiry.
>>
File: ttttttttttt.png (1MB, 710x953px) Image search: [Google]
ttttttttttt.png
1MB, 710x953px
>>7631701
>>
>>7634402
>I'll ask you why, but I also want to know why you abstain from using apostrophes.
lazy and anonymous

i't's basically what >>7634088 said. i't's just

>"you could read this and find X awful and shitty, but you d'o'n't HAVE to."
yeah but i did
>>
>>7634088

Yeah but Joseph Conrad and Hemmingway are white males. Stephanie Meyer is a female and is impervious to that criticism because she is just expressing herself as a woman or something.
>>
>>7634824

>implying women are impervious to criticisms of misogyny

do you even into feminist theory
>>
>>7634938
>>implying women are impervious to criticisms of misogyny

They are for men like John Green.
>>
>>7634948
lol
It's like they're building some kind of privilege social hierarchy.
We might as well start putting on weight and start faking mental disorders because that is what will get you ahead in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNdZcegK1lQ
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.