[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you're a begginer writer >tfw you realize you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

File: 1249249_large.jpg (356KB, 782x900px) Image search: [Google]
1249249_large.jpg
356KB, 782x900px
>tfw you're a begginer writer
>tfw you realize you could make a webpage for free and upload writings there
>tfw you could have people from all over the world reading your shit (for free though)
>tfw all that reach and free publicity
>tfw you realize you live in a golden age for writers

no more gatekeeper BS.

why aren't you making your own personal website?
>>
>>7630806
because it would be shit like yours
>>
>>7630839
>what is practice?

you know SAO was from a website, right?
>>
because i don't want to flood the Internet with more mediocre writing
>>
>>7630806
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE
>>
>>7630846
>image
>Sao
Holy shit lad.
>>
>>7630806
I wish it were that easy, m'lady.
>>
>>7630851
name a good writer that didn't started writing garbage
>>
>>7630846
No one wants to read your amateur drivel

Come back in five years after writing every day
>>
>>7630854
>le SAO is bad
and yet it was a big success.

>but I'm above garbage like twilight even though I'm a nobody
>>
>>7630862
Maybe it was garbage, but they didn't leave it out for people to see.
>>
>>7630864
>fanfics have no market
>people don't enjoy to read amateur writings
lol

>>7630856
wordpress is free and easy to use.
>>
>>7630806
If your books don't get published it's probably because you're trash, maybe get a fucking hint and do something else.

It's quality control, no one would spend their time reading an entire book from a random website when it's most likely "begginer writer" garbage. If it's a physical book, at least people know it went through a profession editor.

>but it's free though lmao
>>
>>7630872
No one worthwhile does
>>
deviantART and tumblr have story posting abilities. I'm SJW fag but they're useful outlets I post to. If you guys have suggestions for less cancerous outlets that'd be much appreciated.
>>
>>7630870
>>7630873
yeah, it's not like you need practice to improve.

>but my first novel has to be a masterpiece
lmao

do you think god tier artists don't have some kind of shitty drawings uploaded to the internet in some old account?

Hell, there was some harry potter fanfic that was being edited and sold in chile as the original.
>>
>>7630852
This nigga hilarious

>>7630872
Making a site is easy, but getting people to actually pay attention to it is hard. I completely support the idea, but having an audience is easier said than done.

>>7630873
This is usually true but not iron clad. There's a lot of trash that get's published too.
>>
>>7630888
>There's a lot of trash that get's published too.
and history is rife with good literature that doesn't
>>
>>7630888
bro, getting noticed is not unique to writers, begginers musicians, indie gamers, indie filmakers, pretty much anybody starting have trouble getting people to notice them.

You need to make a lot of bang and a lot of shit before people will notice you.

>but don't want people to think I suck
drop the ego /lit/ and start writing.

you're literally making excuses.

if you can't even get people to read your shit by free over the internet, then how you expect to impress an editor?
>>
>>7630806
The golden age of filth
>>
>>7630904
>not enjoying to read fanfics about your fetishes
>tfw no fanfic about conjoined lolis having an adventure
fuck
>>
>>7630904
Hipster.
>>
>>7630870

Mostly this. There's a reason a lot of writers have denounced or tried to bury their earliest works.

Sometimes I look at shit I wrote when I was a teenager and just go "Jesus christ what the hell is this shit."

>>7630872

If you're going to seriously try and gain a fanbase that way, at least post it on fanfiction.net or AO3 instead of your fucking website. If you must, then put a link to your website on ff.net/ao3 profile page.

If you put fucking fanfiction on your website and want to get published a few years down the road, an agent/publisher/editor is going to look at your website, see all that fanfiction, laugh and then move on.

Nothing wrong with writing fanfiction and a lot of solid writers have gotten their start with it, but there's a reason it's generally looked down upon.
>>
>>7630910
it's there a diference between making stories about other people works (fanfiction) and original stories?

not interested in fanfiction, that's why I suggested to make my own website.
>>
>>7630897
Well, here's the my take on it. When you talk about being noticed, we're living in a time where in general, it's the dumbest and loudest things that get noticed. Things that are easily digestible––songs, youtube videos, comics, games––these have a better chance of being noticed because they don't take a lot of time or energy to absorb. Books on the other hand take a concentrated investment over a longer period of time. Most people are working 40+ hours a week and are short on time. Can you find a niche audience? Sure. But what a writer really needs nowadays is widespread public opinion to really make any sort of living or gain any kind of independence through their art. The internet is full of people at different skill levels trying to shunt their writing onto the masses, and you need to be a special kind of snake oil salesman to get you work out there and in front of the others.
>>
File: carl-sagan.jpg (20KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
carl-sagan.jpg
20KB, 300x250px
>>7630806
>tfw carl sagan
>tfw carl sagan cartoon on /lit/
>tfw op is a faggot

The golden age of idiots being able to blow their crap in everyone's faces.

Die in a fire.
>>
>>7630928
Billions and billions of shitposts
>>
>>7630926
It's about gaining a reputation, It's a bussiness after all, conecting with people, working hard.

Generally I want to try and be like ZUN, making weeb garbage, indeed, but he has a fanbase that love his works and can sustain him, plus there is also the fact there is derivative shit of high quality.

He's being approached by the industry to make a professional anime about his work, but he doesn't even give a fuck because he already have passionate people working on fan animes.

That's my goal, maybe starting small and working hard and trying to get people to make derivative shit of my work.

Isn't that something beautifull?
Isn't that how ancient art flourished and how genius writers made an impact in the art history?

>>7630928
>he can't even make a literary output in some shitty website
>but I'm better than XYZ even while I haven't done anything
>>
>>7630950
Not him but you seem to really be justifying all of this to yourself in a suspiciously intense manner.
>>
>>7630976
I already explained I'm an amateur, so I'm used to people telling me I suck, there's no pretense.

but I've seen how I've improved over time.

I find motivating to see old writings and feeling that cringe you know?
It make you realize how much you have improved.

like seeing your pictures of school where you were a dumb ass niglet.
>>
>>7630950
It's not a business though, it's an art. Now you're getting into r/selfpublish type hucksterism. You know what sells the best when self publishing? Genre writing. I like genre writing, but its reputation as being bottom of the barrel isn't unearned when you have all these people churning out books in three months and self publishing them with wicked sweet dragons on the cover. I can't take any one side on the issue of self pub vs. traditional, because on the one hand I'm not a fan of gatekeepers, but when things are flooded to a market without a gatekeeper you get this surplus of crap and it becomes hard to weed out the good from the bad.
>>
>>7630990
pretty much anyone have internet now bro.
there's already around 2-3 billion people (I think so) with internet now.

English is not my first language but spanish have around a market of 500 million.

If you can't make it over the internet, what makes you believe you're good enough to suceed with traditional?
>>
>>7630926

Honestly these days it seems like there are really only four ways to have a lot of success and support yourself entirely through novel writing.

1: Make something that is sorta original, easily digested, and can work well as a tv or movie adaptation. Harry Potter, ASoIaF, Hunger Games, 50 Shades of Grey, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Stephen King's shit. Most of the authors behind those made some money, but having their shit adapted for the screen made them multi-millionaires and drove up their book sales dramatically.

2: Becoming an Amazon self-publish success story. This is probably the quickest route, but also the hardest. There is a ton of competition and you're likely going to have to get friends and family to leave your shit favorable reviews to get started. You pretty much only need to write genre stuff too cause nothing else will really sell self-publishing.

3: Contract authoring. IE writing novels for established franchises that don't have their own authors behind them. Star Wars and some of the more popular video games like Warcraft are what come to mind. If you can get your foot in the door here you are set because a lot of those IPs use the same authors and they already have an established fanbase who will likely read your independent shit. The main barrier here is needing the connections for them to take you on the first place and having a high knowledge of the lore behind those franchises.

4: Romance/mystery. These are pretty much the top two selling genres and a lot of the richest authors out there have made their living in this.

The days of literary fiction are pretty much over desu. It's doubtful you'll be able to make a full-time living writing it.
>>
>>7631035
I don't get what's wrong with wanting to write for entertainment?

I see a lot of people dismissal of harry potter, ignoring the fact it impacted many people infancy.

What's wrong with that?

What's wrong with making stuff people will enjoy?
>>
>>7630806
If you want people to actually look at your work, you should join a social network like tumblr, twitter, livejournal, or hell even wordpress, I mean the site hosting service, not the software.
Tag all your shit.
It's how I got people to read my shitty poetry.
>yfw the plebs actually liked it.
>>
>>7631042

Nobody but the autistic contrarians of /lit/ and maybe some other places dismisses Harry Potter. Stop taking what those retards who will never get published and will probably die alone say as fact.

There is nothing wrong with writing for entertainment. Every writer essentially makes their living by making stuff people will enjoy.
>>
>>7631073
There's nothing wrong with writing for entertainment but refusing to read anything but material that was written for entertainment can kind of lead to stagnation. People don't recognize how good it feels to push themselves because they haven't done it yet.
>>
>>7631080
I don't see how YOU as a writer can't make entertainment that is smart and maybe has some nerdy bits of shopenhauer or shakespeare here and there.

Isn't shakespeare essentially a soap opera writer?
>>
>>7631084
You've convinced me to kill myself. Thank you
>>
>>7631094
don't anon.

what's stopping you from writting a deep fantasy book for children that will change the fantasy genre for ever?

my goal is to write something like evangaylion.
>>
>>7631084
I was scratching my balls while reading this when I inadvertently squeezed one in rage.
>>
>>7631144
>theather wasn't the medieval version of mexican soap operas
ok anon.
>>
i do not understand why you came here for validation on this idea. go do it and post the results in a couple months but i doubt /lit/ will care.
>>
>>7630806
>be a beginning writer with no prior publications
>get accepted into a lit mag's annual thematic issue
>get published and have ins at tons of other places now
but yeah you're right publishing all your shit online is totally better than being a real writer
>>
>>7631416
You have to diversify, m'lady.
>>
>>7630806
>begginer writer
>>
>>7630806

I am, Anon.
>>
>>7630806
you know that if you self-publish on the web then a lot of magazines/journals will refuse to publish you, right?
>>
>>7631042

There's nothing wrong with writing for entertainment. All the greats did. I take that back. All the great pre-pomo did. Shakespeare is the ultimate example of this.

The problem comes when writing for entertainment is the only thing. Like main character (MC) did this and then MC did that and then MC's love interest fucked him because MC did that and then, whoa(!), MC did what? And then villain did WHAT???!!! Oh shit, son!!!

The thing is, you can do all that, but if you haven't explained plausibly and reasonably and eloquently the who, what, where, when, why, and how the MC did those things, it becomes shit.
>>
>>7630806
get out of here david fishchild
>>
>>7631502

Get real. They wouldn't refuse shit if someone great did it.

If someone self published and had 100,000 sales, any literary agency/magazine/journal in the world would be banging down their door asking to publish their next shit. And they'd be fucking fools not to.

The real catch is that all the greats are either way too scared to self publish or their ego is so fucking big they refuse to self publish.
>>
>>7631555

True, but I'm not talking about some great fucking writer, I'm talking about someone who's starting out and wants to get noticed like OP is talking about. Learn to read.

Putting your shit on the web for free is a good way to ensure that no one will ever, ever read it. If you're trying to get short stories published and you're sending them out and a literary magazine actually decides that they want to publish your work, they check and see if it's already on the web. And let me tell you, nobody is gonna be impressed by your shitty wordpress or tumblr. It counts as a previous publication and they'll normally pass.

Tl;DR sharing your writing on the web is useless unless you get off to the idea that someone might accidentally find it one day
>>
>>7631571

>True, but I'm not talking about some great fucking writer, I'm talking about someone who's starting out and wants to get noticed like OP is talking about. Learn to read.

Oh. Dear me. Please forgive me, sir. I'm sorry I didn't realize I was in the presence of such a well read and learned individual based upon:

>>7631502

>you know that if you self-publish on the web then a lot of magazines/journals will refuse to publish you, right?

Anyway:

>If you're trying to get short stories published and you're sending them out and a literary magazine actually decides that they want to publish your work, they check and see if it's already on the web. And let me tell you, nobody is gonna be impressed by your shitty wordpress or tumblr. It counts as a previous publication and they'll normally pass.

Yeah. That's true. But ask any literary journal or agent you send your shit to, and if you have zero internet presence at all, they ain't gonna publish your shit either. I'm hoping anyone with half a brain wouldn't publish shit on their wordpress and tumblr before sending in the shit they want to be professionally published. That's just stupid.

But if someone builds up an online following and sends in something unpublished, the literary agency/journal goes online and see they built up their own following and have the stats to back it up, you can bet your sweet faggot ass that they're gonna be more interested in that writer's work. And, again, if that didn't make them more interested, than said literary agency/journal is fucking retarded and doesn't deserve to be in business just as much as the writer who sends in shit they've already published on their shitty wordpress or tumblr in to be professionally published.

It's like you have to try to be as stupid as you are.
>>
>>7631571
>If you're trying to get short stories published and you're sending them out and a literary magazine actually decides that they want to publish your work, they check and see if it's already on the web. And let me tell you, nobody is gonna be impressed by your shitty wordpress or tumblr. It counts as a previous publication and they'll normally pass.

That's not true. It's true if you're trying to get a story published and it's already been published online, but having a backlog of different stories isn't going to hurt you.

Also, The Martian was self-published and then picked up for traditional publishing, and probably more, though not ones with so much exposure. Regardless of your opinion of those books, what you're saying isn't entirely true. There's no dogma in the way art is consumed anymore.
>>
>>7630806
who would read it?
how would you market it?

also, you get warned for telling retarded people to gtfo now?
>>
>>7631623
>The Martian was self-published and then picked up for traditional publishing
because it was a huge success, which is not something you can count on, and especially not if you write literary fiction.
>>
>>7630851
>implying it's not already flooded
>>
>>7630839
>>7630851
>>7630856
>>7630864
>>7630870
>>7630904
>>7630910
>>7630926
>>7630928
>>7631416

This is what people who will never finish anything in their lives say. Just people afraid of failure. Sad, really.

>>7630873
>>7630874
>>7630990
>>7631502
>>7631571

And this is what the gatekeepers trying to save their jobs say. They might even be at their desks right now.

"We need to filter the works!" Get the fuck outta here. You don't need to filter shit. The market does it for you. Name the last great no-name writer (since the internet was widely adopted) to come from and be completely developed through the "literary" machine.

PRO-TIP: You can't name shit.

Burn down the gates.
>>
>>7631709
Hello, friend. Please support your opinions by telling me a little bit about yourself, so I can get a better idea of how to respond to them. How old are you? What is your favorite book? Have you written anything? What is it about?

Thank you. Be well, friend.
>>
>>7631787

Are you being serious? Like, you're interested in an actual discussion?

I'm in my early 30's. I can't give you a favorite book. I'm currently reading through George Saunders, Tenth of December. I write all the time. Right now I'm writing short stories, but my latest full length (what I have planned as my debut), is sitting on the shelf before I revisit it later this year.
>>
>>7631709
>>7631847
Please return to reddit.
>>
>>7631862

Nah. I think I'll stick around here for a little while.
>>
>>7631847
I just didn't want to call you a faggot without knowing anything about you.

I'm just kidding, I'm not calling you a faggot. And it's okay if you are a faggot, like a literal faggot that likes cocks. That's fine. Anyway, the thing is, while in principle I'm against gatekeepers too, if you leave things up to popular opinion it's all going to go up in flames. Popular opinion, the market––they're embracing YA fiction and erotica. The status quo is looming unstoppable cancer and anything with any nuance will be shoved off to the side to fester.
>>
wow this might be the worst thread I've seen on /lit/. I'd like encourage all the manchildren like
>>7631073
>>7631042
>>7631709
to never post on this forum again.
>>
>>7631709
Actually I just clicked on the Carl Sagan picture, i'm from /g/ and own two tech companies.

You guys just seem more redicklous than a software developer who thinks he's going to be the next major IPO with his taco truck locator app.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.