[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greek Mythology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (87KB, 519x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 519x1024px
Is there any juicy writing or collection of writings that tells cool stories (or just simply teaches) about cool Greek gods? Also I very much prefer something that would talk a lot about things like Titans and the earlier gods (Gaia, Nyx, Thalassa, etc.) that people don't talk about. Thanks
>>
File: images.jpg (83KB, 499x700px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
83KB, 499x700px
Here you go.
>>
File: zeustyphoeus.jpg (22KB, 439x300px) Image search: [Google]
zeustyphoeus.jpg
22KB, 439x300px
Hesiods Cosmos by Jenny Strauss Clay is a really great analysis of the early genesis of the Gods from the Titans to the first Olympians. It paints the picture of the Titans conspiring with their mother to punish their abusive father. It goes into the very underrated myth of Zeus facing down Typhon. We see how Gaea becomes a force of perpetual rebellion, always opposing the dominant authority in the cosmos regardless of who it is
>>
>>7625650
Are you even serious right now?
>>
>>7625657
You're really missing out if you never read it.
>>
>>7625660
What am I missing out on?
>>
>>7625665
A great book.
>>
>>7625653
Sounds perfect thanks
>>7625650
This looks like it's PG and because of that probably lacking
>>
>>7625666
What's so great about it, devilsh beast?

It's a genuine question though for real. What's it express about mythology?
>>
>>7625676
Yeah, Hesiod is the one who really wrote extensively about the cosmos changing hands from the rule of the Titans to the rule of the Olympians, and his work is much harder to crack into than Homers. Jenny Strauss Clay does an amazing job putting it all in context and defining it, at least in my opinion. She really details how Zeus integrates the various aspects of the ancient Titan Gods into his Olympian Order as he gains control of the Cosmos, either through force or willing unification. It especially does a great job explaining how Zeus elevates Hecate to a role of special importance in the end, coming to represent the totality of the archaic Titan order in his new Cosmos
>>
>>7625621
Start with Edith Hamilton.
>>
The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony by Roberto Calasso.

This is literally exactly what you are looking for.
>>
Read Appollodurus' Library of Mythology (it's basically an ancient collection of the Greek myths)

The read Hesiod's Theogony (an ancient poem describing the creation of the universe and the Gods)

Then the Iliad & Odyssey

Then the Aeneid

Then Ovid's Metamorphoses and Heroides
>>
>>7625684
I had this as a kid and it was the shit, best kid book ever, also good for adults too I suppose.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.