[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yes yes, horror is usually garbage, but I like reading it. Can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: 91eqCq1hU2L._SL1500_[1].jpg (226KB, 980x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91eqCq1hU2L._SL1500_[1].jpg
226KB, 980x1500px
Yes yes, horror is usually garbage, but I like reading it.

Can you recommend some good horror books? Preferably not something that is under "must read" or classics or really well known. Some things you picked up and found great. I also prefer horror short stories since they're without fillers, usually.

Again, I did read stuff from Clive Barker, Thomas Ligotti, House of Leaves, Lovecraft, Poe, etc., even Stephen King short stories collection. But I'm looking for something better, maybe even actually scary.
>>
File: 357727.jpg (88KB, 316x475px) Image search: [Google]
357727.jpg
88KB, 316x475px
>>
>>7624760
Yep, just what I'm looking for, thanks!

Anyone else?
>>
>>7624760
Also anything else good by him?
>>
Kathe Koja - The Cipher
>>
>>7624755
>horror is usually garbage
>>
>>7624779
Good, seems interesting. Anything else?
>>
>>7624814
I don't consider it that. But a lot of people and especially some people here consider it that way. I personally can't get enough of it in any medium.
>>
>>7624815
Anne Rivers Siddons - The House Next Door
>>
>>7624814
Nice meme
I appreciate your contribution
>>
I've yet to find anyone who scares me more than Ligotti, really. Not only that, but who writes better. I love that his stories read like fragments of someone's nightmares, and that he is very little concerned with plot or character development. To him plot and characters are just an excuse to write about, and I quote him here, the universe as some sort of enchanting nightmare.

I've read a lot of modern weird fiction, from the commercial types of Laird Barron to the more cerebral types like Michael Cisco, and some of it is fantastic and I love it. But it doesn't top Ligotti as far as writing a pure expression of terror goes.
>>
File: 7171060392_5b9018a92a.jpg (164KB, 405x500px) Image search: [Google]
7171060392_5b9018a92a.jpg
164KB, 405x500px
>>7624755
Off the top of my head I can recommend Hell House by Richard Matheson and Ghost Story by Peter Straub. I guess you read the Books of Blood by Clive Barker already, if not do it.
Also pic related.
>>
my diary t b h
>>
Dracula of course
>>
>>7625111
What Ligotti do I read?
>>
>>7625111
Jesus I forgot I was going to read Ligotti thanks
>>
>>7624755
Wanted to make a thread for this but thought it might be better here.

Where do you start with Horror? Is the wiki good enough? I dont know any names besides King, Poe, and Lovecraft
>>
>>7624755
Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum is pretty close-to-home nearly-horror. Revolves around kids and based on a true story. So it says ;-)
>>
>>7626306

Teatro Grottesco. Or the book in OP's pic, which is his first two collections in a single volume.
>>
>>7624755
That has to be one of the best book covers. Cool as lazy sunday fuck.
>>
>>7625372
Pic related is amazing, >1000 pages of great "weird" novellas and short stories
Plowed through it in a week, lots of starting points, like Ben Okri, Fritz Leiber, Jean Ray, Clark Ashton Smith, Saki
>>
>>7626925
(and with "pic related" I mean The Weird)
>>
Goosebumps
>>
>>7626891
The one in OP is very Lovecraftian and I found it a bit tedious towards the end, it was too descriptively and thematically repetitive. I'd recommend Teatro and My Work Is Not Yet Done over the collection, he really gets into his own stride with it.
>>
>>7624755

the wasp factory, banks
>>
>>7625111
>horror=terror
Why do people do this?
>>
OP back, good recommendations. Will order some when I get the chance, thanks! Keep them coming.
>>
>>7627673
>order
Just download them or borrow them from the library.
>>
Jesse bullington novels
>>
I'm interested in getting into Ligotti. Which of his work should I start with?
>>
>>7627794
Honestly this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZpEFJhO6k
>>
>>7627794
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fteka44kbY
>>
>>7627794
This >>7627816 and the first story from Grimscribe.
>>
I liked John Dies At The End. While most of it was just unsettling, a few chapters were outright terrifying.
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 420x648px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 420x648px
Not quite horror
>>
>>7629300
Not really horror at all.
>>
Who Goes There, the story that inspired the movie The Thing
>>
>>
I honestly believe The Nine Billion Names of God (Arthur C. Clarke) is the best horror story ever written. I have a rather loose definition of horror, but damn if I don't get goosebumps every time I read that story.

http://downlode.org/Etext/nine_billion_names_of_god.html
>>
>>7625372
i can rec this too, thoroughly enjoyed it
>>
>>7629989
This
>>
>>7627794
>>7624755
I've been reading his stories from Teatro Grottesco for a while and I don't get it.

Is everything he writes just a metaphor for how people suck and do boring shit all day? It's kinda boring that his every story is nihilistic nonsense.
>>
I am currently reading The Tenant by Roland Topor and I am enjoying it. Ligotti wrote the introduction to the book too.
>>
>>7631476
Teatro Grottesco is not one of his better collections IMO; it's fairly uneven and repetitive. Yes, almost all of his stories are centered around existential horror, and tedium is definitely one of his favorite subjects. If you didn't like every story in Teatro but found some of the images and ideas interesting, check out Songs of a Dead Dreamer, which is much easier to find nowadays thanks to the Penguin publication, or The Conspiracy against the Human Race, which is a nonfiction work that elucidates his thematic purposes as writer very clearly.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.