[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, I don't know if this has been covered a million

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: eagles in the machine.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
eagles in the machine.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Hey /lit/, I don't know if this has been covered a million times here or not but why don't the eagles just airdrop the ring into Mount Doom from the very beginning? Thousands of innocents saved, endless hardship on the part of the Fellowship and others avoided.

Instead they pop in when Gandalf needs to get bailed out, then again when Frodo's finally killed the ring and HE needs to get bailed out.
>>
>>7621342
If I recall the eagles weren't that invested in the war and only liked Gandalf enough to help him out a bit but not to fly into a volcano guarded by the most powerful being in the universe carrying the most powerful object in the universe. makes sense to me.
>>
eagles need to drink a lot and there's not a lot of water in mordor so they can't do it
>>
>>7621436
Yea that makes sense when you put it that way
>>
>>7621342

You make a reasonable case, but I think it would have been more expeditious to have an eagle give Gandolf and Frodo a lift to the entrance to Mt. Doom, then have Frodo toss the ring into the fire from whence it came.
The eagles would have waited outside, as Frodo would only needed 30-45 seconds to get 'er done.

Sauron would not have been able to do diddley about it, because it would have happened too fast for him to react. He would have been like, "What the hell is that?! Wut the fu- AAAAAAAAAAAHH !!!!!!!!!

However, if this had been the case, it would never have been the epic tale that it is. The take-away for me here is, some times one must walk to Mordor, taking the worst possible routes.
>>
>>7621535
>The take-away for me here is, some times one must walk to Mordor, taking the worst possible routes.

Golum and Smeagol lead the way. To get the precious is to kill the master.
>>
>>7621342
It's not literature.
>>
I thought the Eagles didn't take the ring for the same reason Gandolf didn't take the ring. Because their power would be to great ect ext
>>
>>7621342
>>>/r/books/
>>
>>7621342

Get. OUT.
>>
you disgust me
>>
>>7621342

Historically speaking, eagles have always widely maintained a neutral position in the politics of Middle Earth. With that said, Gandolf enjoys the same privilege that all those with status, knowledge and power enjoy.
The eagles help him because they see him as a kindred spirit with an elevated status.

An eagle, however, would never do this for the plebian masses of Middle Earth, as they would consider this beneath them- figuratively, and literally.
Remember this the next time you see one flying over head. Just be glad you're not a fish.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.