[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crime and Punishment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: download.jpg (13KB, 263x191px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13KB, 263x191px
What does /lit/ think of Crime and Punishment?
>>
One of the best works of philosophy ever written.
>>
It's very good.
>>
The greatest novel ever written. Trumps Tolstoy, better then Brothers K with the exception of The Grand Inquisitor, as a stand alone chapter it's nearly perfect. I'm a Catholic. That chapter was soul crushingly well done.
>>
Best translation? I'm not learning Russian, it's about five languages down.
>>
>>7610879
Coulson is pretty good
>>
>>7610879
P&V is the best translation of Dostoevsky's works into English. For instance, in the Underground Man, they used the word "wicked" (a more proper translation) where all others used the word "spiteful", because they were imposing their own ideas about what the story was about instead of Dostoevsky's ideas, which were more theological (the wife of the P&V translates theological works for the Orthodox Church).
>>
IMO, chapter 6 part 6 has got to be one of the greatest insights in to what its like to want to kill yourself in literature. Period. There's no doubt in my mind that Dostoevsky went through that himself.
>>
>>7610888
How can you have fun doing this over and over again? Nobody thinks you're funny, you're just a little annoying.
>>
>>7610943
He probably thinks he's on mission, converting the heathens or some bollocks.
>>
>>7610879
Magarshack.
>>
It's my favourite novel by far. It has everything I could ask for out of a novel, plus it's just a damn good story.
>>
>>7610851
Best book I've ever read desu.
>>
>>7610888
This is how you behave, after I went to bat for you in your thread this morning?
>>
Dislike it intensely. Ghastly rigmarole.
>>
>>7610879
Magarshack >>7610978, McDuff, or Ready. Coulson >>7610882 might be good too, but I'm not sure.
>>
Has anyone read the Oliver Ready translation? I read the revised Garnett, but thinking of buying this Oliver's translation for my pop.
>>
>>7610943
>>7611385
It's okay guys, he's pointing out that P&V aren't being faithful to the authors they're translating.
>>
>>7611400
I have. It was good but I haven't read it translated by anyone else to compare it to.
I have read Dostoevsky's other books translated by Garnett, magarshack, p&v, avsey and mcduff. The ready translation was as readable as the rest. Very enjoyable.
It was my second favorite book after tkb translated by Avsey.
>>
Just finished the Monas translation and thought it was fantastic.
Great novel.
>>
Somebody post that cover
You know the one
>>
>>7611542
What's up with the Wordsworth meme? We get it mate.
>>
I liked it, personally. It was a good "book."
>>
>>7611400
Get it. I gave up P&V for Ready halfway into crime and punishment and haven't looked back. P&V is awkwardly phrased at times and makes for difficult reading..
>>
>>7610851
fail cover. they got the axe backwards
>>
File: 716aY-w9nhL.jpg (137KB, 796x1244px) Image search: [Google]
716aY-w9nhL.jpg
137KB, 796x1244px
>>7611542
>>
>>7611746
>they got the axe backwards

Wrong. The text is specific that Raskolnikov 'brought the butt-end down on her head'.
>>
File: vladimir-nabokov.jpg (39KB, 411x395px) Image search: [Google]
vladimir-nabokov.jpg
39KB, 411x395px
>>7611392
Stay dead nabby
>>
>>7610888
Fuck off pleb
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.