[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've recently decided to get started on philosophy and decided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: tsz.jpg (505KB, 864x1296px) Image search: [Google]
tsz.jpg
505KB, 864x1296px
I've recently decided to get started on philosophy and decided to start by reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
However, as I'm a total n00b in philosophical thought, and advanced literature too, desu, I think I may have missed much of the deeper understanding of the book
Is there any work that'd be better for a begginer? I've heard that the greeks are a good start, but I don't know much about them to actually choose a good starting book
>>
>>7610719
>I think I may have missed much of the deeper understanding of the book
>I think I may have
>I may have
>may

Start with the Pre-Socratics.

Parminedes and Heraclitus
>>
>>7610739
As I've said before, I'm a complete begginer on philosophy
Do I start with Parmenides' biography?
And Charles H. Kahn's book on Heraclitus?
>>
>>7610763
You start with the stanford encyclopedia, read the whole thing, then look in the bibliography
>>
>>7610776
l-lad
Where do I even start there?

I don't even know if you're being mean tbqh
>>
>>7610719
Read a book on the History of Philosophy, so you may know at least what are the main ideas and theories and who are the main philosophers throughout history - I've read Bertrand Russel's History of the Western Philosophy, but I've heard that Copleston guide is better.

After that, read Plato and commentaries on him and the pre-socratics. From there, you can choose what to read, since you'll have an overall idea of what is more in line with you.

If you really know NOTHING about philosophy and don't bother with YA, read Sophie's World. It's a good introduction. It got me into philosophy.
>>
>>7610783
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/heraclitus/
>>
>>7610719
How many years did take you to read zaeathrusta as a full pleb?
>>
>>7610833
it's only like 130 pages
>>
For a basic idea of what philosophy is about Bertrand Russell's short book "The Problems of Philosophy" is all you need. If you want to learn specific philosophers then I recommend Waterfield's "The First Philosophers" about the pre-socratics and in general avoid Penguin if you're able to, though I think it might matter less for Plato than the others. Epicurus might be worth reading, too.

If you want a core reading of Plato I've read most of his works and I recommend -
Apology, Crito, Phaedo (often grouped together), Gorgias, Protagoras, Meno, Republic, and though I haven't read it you technically should read Symposium as well, and leave his later works (Theaetetus, Parmenides, Sophist, Laws) until you have more ability.

What appeals to you about philosophy?
>>
>>7610833
Like a month actually
>>7610841
lad, it's 400 pages long
>>
>>7610791
>>7610859
I think I'll start reading a bit of Bertrand Russel then. I know jack shit abuth philosophy's history, so it's probably for the best
>>
>>7610719
thats a dope ass zarathustra cover mayne
>>
>>7610884
dude russel is an asshole, in history of western philosophy is basically 1000 pages of him shitting on every philosopher ever.. take his opinions with a grain of salt...
>>
>>7610791
>Copleston
I looked that up and it's 11 volumes, the first one being 544 pages. I'm not sure it's worth the time to read a huge history like that unless you specifically want to learn about it in depth. If all you want is an introduction it seems like a 100 page book might work well enough.
>>
>>7610719
Thus spoke your mom in bed amirite
>>
>>7610979
desu
>>
>>7610719
>I've recently decided to get started on philosophy and decided to start by reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

You've made a terrible, irreparable mistake.
>>
>>7610859
Why should you avoid penguin?
>>
>>7611651
For philosophy their selection of translations are second-rate at best (though often third).
>>
>>7611625

Kek
>>
Get Magee's Story of Philosophy

Read Oxford's The First Philosophers: The Presocratics and the Sophists

Then read Plato, WITHOUT COMMENTARY ASIDE FROM AID FROM THE SEP

Then read Aristotle
>>
>>7611625
This right here.

Come back to Zarathustra in 5 years when you've read other stuff.
>>
>>7610719
Nietzsche is about as inaccessible and unintelligible as philosophy gets, and it's built off of many hundreds of years of prior writing. Not just that but Zarathustra is the most inaccessible and unintelligible thing Nietzsche wrote.

I don't know whether this was well-crafted b8 or you genuinely thought going straight to Zarathustra was a good idea, but in case it's the latter, my advice depends on how deep a knowledge you're willing to pursue and whether you have particular interests. If you genuinely want to become intimately familiar with all of philosophy then starting with the greeks is probably pretty smart. If you just want to get an idea of what goes on in philosophy and have a decent grasp of the main issues, just go to the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy and start reading something that seems like an interesting starting point.

In fact, I'd recommend SEP either way, just read the core texts and extended secondary literature too if you're doing it properly.
>>
>>7612423
>Nietzsche is about as inaccessible and unintelligible as philosophy gets
this isn't even funny; why would you do this
>>
>>7612423
>>7612459
I-I thought it would be nice to start with such a famous book
And some dude here recommended it for begginers in philosophy
So I partially blame you guys
But as everyone said here, I think It's best if I start reading a bit on the history of philosophy before I go deeper into more modern writers
>>
>>7612423
Pleb
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.