[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fantastical quests

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: beowulf.jpg (768KB, 855x1403px) Image search: [Google]
beowulf.jpg
768KB, 855x1403px
what are the essential literary fantastical quests or journeys? so far i have

>odyssey
>aenid
>beowulf
>lord of the rings
>the hobbit
>bonus reading: hero with a thousand faces

a key feature of what i'm interested in is some sort of supernatural, divine, or magical influence or characters in the work. i'm sure there are some in eastern literature i'm unaware of. i'm also interested in expanding from past mythological settings to any that take place in the present, near-present or future.
>>
The Alchemist
>>
>>7607926
Lord of the rings
>>
>>bonus reading: hero with a thousand faces

This one isn't specific to quests though
>>
>>7608335
Just to add on to this, the Odyssey and the Aeniad.
>>
The Golden Ass - Apuleius
>>
>>7607926
Journey to the West - Wu Cheng'En
>>
>>7608335
>>7608346
super helpful guys. thanks.

>>7607969
>>7608494
>>7608516
thanks for some real answers.

re: the alchemist, i admit i'm a bit uneasy about the "if you believe it it will happen" message the internet says it has. it's not just a gussied jonathan livingston seagull is it?
>>
Epic of Gilgamesh
Argonautica
Clarel
>>
OP, you should read The Teachings of Don Juan by Carlos Castaneda.
You might like it.
>>
Gargantua and Pantagruel, (bottle quest)
>>
File: NibelungenFritzLang.jpg (117KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
NibelungenFritzLang.jpg
117KB, 800x534px
I think the Nibelungenlied deserves a mention
>>
>>7609942
i've read excerpts from that in an anthro class. is it better when read as a whole?

>>7609974
any recommended translation?
>>
You should read the following
Gawain and the Green Knight
Children of Hurin (seems you like Tolkien)
Epic of Gilgamesh (Especially the last tablet)
The Divine Comedy
Don Quixote
The Brus (It's hard to find but there are versions online if you look hard enough)
The Ramayana
These are some great texts, there are many others but I don't feel like admitting to the extent of my reading of medieval romance. All I can say is you won't be let down with what I've listed.
>>
>>7611386
cool. thanks anon.
>>
the Ossian poems
>>
Latro in the Mist
>>
bump to keep this alive before i forget to save it
>>
Back from Page 10!
>>
Sir Orfeo
The Faerie Queen
>>
>>7607926
PARZIVAL
A
R
Z
I
V
A
L
>>
God, I hated the Alchemist... It honestly felt like "Pyramid Scheme, the Book"
>>
Orlando Furioso
>>
>>7614706
Or, alternatively, Perceval
>>
>>7607926
The Epic of Gilgamesh
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.