[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
What did you guys think of this? I thought...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
What did you guys think of this? I thought that it definitely had its good moments but also had a fair share of obnoxious moments.

Also, did anyone understand Church not made with Hands? I admittedly started it, didn't understand shit, and then went on to the next story.
>>
>>7606133
You have to be a white college male to truly get it, sorry.
>>
>>7606141
B-but.. I am familia. Every story was pretty breezy except for that one.
>>
>>7606133
I still laugh about the little part where he screams VICTORY FOR THE FORCES OF DEMOCRATIC FREEDOM whenever he cums. I don't know any reason why, but it makes me laugh every time
>>
I did the same thing desu. I also dropped tri-stan halfway through because i got the point and the style was really grating. Everything else was good tho
>>
>>7606202
It was a slog, what was it all about, it wasn't a parody, wtf was it?
>>
>>7606249

I don't think you can say it was about one thing but the hideous men stuff I took as the tension between new sincerity and the intellectual pick up artistry that we later saw in the character of Oren from IJ
>>
>>7607017
What about that whole "another example of the porousness of certain borders" shit
>>
>>7606133
I liked it best of all his short story collections.

The bathroom attendant story was a great balance of funny/sad.
>>
>>7607785
Utter wank, ripping off the 'cheese symphony', but with a gen x twist.

As for the men, he is hiding behind irony, doing exactly what he professed to deride.
>>
>>7607858
How was he hiding behind irony? Though there was an overt fear of pretentiousness throughout the book and a self-consciousness that got irritating at times, not many of the interviews were what I would call "ironic." And even if they had an ironic tone, Wallace never professed to be in agreement with what they were saying.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Thread DB ID: 442116

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.