[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw realize you haven nothing to say that hasn't already

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: AnimeGirl_Suicide.jpg-c200.jpg (15KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
AnimeGirl_Suicide.jpg-c200.jpg
15KB, 200x200px
>tfw realize you haven nothing to say that hasn't already been said and in far more interesting terms

Time to stop writing I guess
>>
>>7604831
Well...
Nobody's asking you to say something new and original in an exciting way.
Go read moar.
>>
>>7604831
Anon, haven't you realized that you're going to have to enter into an obsession with another, established writer, to the point where you are so agonizingly concious of your own flaws that you snap and start interpreting flaws into the other writer that you can then fix with your own works
>>
>>7604833
What's the point if you aren't contributing in some way?

>inb4 art for art's sake
>>
>>7604839
>Any art at all
Unless you have a publusher waiting for ur manuscript, fuck writing. Read moar, lurk moar, and don't write creatively until you're crying to say something new.
>>
>tfw constantly generate original ideas
>tfw cannot express them so that others understand
>>
>>7604849
This is fine until >and don't
>>
>>7604845
>Fuck writing

I've tried to do the whole "just read without writing at all" thing and it just doesn't work for me. I always end up getting ideas out of nowhere that sound really good and then I try to write them and realize it's all philosophically derivative or psuedo-intellectual garbage that is laughable. So I just stop reading and writing in general for a while and sit around depressed then get back into studying things and reading and then get back into writing and the whole thing repeats
>>
Vanity of vanities etc etc.

People have been bitching about this for a few millennia it still didnt stop countless great works from being written.
>>
>>7604856
>getting ideas out of nowhere that sound really good and then I try to write them and realize it's all philosophically derivative or psuedo-intellectual garbage that is laughable
kek this happens to me too, but it doesn't discourage me from reading... I just realize I'm not cut out to be a writer.. or maybe i just haven't had enough literary intake or writing practice to give my ideas a fair chance
>>
>>7604831
the world's constantly changing anon
there might be nothing new under the sun but you can fool most of us
>>
>>7604961
Maybe, but it's almost never an acceptable quality when you start off with something
>>
Just finish a thing already.
>>
>>7604838
This. They were good, but bit good enough. Yours will be better.
>>
>>7604831
I'm going to tell you something my lit professor once told me.

There's actually a term in competitive chess. It's called "on book".

Basically, the World Chess Federation has recorded hundreds of thousands of games of chess, over hundreds of years. Each recorded game is split into "Boards", which are literally just the exact configuration of the board in X turns. When you think of chess from a meta-game standpoint, this is basically what you think of, not the placement of the individual pieces, but the configuration of the board as a whole, and how that board can shift from one configuration to the next.

The thing about competitive chess though, is despite how many years and how many individual boards have been recorded throughout history, the number of which is well north of a million, It's not only possible but probable that a game played tomorrow will go "Off book", meaning the configuration of all pieces on the board won't resemble any configuration in recorded history.
The game won't start that way. In fact, it will usually take five or six moves of on book play to get there, but it will get there.

And so it is with writing. When you start, chances are good you will start "on book". You will repeat yourself or others. You will sound trite and inconsequential. But keep writing. Eventually, you will say something original and interesting. If you keep at it, it's only a matter of time.
And more importantly, keep reading, because it's impossible to know what is on and off book unless you study the book.
>>
>>7604845
Well that's just self-defeating.
>>
File: interested-frog.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
interested-frog.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>7604831
>oh look, it's this thread again
>>
>>7604831
You practice writing that when the time comes that you need to say something, you have the ability to do it.

Right now I'm being blockaded in my field but I've written a couple shitty teen books just for kicks and dreams. I'm now writing something targeted at the people hindering me, and I'm hoping it will bridge the gap between the things we both understand so they'll stop being faggots about the way I talk. The book so far is actually pretty good and required me working out a lot of the specifics I never would have bothered with any other way.

Keep writing because you'll eventually wish you could do it well.
>>
>>7604845
This doesn't work because writing is an actual skill. Your brain is taking the abstract information it recieves from your senses and creates meaning out of it, that meaning can then be translated into words (among other things) defined by the medium you're working in. That translation is an appreciable skill. You can be born with a talent for it, but you aren't born a master. You'd simply fuck up the same thing less times than your peers.

You still have to actually fucking do it though.
>>
>>7605156

thank you beautiful anon.
>>
>>7604856
>is laughable
as is your writing
>>
Being a competent hack isn't so terrible. If you're prolific, a lot of kids will grow up thinking "you're a freakin rediculous GENIOUS who defined my childhood!!!"
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.