[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into poetry? Is there a recommendation chart?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: waltwhitman.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
waltwhitman.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
How do I get into poetry? Is there a recommendation chart?

The wiki was not as helpful as I hoped?
>>
I started with the Bloom and Norton anthologies and went from there.
>>
>>7600842
Read an intro book to learn about meter, classic poem forms, rhyme and rhetorical techniques.
Then read a poetry anthology to get a good taste of different movements and poets.
Read more poetry.
>>
>>7600848
Any intro books your recommend?
>>
>>7600856
Poetic Designs by Stephan Adams is my favorite, but I also read the ode less travelled by Stephen Fry. They both cover the necessary basics.
>>
Imagine getting into poetry from a 4chan "recommendation chart".

Literally reddit the board. What a shame.
>>
>How do I get into poetry?
Read it.

>Is there a recommendation chart?
You posted a picture of a great poet. Why not start by reading him?

Poetry is an art of introspection and self reflexivity. You are on your own when you read it, you do not need someone to hold your hand getting into it.
>>
>>7600869
What are some good anthologies?

>>7600878
kys nigger
>>
>>7600878
What are you on about, the recommendations itt are decent.
>>
>>7600885
See >>7600844
>>
>>7600869
Ovid's Premise?
>>
>>7600882
i second this

just fucking read it

so many poems are free online,

JUST READ
>>
>>7600882
>>7600965
I think you will appreciate, and therefore enjoy, the poetry more if you understand meter etc.
You understand that the poet deliberately chose certain words and thought about what he was writing.

Of course I agree that nothing beats actually reading poems and thinking about them yourself.
>>
>>7600987
i literally learned meter off wikipedia in a day after becoming very familiar with a few poets complete works

i stand by my recommendation, to just read it
>>
Lyrical ballads
>>
form, grammar - kills originality
>>
>>7600987
The only thing you really need to know about metre at a basic level is to pay attention to which syllables are stressed and unstressed and that in english most shit is written in iambs.

Reading poets will help you understand rather than reading analysis. You'll get that shakespeare sounds like he is beating his wings and that milton is marching from reading them, not reading about them.
>>
>>7600842
Start by reading some American love poems OP. Stuff like Cummings, Whitman, Dickinson. Hemingway and Frost too. Just start with the really well known ones like the ones I mentioned. They're well known for a reason.

Also, learning to recite poetry helped me out so much in both loving poetry and finding the meaning of a poem.
>>
What kind of person are you? What interest you?
If you're desperate to respect the feelings of others, explore confessionalism. Lets get real, it's easy to love Sylvia Plath. If you like being edgy and stoned, Allen Ginsberg is a fun read.
>>
>>7600987

easy: reading and thinking about them yourself. and then the next day having your actually-a-poet poetry professor profess about the poem. spoon feeding you all the references you missed, all the interesting references the scholarly version you read missed, how such thing applies to your life, how other thing applied to his. and then the discussion groups and creative writing clubs.

>probably thinks he can tackle the waste land solitary and ignorant
>>
>>7600842
pastebin.com/cBZknniE
>>
a work of art that "requires" years of academic background is not a work of art
>>
>>7601412

why not? of course it is. why is art for a lot of people more valuable than art made for a few people?
>>
>>7601412
>things plebs say
>>
>>7601314
Excepting the mention of Hemmingway, this is a good and practical suggestion.
>>
>>7601426
badly phrased perhaps, "a shitty one" maybe more suitable.
to answer your question, its perfectly logical; more value is derived from something accessible.
also, a good work of art should, in my mind, connect with anyone, of course never on the same level, but it still should. i guess i'm just in opposition to his perspective on art, that being said this board shares his views and they are a necessity for my personal love of the place, although in the real world i wouldn't agree with this position, my apologies for breaking character
>>
>>7601505
>more value is derived from something accessible.
says who?

> a good work of art should, in my mind, connect with anyone, of course never on the same level, but it still should.
again, nope, try again. stop just saying things and pretending it's right.
>>
>>7601505
>a good work of art should

stopped reading right there
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOhoH8H2Mi0
>>
>>7602440
>says who?
let's make it easy for us with some definitions; 1 person acquiring value = 1 value
>again, nope, try again. stop just saying things and pretending it's right.
how so? of course a literary work of art should not, could not (maybe even then via the visual aesthetics of symbols) connect with an illiterate, but i'm divided if i'd argue for that being a worthwhile connection. so you see, depending on your criteria of connection one could argue the position that finnegans wake is enjoyed by toddlers. i'm not saying it's universally "right" per se, just argueing my perspective on art, unlike you.

academic works of art are academics jerking each other and critics off, very little value in that, i'd say. rather than something to be loved and praised by all walks of life.
>>
>>7602788
Utilitarians should be shot
>>
>>7602788
>people actually believe this

get off /lit/ and go back to reddit
>>
>>7601412

> oh no! I actually have to read some stuff and understand what I'm reading to enjoy what I'm reading! I'm going to play video games instead where I don't have to read at all. What a wonderful medium!
>>
>>7602514
kek
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.