[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had to choose, do you agree with John Locke or Thomas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: jkjkj.jpg (17KB, 285x200px) Image search: [Google]
jkjkj.jpg
17KB, 285x200px
If you had to choose, do you agree with John Locke or Thomas Hobbe's philosophy?
>>
Kant
>>
>>7599675
Popper
>>
Porphyry
>>
>>7599676
i dont know who thomas hobbe is but fuck john locke
>>
>>7599785
leviathan!
>>
>>7599782
did he wrote something about "the state" or "society" ?
>>
>>7599794
i assume you mean Porphýrios
>>
>>7599785
what's wrong with john locke?
>>
File: durn to yah.jpg (70KB, 396x594px) Image search: [Google]
durn to yah.jpg
70KB, 396x594px
the one and only
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
This nigga.
>>
>>7599675
I can't chose, since Hobbes's is already real ontology.
>>
>>7599675
Hobbes tbqhwy
>>
Hobbes

>>7599907
Rawls was and is the cuck of political philosophy.
>>
This is 4chan so it will be mostly Lockeans

Hobbes made more solid foundational points about societal roles, like a European Confucius, and the results are much less of a mixed bag than Locke's focus on property rights for "me me me me me me" which is selfish but understandable
>>
>>7599675
Locke
>>
>>7599907
>be an ignorant buffoon
>"hey, the rest of the world should live like this!"
>>
>>7601392
thank you family. I love seeing people who don't always engage in a Rawls circle jerk view of political philosophy
>>
>>7599675
Rousseau
>>
>>7599675
Hobbes was a bit of a poseur, so, by process of elimination, I'll go with Locke
>>
Both views are wrong but Hobbes was the better of the two.

The State didn't come out of necessity or out of a social contract; it came by force and through armies bought by capital accumulation.
>>
>>7601654
Who invited old Eric Hobsbawm and his old army of angsty Marxist shitposters?
>>
File: image.jpg (105KB, 691x753px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105KB, 691x753px
>>7599907
>School of Life font and backdrop
>>
nitzshy
>>
>>7599675

>treating the state as a necessary evil to be balanced against the individual
>not understanding that laws and customs are essential to the life of the virtuous man

enlightenment pls go
>>
>>7599675
Not Locke. He made up a very convenient argument that natives didn't have any real rights, so it was ok to land grab.
>>
>>7599675
>liberals
>>
>>7599675
Locke
>>
If you want a more obscure social contractualist, to wow the ladys, you can't get wrong with Pfuffendorf.
>>
>>7601845
fuck off
>>
Hobbes is the superior thinker even tho I disapprove of the degree of scientific rationalism present in his thought. His premises are fairly unobjectionable and he introduces a very subtle system. I like to read him along Oakeshottian lines even tho I don't necessarily think it's the best way to understand what Hobbes himself believed.

I'm sympathetic to Locke's conclusions but, like Nozick, once scrutinised he is left with a gaping hole where a serious theory of original appropriation should be. I think the theory of property is where the ultimately arbitrary nature of all political positions is most clearly exposed on both sides - it comes down to bare assertion when you dig deeply enough.
>>
I remember 11th grade history

The answer is obviously Lenin
>>
I share Hobbes' cynicism, so probably him.
>>
Scrap them both and go back to Grotius.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.