[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw been since december reading exclusively short stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 1450679399968.png (192KB, 376x390px) Image search: [Google]
1450679399968.png
192KB, 376x390px
>tfw been since december reading exclusively short stories
>>
I noticed you posted DFW
I noticed that you greentexted
I noticed that you admitted to something
I noticed that you feel
I noticed that you are a mirror
I noticed
I will always notice.
>>
File: Borgesygroupies.jpg (231KB, 721x489px) Image search: [Google]
Borgesygroupies.jpg
231KB, 721x489px
Nice OP, can you recommend me some writers?
>>
>>7598981

What have you liked the most?
>>
>>7599001
>>7599002
What I read was:
Ficciones by Borges
Cathedral by Carver
Collected Stories by Faulkner
Some short stories by Chekhov

I had read these authors before. Faulkner is a discovery as a short story writer, I had read three of his novels and, although some of the stories in the volume are pretty similar (equally enjoyable) there are much of them that treat different themes, in even humorous ways rather than in the pessimistic mood in Absalom, Absalom! (my fav), The Sound And The Fury and As I Lay Dying. Without the index in front of me, I'd say my fav stories were Wash, Two Soldiers, Victory, Golden Land, All the Dead Pilots, Barn Burning and those about them natives.
Borges is fucking dope. Will read more by him. Also his prose in Spanish (my first language) is damn good.
Raymond Carver and Chekhov are pretty similar. Read them when I wanted to take a rest while reading the Faulkner volume. Chekhov is brilliant, elegant conciseness, everyday heartbreaking stories, his characters are as ridiculous as Gogol's ones, but Chekhov portraits them being totally sincere: they ain't just funny; they're weak, patethic and miserable just like us. Carver is a real nice american/contemporanean homologue for Chekhov.
>>
imma bump dis shit
>>
File: 1438929623140.jpg (43KB, 720x600px) Image search: [Google]
1438929623140.jpg
43KB, 720x600px
>>7599126
These are some good picks, OP.

For anyone else interested in short story recommendations, here are a few:

>Boule de Suif - Maupassant
Like his mentor, Maupassant was always searching for "le mot juste" - 'the perfect word' to use. It shows.

>Bartleby the Scrivener - Melville
Ah, Bartleby. Ah, humanity.

>Bliss - Katherine Mansfield
Modernist short stories. This is how you write them.

Bartleby will always be my favourite short story of all time, though. I have read it twenty times, and will read it many more before I die.
>>
>>7599001
Daphne Du Maurier
>>
File: 2011-10-19-20110603_miku_002.jpg (333KB, 720x481px) Image search: [Google]
2011-10-19-20110603_miku_002.jpg
333KB, 720x481px
>>7601805
Fine taste.
>>
>>7599001

Chejov
Cortazar
Augusto Monterroso (I don't know if he was traslated)
Dosto wrote really nice short stories
>>
>>7601805
>These are some good picks, OP.
>Bartleby the Scrivener - Melville
I would prefer not to.
>>
>>7598981
When daveposting, it's common courtesy to replace "tfw" with "dfw".
>>
>>7601926
>Dosto wrote really nice short stories

Yes he did, and some particular recommendations are 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man' (the best one imo), 'The Christmas Tree and a Wedding', 'A Gentle Spirit', 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree', 'White Nights', 'A Faint Heart', 'The Eternal Husband', 'The Crocodile', 'Bobok', and 'A Nasty Anecdote'. The last three show some humor and absurdity, and the others involve genuine feels.
>>
>>7598981
why? the short story is dead. as dead as poetry: writers writing to writers
>>
>>7599001
Kafka and Gogol had some great shorts
>>
>>7602002
>teaching the redditors how to """fit in""""
thanks for further killing this board, you plebeian shit
>>
>>7602002
>courtesy
enjoy your fucking spooks mate
>>
>>7598989
>>7602002
>>7603360
>>7603368
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1sYgADauwhR
>>
Someone please redirect me to a epub or something of Ficciones, the only thing I can find is the Collected Fictions one that is 500+ pages.
>>
>>7599126

>Cathedral

nice man, one of my favorite collections

>Chekhov

I recommend Forty Stories, published by Vintage. It's the best translation of his work.
>>
>>7603627
If I gotta read a translation lf Chekhov I will read it in spanish mane
>>
>>7603627
*of Chekhov
>>
>>7603736
What translation to Spanish do you recommend then, lad?
>>
>>7599001
Kafka
>>
>>7603763
The volume I read had them translations by Lumen although the book is published by Debolsillo
>>
>>7603864
Bueno. Le voy a pegar una ojeada si lo encuentro entonces
>>
>>7603916
Recomendado queda, compadre.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.