[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moby Dick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: moby-dick-1956-04-g.jpg (206KB, 1200x921px) Image search: [Google]
moby-dick-1956-04-g.jpg
206KB, 1200x921px
Is there any truth to this?

>Ahab is virtually a human monolith, a Promethean figure. He takes his multinational crew in maniacal pursuit of the white whale which took off his leg (and, Melville implies, more than that: as a friend of mine quipped, a better title for the book might be Moby-no-Dick).

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/books/2015/12/white-whale-big-smoke-how-geography-london-inspired-moby-dick

Currently reading Moby-Dick for the first time in English (not my native language, but I manage, the cetological and actual story portions are really enjoyable), just passed Ahab's first description and couldn't find any of those implications so far. Should I expect them to pop up eventually?
>>
He really hated that fucking whale.
>>
>>7596163
Oh I'm laffin.

Actually OP, I've read it twice and haven't thought of that before, but it does make some sense.
>>
>>7596067
been a while since i read the book but as far as i can remember there is some mentioning of him losing his third leg
>>
I'm pissed. Royally... Pissed.
>>
>>7596178
What I’ve dared, I’ve willed; and what I’ve willed, I’ll do! They think me mad – Starbuck does; but I’m demoniac, I am madness maddened! That wild madness that’s only calm to comprehend itself! The prophecy was that I should be dismembered; and – Aye! I lost this leg. I now prophesy that I will dismember my dismemberer.

This is an internal monologue of Ahab. If he lost his dick I think it would be in his thoughts.

People are obsessed with dicks and I think they project this onto books/characters. Can't a guy just be pissed he lost his leg?
>>
>I like my steak as tough and bloody as the damn sharks out there
Only thing I remember from reading this seventh grade. Also took that quote to heart.
>>
>>7596067

I doubt it's truth, I've read it closely and never picked up on that. And if it is true, I hope that academia doesn't figure it out otherwise it'll be studied under the influence of Freud and Lacan and Fanon or whatever they read now as a text of "emasculation"
>>
>>7596199
>dismember
>disMEMBER
>disPENIS

how do you miss this
>>
>>7596215
>and – Aye! I lost this leg

Dismember
Verb
To cut off the limbs of

Doesn't have to mean penis
>>
>>7596199
Beginning of chapter 106.

>[...] he had been found one night lying prone upon the ground, and insensible; by some unknown, and seemingly inexplicable, unimaginable casualty, his ivory limb having been so violently displaced, that it had stake-wise smitten, and all but pierced his groin; nor was it without extreme difficulty that the agonizing wound was entirely cured.

It's ambiguous but it's certainly hinted that Ahab was castrated as well.
>>
>>7596067

It's a simple story about a man that hates an animal. Why do people try to look for deeper meanings than there are?
>>
>>7596320
"all but pierced his groin" would seem to indicate that although coming close it did not effect his dick
>>
>>7596402
There's a point where people tend to overanalyze things but to say that it's just about "a man hating an animal" is to oversimplify things to say the least.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.