[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good plan for learning a language? I'd like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: img8971.jpg (188KB, 600x558px) Image search: [Google]
img8971.jpg
188KB, 600x558px
What's a good plan for learning a language?

I'd like to learn Italian as my second language, and I plan on using duolingo, watching Italian video, and reading Italian books -- would this be a good plan?

Unfortunately, I am still in education, so I can't focus all my time on it -- would doing just a bit each day be enough to reach basic (as in, could understand basic dialogue/literature, knowing how to speak in a basic way) level after about a year or two?
>>
>complete duolingo
>use memrise for vocab (learn at least top 5000 words)
>read levelled reader books
>read comics
>read literary books
>>
>>7596021
This + a grammar book, works great. The problem is that you need alot of discipline to learn a language by self study
>>
Read italian translations of books you've already read, italian articles, italian subtitles for your tv shows, change all language settings on your apps and pc to italian, when you're wasting time on 4chan look up common words and phrases you find, try thinking in italian.
Books about learning a language are useless imo, at least when starting. You can find a lot of things on the internet, use them.
>>
>>7596015
Joining a class is honestly the most effective way of learning. You will be taught grammar, and will have the chance to actually practice the language. Not to mention that you will actually stick to a fixed schedule and will get a fair bit of personalized tutoring from your teacher.

Once you've got the basics down, I think that finding a tandem partner does wonders for one's proficiency. Of course you should never really stop learning some grammar, but at that point you can focus more on watching films, reading newspapers, listening to music, etc.

>source: I speak 3 languages fluently and I'm currently trying to learn my fourth
>>
>>7596065
what languages?
>>
>>7596085
Middle English, Palois, French
>>
>>7596085
Spanish, Catalan, English and broken German.

I can also dabble in Portuguese as a result of living in the border for some time, but it is rusty as fuck right now.
>>
>Learning Italian
>trying to understand chaotic conjunctive

Kek'd, 10/10
>>
I wish I was a Yuropoor so I could learn these languages in real life. I learn best face to face.
>>
>>7596168
I'm from the UK senpai, can't just hop on a plane to Italy (would be rate sound though, girls are well fit)
>>
>>7596174
I know. It's literally because I don't care enough if there's no one to talk to.
I know Japanese due to my Mother and I did know Spanish when I was living in Texas. I just find it hard to learn languages with no one to speak to.
>>
I am fluent in Portuguese, English, Spanish and French. I want to learn a fifth language, but it is getting really high-maintenance to practice each one of the quartet weekly, so that I don't lose my edge. How do you guys keep your fluency in a language that you don't speak regularly?
>>
>>7598030
aside from english you only speak one other language, familia
>>
>>7598030
I hardly ever speak Amharic, but I hear it often. Also, you have to be comfortable in the language. You need to be at a point where you are able to think in that language. However, I don't know what it's like keeping up with all those languages senpai.

This is completely unrelated, but I wish I picked up Italian from my maternal side because there aren't many uses for Amharic.
>>
Good advice so far, I just wanted to add that NPR does the news in "slow Italian," "slow French," etc. that may be a good idea for you to look into. I'm starting it this semester when I begin French.
>>
I want to learn Old Norse but it's fucking dead and not useful.
>>
>>7598030
Pimp yourself out
>>
>>7596015
Let me just say, with learning just about anything, consistency is key.
>>
>>7598516
I've spent about £500 on an Old Norse course, still can't understand a single bit of Beowulf
>>
>>7599229

Probably because Beowulf was written in Old English.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.