[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Speed Reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (21KB, 350x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
21KB, 350x225px
Is it worth trying to stop subvocalising and learn various "Speedreading" techniques for when I'm just reading for fun and not for a test? Basically does speedreading take the fun out of it?
>>
You read faster as you read more. Read a rate that's comfortable and retantive for you and you'll eventually get better at it.
That's it.
>>
Depends if you just want the plot forcefed to you by a conveyor belt or not, you won't chew and appreciate the flavour is my take on it.
Maybe this is a bit far, but for me the experience was akin to reading a chapter summary I found online, I only remembered the neat and obvious.
>>
Reading very fast is just for absorbing information, you won't consider anything deeply or enjoy it.
Still, I used to read like 20 pages an hour, it was impossible for me to complete books. Practicing speed reading helped me move to the standard.
>>
Speed reading is snake oil. Give it up. Think about what you read. Books aren't experience points.
>>
>>7595146

You can stop subvocalizing and not speedread. Not subvocalizing is a part of speedreading, but it's not the exact same thing. Speedreading is literally about skimming well, which is why it's only good for work or school where you just want important bits of info out of a text so you can save time.

Reading without subvocalizing is just a habit some people have. You can read without subvocalizing and take your time with a book and have an overall engaging experience. You can still have a good memory of the text and savour the prose. People who tell you otherwise are just bad at reading without subvocalizing.

Harold Bloom is someone who reads at a really fast rate, but he still recommends things like thinking deeply about what you're reading, rereading to gain better understanding of the book, and going slow at the right moments.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.