[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/, gonna go buy some Kafka. What are your preferred

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

/lit/, gonna go buy some Kafka.

What are your preferred versions of his works?
>>
>>>/y/
>>
He's pretty much a household name, so you can go with the typical Oxford, Penguin, Everyman's Library or Modern Library if you like

Also, these are not bad if you like the cover art; no specific reason to buy them other than the covers, though
>>
>>7593817
There aren't huge differences in translation from one to another? Even over the years? I wanted to check out some used bookstores so I might find older editions of Kafka's work.

Any collections I should keep an eye out for with short stories?
>>
>>7593829
There are differences, yes, but with Kafka i've found they just can't really be resolved, you know? Like the only way you can avoid them is by reading him in German. Some people on this board probably have a consistent or inconsistent favourite among the first four publishers I mentioned, but generally speaking they're all top-tier in terms of the translators they employ.

Given that Kafka stopped writing a very long time ago, most publishers who have one will have all, probably done by the same translator.
Most series have The Castle, The Trial, Amerika, and an anthology of his short stories. The one I posed a pic of (Deckle Edge) also published his Diaries, Aphorisms, and both a complete and partial collection of his stories
>>
>>7593829
You're best off getting the Schocken editions. The Muir translations are enjoyable in their own right, but the Schocken editions have the best modern translations. I'm personally not too into the Anthea Bell Castle or the Hoffman Amerika.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.