[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've started reading some philosophy. Started with the Greeks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Plato.jpg (25KB, 216x296px) Image search: [Google]
Plato.jpg
25KB, 216x296px
I've started reading some philosophy. Started with the Greeks since thats what you guys told me to do. I just finished reading Symposium and before that I read Republic. I found both of them enjoyable and found the socratic dialogue really easy to get along with since im not very good at reading.

Anyway, what next? Keep going with Plato? Some other Greek? Something completely different?

Any suggestions very much appreciated.
>>
I haven't read the Republic yet, but I've read alot of his other dialogues like Crito, Hippias minor and major, Lysis, Laches, etc. I can't comment on their philosophical depth or historical importance, but I found them pretty enjoyable, so I'd suggest staying with Plato.
>>
>>7591221
Stay with Plato for a bit. There are at least a few other dialogues that might catch your attention: Euthyphro, Apology of Socrates, and Crito, which take place at the end of Socrates' life. Euthydemus, Hippias Major and Minor, Protagoras, and Gorgias, which show Socrates in his encounters with various sophists. The Meno, Laches, Lysis, Ion, and Charmides for shorter works where the characters and literary elements are evident and enjoyable. Maybe save the Phaedrus and the Phaedo for the end, since while they have a lot of dramatic stuff that will help you along, the contents are evidently harder and more obscure.

Whether you'd like to read Parmenides, Timaeus-Critias, Theaetetus, Sophist, Statesman, Cratylus, Philebus, or the Laws is up to you. The dramatic elements are much more obscure, though no less present.
>>
>>7591255
>>7591293
Thanks. I appreciate your replies.
>>
Read more then move on. But return at a later time, it's always important to come back to Plato.
>>
testing
>>
>>7591221
Fast-forward to post-1950's autism
>>
File: 2940015019780_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg (33KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
2940015019780_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg
33KB, 400x600px
Menexenus is Plato's best dialogue, I'd read that one next.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.