[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There are two definitions to good. There's the definition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: society-30.01.2014.jpg (100KB, 1702x1117px) Image search: [Google]
society-30.01.2014.jpg
100KB, 1702x1117px
There are two definitions to good. There's the definition of good referring to morality, such as good vs. evil, and there's the definition of good referring to objective claims, such as good vs. bad.

Neither of these definitions are similar to or mean "like" and it's subjective variants. When you say "something is good," you're not saying "I like something."

So why is there such a prevalent use of the word "good" being interchangeable with "like" in our society?
>>
you are autistic if you think language is defined by dictionaries instead of usage

also nice b8 fgt
>>
>>7576452
Why use the word "Good," something that's been useful for defining positive moral and objective qualities, to describe something you like but have little knowledge of, when you could simply use the word "like" because the predetermined definition is much different and actually applies to your stance?

Saying "I like thing" versus "thing is good" will prevent people from being pointlessly debated over opinions. It's standoffish.
>>
>>7576460
Because the good in both senses of the word is what is desirable

Sperging over language has been the death knell for real philosophy
>>
>>7576468
But "like" simply refers to something you, yourself, find enjoyable, satisfactory, or agreeable (and not necessarily agreed upon.)

That's not even close to "good," something that is good would outright benefit humanity.
>>
>>7576460
>something that's been useful for defining positive

prescriptivism is literally autism: linguistic editions

fuck off
>>
>>7576475
>That's not even close to "good,"

Except that's what it means when it means that. Woah, language, so hard, right?
>>
>>7576479
The fuck is wrong with prescriptivism? Do you seriously think that african american vernacular english is just as useful for conveying english than formal english? You could argue that's a strawman argument, but that's exactly what you're fucking saying.
Get the fuck out of here you stupid nigger.
>>
>>7576490
Words are meaningless and society gives them meaning. If we allow our words to devolve back into meaninglessness, then humans would go extinct because it'd be impossible to communicate effectively. This is easy, basic shit that a 1st grader could understand.
>>
File: images (6).png (8KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (6).png
8KB, 224x225px
>>7576491
>asspained /pol/ butthurt over muh language
>bringing up strawmen arguments as if it matters
>"conveying english"

pathetic
>>
File: 1452151584581.jpg (32KB, 127x164px) Image search: [Google]
1452151584581.jpg
32KB, 127x164px
>>7576497
Well I guess I'm right, then. This was fun.
>>
File: ye[p.jpg (55KB, 701x559px) Image search: [Google]
ye[p.jpg
55KB, 701x559px
>>7576496
>If we allow our words to devolve back into meaninglessness

hahahaha
>>
>>7576496
Who gives a shit about words nigga goddamn just live your live hurr durr what does it mean when I say I'm in pain does it mean the same thing you mean when you're in pain hurr durr nothing can be communicated hurr durr everything is on the brink of collapsing into incomprehensibility if we don't have exact definitions for everything hurr durr herpa derpa

Boring ass sperg shit
>>
>>7576508
If our words have no meaning then nobody would be able to read literature. Therefore, if you think it's okay for langauge to devolve, you hate /lit/.
>>
File: Slippery-Slope.png (63KB, 273x329px) Image search: [Google]
Slippery-Slope.png
63KB, 273x329px
>>7576516
wew lad
>>
>>7576496
Human beings existed for a long time without language

>>7576491
>just as useful for than

lmao way to convey there buddy
>>
>>7576528
and they didn't have literature. So go to some non /lit/ board if you hate words so much.
>>
>>7576520
http://www.plainlanguage.gov/examples/humor/marktwain.cfm

You hate progress
>>
>>7576540
But this is mark twain making fun of you faggots for allowing the english language to degenerate.
>>
File: eee.png (335KB, 711x620px) Image search: [Google]
eee.png
335KB, 711x620px
>>7576520
you realize no one likes /lit/, least of all people on /lit/ right
>>
>>7576561
I think that is a very simplistic interpretation of his intent
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.