[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Movies that were better than the books they were based on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: Drive_poster_full.jpg (780KB, 2500x1875px) Image search: [Google]
Drive_poster_full.jpg
780KB, 2500x1875px
I'll start with James Sallis's "Drive"

The entire story of this movie was just one chapter in the book, but it expanded a perfunctory and mean episode clumsily dismissed by a bullet ex machina into a compelling drama, successfully extracting the pearl of value within the maundering angsty dross surrounding it.
>>
>>7574622
the shining by stephen king legit owns kubrick
>>
>>7574622
Fist Gang, obv.
>>
>>7574663
Don't you mean Kubrick made something great out of King's Dung?
>>
File: americanpsycho2.jpg (178KB, 1451x816px) Image search: [Google]
americanpsycho2.jpg
178KB, 1451x816px
>>
>>7574622

that movie was GOAT. As for your question, op, I don't know, I don't read books.
>>
>>7574917
Not him but no way dude. The Shining (book) is a horror classic fight me bro. I was 11 when I read it though so yeah...
>>
No Country for Old Men
>>
>>7574937
>I was 11 when I read it though so yeah
In a similar boat here, read it when I was really young and thought it was dope shit... however, as I got older, I became incredibly aware of King's shortcomings, and (perhaps more importantly) aware of the potential of literature and just how much better books could be than King's, so judging by that, there's no question in my mind that Kubrick's movie (which I adore) is better than the book, or anything King ever wrote.
>>
>>7575126
I hear ya, even though King's writing obviously isn't the best I still feel that The Shining is one of his best books and one of the times he really got it right, I also don't happen to be a huge fan of the movie...you lose out on the whole Jack and his dad and Jack and Danny dynamic which I feel adds an important layer to the story. If I read it again now though I might agree with you
>>
>>
Has anyone here read the Shawshank Redemption book? Believe it or not, I've never seen the movie and I'm wondering if it's worth it to read the book first.
>>
>>7574622
>>>/tv/
>>
>>7575273
Implying anyone on /tv/ has ever read a book.
>>
>>7574622
I only bought the book because the movie was a goat

fuck james sucklis
>>
>>7575470
>>7574931
>>7574622
that movie was stupid garbage lol
>>
>>7575169
>>7574622

These two suggestions are actually pretty interesting. A good movie adaptation is a distillation of the essential point of the movie and presenting that in a theatrical way.
>>
>>7575198
The movie is pretty accurate to the book but I don't think it matters which one you read or watch first. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It's a quick read, maybe 120 pages. The film is simply one of the best films ever made.
>>
>>7575612
This is correct. The biggest fan of Drive I ever met was also one of the biggest retards I've ever met and I don't think that's a coincidence. Only God Forgives, on the other hand, was way more interesting, ramping up the violence and stylization to the point where redditors just couldn't handle it.
>>
>>7576229

What on earth are you on about? Only God Forgives is a completely vacuous film that only appeals to pretentious (literally pretentious, not internet-pretentious) sorts who call ten minutes of staring blankly at the camera to be "austere" and "minimalistic" rather than just what it is - diddly-squat.
>>
>>7576239
I swear, there didn't used to be people like you on this board.
>>
The Godfather trilogy.
>>
>>7576262
Coppola had his ways. Apocalypse Now is better than Heart of Darkness too.
>>
>>7576249
What, people that aren't pretentious idiots? Sorry to pop your bubble, anon
>>
>>7576535
Isn't there some sort of "retard pride" parade you should be marching in somewhere?
>>
>>7576329
This so much. But I like Heart of Darkness too.
>>
>>7576099
>The film is simply one of the best films ever made.
Get raped by an aids infected ape.
>>
>>7575383
he said, posting on /lit/
>>
>>7576866
what other scenes of the movie did you enjoy?
>>
>>7574926
>>7575076
>>7575169
>>7576262
>>7576329

Yep.
>>
Eragon
>>
Manhunter and Silence of the Lambs
>>
>>7576866
6th grade is going well, I see.
>>
>>7575169
Jesus Christ no, it was nowhere near as funny they butchered the ending.
>>
>>7574622
Blade Runner. I love Philip Dick's work, but the film is on another level entirely.
>>
>>7576966
Maybe visiually, but the story was really underdeveloped and pretty unimportant, imo.
>>
>>7576966
I agree with this>>7576996
I was so disappointed by it because I was so hyped to watch it
>>
>>7576966
Dick's novel went all over the place with its mutants and fake animals. It should have sticked with the job at hand and not try to shoehorn shit like that. The movie was way better.
>>
>>7574926
its embarrassing how much better the movie is

>>7575169
meh, i think both are the same quality

>>7576099
it really isn't. the only good bit is when brooks gets out. rest ranges from decent thriller to cheesy cheese shit
>>
>>7577326
the point in most dick novels is presenting you world, the plot is secondary. if you think that plot should be the only thing to focus on then I'd like to tell you that /lit/ isn't the place for you.
>>
>>7577326

Yeah but that mood organ was a piece of genius extrapolation.
>>
>>7576229

This. Drive is garbage. Only plebs think it's a good film.
>>
>>7574937
go back and read every word of Dick Halloran's dialogue. King should be banned from writing black characters. not whining about racism or anything, he just doesn't have an ear for it to the level that he apparently thinks he does
>>
>>7576966
>Blade Runner
Pretty much.
Fucking space Jesus man.
I hated the book, what shitty turd made only popular by the movie.
>>
File: cvK8F.jpg (293KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cvK8F.jpg
293KB, 1600x1200px
>>7575169
it's a p close call desu—which prob says more abt the book than the movie
>>
>>7578189
God damn it, I am a pleb. FUCK

ohh well, might as well own this pleb shit, time to go buy some fingerless golves
>>
>>7578897
>Implying everything Phillip K. Dick wrote isn't well known by now
>>
>>
File: bateman.png (61KB, 241x240px) Image search: [Google]
bateman.png
61KB, 241x240px
>>7574926
I'm reading this right now. The movie should've had drawn out scenes of explicit gore, with Bateman narrating, such as: I take advantage of her helpless
state and, removing my gloves, force her
mouth open and with the scissors cut out her
tongue, which I pull easily from her mouth
and hold in the palm of my hand, warm and
still bleeding, seeming so much smaller than in her mouth, and I throw it against the
wall, where it sticks for a moment, leaving a
stain, before falling to the floor with a tiny
wet slap. Blood gushes out of her mouth and
I have to hold her head up so she won’t
choke. Then I fuck her in the mouth, and after I’ve ejaculated and pulled out, I Mace her
some more.
>>
>>7574622
One of my favorites didn't even know it was based off a book
>>
>>7580168
The book is way more violent and gorier than the film especially the part with the homeless man and his dog
>>
>>7580168
There's no way a movie with scenes like that would be able to get an R rating though
>>
>>7576940
I prefer the book ending as well but otherwise think the streamlined plot of the movie is better.
>>
>>7576966
Dunno man, I consider them different works.
I like the philosophy presented at the end of blade runner.
But I also absolutely adored the book.
I think Ubik and others by him are better, but PDK is still top tier writer and top 3 if not completely top in SF.
But I'm just a nerd though so I wouldn't really know, being biased like that.
>>
File: Jaws.jpg (601KB, 1000x1432px) Image search: [Google]
Jaws.jpg
601KB, 1000x1432px
The book was average at best. The bits from the sharks pov were great, Quint was different but equally as awesome as he is in the movie, and the last act was pretty good... but overall the book felt bland as fuck. The entire middle act was awful.

We got one of the greatest movies ever made out of it, though.

I really liked Peter Benchlys White Shark (it's the reverse of Jaws, where the book is GOAT and the movie is shit)
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.