[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Average people who "Read"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 13

File: 1452205723080.jpg (247KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1452205723080.jpg
247KB, 3000x2000px
I met a girl that said she reads, I asked her what she thought of Steinbeck because I figured he is well known enough. She had no idea who he was, her two favorite authors were
>a. John Grisham
>b. Nicolas Sparks
It was a complete turnoff. Where did I go wrong?
>>
Why even bother talking to girls about this shit like this and taking it seriously? The real conversation you should be having takes place in the subtext, the body language, the emoting, etc. Getting your panties in a bunch because some girl doesn't like lit tier books is a good way to remain virginal.
>>
>>7571437
It's the same for film buffs dude, just bite the bullet and accept that a pretentious attitude is going to be seen as a reaction relative to the norm whether you have it or not.

Accept that most people are forever plebs and either ignore the topic or recommend her books and say your back list is 100 strong so you won't have time for hers... that's the way it should be for women, they don't want to be influential they want to be known of and influenced.
>>
>>7571442

It just irked me hard.

I don't even know what I expected.
>>
I recommend getting into a relationship with one of these people for a while to learn how hellish it is to actually spend time with one of these people.
The more I make myself open to people, the more I hate them. Most people are complete trash intellectually.
The people I hate the most are apologists who try to act like everyone is of equal intelligence and each person has their own unique insights on the world.
Most people have nothing going on up there whatsoever. It's a desert. Why would you assume hairless apes necessarily have any kind of creativity, intelligence, or insight?
Also it's not just women but men as well. I've just ended up giving women all the more benefit of the doubt because I enter into relationships with them.
>>
>>7571447
>tfw my colleagues at work were making fun of me because I said I didn't like Star Wars and am not going to go see the new one
F-f-f-f-ucking plebs, amirite?
>>
>>7571437
>Girl Barista at coffee shop listening to Mumford and sons
>ask her if she likes them
>"I like the sound, but they lean hard on Shakespeare and Steinbeck"
Some people aren't plebs in every way
>>
>>7571595
>mfw there are happy people enjoying things near me

Utterly disgusting sometimes.
>>
>>7571595
Some might not be plebs, why take the risk of having them tell you about stuff that is boring all day unless you are going for a raise from that person? Best you can do is just leak a few tid bits here and there but nothing obvious, steal a few jokes from good movies and see if anyone recalls.
>>
>>7571598
This didn't happen.
>>
>>7571610
One of them is pretty ok with lit stuff and I can talk about Greek mythology with another.
>>
>>7571617
I only got called 'contrary', lucky you, senpai.
>>
>>7571618
Does the Greek guy also play dungeons and dragons though?
>>
>>7571646
No, final fantasy.
He's also a homo.
>>
>>7571653
>tfw no qt greek bf
>>
>>7571612
Well there's no way to prove it so whatever
>>7571625
Ironic because we're both posting on /lit/
>>
>>7571707
>whatever
>ironic

Are you fem anon?

And you accepted her deep critique at face value and didn't press, where did you take the conversation after?
>>
>>7571605

go to the local arthouse cinema.
they are playing Star Wars to keep their head above water.
waiting in line to pick up my reservation for some vague experimental French underground film in collaboration with a Japanese soy milker.
all these happy people around, couples, sometimes with children all smiling.
I loathe them, their narrow mass-market views.
They wouldn't understand the subtleties of Gaspard's camera movements in Irreversible or the tracking shots from Tarkovsky
They are plebs.
The load of them
>>
>>7571437
Most PEOPLE read shit. Not women.

I dont know anyone who is even into /lit/core
>>
>>7571762
I honestly know like two other men who read, and they were both in a medical residency program. I dont know why men dont read at all except for a slim slim minority
>>
>>7571437

>See q.t.3.14 on train
>She's reading East of Eden
>Too autistic to initiate contact

Oh well, I'm sure another opportunity will present itself, and I'll Hamlet the fuck out of that one too.
>>
On NYC trains you see the most people who are reading acceptably
>>
>>7571598

Honestly, what the fuck does that even mean? Do they allude to the authors in their lyrics or what?

I'm an idiot, sure, but how the fuck can sound lean on Shakespeare?
>>
>>7571617
It's a matter of their history to them. Even you admit you're a pretentious cunt, and smugness is exhuded naturally so they can tell.

From now on little acts of smugness like not liking star wars will remind them of the fact that you're a pretentious cunt
>>
If you're basing who you screw off how much they read, you're really doing it wrong.

Also when a person says they "read" anymore, they generally mean they read a YA novel once every year and a half. Get used to it, exploit it to your advantage.
>>
>>7571770
Because men as practical visual learners are easily visually distracted with the huge amounts of visual stimulus available and the education system taught them that books and words are boring girl things.
>>
>tfw burying myself in reading and writing to avoid the fact my gf has cheated on me several times
>can't imaging life without her but at this point it's just embarrassing
>she thinks I don't know

You could say I'm a cuck, but I'm hardly a "provider" so I guess I don't feel as bad about it
>>
>>7571787
Shut the fuck up. JJ Abrahams is a fucking hack and had no idea what he was doing.

All the actual star wars fan I've spoken to hated that shlock. It's a soulless cashgrab used to sell toys to gullible children.
>>
>>7571824
What would DFW do?
>>
>>7571828
>actual fans
oh please, my friends and I obsess over star wars and we loved it. It's not without faults of course
>>
>>7571824
Just cheat on her and demote her to fuck buddy for the rest of your lives, it's the only way to get her to stop cheating on you.
>>
>>7571824
kill him, kill her and then kill yourself. obviously the only pure course of action.
>>
>>7571807

Eh, both the men and women I know who read specifically love Kerouac and Coelho. The men tend to adore Bukowski (as well as one or two of the edgier women) while the women are also big fans of gay Harry Potter/Doctor Who fanfiction.

I don't mind too much, as I don't really discuss literature in real life. It's a brute cost-benefit thing. If I talk about good literature I'm either deemed a pretentious try-hard, which is shitty, or people will think it's great and cultured and my literary pursuits will be tainted by vanity. Shitty outcome either way. Sure, they might not care at all, but then why talk about it in the first place.

It would be great to meet some people with a genuine interest in it though.
>>
>>7571824

Have some dignity man.

How does your relationship even work? Does she know you're aware she's the communal village hole? How can she respect you then, and much more importantly, how can you respect yourself?

I don't mean to be mean, but man, the psychology of the thing is interesting.
>>
>>7571828
Who cares if it wasn't perfect when it was way better than at least half of the previous Star Wars movies
>>
>>7571832
>my friends
Exactly. You treated the film as a dumb social event.
>>
>>7571853
2bh episode 1 and 3 are more entertaining.
>>
>>7571854
I saw it twice by myself first tbhonest senpai
>>
>>7571852
Well I just imagine it works like most other relationships. We depend on each other in a weird way, like all couples. She doesn't know that I know she's cheated on me, with at least 2 different guys (not sure how many times)... Even though she cheats on me I think I do have something to offer those other guys don't, namely a relationship and emotional support.

As far as respecting myself goes, I don't. I dislike myself, and I feel like I would treat a loser like me in the same way if I were her, so in a way, I understand her actions.

>>7571860

/fit/ pls go.
>>
>>7571879

A relationship and emotional support while she is shitting all over you. Man honestly, you need to learn how to love yourself. That starts with dumping that nasty skank.

And I'm not the /fit/ guy, but seriously, try lifting. It could work towards making you like yourself more, and having just an ounce of self-respect.
>>
>>7571891
I'm not ok with it. I've been writing like a madman and reading even more to deal with it. Part of me is fueled by it, I've never been more productive in my life. Maybe I'll dump her after I finish my novel
>>
File: Juno-Temple-Feet-1033476.jpg (32KB, 161x358px) Image search: [Google]
Juno-Temple-Feet-1033476.jpg
32KB, 161x358px
>>7571437
I like this girl, despite of the butterface..\
>>
>>7571903

I sincerely hope you have extreme success with your endeavours, and that you will shove that skank out of your life.

Godspeed anon.

God damn it's interesting how I can feel so vehement about a guy I don't know getting cucked. It just rustles my jimmies like nothing else.
>>
>>7571639
A fuckbuddy calls me "the book guy" when talking about me to her friends, I met one of her friends for the first times this weekend: "Wow! You look like Justin Bieber".

Not sure what to think of myself anymore. Am I Books? Or am I Bieber?
>>
>>7571956
I'm guessing that the plot twist here is that your fuckbuddy and her friends don't actually exist.
>>
>>7571595

There is something to be said for the first 6 Star Wars movies, though. Even though they are as corny and canned as it can get, Lucas was, to a certain extent, an auteur. The new Star Wars is shit though.
>>
>>7571617

for what it's worth i liked the new star wars enough that i went and saw it again, i think it's a pretty decent film and would recommend it. i understand if you don't want to see it though, i usually don't like action movies and big franchises and stuff.

>Some people get really defensive when you don't like the things they do, as if you are insulting their intelligence

this reminds me:
>be in creative writing class at uni
>first lesson, tutor asks everyone what their favourite writers/books are
>this girl says a few writers like vonnegut, nabokov are her favourites but she also still reads harry potter and likes john green
>seems shocked and doesn't believe me when i say i've never read john green and only read one harry potter book
>'how can you have not read harry potter?'
>accuses me of lying about the fact that i don't love harry potter, because everybody does

that was weird. she refused to believe that my favourite books weren't YA or modern pop-fiction. that girl was an ultra pleb tho
>>
>>7572054
Sounds horrible. These people will teach your kids literature in school.
>>
>>7571437

GUYS. I talked to pretty girl and it turns out she was shallow! WHAT WENT WRONG????

Why can't pretty girls be patrician lit buffs? At this rate of disappointment, I'm gonna have to talk to a girl who's roughly as attractive as I am :/
>>
>tfw all the good ones die of cancer
>>
>>7572089

>Google her.

She was wife material.
>>
>>7572109
>She was wife material.
Indeed.

>Patrick Rothfuss is Shakespeare
Said a guy while he recommended me Name of the Wind..
>>
>>7571589
That is correct.
>>
>>7571589
I do the same, but I don't interact with people in general unless I need to ask something.
>>
>tfw my girlfriend knows a lot more about literature than me, has read more than me and is undoubtedly more intelligent

She admits, however, that I'm a "great" writer, so it's not all bad.

In my defense, I juggle a lot more hobbies than she does.
>>
>>7572146
sounds like you're a dilettante
>>
>>7572124

>She was in final year of med school.

God damn, she was even more perfect then I thought. I've always dreamed of being half of a an aesthetic stern doctor power couple.
>>
>>7572153
Perhaps in something regards. I have the most knowledge about video games because I'm a lost hope and have spent most of my time playing them, so I'm certainly a video game patrician.

I like to think that I have a decent grasp on the philosophy of film, but I'm certainly just an observer.

Writing is just something that comes naturally to me, through instinct. So I chose that as my career.
>>
>>7572169
>video game patrician.
>>
>>7572169
i dont' really care what your chosen fields are, but lines like
>In my defense, I juggle a lot more hobbies than she does.
tend to indicate pleb status, because it sets up a false dichotomy. all the true patricians have deep knowledge and expertise on a variety of topics, often very disparate ones, and it's only plebs and dilettantes who think you have to choose between breadth and depth
>>
File: Morrissey-young-black-and-white.jpg (122KB, 400x470px) Image search: [Google]
Morrissey-young-black-and-white.jpg
122KB, 400x470px
>>7572187
Let me have that, at least.
>>
And that makes you better than her somehow? Holy shit your fedora. Die alone not everyone reads to seem smarter than people.
>>
>>7572154
We truly live in the worst of all possible worlds.
>>
>>7572190
It isn't as though I just consume base-level mediocrity in all of the mediums. I strive to find depth and interest, and not take in dross, in every field of study or entertainment. What I was pointing out was that she spends all of her free time reading, whilst I have to find time to partake in all of my interests.
>>
>>7571783
The lyrics are 50% Steinbeck and Shakespeare quotes, 50% the words "heart" and "hand"
>>
>>7572222
Nice quads

What songs have Shakespeare quotes? I've never heard this band but want to check them out now.
>>
>>7572214
What makes one hugbox different from the other? Kill yourself sheep.
>>
>>7572255
>waaah he insulted my website!
>>
>>7572255
>>7572270
Look at these two faggot lovebirds
>>
>>7571936
I've cucked a number of young men.

I don't trust women.
>>
>>7572208

I'm now in love with a dead girl.

Live sucks.
>>
>>7571437
>Where did i go wrong?
Well you started with Steinbeck
>>
>>7571776
>and I'll Hamlet the fuck out of that one too.
Diddly Kekerino.
>>
>>7571747
> Gaspard's
> Gaspard
> d
pleb
>>
>>7573241

It's Gaspard for friends only, sorry you are not in his inner circle of the uppercuts of his creme brûlée of drug addicted friends.
>>
>>7571747
Why am I laughing at this post so much?
>>
The only women I know with "good taste" are the ones with an ex or current bf that have influenced them.

Get your shit together women.
>>
>>7572028
top kek
>tfw every anon on /lit/ is actually related by bonds of cucking, fucking and being cucked
>>
>>7573458
That is so true - I have influenc'd a few and I know how hard it is to get people to read some patrician books.
>>
what's better, people who read about 5 /lit/ approved books/year

or people who read hundreds of books including harry potter series every year, entire fantasy series and all the most popular YA pieces of trash?
>>
>>7573530
there seems to be two kinds of women:

ones that i find still posting on fb about some author of type of music i mentioned like once 4 years ago that they suddenly got really into or amass some huge graphic novel collection about losers even tho their successfully employed normies

and ones that recoil and think everything is pretentious and go even harder into YA and no reading at all

whyyyy
>>
>>7573546
*or type
>>
>>7573546
Women have no souls.

Stop lamenting that your cat doesn't watch good movies. It's a cat. It does what cats do. Same thing with women.
>>
>>7573553
i guess you're probably right, it is disappointing tho, will they ever learn to have a soul?
>>
I wonder if any woman stumbled into /lit/, what would they think?
>>
File: 1452528044771.jpg (17KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
1452528044771.jpg
17KB, 500x495px
>>7573696
>woman
>think
>>
>>7573696
They'd go straight back to their tumblr to blog about misogynist MRA shitlords on the internet and how they totally find it funny and aren't at all anal raged.
>>
File: 1451720018592.jpg (57KB, 500x751px) Image search: [Google]
1451720018592.jpg
57KB, 500x751px
>>7573730
When do we get our 'most sexist book part of the internet you've never heard of: why books are still a sexist boys' club' clickbait thread on jezebel?
>>
>>7572109
Not your wife, of course.
>>
>>7571824

I did this when me and my ex were in the long drawn out process of finishing. I came out of it a better person thanks to the reading. Just dump her ass and get the obligatory months solipsist self flagellating out of the way so you can be happy again, and maybe make something decent along the way.
>>
>>7572712
You're a bit of an asshole, aren't you?
>>
>>7571465
Someone might deride you for your comment sounding kind of autistic, but I totally agree with you. I don't know whether to be impressed or sad when people go on about "just give them a chance, everyone's got something interesting deep down." I totally disagree; very rarely, if ever, have I met an interesting person who seemed boring at first.

The more I read, the wider the gap becomes between the people I do and don't like; I have more to talk about with the former, and am more bored by the latter.

It's just kind of a bummer how dull most people are. I'm hardly a prize, but god damn.
>>
>>7573853
its fully true, you probably aren't very good with people if you cant get them to reveal anything interesting.

there are, for example, many people in the world who tend not to speak unless they have something really good to say. all of them appear boring at first but every now and then will just say something great.
>>
>>7571807

Personally I've found that a lot of women are shit readers, but there are more women who read actual literature than there are men. But the men I meet who read tend to be the best and most varied readers.

Though it's admittedly hard to find men who read.
>>
>>7573915
That's because it gives them more social status, to say that they read.
>>
>>7573754

Mate I'm an M.D. Even if I had the looks of a Goblin i could find a hot smart girl in the area formerly known as Soviet Union.
>>
>>7573910
It is not fully true, and that belief reveals an ironically narrow experience with other people. And don't project onto me your conflation of being shy or otherwise taciturn with being boring; when I mentioned people who were boring from the beginning, I wasn't so naive that I was referring to people who may just be withdrawn, but rather to those who are open, and in their openness betray how fucking boring they are.

Maybe you've never felt the disappointment of sitting across from a girl whose sorry attempts at conversation are punctuated by an embarrassing absentminded obsession with incessantly refreshing her instagram. If that's the case, I envy your blissful ignorance; otherwise, I pity the low standards to which you hold people.
>>
>>7572239
Don't. They're plebby folk pop shite, check out fleet foxes if you want an alright modern folk band
>>
>>7571824
You stopped being her boyfriend the moment she decided to cheat.
Stop calling her and treating her like your girlfriend. Push aside the fear of loneliness, drop her and cut all ties.

I'm not going to call you a cuck, just have some self respect. Likely this is advice you don't want to hear.
>>
why do threads like this ALWAYS blow up. why can't every single person who posted in this thread go back to fuckin /r9k/ or whatever forever. fuckin christ, you're ALL perpetually embarrassing this board
>>
>>7575668
i was just about to post that its awfully whiny and sexist in here, but im glad someone else here noticed that /r9k/ went a' browsing
>>
My girlfriend reads Hesse, Chaucer, Fitzgerald and WWII history etc., but her favorite author is Stephen King, you can't get everything.
>>
>>7571437

A true patrician knows how not to be a condescending cunt. A great athlete might not read any books at all and listen to top 40 because he spends 12 hours a day training

case and point, skip to 2:07 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcwU9fCBMM0
>>
We're nothing but human vultures, aren't we?
>>
>>7571447
>It's the same for film buffs dude
This. Most film buffs I know are the human embodiment of /tv/: they are obsessed with memes, believe they're smarter than they really are, and have a false sense of superiority.
>>
>>7576025
damn...
>>
>>7571437
See
>>7575607
>>
>>7576006
>case and point

I've seen others on /lit/ make this mistake, and some tried to correct me when I didn't make the mistake (suggesting I make the mistake you made), but it's actually "case in point".

Anyway, great athletes are typically the furthest thing from patricians. To be a capital-T True patrician you must be condescending to EVERYONE, even other patricians.
>>
File: magicarp.jpg (61KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
magicarp.jpg
61KB, 600x338px
>>7576058

Google seems to agree. Thou I'm not native English speaker and I've always seen it used like this.

Being patrician is just a faggy 4chan meme. IRL if you are a condescending cunt, no one will like you unless. Unless you are famous that is, cus then you would be patrician in the eyes of normies.
>>
File: 1452521921617.jpg (8KB, 412x314px) Image search: [Google]
1452521921617.jpg
8KB, 412x314px
so I my girlfriend just broke up with me and I am pretty devestated, but the new girl I have a second date tonight said her favourite book is stalker and movie- alien.

I just wanted a quick rebound, what will i do ?
>>
>>7576111
Hit it and quit it if you care that much about her taste

Alien is a good movie though
>>
>>7576133

thats what I mean.. I really loved stalker book and Alien movie also.

But do not want anything serious
>>
>>7576147
Do you mean "Roadside Picnic"?
Wouldn't she know the title if it's her favourite book?
>>
>>7576151

Yeah that is it.. It is my personal mistake atm.
>>
I constantly chastise my gf for not being a reader. It's created one hell of an insecurity in her. She attempts to read. She can't read more than one chapter of printed word.

I make fun of her for her poor word choice and silly grammar.
>>
>>7571465
you're an idiot for having such baseless assumptions. /lit/ is fucking full of people like you that think you have such an amazingly complex view of the world but in reality cant live, interact, or contribute a damn thing worth a shit to anything.
>>
>>7571617
oh you mean /lit/? haha just kidding anon, peace out.
>>
>>7572054
>Star Wars
>pretty decent

oh boy here we go
>>
>>7571879
Cut the shit anon. Self respect is the first and most significant of the virtues.
>>
>>7572154
She would never go for a shut in /lit/ mongerer. I bet shes into sadomasochism by big black guys.
>>
>>7571589

Exactly. Unless they are lesbians and asexuals. Or family.

I would say the same about straightbros who aren't willing to do bi-to-gay shit, except straightbros have a purpose, which is to platonically bro out with.

However, among women, unless they are lesbians, asexuals, or family, always have an eye on the possibility of fucking if you are a man whose cock likes pussy, even if you are a man whose cock also likes cock but not exclusively. You dig?
>>
>>7576327

It's decent. It really is. Not great, watchable movie, J.J. Abrams seemed like he was consciously trying to make into the meme-fuel of the year more than a real epic. On the bright side it's not awful.
>>
>>7571437
>widely attributed to be part of the American literary canon
No wonder I've never heard of him. He's one of those mediocre foreign authors who never would have made a cent, but he had a publisher that managed to sneak it into a school curriculum.
>>
I met a russian girl a while back that was big into lit. Since I'm technically a normie it was really refreshing to meet someone interested in things other than money and partying. Got into some deep conversations about culture and where the world was and is currently heading. People at the party thought it was weird that we were talking about russian literature while they were blowing lines of coke.

We actually hit it off and then she went home with her boyfriend (one of my best childhood friends).

>>
>>7577051
what's even worse is that my friend is actually a great guy and always thought it was cool that I enjoyed all of the non-normie things that I do, would try to talk about them with me etc.

He definitely only met this girl because of my influence
>>
>>7573761

I don't know if I would say that about that anon. Not nearly as horrible person as the women who are backstabbing their supposed lovers, that's for damn sure. In a way, he's a necessary litmus test for whores, and doing a greater good for the world.

He should make it a point to tell the guys afterwards. Sure it's dangerous, but such is the plight of the hero.
>>
>>7572063

Beauty is correlated with intelligence. The pretty = shallow meme is Hollywood trash, made to pander to the ugly masses.
>>
>>7572193

I'm fairly sure Morrissey is making me gay, slowly but surely. When I've been listening to The Smiths for any extended period of time I start to notice male q.ts much more often, more often than females even.
>>
>>7572243
Haha epic le reddit haha xD
do you fight for women on the internet in the hopes that they'll have sex with you? Are you a white knight? xD xD

*tips fedora respectfully towards you*
>>
>>7577140

Yes, if everyone had the same restraint and virtue, but they don't, and it will not happen. If she'd cuck him for you, she'd cuck him for the flavour of the next month.

That's why it may be easier to just do it, own up to it, say she didn't mention any boyfriend until afterwards, that you feel terrible about it, and make the world a better place by shivving harlots.
>>
File: dfw6.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dfw6.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
I have a story here. You can make of it what you will.

>I'm meeting up with a friend becuase he wants to introduce me to a girl he likes to take some pressure off of him in a social environment.
>he tells me that he "really likes" her which is big news because he's kind of a frat bro
>he says she's "like really smart" and i'm skeptical but don't show it
>We meet up at a restaurant
>he's there with her
>I introduce myself
>she's a 9/10 blonde with big tits wearing a revealing outfit
>very little conversation for a few minutes but my friend is fit so I guess conversation won't matter much with this girl anyway.
>She sees my camera and asks if I shoot photos
>leads to 15 minute in depth conversation about photography that alienates friend
>try to move the conversation back to something more general
>complain a little about work (I work with my friend in the school IT department)
>ask what she does
>she works at the met.(we live in NYC)
>mentions Bernini
>"lolwut, I actually love bernini" forty-five minute conversation about art.

(cont'd)
>>
File: dfw2.png (206KB, 310x293px) Image search: [Google]
dfw2.png
206KB, 310x293px
>>7577247
(cont'd)

>friend may as well not be there
>Starting to feel bad about doing this to my friend
>trying to think of anything that he could join the conversation with.
>during the course of this the conversation shifts to literature
>distracted from guilt once again
>she makes a joke about what a hipster voltaire is and how if he were alive he'd be an edgy kid in williamsburg
>conversation continues until we're talking about the state of modern fiction
>keep thinking in my head that this can't fucking be happening
>friend looks dejected.
>Conversation which has now shifted to political organisation and economics only ends as I make up a reason to go after receiving a text from my friend saying "WTF?"
>as I leave I hear her say to my friend "Sorry about that. it's just so hard to find someone you can talk to, you know"
>tfw

Should I feel bad?
>>
>>7577247
>>7577248
Yes, that was pretty insincere of you anon.

but then again, it's all spooks
>>
>>7577248
This is pretty dirt of you. Did your friend still smash those buttcheeks?
>>
>>7577247
>>7577248
Not cool, anon. Your friend had already staked a claim on that piece of property.
>>
>>7577266
>>7577276
>>7577302
What can i do to make it up to him. he hasn't taken a text from me in a few weeks.
>>
>>7577340
Write him a 850 pages long pomo tome with 18 plotlines and 24 sub-plots as a gift
>>
>>7577248
> Shittalking Voltaire
Fuck you.
>>
>>7577248
not at all. If your friend is a bro he would see how well you guys connected and be stoked for you.
>>
>>7577377
Should I text her.
>>
>>7577419
I think you should get things right with your friend first and then ask him if its appropriate. Bros before hoes etc. Your actions were questionable to say the least.
>>
>>7571437
Post more of this semen demon.
>>
>>7577472
>>7577419

Agree with this anon. Talk to your bro about it. Don't be confrontational either..just ask him how things are going with her.
>>
>>7577419
Yes. Don't listen to these betas. She can decide to do what she wants.
>>
>>7571437 why don't guys do that to me? Ah. I don't know any guy that loves lit..
>>
>>7577419
Your bro surely failed with her after you left. Shit sux for him. Not your fault he couldn't attract her.
>>
>>7571589
Well, it worked for Schopenhauer.
>>
>>7576394

STOP RUINING MY DREAMS
>>
>>7573853
People can and will deride me, because they themselves are the worthless pieces of shit that I'm talking about. If they could only think an inch past their own noses, then maybe they could grow and get somewhere. But instead they will remain confident in their own idiocy and reinforce everything that holds them back.

If you're reading this, keep at it, friend. Frustrating as it is sometimes, all in all, it's a pleasure being me.

>>7576320
Obviously projecting...
>>
>>7577640
Here's my perspective anon. I agree with you about it all. People, generally speaking, are shit.

But I will also say that most of them were never given the opportunity to become better. It's pointless to hold a negative opinion of an objective fact. Don't hold any opinion about it, it just is. People become a lot more tolerable when you stop expecting anything from them.
>>
File: sheeple.png (46KB, 376x401px) Image search: [Google]
sheeple.png
46KB, 376x401px
>>7571465
>>
OP, the thing about literature is that it's a vast subject. We could both have degrees in literature for different schools and not have read a single book in common.
>>
>>7572054
>for what it's worth i liked the new star wars enough that i went and saw it again, i think it's a pretty decent film and would recommend i
>i say i've never read john green and only read one harry potter book
you should try it, you'll like it
>>
>>7572054
to this poster and to all of lit,
when people act shocked that you haven't read Harry Potter or whatever else like it, they're just engaging in some light banter. No one is shocked that you haven't read something, go jack off somewhere else.
>>
>>7573696
I used to get furious at all the woman hate on this site, but after a while I realized half of you are trolling and the other half are lost causes who aren't interested in serious discussion anyway. Nowadays I either ignore it or join in.
>>
I think its rather uncommon to meet a person with similar special interests by accident.
I once met a grill on tinder and we talked about our feelings on yoshimotos tsugumi.
That was nice.
>>
The people I know who ""read"", male and female, enjoy stuff like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or YA shit. The average person simply doesn't like to read, anon
>>
>>7576320
From what position can you make basefull assumptions?
>>
>>7577059
your friends sound like nice people. be happy for them and spend as much time with them as you can. don't feel awkward about being the third wheel.
>>
>>7577985
Honestly, this picture perfectly illustrates the attitude of some people in this thread.
>>
no one i know reads it's depressing
there's this one guy who's a really loud atheist so i thought i could go shit talk richard dawkins since he worships him but it turns out he's never read any of his books
i asked him what he read and apparently he's never read a book outside of school
we don't even get book assignments here he's literally just read schoolbooks
>>
>>7580461
I bet most people who worship Dawkins have never read a book of his.
>>
>>7580463
I agree. Also I bet most of the people who worship Marilyn Monroe have never seen a film of hers. That's the way it seems atleast.
>>
>Where did I go wrong?
You chose a pretty girl. Only ugly people are into things, the attractive ones tend to play and pretend.
>>
How does reading fiction make you any smarter? Might as well read the People mag...
>>
>>7577248

>she makes a joke about what a hipster voltaire is and how if he were alive he'd be an edgy kid in williamsburg

>We both relate our superficial readings of a genius to vulgar concepts limited to our own very particular zeitgeist and locale

You'd make terrible babies.
>>
>>7574095
nobody tells you anything interesting because you're an obviously self-obsessed judgmental tool
>>
whats wrong with john grisham faggot
>>
>>7577247
>>7577248
this sounds completely made up
>>
>>7577472
if what op says is true about his attempts to steer the conversation back to more general topics being met with resistance then i'd say op did his fair part

>>7577419
you absolutely should, that's good chemistry, she wasn't meant for him
>>
>>7577248
>>7577247
this is embarrassing to read
why would you write this?
it's such obvious yet pathetic wish fulfillment

is this subtle bait?
>>
>>7581996
Isn't his prose pulp fiction-tier? I like the concept of The Firm, but I've never read anything by him. Always classified him on the same lines as Dan Brown.
>>
>>7571625
I lol'd originally.
>>
TODAY I MET A GIRL THAT IS NOT INTERESTED IN WHAT I AM INTERESTED IN. HOW DO I COPE?
>>
>>7571465

>The people I hate the most are apologists who try to act like everyone is of equal intelligence and each person has their own unique insights on the world.

They still serve as inspiration to those who do. How many great works have been created by thinkers living with and paying attention to common folk? Endless amounts.

You just sound like a little cunt with a superiority complex.
>>
>>7583541
if things like this don't happen to you, you need to know more people. there's more to appreciating art than sitting at home with a book. you can also talk about it with others, and when you do this with the opposite sex (or whatever your preference), they generally want to have sex with you
>>
>>7583541

Whenever I see a DFW picture with some rambling greentext it's always a red flag for a young kid.
>>
>>7577985
except that in reality only the guy sitting in the back would be thinking that, the guy standing up would be "man can't wait to go to the club tonight and fuck a slut", the guy with the briefcase would be like "Fuck I need to be more productive or I'll get fired" the guy in the back: "The game tonight was sooo cool" and the girl: "wish I was uploading hundreds of pics of myself in facebook right now"
>>
>>7576174
you sound like a real fucking cunt
>>
>>7584445
and it probably gets her nice and wet hating him for it
>>
>>7584454
/lit/ presents 'I have no understanding about women: the comment'
>>
Man I always feel completely fucking terrible around real people outside of 4chan and friends who go on 4chan because, while I have delved into the depths of literature, film, and music, my favorites in each medium tend to hover closer to the safer /lit/- and /mu/-core tastes (obviously I don't share the generic /tv/-core taste in film, accordingly). The issue is, even having such middle-of-the-road interests, I am still far more knowledgeable in these fields than all 'normies' I have spoken to. For example, I have never met anyone who has heard of Pynchon who does not also occasionally browse /lit/. Specifically, I have never met anyone in my uni's English program who has heard of Pynchon, aside from a film professor who knew of the man but hadn't read any of his shit. Interestingly, at least two people have heard of DFW. I am generally of the mind that no one else in the English program here actually reads outside of class materials, and if they do, it's just pop-fiction, YA shit. At this point, I don't even crave deep, intellectual conversation, just a basic exchange of namedroppings would suffice!
>>
>>7571589
What other purpose is there?
>>
>>7584477
>being this much of a triggered faggot over it
what they want and what they are drawn to are often two very different things. have you been living in white knight ignorance this whole time?
>>
>>7571812
>Because men as practical visual learners are easily visually distracted with the huge amounts of visual stimulus available

What pseudo-ADHD lazy cunt thought this crap up?
>>
>>7584481

>Specifically, I have never met anyone in my uni's English program who has heard of Pynchon

Get the fuck out of here, dude. I refuse to believe this.
>>
>>7584504
It's true, but I do attend a shitty no-name uni in Florida. I did formerly attend a bigger-name school, but I left before I changed my major to English, so I'm not sure how well I could have had it, had I stayed there. I do know that former school had a class on 'Post-WW2 Lit' which mentioned Pynchon in the class description, so obviously people would be aware of him through that class.

Actually, now that I recall, there was one girl who mentioned Pynchon by name, and I think I momentarily forgot her because she's less attractive than I would have preferred, and I am a bad person.
>>
>>7571437
hello reddit
>>
>>7584433

Whenever I see someone calling another kid on the internet, I think of a mid-twenties faggot who wears a scarf.
>>
>>7584612
Is it your boyfriend?
>>
>>7571653

he sounds cute to be honest

>>7571762

this is very true
>>
>>7584617

My boyfriend is a rugged outdoorsman in his early forties, not a gargantuan fucking faggot.
>>
>>7571824

I like it, it's like you're the desperate main character of a dark comedy.
>>
>>7571846

>I don't mind too much, as I don't really discuss literature in real life. It's a brute cost-benefit thing. If I talk about good literature I'm either deemed a pretentious try-hard, which is shitty, or people will think it's great and cultured and my literary pursuits will be tainted by vanity

exactly this. there are two people I talk about literature with. other than them, I only talk to my professors about lit. that's the way it's supposed to be and I'm fairly content with it.
>>
>>7584612

>hit a nerve

I knew it.
Only younger posters love DFW memes.
>>
>>7572712

>I'm emotionally insecure
>But I'm proud of it!

wow man congrats on cucking all these men I bet youre a real buff alpha dude with a three foot shlong. have some validation, I know you need it desperately.
>>
>>7584648

Not really, I'm not the greentext guy, nor am I an aficionado of the DFW meme. I just cannot take "kid" as a pejorative on the internet seriously. I just cannot.
>>
>>7573530

>I've never met a woman whose whole personality wasn't just a patchwork of traits appropriated from guys who've stuck their dick in her in the past.

so what about virgins? are they just literal empty shells that don't talk, don't move, don't breathe and don't think?

I've fucked two virgins and both of them had more "personality" than your sorry ass will ever have. your theory is bullshit.

go back to your frogboard you cuck.
>>
>>7584666

>gives life story

kid pls
>>
>>7573560
>>7573553
>>7573546
>>7573530
>>7573532
>>7573716
>>7573730
>>7573736

I want ROBOTS to leave
>>
>>7573910

this is very true. sadly most people on here lack any kind of social skills and can only have a superficial conversation, which makes them think everyone is superficial.
>>
>>7575668
>>7575936

if there was a way to report this kind of shit I'd gladly do so, but the OP always tries to make it a thinly veiled book thread
>>
>>7576174

>I'm such an asshole
>haha look how cool I am

fuck off you edgy /b/ tier autist
>>
>>7577091

fuck off with your memes, man. who cares if beauty and intelligence correlate? who cares if beautiful girls are often vain and/or superficial? it doesn't matter one fucking bit - all that matters is the individual. there's beautiful girls dumb as a brick and beautiful girls with the weirdest fucking interests you could ever imagine.
>>
>>7577103

youll be fine. I thought the exact same thing back then. was tired of women. still have never kissed a boy, even though I've always considered men as "sexually attractive", still fiend over girls even though I'm in a relationship.

life is weird.

>>7577140

I was in that situation once, did not do it. to be honest with you though I kind of regret it, the girl was fucking perfect.
>>
>>7577247
>>7577248

I don't think you should feel bad. At least you tried. It was his "mistake" if you want to find a scapegoat, but why would you? She seems like a nice girl, you hit it off, maybe you'll be friends. I mean this in the most sincere way possible.
>>
>>7577628

>it worked for Schopenhauer

yeah, I heard he was really happy with it

are you retarded?
>>
>>7584434

Well that's ironic
>>
>>7584434

I also read minds and I can tell you've been thinking about nigger dicks all fucking day you fag
>>
>>7584481

you need better friends, man. I imagine my life would be pretty sad if none of my friends had any lit, film, music, art and philosophy in common with me.
>>
>>7571437
Why would you assume that someone who spends a lot of time reading has read -any- specific author? Even if we only include English language authors, and even if we narrow the field further by only including ones famous enough to (say) have a Wikipedia page, I'm pretty sure there would still be thousands of times more books out there than you could read in a lifetime.

Eg I read quite a bit, but if someone asked my opinion on John Grisham I wouldn't have one as I haven't read him. And the name Nicholas Sparks rings only the faintest of bells. Why are you surprised that it works the other way too?
>>
Man, you /lit/ fags really suck

>multiple people literally, unironically claiming that only they have interesting inner lives or anything worthwhile to say

Why can't you just admit that you find it difficult to talk to people who don't share your interests? I would think that, being such intellectual titans, you would realize that making value judgments about the relative worth of your hobby vs other people's is fucking retarded.
>>
>>7584754

The general problem with /lit/izens is that they cannot see beyond their own little canon, which is both embarrassing and sad.

Maybe the girl in the OP named precisely these two authors because the other ones she reads are much less known? Maybe she actually loves Arno Schmidt and read Homer in ancient Greek? Of course the chances are low, but the problem is that people on here don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>7584757

I fully support this post.
>>
>>7576174
What a right fucking cunt you are.
>>
>>7584757
but my own empirical experience has evidenced to me that spending time reading is more valuable than spending time playing a video game; as such i have no qualms making value judgments about my own hobby versus that other hobby, and by extension, about the people who indulge in each.
>>
>>7584489
have you been living in virginity this whole time?
Thread posts: 217
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.