[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Post resources for learning how to write: style guides,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: -2.jpg (76KB, 520x826px) Image search: [Google]
-2.jpg
76KB, 520x826px
ITT:
Post resources for learning how to write: style guides, plot, editing, etc.
>>
http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
>>
>>7566739
The Seven Plots book is great
>>
I feel like I could write something in the style of 'the art of learning' by josh waitzkin.

I write for a living in journalism but when it comes to story telling I always have a hell of a time with proper story structure because when it's fiction. I lay out the story and I fill in blanks in my mind. Of course no one would be able to fill the mental gaps I leave. So my stories come out editing to fuck and losing sight of what I originally wanted them to be.

Are there any resources for getting over leaving gaps?

I'm taking a 6-month period of travel and all around self-improvement I would love to get over this in that time so I can better understand the craft.
>>
>>7566739
That book is cancer. It was written by pundits trying to pass off their opinions as facts. Don't read it. In fact, you should check how little your favorite authors stick to their guidelines.

>The Elements of Style does not deserve the enormous esteem in which it is held by American college graduates. Its advice ranges from limp platitudes to inconsistent nonsense. Its enormous influence has not improved American students' grasp of English grammar; it has significantly degraded it.

G. K. Pullum, an actual, eminent grammarian.

http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497

Some good books on style:

Kolln, M., Rhetorical Grammar
Leech and Short, 1981
Jasinski J., Sourcebook on Rhetoric
Biber et al. 1999., Sections D and E
Huddleston et al., 2002.
Quirk et al., 1986. Chs. 16-18
Leech and Svartvik, 1994
Crystal and Crystal, Words on Words. Ch. 8 (just for fun)
Merriam-Webster Style Guide
Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary
OED
Merriam Webster's Dictionary of Synonyms

Bad books on style:
Anything by Bryan Garner.
Anything by Fowler.
>>
anybody know any good books similar to this style on german grammar?
>>
Exercises in Style, Raymond Queneau
>>
>>7568180
listen to this man

strunk and white was significant in precipitating the decline of american intellectualism
>>
File: good_writing.png (44KB, 642x269px) Image search: [Google]
good_writing.png
44KB, 642x269px
>>7568967
Not that I particularly like Strunk and White, but I'd much rather modern academics followed their advice than how academics presently write.

Take a look at this tortured monstrosity of a sentence I recently came across--and this isn't even that bad by the standards of literary academia.
>>
>>7569525
what makes that article so confusing is its lack of punctuation, and that is the fault of the style guide/editor/proofreaders of the journal in which the author published it.

>>7568272
>good books
>similar to The Elements of Style

lmao.

I used A Gardt, J Knape & U Fix 2008 when I needed to do research into the history of stylistics in Germany, and it was really good. There were many chapters in the book that dealt with more practical things. You should check it out.
>>
File: fowlermodernenglish.jpg (28KB, 261x420px) Image search: [Google]
fowlermodernenglish.jpg
28KB, 261x420px
If you're going to learn to write, then learn to write properly.
>>
>>7569525
>tortured monstrosity
try fixing it anon
>>
If you write plays or screenplays or just want to make your narrative structure and characterizations more concise and essential I recommend Lajos Egri's The Art of Dramatic Writing
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.