[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ I am just bought Borges Collected Fictions. Which short

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

/lit/ I am just bought Borges Collected Fictions.

Which short stories are must reads besides The Library of Babel?
>>
>>7565696
why don't you read them all?
>>
File: images-1.jpg (13KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
13KB, 267x189px
>>7565700
I probably will unless I hate it. So far I've read Library and the first few stories. I only ask because I might dislike him and not want to continue reading his weaker stories.
>>
File: the-tatami-galaxy-fanart.jpg (1MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
the-tatami-galaxy-fanart.jpg
1MB, 1500x1500px
Tatami Galaxy is so good. The translator is ready here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6q5WiBsPEu4WmY2TU9OR2ZFbDQ/view

Also, read all the ficciones
>>
you will not"hate" him

only not understand him
>>
>>7566269
No

>>7566218
Oh nice, didn't know he finished

Seriously though, what are some of your favorite Borges short stories?
>>
>>7565696
Read all of them. The Aleph is my fave though
>>
>>7565696
The Aleph
The Zahir
The Circular Ruins
Pierre Menard, author of the Quixote
Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius
The South
But seriously, read all his stories, they're fucking amazing.
>>
>>7565696
All of them.

TODAS.

Funes, His Memory (Funes the Memorious) is great.

The Two Kings and the Two Labyrinths, goddamn!

Borges and I
Brodie’s Report
The Library of Babel

READ EVERYTHING!
I think that that books doesn't have the poems, but read them too
>>
File: 1324007198214.png (6KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
1324007198214.png
6KB, 284x284px
>>7566338
>Pierre Menard, author of the Quixote

Really? I just finished that one and it just felt like a slight against contemporary literary criticism. It didn't feel all that important or great.
>>
>>7565696
Tlon, Uqbar and Orbus Tertius, The Babylon Lottery, the Circular Ruins and Pierre Menard. Really, read them all though.
>>
>>7565696
Every single one of them, you little shit.
>>
You guys bought the books or downloaded it from #bookz?
>>
>there are people who don't think Shakespeare's memory is a top 3 borges story

Senpai onegai
>>
>>7565696
>Not just reading for yourself and figuring things out for yourself but deciding whether to put a book away based on what /lit/ thinks of some of the stories, not accounting for the imminent shitposts
The only true definition of a pleb. They're like six pages long or something, read!
>>
>>7566671
I didn't say any of that
>>
>>7565696
The Gospel according to Mark!
A Tired Man's Utopia!

Most are good. All of them readable.
>>
>>7566393
If you like both his poems and short-stories, but haven't read his essays, well, you're in for a treat.

I think his essays are his best work. Not the early ones though. But then, that's also true of his fictions and poems.
>>
What makes Borges so good? I can't put my finger on it.
>>
>>7566767
I find his prose beautiful and love most of his philosophy. I like the idea of Tlon - Uqbar - real world and the ending of the Circular Ruins. It's personal taste for his writing style and philosophy.
>>
>>7566767
I don't like his style (translation) but his content is very fun.

He can make mysterious universes with properties that are just plain spooky. They are like very subtle ghost stories. If you take that for what it is it is good, but I don't know what everyone else means by style, it seems very plain. He is constantly moving whatever detached plot he has from point A to B to C etc. Again though, he does it seamlessly so it isnt bad.
>>
>took an English course in freshman year
>Funes on the reading list
>didn't like it for some reason
>sold Ficciones for pennies
I'm sorry /lit/
>>
>>7566218
I seriously doubt the book is actually worth reading, just saying
>>
No one ITT recommended the two best Borges shorts, Tres versions de Judas and La escritura del Dios
>>
>>7567938
>versions
Buh. *versiones.
>>
>>7567938
Tres versiones de Judas didn't particularly stick out to me, La Escritura del Dios is my favourite story of his though.

I'm going to start El Informe de Brodie (the collection) tomorrow.
In hindsight I should've gotten his completed fictions, but it feels stupid to buy it now that I already own El Aleph, Ficciones and El Informe de Brodie.
>>
>>7565696
>>7566218
how good is the tatami book compared to the show? the show is god-tier, but i cant see the book being as good without Masaaki's touch.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.