[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does lit think about moby dick?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: download.jpg (6KB, 329x153px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 329x153px
What does lit think about moby dick?
>>
a tremendous work with incredible depth that rivals the very oceans that moby dick swam in
>>
>>6117590
I just started my /lit/ journey so take from it what you will.

I like it so far, yet he goes on rants about the most boring shit and it just becomes dense and a drag to read.

You'll probably get a thread full or replies how you should read for prose and how gr8 it is.

Not bad though
>>
File: 1419667551214.jpg (323KB, 1597x629px) Image search: [Google]
1419667551214.jpg
323KB, 1597x629px
>>6117609
Some of the best prose in the English language, but the depth of the work is just as important of a reason to read it. You probably won't get it without having read a lot of philosophy.
>>
For all of man's posturing and arrogance, there will always be a force greater than he. And if he has the audacity to spend his life in the dogged pursuit of understanding and, thus conquering, that force, he will die by it.
>>
>>6117619
I'm reading it alongside a study guide, what type of philosophy do you suggest I read?
>>
>>6117619
i want to know this, i read moby dick last month, and really loved it, is was such a masterpiece of lierature. even though i tried to be cautios to not miss anything, i fill i missed 70% of the meaning of the book, what types of philosophy does the book inquire?more deeply than the old arrogant captain ahab
>>
>>6117626
Plato, Hume, Kant and Hegel, as pictured, plus Heraclitus. There is also the Bible. Greek mythology is nice, but not strictly necessary. The rest of the mythos is created in story, which uses a mix of fiction and fact to create an almost supernatural world of whaling.
>>
>>6117640
German idealism is the underlying philosophy of the book, in fact it virtually is a work of German idealism except it's not German and presented in an unconventional way (Thus Spoke Zarathustra is another philosophical work presented very unconventionally. Ancient Greek theology and cosmology are also important elements in the book, such as the abyss that Moby Dick represents (the abyss is also very important for Nietzsche as as concept). The struggle between Ahab and Moby Dick is the struggle to graft meaning and division onto the abyss which is in fact the source of the meaning to begin with, but the abyss is terrifying, it is beyond human interpretation and control, it is noumena, and we can only cope with it by drowning ourselves in symbols and division. To be without symbols is to be without air in space, the abyss. The struggle between order and chaos (the Greek word for abyss) is a recurring theme in numerous cultures.
>>
Ahab doesn't even kill the whale. All his efforts are for NOTHING.
>>
>>6117701
i know hahahahaha dem end
>>
GOAT

I usually cringe at white dudes and idealism but Melville is something else

Way, way too ahead of his time
>>
>>6117590
Im already like an 8th of the way through it and its quite good. A little long but its worth it.
>>
>>6117793
its not really long tho, i lasted only one week to read it. it is rather really complex
>>
Greatest American novels after corncobby chronicles.
>>
>>6117811
novelist*
>>
more like moby shit

jk its pretty good not GOAT or even as good as the hype but pretty good.
>>
you won't get it without life experience
>>
File: moby dick.png (146KB, 297x281px) Image search: [Google]
moby dick.png
146KB, 297x281px
he didn't want to share a bed with the other fellow from the pub. what's so strange about that?

pic related
>>
File: 1317202079179.jpg (178KB, 764x744px) Image search: [Google]
1317202079179.jpg
178KB, 764x744px
>pleb, only read like 5 books before hand
>Most of it is well written but can drag on due to the non-plot chapters whalers are the shit and so is the color white
>Get to those last few chapters
Those last few chapters alone are better than most books.
>>
>>6117725
fuck off
>>
>>6117939
I read it at around ten and liked it. But you're right because

>implying you can live without acquiring life experience

a yound kid is already experienced enough to feel awe at the sublime.
>>
>>6117725
Twink
>>
>>6118194

why? did I bother you or something?
>>
>>6118290

I'm 6'2 with a tubesteak that would tear your udders bitchboy

bend over bb
>>
File: 1395020251001.jpg (122KB, 797x629px) Image search: [Google]
1395020251001.jpg
122KB, 797x629px
>mfw people say the book's about Ahab's impossible quest to fight nature
>>
>>6118329
>mfw this was taught in my English class.
>mfw no face
>>
>>6118304
Wow, I lost some IQ points reading that garbage. Now run along.
>>
>>6118355

you wish you could write like me sperglord
>>
>>6118329
but it is
>>
File: 1420833836936.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1420833836936.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>6117590
>What does lit think about moby dick?

A good read, it was like tremors, but with a leviathan and not a single cute chick.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.