[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was reality always as ridiculous and absurd as its today? Take

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: sarkesian.jpg (137KB, 313x448px) Image search: [Google]
sarkesian.jpg
137KB, 313x448px
Was reality always as ridiculous and absurd as its today?
Take a look at modern causes people are fighting for, or modern martyrs of western world (ie "victims" of "cyberbullying")
>>
>>5759883

Step away from the screens
>>
>>5759883
nope. these are all aberrations of modernity and hypercapitalism
>>
>Was reality always as ridiculous and absurd as its today?

From a practical point of view, probably not. Most people were peasants, with limited access to external news. Their world was all about planning and working from day to day to raise crops and livestock to feed their families, with most of what they needed covered by their own production rather than indirectly through wages. That's an extremely purposeful existence.
>>
>>5759887
>>5759887
No, u.

Its real life. For example yesterday ive seen succh situation: there was a grill trying to pass a door, then the guy behind her pushed her to get first through the door. When my m8 pointed out to him that it was a cuntish behaviour both grill and guy looked at him with disgust and explained that in fact this was an act of politeness because guy decided not-to-opress the grill and didnt let her pass first like all these disgusting patriarchal monsters of the past.

When my m8 tried to argue that it was rude nonetheless the guy called him a bigot.
>>
>>5759902
Opening doors for grills is stupid, they can't move.
>>
>>5759904
it wasnt opening, just letting pass through
>>
Yes, the Romans were just as scared bacchanal women would abduct their young men to the woods, raep them, and ritually sacrifice them, and everyone had just as many 'ideas' about it, including, "Why are we not doing that already?". It was a bit like the eighties.
>>
>>5759883
Yes, technology as further astrained our Being from it's place. Now people just endulge in thing, while thinking they are participating. Evidently they are not in any matter participating, because it's done under the calm enviroment of the highest civilization in the West. The true cause and true fight in todays world is ISIS and the geopolitics of Russia, Brazil and China.
>>
>>5759904
>they can't move.
Nah, I've seen gifs
>>
>>5759909
I cant help but to look at the most of the western ISIS recruits as frustrated virgins.
Its not really a cause, there are no real ideals behind it, just angry incoherent response to the problems of living in the West.
>>
>>5759883

um what is the Inquisition, witch burning, belief in demons, phlogiston, alchemy, divine right of kings, astrology, burning heretics, animal sacrifice, the belief that tomatoes were poisonous, phrenology, Alexander the Great thinking that he was the son of Zeus, the Crusades? Reality has always been ridiculous and absurd, sometimes even more so than today
>>
>>5759917
>the belief that tomatoes were poisonous
To be fair, if this ever happened, before tomatoes, we used pomegranates instead. Anything's going to taste like poison after that. I'm also thinking that pig and human slurry being used in tomato production occasionally causes outbreaks of hep and polio to this day, so there's that.
>>
>>5759917
You kinda have a point but
most of the history about Inqusition are made up.

Witch burning, belief in demons, different silly dogmas is a large part of our modern society.

I find ancient societies far more rational though, do you really think that romans believed August or Ceasar to become real god? It was all played on more symbolic level.
>>
>>5759917
But those things are part of culture and build the essence of history and it's institutions. Being angsty because of cyberbullying will be seen as a mental problem of late urbanization, an insignificancy.
>>
>>5759924
also inquisition, crusades were imo product of geopolitics, there is nothing absurd in these, they made a lot of sense.
>>
Kali Yuga
>>
>>5759960
julius ebola pls
>>
>>5759931
>nothing absurd
Besides the leaving the gate open. And the Puckle gun lack of rifling for when shooting at the enemy... Neither of those I wouldn't expect not to happen now.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsQrKZcYtqg
>>
>>5759971
this happens, but it was history on the making. It was action that was giving a sense to it.
Maybe this is passivity of modern society that makes this absurd aspect more visible
>>
>>5759979
I'm not disagreeing about the various reasonings behind the different crusades and inquisitions weren't more motivated by what we'd consider geopolitics now. I'm just saying that human error is always going to create a minimum of absurdity.
>Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.
>>
>>5759924
>do you really think that romans believed August or Ceasar to become real god?

Yes. Not necessarily Augustus himself, which is irrelevant.

These were people who made major decisions of state based on the behaviours of birds. They routinely attributed the mundane to the supernatural. It's almost impossible to overstate the role in ancient societies of what we call superstition today.
>>
lel le life is so absurd xD
>>
>>5759979
>it was history on the making
>>5759931
>product of geopolitics, there is nothing absurd
>>5759927
>part of culture and build the essence of history

Why don't you talk around the point some more? There's still some small danger of you saying something relevant, we can't risk it.
>>
File: 1416124689804.jpg (525KB, 1280x830px) Image search: [Google]
1416124689804.jpg
525KB, 1280x830px
>>5759883
Yeah, I don't get that whole gamergate nonsense, either. Then again, remeber the time all the europeans started murdering each other in unprecented numbers because that one dude shot that other dude?
>>
the reason things are absurd is because some things you think are true are literally inventions of people with many resources. i.e. the islamic state. it's a hoax.
>>
>>5760124
>>
>>5759914
>Its not really a cause
Islam and the state are both causes that plenty of people believe in strongly. I don't see how you can say they lack a cause.
>there are no real ideals behind it
Nihilism, Islam, and anti-imperialism are all real ideals that people have very obviously gotten behind.
>just angry incoherent response to the problems of living in the West.
Angry, yes. Incoherent, no. The US fucked the hornet's nest; now the hornets are stinging its economic penis. They have goals and such that are apparent if you think about it for any amount of time at all.
>>
>>5759924

considering the comet which appeared shortly after caesar's death i don't see why not

not sure about august, but why not too, at least some? even though pagan religion was on its decline, you are not surprised that people think that, say, joan of arc was a saint, why you should be surprised that august was thought to be one of minor gods, which is kind of the same

the ideas of their philosophers weren't what the most of people believed, it's kind of funny to read in 'metamorphoses' how ovid describes the teachings of pythagoras who was strongly against animal sacrifices, praises him as a wise man, and shortly after mentions animal sacrifices again

actually socrates was condemned to death for questioning religion
>>
>>5759924
Why is that hard to believe?
>It was all played on more symbolic level.
So what? Symbolism is everything. Just because something is symbolic, it doesn't follow that people don't believe it.
>>
>Was reality always as ridiculous and absurd as its today?
>Take a look at modern causes people are fighting for

Are you kidding? Take a look at the ridiculous and absurd causes people used to fight for: enchantresses, black magic, werewolves, magical belts from the devil...

This date in history:

>Sat, 22 November 1508:
A group of men in black dresses pulled Florentine out of her house by her ankles in village on the outskirts of Nice, France. They claimed she had given her husband enchanted bread. They cut off her hands, submerged her in the lake until she drowned. The fact that she had drowned proved to the men in dresses that the bread wasn't enchanted by Florentine, so they drowned 18 other women from the village, before they began to worry. Somehow they concluded that the enchantress was a 7 year old girl, and they tied her to a stake, set fire to her, and urinated on the charred corpse.

>Sat, 22 November 1589:
The trial of Peter Stummp began. He was accused of practicing black magic, communicating with the Devil, and of possessing the ability to change into a wolf. Being threatened with torture by the church, he confessed to killing and eating fourteen children, two pregnant women, whose fetuses he ripped from their wombs and "ate their hearts panting hot and raw,"

He confessed to having practiced black magic since he was twelve years old. He claimed that the Devil had given him a magical belt or girdle, which enabled him to metamorphose into "the likeness of a greedy, devouring wolf, strong and mighty."

After being convicted, he was put to a wheel, where "flesh was torn from his body", in ten places, with red-hot pincers, followed by his arms and legs. Then his limbs were broken with the blunt side of an axehead to prevent him from returning from the grave, before he was beheaded and burned on a pyre. His daughter and mistress had already been flayed and strangled and was burned along with Stumpp's body. As a warning against similar behavior, the church erected a pole with the torture wheel and the figure of a wolf on it, and at the very top they placed Peter Stumpp's severed head.
>>
>>5760208
Bah, those are barely absurd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_Frenchmen_of_Maine
>>
File: 1416176104991.png (2MB, 1386x4653px) Image search: [Google]
1416176104991.png
2MB, 1386x4653px
>>5760084
>M-MUH DARK AGES
>>
>>5760251
>here is a popular misconception, allow me to attribute it to you

"No."
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVC0FcSRxL8

This answers your question OP :)
>>
>>5759883
If you don't read Twitter, you don't even run into the modern surreal very much. Twitter is awful, and its growth in use in my demographic is disturbing.

The real world is just people being people, you need to step away from the screen
>>
>>5759888
>answer by the 2nd post

Aaand that's a wrap.
>>
>>5760377
>le born in le wrong generation
>le everything is constantly getting worse

I refuse to believe you're an actual person. Show me your thumbs.
>>
>>5759883
I would say society became more complex and our numbers grew ridiculously high, so there is much more absurdity now. Don't forget to drink no more than one glass of wine a day, call the police when someone curses at you, and waste your life away with playing war on a computer.
>>
>>5759883

My uneducated and half-assed answer is: yes.

I think that society treats males as disposable shit and that there are many beta males willing to give even ugly feminists attention. Also, in a non-fiction book that I read (unrelated to any of this stuff), the author mentioned being in Harvard in the late 80s / early 90s (can't remember) and he mentioned feminism / political correctness being a big thing. He even mentioned something that sounded like a more exaggerated "yes means yes".

My opinion is that the values of society are taking some time to fully diffuse in to the internet but we'll reach a plateau.

Think about it, what's more absurd: Political correctness now, or millions of males willingly signing up for pointless wars 100 years ago?
>>
>>5760110
who is this by?
>>
Just look at the causes people used to fight for, and the Middle East still does.
>>
>>5760110

i think he means absurd as in "why are we even getting upset about things like this" not "wow things are worse than they have ever been"

my edgy dude
>>
We're more intense now, probably.
>>
>>5760251
TL;DR

hes just saying nobody understands for the entire first column

does he actually say anything interesting or worth reading at all in this entire post?
>>
>>5760483
Japan is the most intense place in the world.
>>
>>5760488
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.