[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 39

File: IMG_1975.png (1014KB, 3736x2449px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1975.png
1014KB, 3736x2449px
Over-Preparation Edition

>Discord
https://discordapp.com/invite/ZJPxxTj

>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

>http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml
US Army High school to Flight school

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

>Should I go Navy Enlisted Nuke???
No.
http://i.imgur.com/FZ0Q9q4.png
tl;dr: Long hard school, to do shitty work, and the job prospects are a lie.

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
File: 1504451835445.png (787KB, 900x733px) Image search: [Google]
1504451835445.png
787KB, 900x733px
Im at meps waiting to swear in.
>>
>>35076581
What branch/MOS?
>>
>>35076591
Marines.. no MOS yet, i'm delayed entry or something.

3451 is my ideal mos, if not than then 2673(not sure... just would be fun) or an infantry mos for my first few whatevers and then id hop to 3441 with a cpa certificate or something.

4611 will be on option in a few years since I draw, and ill do that instead of auditor if im getting railed.
>>
Chest Puller > General Patton
>>
A week or two ago, some anon said that if you went 68W with option 4 or option 40, you would be set for your military career. I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on that?
>>
Is 23 years old too old to start college/AFROTC and have any hope for an aviation slot?
>>
>>35076888
Yeah it was some retard rambling. You could do any MOS and be "set" for your "military career".
>>
Shipping to BCT at exactly my max weight; when do I get weighed and when does it matter? Just at MEPS before the hotel the night before ship?
>>
>>35077304
you should focus on getting a few pounds below your max. you never know when someones scale is going to be off. not sure on exact answer to your question, but i do remember stepping on scales multiple times throughout my first year.
>>
Would it be a mistake to enlist with a college degree? I want to be trained for a career after my term, I have no leadership experience and have no desire to work as a middle manager and other than pay and bennies I don't see much advantage to be gained by killing myself to get to/through OCS unless I wanted to go career.

What do you anons think?
>>
The Marines seem like the branch that highschool jocks would join. Is that true? What about the officers? Please no meme answers
>>
>>35077375
>Would it be a mistake to be treated like expendable dirt and get paid in dimes and nickels when I could be treated better and get paid much more and use my experience as a leader later in life to skip middle management positions and leap into upper management instead of being back at square one?
>>
>>35077387
>other than pay and bennies
I'm well aware officers are treated and paid better. It's not as easy as walking into a recruiter and signing up because of muh degree. Every OCS is extremely competitive, you need near perfect pft scores a killer resume and high grades to even be considered, let alone make a board and be accepted.
>>
>>35077376
Somewhat true considering Marines must be the most physically fit branch which tends to keep non-jocks away. The culture is also very much like a highschool football team: us vs them, not the brightest but the hardest working, get shit done, etc.

People will fawn over you when you say "I was a Marine" because the Marines really are a special group, the best of the 5 branches in terms of military attitude. Coast Guard are like ocean cops. Army is soldier stuff made from the average joe. Navy are sailors made from the average joe. But the Marines are a different breed, like a pedigree fighting dog.

If you want the full hardcore military experience look no further than the Marines. You will be let down by the other branches.
>>
>>35077375
Yeah, unless it's Intelligence you plan on joining.
>>
>>35077427
I had a PFT OF 220, 3.1 GPA in a social science (hadn't even graduated yet), and only three references (a colonel, LTC, and an E-9 from the air force lol). I got an interview 5 months after starting my packet and passed with perfect scores. I don't think it's as hard as you think, or maybe I'm just charismatic or some shit.
>>
>>35077427
You don't need perfect PFT, you need at least Good-Low PFT for your branch which should be easily attainable with a few months of training. Your resume should have basic things like "has had a job for the last few years" and "has done community service" or "has had leadership positions". Grades depend on what you're looking to do but anything above 3.0 is good and 3.0 is a B average which is easy as shit to obtain.

Your degree may or may not matter. Call your local officer recruiter and ask. He would know.
>>
>>35077444
what branch? how long ago? I've talked to the marine oso but I've heard the same about the army and navy
>>
Shipping out to Fort Benning September 12th for Infantry OSUT, my concern is I got stitches taken out 3 weeks ago on my chin. Got them when I split my chin playing Rugby, no concussion or accident report. The scar is still a little pink but it's healing nicely. Will I get hassled at medical before shipping out? What I remember from MEPS is there being people with shippers packets doing all the same things but expedited. Should I expect the same physical or no?
>>
Why do the Marines care so fucking much about getting perfect PFT? Three 6 minute miles and 20 pullups are great and all but nobody needs to be that good unless they are infantry which is a small percentage.
>>
Hoping to get accepted into Marine Corps OCS

What jobs in the marine corps sends you to the best bases/base locations? This prior-enlisted at my gym spent the whole time in Okinawa doing stuff HR-related work. Another friend who was a truck driver went to Bahrain and was bored to tears. And then I hear 03xx for the most part will spend a lot of time in 29 palms. What job's should I do if I went to go to Hawaii, DC, Austalia, etc? Will working logistics or supplies help land me in Diego Garcia?
>>
Hey /meg/ I'm currently waiting on the next board for SNA in the Navy. Quick question: I never had my PFT tested but everywhere I look at older military talk websites concerning review boards I keep seeing "...they will look at your PFT scores...".

What gives? Did they drop that portion of the review board? Did my recruiter goof and send in my packet without a PFT?
>>
>>35077427
What you read online about the competitiveness of OCS isn't really true. I read for the marines you need at least a 285 PFT to be a competitive candidate with any chance of getting in--that's BS. Here in South Florida, at least, the OSO says all candidates get in by their second time applying. She has had applicants get in and commission with an initial PFT in the low 250's which is the bare minimum for a grade A pft score. People also say you need LOR's from officers--another load of BS. Anyone who was above you like a professor, boss, or coach is perfectly fine. And like that one anon said it really helps to have leadership experience. You don't have to be a team captain or class president. It can be something bullshit like being on the executive board of an irrelevant club at your school.
>>
If I applied to two branches at once would the recruiters get pissed off and reject me?
>>
>>35077506
18 minutes for 3 miles should be achievable for any fit male. I have a 20 minute 5k and I'm in my 70s.
>>
I'm >>35077444

>>35077457
I didn't even have a resume, no work or leadership experience and got an 09S contract no problem.
>>35077460
Army, I hear it's even easier for navy and air force.
>>
>>35077468
No. Just disregard it. As long as it's not open you're fine.
>>
>>35077460
Oh and I got my recommendation a few weeks ago.
>>
>>35077582
Will do. Thank you.
>>
>>35077509
If you are hoping to do Marine OCS don't worry about any of this stuff since you'll have no control over your job or career. You literally need to be top of your class in TBS to get anything you want. It's a source of "pride" for them to be Marines first and potato peelers second, or whatever you end up doing as a lieutenant.

>>35077552
Those things online aren't true it just changes constantly. In 2013 during the federal sequester you had to be 300 from Ivy League to be highly competitive because they weren't letting anybody in. It's only so easy to get in right now because Trump won.
>>
>>35077699
mean to stay not false*
>>
>>35077506
Those are force recon reqs, not marines
>>
>>35077699
What if you go to Marine OCS for something specific like Naval Aviator and not just "Infantry"
>>
>>35077573
>18 minutes for 3 miles should be achievable for any fit male.
That's 3 6 minute miles. Not one 6 minute mile, THREE equally six minute miles. That's something college track athletes aspire to do.
>I have a 20 minute 5k and I'm in my 70s.
Post your wrinkly sagging ballsack or you're a liar
>>
http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/rtb/content/PDF/Ranger%20School%20Prep%201%202.pdf

skip to page 11- 90 day workout
want to be a ranger
is this an okay workout plan?
>>
>>35076965
Bump for This
>>
>>35077888
Marine OCS has ground, air and law contracts. That's as much control as you'll have
>>
>>35078079
So if I went "Air" I would still be guaranteed to fly something assuming all things go according to plan?
>>
>>35078093
Pretty much, just be forewarned a lot of air guys get to Quantico and drop because they just wanted to fly. Going Marines is a lot of extra shit you need to deal with, especially during training. You have to do infantry shit like rucking and you'll never do it again in your career.
>>
File: 1409368755429.jpg (77KB, 800x750px) Image search: [Google]
1409368755429.jpg
77KB, 800x750px
Going to meps tomorrow few quick questions. Infantry or combat engineer?? And I want to ship oute as soon as possible am I able to request to leave on a short notice
>>
>>35078147
>and you'll never do it again in your career
But what if you become a FAC during your "out of cockpit" tour? I hear about this a lot from Marines and Navy guys, sometimes bitching sometimes not, but the idea is that to give you a better understanding of what the whole service does the Navy or Marines stick you in a job that may or may not be related to flying. Navy guys call it a disassociated sea tour and it may not be aviation related at all. Marines may be a Forward Air Controller, which from what I've read is basically an Infantry officer who was a pilot who coordinates air assets to help infantry Marines and in doing so gets a better picture of the purposes of ground and air working in tandem.

The idea supposedly behind both of these is that they can allow you to be a better squadron CO because you have to deal with non-aviation stuff too.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>35078274

Not him, but,

>FAC

Someone's not American. We call them JTACs, and the Air Force mostly trains them. The Navy/Marines have a few, but they poach them out of other pipelines from Commissioned Officers poached out of flying Aircraft and SNCOs in different fields. Predictably this group of Naval JTACs is very small.

The Navy doesn't like to depend on the Air Force and loathe that they still require USAF JTACs to do air-to-ground in spite of their best efforts.
>>
>>35078262
You can only ship when there are spots available but you'll get to choose from what's there. It's possible that one MOS is a 3 month wait but another can ship next week.
>>
>>35078147
Do pilots learn basics infantry skills or they just have to qualify on their firearm?
>>
>>35078330
I don't know really, all I'm saying is Marine air contracts have to go through the same OCS as everybody else, which is mostly infantry leadership down to the NCO level. It doesn't make a lot of fucking sense but that's the way it's done.

Given the somewhat high attrition (40 to 60 percent), it may not be the wisest choice for somebody who wants to just be a pilot. Heavily consider the risk-reward.
>>
>>35078262
You know infantry=janitor right?
>>
>>35078308
I'm American, I just thought it was called forward air controller (FAC). So what you're saying is that the Air Force runs the JTAC (FAC) show and Marines/Navy are a very small and reluctant part of it?

>>35078364
So what you're saying is that training yourself for infantry shit that you never will do you may actually DQ yourself from doing the pilot shit that you wanted to do?
>>
>>35078411
>So what you're saying is that training yourself for infantry shit that you never will do you may actually DQ yourself from doing the pilot shit that you wanted to do?

Pretty much. Marine first, pilot second. The Sergeant Instructors will not care that you have an air contract.
>>
>>35077573
>I have a 20 minute 5k and I'm in my 70s
I'm a cross country runner and do tons of road races in my city. I've never in my life, out of the hundreds of races I've done, ever seen someone aged 60+ run a 20 minute 5k.

Maybe you meant to type a different age but I call BS on on a 70 year old running a 20
>>
Which 35 series mos in the army will get me the the most comfy high paying contractor job when I get out?
>>
>>35078411

FAC is the NATO designation, hence why I thought you were non-yank.

Air Force has the overwhelming majority of JTAC qualified personnel, while the Navy and Marines have a few but nowhere near enough, and their strategic commands hate asking for Air Force resources but must.
>>
I'm 33, what can i join?
>>
>>35077904
>That's something college track athletes aspire to do.
This completely 100% wrong. 3 6 minute miles arent hard at all wtf are you talking about dude? Top level runners run 5k in 20 mins.
>>
>>35077904

5k in 20 minutes is an adequate club running pace. It's not particularly noteworthy. It certainly is not something that a college athlete would run.
>>
>>35079639
A retirement home
>>
>>35079387
Ah I see. I was reading through old posts on AirWarriors and it seemed like if you were a Marine Aviator your best choice of your required non-flight tour would be JTAC. Naval Aviators seemed to get the short end of the stick on that non-flight tour.
>>
>>35079009

35Q, T, and S. Also N/G/F/P depending on experience.

Although if you're going 35Q you might as well go 17C.
>>
>>35077904
The fuck are you talking about? Top college track runners can break 14 minutes in the 5k. The average D1 athlete can easily run 15:30 for a 5k. Just because you're a fat ass doesn't mean it's impossible for anyone else.
>>
>>35080229
>The average D1 athlete
I meant average D1 runner
>>
>>35079009
35q

but its the same as ctn in navy, and ive heard navys going to be better qol. Train at same base, all the army guys are way more limited on liberty compared to navy. they cant even drink alcohol at any time here regardless of age and seniority
>>
Are the only upsides to the MUHreens only the prestige and good looking uniforms?
I think the prestige factor matters alot to my autism and to my family but I don't know if it's enough to counter balance the negatives
I'm okay with using shittier equipment and getting screamed at a lot
>>
>>35080456

You have to remember that memerine "prestige" only matters to retards. That is to say, the only people who think they're cool are those who don't know any better. It doesn't get you any brownie points with people in the military, actual veterans, or anyone that actually knows what the military does.

So you're basically trying to impress people you could just lie to and they wouldn't even know.
>>
>>35078330
Anyone have info on this?
>>
>>35078330
>>35080608

Pilots get the basics, plus SERE and survival training in case they end up on the ground behind enemy lines. It's more than office workers get, but it's still not really infantry training.
>>
>>35080229
Let's get real here faggot. Most people in the MILITARY couldn't run three 6 minute miles. For some reason the Marines just like to pretend that they are also a running club.
>>
I get this nagging feeling that no matter the branch I join to be an officer, that if I don't join the Marines I'm not joining the best. That every time I see or hear something regarding Marines I'll have a slight twinge in my heart knowing I should have gone Marines.

Have I drank the koolaid?
>>
>>35081032
Why dont you just be an army ranger then?
>>
Anyone here have experience with the ASTB?
>>
>>35081091
Yep. What is your question?
>>
File: 1346109341678.jpg (49KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1346109341678.jpg
49KB, 500x375px
What are the odds of earning a commission in each branch with a non-STEM degree (but a high GPA?)

Asking for a friend.
>>
>>35081113
>in each branch

And by that I mean: probability of earning one in the Air Force, Navy, Army, and Marine Corps respectively.
>>
>>35081032

Marines are objectively the worst branch at pretty much everything. Pretty much any thing you can think of that Marines do are done better by another branch.
>>
>>35081095
Have any idea about the trait facet portion? Seems obtuse to me.

Also, how was the throttle/joystick portion?
>>
>>35080963
Sure, but that doesn't make your statement about college runners even remotely accurate. 18 minutes for a 3 mile is extremely achievable. There were high school girls when I was in high school who could run sub-18 in the 5k, but didn't even win state.

/meg/ really likes to talk out of their ass when it comes to running, and what times are achievable for the average person. I remember a few months back a guy said that a 6:30 mile is something that D1 track runners have a hard time running, which is so untrue, for both men and women, it's laughable. If you're doing quality runs almost every day for weeks, you'd be surprised at how fast you can run.
>>
>>35081032

The Marines do one thing and only one thing well, and that is churning out a basic infantry combatant who stands head and shoulders above even the Army's basic infantry combatant. That along with having reconnaissance elements integrated all the way down to the platoon level (scout snipers). That's it. Everything else that they do is sub-standard. Period. That's all that they do well and all that they care about.

If you actually believe what you are espousing then you have embraced the PR campaign of the Marines.
>>
>>35081218
>trait facet portion? Seems obtuse to me.
That's a light way of putting it. Just answer honestly man. The whole section is a real cluster. I decided to pick answers that made me look more confident and a team-player, at least when I could.

>throttle/joystick portion?
Really annoying because of how "laggy" the controls are. There's a decent sized dead zone of movement too. The tests themselves are all about focusing on instructions. Write down your emergency procedures.
>>
>>35081253

>basic infantry combatant who stands head and shoulders above even the Army's basic infantry combatant.

Your daily reminder that Army infantry receive more individual training, better access to specialty schools, more support, and better equipment than Marine infantry. Additionally, the country's greater reliance on Army units ensures that they maintain a much more experienced NCO corps and institutional memory. On both organizational and individual levels, the Army remains more active and seasoned.

Marine infantry being better is a meme, plain and simple.
>>
>>35081339

>more individual training

Shorter basic, shorter infantry school.

>better access to specialty schools

A few go to airborne school and call everyone else "leg"for the rest of their service.

Meanwhile all infantry Marines have a 1/14 chance of going to scout sniper school.

>more support

Well duh, Marine support is spat upon.

>better equipment

Eh.

>more experienced NCO corp

Probably, the Marines bleed personnel.

>Marine infantry being better is a meme

I've talked to people who have worked with both. Army infantry are those 18-22 year olds who are... lacking in other merits so the Army sticks them into the infantry. Marine infantry are 18-22 year olds who are excited about the idea of killing people who are jumping at the bit to do it. Different shit.
>>
>>35081339
But the Marines are more badass and more fit. Marines are like trained killers where the Army is just John Doe trained to kill. One Marine could easily beat five Army soldiers.
>>
>>35081392

>Shorter basic, shorter infantry school.

This is due to the Army's focus on unit-level training. Army units have more funds, more equipment, and more specific specialties, so the focus is less on an extended OSUT and more on getting soldiers to their units ASAP so they can receive advanced training.

> Army infantry are those 18-22 year olds who are... lacking in other merits so the Army sticks them into the infantry.

Infantry is far from the least attractive job in the Army. Those with no other merits usually end up as cooks or laundry specialists.
>>
File: 1424057454919.gif (89KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1424057454919.gif
89KB, 600x450px
>>35081395
>>
File: 1504584606119.jpg (106KB, 639x620px) Image search: [Google]
1504584606119.jpg
106KB, 639x620px
>>35081395
MUH
>>
>>35081433

>unit-level training

Military is always training when they aren't tdy or deployed. That goes for all branches.

>>35081518
>>35081542

>they cant read sarcasm
>>
>>35081291
Seems sensible. How much do references matter to the board?
>>
I have a problem. i plan on joining either the Army as a 15W or the Navy as an MM, GM, or FC, but my Navy recruiter seems deadset on getting me to join the Nuclear Power program. what should I do?
>>
>>35081657

Just say you don't want to be a nuke. They can't make you sign for it.
>>
>>35081609
I have no idea man. I've read that the Navy looks more at the "whole person" whereas the Marines really like a high PFT and you can actually slide by with subpar ASTB scores.

Personally, I tried maxing out my letters of recommendation.
>2 professors, both heads of my Major and Minor departments
>an E-9
>an O-5
>an O-7
>two of my state reps
>>
>>35081657
just say no to nuke, its shit anyways they work absurd hrs and its not even that interesting of a job i hear.

look into CT rates they are best in the navy
>>
>>35081726
*Forgot
>my boss at school security who was an LEO for years
I like to be thorough
>>
discord is shit. stop using discord, you fucking norms
>>
>>35081566
>can't read sarcasm
Just playing along brah
>>
>>35081726
My plan for letters is the same. No such thing as too many, so may as well go all out. Have you heard back or did you just go before the last board?
>>
How can I best prepare for Army infantry, and (hopefully) Ranger School? should I buy a surplus rucksack and go on weekly rucks?
>>
>>35082027

Only practice rucking if you're already near maxing the APFT. People tend to fuck up their knees being idiots while practicing for rucks before they join. A 300 APFT score when you arrive at OSUT will carry you much, much farther than having a little rucking experience.

If you're struggling with any part of the APFT, or you're overweight, your energy would be much better spent there.
>>
>>35077304
If you're not a fat fuck you'll be fine. I shipped 15 pounds over max, but lean, they'll tape you if you're over.

Otherwise if you are a chubster, do your best to get the squirts, or grab some laxatives. They do a med inspect first thing in the morning at MEPS, you strip, get measured, then do a twirl for the doctor.
>>
File: IMG_20170711_122857.jpg (189KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170711_122857.jpg
189KB, 720x960px
some pointers
-just stay at home senpai
-don't enlist, commission.
-don't do combat jobs or you'll be sitting in the mud for 4 hours staring at nothing

>pic related
>>
>>35077436
The koolaid is strong
>>
>>35077436

>a pedigree fighting dog

That's SOF. One of the hallmarks of all of the SOF people I've met is that they give zero fucks about being SOF because they don't have shit to prove. They don't have to tell you how badass they are because they know it deep down, which is how you know the real deal.
>>
>>35081933
Smart move. I reasoned it's the only thing that's completely a "who you know" rather than "what you know" so I wanted it to be outstanding.

I would have gone into the last pilot board but medical waivers held me up. I'm waiting on the next one whenever Big Navy decides it is. I called my OR today to see if he knew but haven't heard back from him yet.
>>
>>35082156
What do you need waivers for?

I'm getting LASIK this winter, but from what I understand the waiver isn't hard to get.
>>
>>35082147
This does not apply to SEALs. SEALs are some of the proudest and loudest SOF out there. Like fratboy cowboys with a really long leash according to everyone I've talked to who has interacted with them.
>>
>>35082191

The ones who boast the loudest are usually the weakest of the litter.
>>
File: IMG_20170717_233801.jpg (380KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170717_233801.jpg
380KB, 720x960px
>>35082173

Get PRK, less likely of getting enlistment kicked back/denied.

Also, as long as you're 21 Tricare cover's it. I waited till I got in.
>>
>>35082173
For a skin condition I thought I had as a kid but didn't have (don't accidentally make up a disease you may have had in an attempt to be thorough, lesson 1. Lesson 2, if it didn't occur in the last three years and you never were in a hospital then it never happened) and for a minor shoulder injury I had injury two years ago.

LASIK should be fine it's been readily waiverable for over half a decade now, you're good man.
>>
>>35082256
Roger that.

The general take-away I've gotten when it comes to Navy medical is "deny everything, admit nothing, and make counter-accusations." No NAMI whammy for me.
>>
>>35076965
Bump for this
>>
>>35082106
>in mud for hours
>not going for pilot
kek
>>
>>35082233
>Also, as long as you're 21 Tricare cover's it. I waited till I got in.

My vision, as of this moment, is below the Navy's standard for aviator applicants, so that isn't an option, unfortunately.

Custom lasik (there's a fancy medical name I don't remember) has better recovery and better post op vision that any other type of surgery, so that's what I was planning on.
>>
>>35082297
You've got it dude. Fuck I am dreading that NAMI Whammy with the depth perception test at OCS. My eyes are 17/20 and 20/20 acuity but that depth perception test had me double guessing myself more times than I care to admit. Somehow I got the max score on it too. Fuck those stupid circles.

My folks even trained me for the shoulder overview at MEPS. They'd randomly say "how's your shoulder?" to which any reply but "perfectly fine" would result in a punch. The 0-5 I mentioned lamented the fact that I hadn't talked to him about Navy medical before I went to my recruiter and did the pre-MEPS medical paperwork.
>>
>>35077375
Among other issues that you have likely already read, the biggest problem that enlisted with college education have is being around kids that are at least 4 years younger than them. These are the kids that were freshmen when you were a senior in highschool, and I'm sure you remember how retarded and childish they seemed to you, right? Well now you have to work with them, and you're one of the only seniors in an entire school full of freshmen. Going enlisted with a college education is quite possibly worse than getting a minimum wage job as a college graduate, because at least in the civilian world you can keep applying for new jobs while you work the shitty one. You sign that paper, Uncle Sam owns your ass and that's that

Don't do it bro, you will literally want to kill yourself, and every single day you will crave the sweet release of a 55 grain painkiller
>>
>>35077974
that's for Ranger School, not RASP. It's still a good program.
>>
>>35082404
>My folks even trained me for the shoulder overview at MEPS. They'd randomly say "how's your shoulder?" to which any reply but "perfectly fine" would result in a punch.

That's fucking awesome.

Both my parents were Navy, my dad an aviator and my mom a doctor, so they prepared me pretty well for the medical BS.

I'm worried about the eye tests, too. The dilated eye exam has me most worried because there're some scars on my retina from God only knows what, and the waiver guide doesn't say anything about that, specifically.
>>
>>35082488
Yea it was real sweet of them. Sure as shit the doc asked me that exact answer and out of nowhere whipped out a "perfectly fine" and slapped her across the face with it.

That's pretty nice dude. What did your dad fly?

>The dilated eye exam has me most worried because there're some scars on my retina from God only knows what, and the waiver guide doesn't say anything about that, specifically.
If I were you I wouldn't say jack squat about it, but you already knew that.
>>
File: dadVF51.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
dadVF51.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>35082580
>That's pretty nice dude. What did your dad fly?
Started out in A-4s, then Tomcats. Got his wings in like '74.

Pic related, I think this was taken when he was in the Philippines.

>If I were you I wouldn't say jack squat about it, but you already knew that.

Yeah. It could be something called CHRPE, which is in the waiver guide and isn't a problem, but my ophthalmologist didn't offer a definite diagnosis.
>>
>>35082623
That's fucking awesome. He even looks like Goose. You were born for this.

>no definite diagnosis
You don't have it then.
>>
File: 1496466656249.gif (408KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1496466656249.gif
408KB, 250x250px
>marine recruiter told me i might be discharged for requesting a switch to active duty from reserves while in DEP

Is this motherfucker serious? They fucking rush me through meps and tell me everything is unavaiable and that I can choose my mos after meps then go and pull this? Are they fucking with me?
>>
>>35082732
How old are you? They might be trying to get rid of you. The marines do that shit all the time
>>
>>35082732
"I thought you wanted to be a MARINE. Guess you just weren't committed, huh?"
>>
File: you can be my wingman anytime.gif (435KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
you can be my wingman anytime.gif
435KB, 500x211px
>>35082651
Thanks, anon!

Just 16 more months of college and then I can be off to OCS.

I look forward to seeing you in the fleet, man!
>>
>>35082732
>>35081542
>>
>>35076452
just a heads up to you autists, if you have any mental issues such as anxiety and adhd that you havent dealt with then dont go.
deal with your shit here otherwise you will have a very bad time
>>
>>35082753
I'm 24. I got an 86 on the asvab, I can pass the PFT.

Here's the kicker. It was their own fucking guys that told me infantry wasnt for me after I got an 86 on the asvab. "You could have any job you want! The fucking GSGT that gave me a ride, the guys at stage 2. "You got an 86 and you're going reserves? You're going in as 0311? *chortles*" "Why not active duty."

How about fuck you
>>
>>35082651
Though I do have one other question to ask of you: I play rugby at my school, but I'm not sure if I should stick with it given the risks of injury. What do you think?
>>
>>35082800
There's probably background shit going on between them and they've decided you aren't worth it. None of them are man enough to tell you or drop you so they're going to treat you like shit or ghost you until you pick something else.
>>
>>35082816
>>35082800
and by pick something else i mean request to drop.
>>
>>35082760
You're welcome man. Enjoy those last few years. You'll really miss the friends you hang with daily once you've all gone your seperate ways.

Same here dude! Look out for a tall guy with a long face and a short last name starting with G. That's me.
>>
>>35082807
I played rugby my first two years in college. I hurt my shoulder (not the same injury) performing a really shitty tackle but that was all. I'd worry about shoulder injuries and repeated ankle sprains weakening your ankles. Rugby is known for that. Better than concussions though.
>>
>>35082785
In what way could it give you a bad time? For anxiety what if is just the meme type= kind of shy rather than actual anxiety
>>
>>35082888
hes just being a fucking idiot and talking shit
>>
>>35082059
ok, thanks for the help
>>
>>35082851
>>35082887

I'm stocky, and my last name starts with N and rhymes with pants.

My biggest concern is concussions, actually. I had a pretty bad one over the summer after a bike wreck, and I certainly don't need another. It feels like I've lost the confidence to play well, I guess.
>>
>>35083051
I'll keep an eye peeled for ya.

If you feel unconfident in your playing ability it may actually lead to more injuries according to a sports studies/physiology major friend that I had. You really don't want more concussions, that's something they ask you about too. It's up to you though.
>>
>>35083199

>If you feel unconfident in your playing ability it may actually lead to more injuries according to a sports studies/physiology major friend that I had.

Doesn't really surprise me. I've already got two years of playing under my belt, I think that's probably enough.
>>
>>35077529
From my understanding only the Marines test PFT scores for OCS applications, not the Navy. I am sending my package to the board for SNA in October, and my OSO hasn't tested my PFT scores or mentioned testing them.

If this is inaccurate anyone feel free to correct me.
>>
>>35081392
Chomping at the bit
>>
>>35081091
Check out Airwarriors, they have a bunch of study guides and a ton of gouge on the ASTB. Check the main thread and use the study techniques/materials of people who scored highly on the test.
>>
>>35076581

Recr says 3451 is ezpz to get. Yay. I ship in 3 months.
>>
>>35082785
>here a meps employee can be seen typing in his sleep.
>>
>>35083719
That sounds right considering Marines use PFT as a large part of the selection process
>>
>>35083895
kek. My MEPS was pretty cool. Nice people although the doctors were humorless emotionless women.
>>
>>35078408
Whyyy do they shit on infantry so much. Didnt it used ti be the mans branch of top inportance?
>>
File: cwt2015.jpg (123KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
cwt2015.jpg
123KB, 720x960px
that faggot pops in the discord banned me again because he think's my dd214 is innacurate. top kek
>>
>>35077904
A 20 minute 5k is easilly doable if your prinary training us distance running.

18 minute 5k is standard varsity. Its tough for 290 pound muscle dudes to run but its not mission impossible. Plus running is the most leniantky graded score on the pft.
>>
>>35084150

Infantry has been shat on always. Infantry is a term coined in Roman times for "those not ready to walk yet".

That's why I can earnestly say that yeah, the Marines crank out a better line infantryman than the Army, but still view vanilla infantry as a contemptuous job regardless of branch.
>>
>>35084150
Infantry is where you stick people whose brain housing groups are only capable of pointing a gun and pulling a trigger. Grunts revel in being "dumb" like that. That's why they hate POGs who are invariably smarter in some way.
>>
File: 00136328.0002.gif (66KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
00136328.0002.gif
66KB, 150x150px
>tfw have a bunch of new recruits in my department
how do I make it comfortable for them? We're all CF RCN Reserve but we do all the same training etc. etc.

It's a lot of morse code and signal flag bullshit at first; any other states' yeomen maybe have some tips on what to do or is it just drill with those bullshit flash cards until they go off on their course next summer?

>>35084153
>that faggot pops in the discord banned me again because he think's my dd214 is innacurate.
that is some next level neverserved faggotry

only someone whos never been in a force would ban someone from a chat for something like that, that reeks of salt of having been rejected for a job literally anyone can do

>>35084150
>Whyyy do they shit on infantry so much.
in my experience, infantry have a lot of unwarranted self importance

I don't mind the infantry people I've bet but there is a certain sense of entitlement thats off-putting

look at it this way; in the navy, we call a lot of bosn "sea ninjas". not because bosn are intrinsically bad or anything, but a lot of them consider themselves to be action stars when theyre really glorified seamsters, janitors, and drivers. a good bosn is worth his weight in gold, just like a good maintenance person is the one link that keeps everything together, a good driver in a slow car is faster than a bad driver in a fast car, etc., but a sea ninja is just some asshole with a knife. Infantry is similar. a good infantryman is an invaluable partner; but most are just assholes with knives. ESPECIALLY in the junior ranks.
>>
File: thriftstorepurchase.jpg (2MB, 2386x3367px) Image search: [Google]
thriftstorepurchase.jpg
2MB, 2386x3367px
>>35084272

home boy banned me on the grounds of doctoring my dd214, apparently 0317 is a primary MOS according to him and I never should've been allowed to go to mountain sniper because my DD214 didn't reflect my MOS. I wish he had been the commandant back in 2010 so he could've ensured everyone that had passed scout sniper basic course had a primary MOS instead of sticking to the one they already had. Would've solved a lot of problems.

unfortunately people who want actual advice from people who know what they're talking about get drowned out by fags like him.

pic related, something I bought at a thrift store to try to deceive people on the internet with.
>>
>>35084272
You should only use bullshit on hopelessly new/naive guys. Most other dudes appreciate relative sincerity and direction.

T Marine poolie.
>>
>>35081657
Tell the recruiter you will only go nuc if he can guarantee you'll be a nuc ET (reactor operator). If he agrees, punch him in his lying face.
Nuc isn't as bad once you get out as is said here, if you don't want to work at a civilian nuclear plant (and why would you?). But if you wash out, you will be an A-ganger somewhere. Which isn't bad.
>>
File: franck-gervais.jpg (257KB, 1180x664px) Image search: [Google]
franck-gervais.jpg
257KB, 1180x664px
>>35084331
>bullshit
I meant it as "work thats not fun but must be done regardless" and not "literally 'out of the movies' mindgames"

they HAVE to learn all their signal flags and morse code to get on their next courses, let alone into the fleet

>>35084323
you sound like a liar to me, but then again im not a yankee with intimate knowledge of military trades

not that that excuses the dude; you shouldnt get banned from a discord for wanting to be a sniper or whatever

>pic related, something I bought at a thrift store to try to deceive people on the internet with.
people have put in more effort into that than you, pal,
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/fake-soldier-franck-gervais-pleads-guilty

and people cared far less (at least here)
>>
>>35084423
not that im directly accusing you; i want to make it cl;ear that i dont give a shit

but from something as flashy as "sniper", well, I can see the reason for suspicion, but not why that suspicion warrants getting the boot from a channel dedicated to trying to join a force
>>
>>35084160
>18 minute 5k is standard varsity.
lmao m8 how slow were your Varsity runners. 18 was solid JV when I was in high school.
>>
>>35084912
Yeah yeag muh special snowflake div 4 texas school.
>>
File: 1504271309507.jpg (30KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1504271309507.jpg
30KB, 400x400px
>>35076452
>>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
>For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

ADF don't want whites or males.
Tfw not even the military wants me.

>the ADF put out a statement saying: “All roles in the Australian Defence Force (ADF) are open for men and women to apply.”
>But an ADF recruiter told The Telegraph: “Yes they can apply – but only women will get the job.”
>The instructions to ADF recruiters are clear with roles for men marked in red, clearly showing there are no vacancies for the next 12 months.
>But the ones for women are marked in green, showing targets for hiring in the next six months.
>Frontline roles including rifleman and artilleryman are also highlighted with a yellow star which means “recruit immediately” for women.
>The internal ADF document, obtained by The Telegraph, also shows similar quotas for the Navy and Air Force.
>Of 18 jobs open for the navy in the next six months just one is open to male recruits.
>None of the seven targeted Air Force roles is open to men.
>The recruiter said he had also been ordered to tell any male already recruited for a combat role but not yet in training to change their choice of job to make way for women recruits.
>“Recruiting officers have been directed not to process applications from males for combat roles over the next 12 months.
>Males will simply not get the jobs while females will be fast-tracked through the system,”
>The recruitment policy comes from the top. At an International Women’s Day speech in Canberra this year Chief of Army Lieutenant General Angus Campbell said: “We aspire to have 25 per cent representation of women in Army by 2025.”
>>
>>35084272
>in my experience, infantry have a lot of unwarranted self importance
You kinda need to have unwarranted self importance in infantry in either Army or Marines.

This ain't WW2 anymore where the objectives are clear and if you even have a vague sense of danger, you can just shoot into the jungle. Now you're holding posts while your buddy takes a piss and when you get shot at you need permission to return fire.

Imagine getting shot at just once while at post and having to wait 4 hours in cover while you don't have permission to shoot back while another team is trying to find where the asshole who took a pot shot at you was 3 hours ago.

Only way you make it out without cracking is by inflating your sense of self worth
>>
File: Coping With Life.jpg (20KB, 203x125px) Image search: [Google]
Coping With Life.jpg
20KB, 203x125px
>>35085608
>Of 18 jobs open for the navy in the next six months just one is open to male recruits
Which one?
Just went through my YOU session last Friday, applied for navy ET as primary and CIS/EWS as secondaries.
I'm not getting in are I?
>>
>>35085219
Nope, I'm from Ohio, which has notoriously slow times because it is hilly. I'm sure for California, New York, and Texas (as you mentioned) it's much faster since those states are generally the fastest states. I'm just wondering why everyone is pulling these standards out of their ass in this thread right now. Earlier in this very thread, an 18 minute three mile was something college track athletes aspire to do. A few weeks ago, a 6:30 mile was something only a few elite college runners could do. A few weeks before that, a 9 minute mile and a half was something that very few high school boys can do.

These are very easy times to run for literally anyone who runs fast consistently, yet for some reason people on /meg/ pull out of their ass that these times are impossible to run unless you have a unique talent with years of training under your belt.

Literally anyone can max out the run on PT's if they train for it, and aren't a complete fat ass. The max times aren't that fast, and acting like these are times that people running at the highest level of their age group have trouble with just discourages the average person from trying.
>>
>>35076965
Final bump? I know it's a bit difficult to answer
>>
Am I correct in thinking the Foreign Legion is pretty difficult to get into if you are not ex-military or from a very tough background?
>>
>>35087159

Ex-military doesn't do well in the Foreign Legion.
>>
>>35081232
this
I was on track as a pole vaulter in high school. my coach put me in a 2 mile race once for shits and giggles and I got a 12 minute time and still came in dead last.
6 minute mile splits is fat-kid highschool shit
>>
>>35081291
my suspicion is that they want more individual oriented persons as pilots rather than extremely team oriented persons
>i would rather take responsibility for my own tasks and failures than work on a team and be liable for their faults
sort of thing seems tailored to piloting where you are solely responsible for a multimillion dollar piece of equipment

but i'm just spitballing
>>
>>35087697
Really? I always thought they'd do better.
>>
>>35087818
>6 minute mile splits is fat-kid highschool shit

not the anon arguing about athletes, but I'm struggling with running despite being 5'9" 150 pounds. I can do one mile in like 7 minutes but my shins/calves start burning real bad so the second mile is 8-9 minutes. What am I doing that makes me worse at running than fat kids?
>>
>>35087895
How often do you run every week? What type of shoes are you wearing?
>>
>>35087895
you're not running enough

you also might have form issues
make sure you're striking midfoot or toe, not on your heel
make sure you're kicking up your heels when you cycle your legs
don't swing your arms across your body, they should be moving in relatively straight arcs
look at the horizon, not at your feett
>>
>>35086116
Claim to be trans gender and show them an estrogen prescription. Make sure to freeze semen, learn to epilate, start savinv for face surgery and buy some stockings.

The jews won, may as well become OC.
>>
File: 1502456175748.gif (2MB, 283x313px) Image search: [Google]
1502456175748.gif
2MB, 283x313px
>been running 3x a week
>expecting to get a call for my contract any day now

>strained my LCL on an 18 mile run last week, can't do more than 5 miles before it starts to seize up and I have to walk it out

I've been doing my LCL stretches religiously and cautiously for the last few days, and they're helping a lot, but this is the worst possible time for my knees to suddenly get unreliable on me.

I'm worried, bros.
>>
>>35088739
Maybe running 18 miles when you're only running 3 times a week wasn't the smartest thing to do.
>>
how do you guys put up with so much running? thats my only concern with enlisting. i love exercising in the gym but i cant stand running, is there a way to make myself like running as much as lifting heavy ass weight?
fyi im a shit runner
>>
>>35088972
Just start running, and don't take a day off. Run a mile a day if that helps you get into it. You don't just "make" yourself like running, without starting the process of actually running.
>>
>>35088873

I used to do 25+ miles weekly, 18 miles was just a maintenance run.
>>
>>35088972
Hypnosis
>>
>>35088972
>like running
I hate it. And I still do it. Some times you do things that suck. Not everything in your life will be enjoyable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV1KvNhXl0g
>>
File: soldiers-training-416309.jpg (41KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
soldiers-training-416309.jpg
41KB, 590x350px
>>35088972
>>35089055
Not running because you don't like it is on par with only eating ice cream and nothing else because its tasty.

You are still in the "yummy phase" of your life. You will grow out of it. You will grow to tolerate discomfort. Right now, a simple paper cut makes you recoil.
>>
>>35089006
Allocating 18 of the 25+ miles a week to a single run is profoundly bad for you
>>
>>35089082
As in once a week I would run 25+ miles, with alternating 1/5/10 mile runs for the other days. It took me a few years to reach that point.
>>
>>35089100
Oh ok, I misread what you were saying then. Lmao I was wondering what kind of dumbass would think it was a good idea to run 25 miles a week but do 18 of them in one day.
>>
>went to recruiters office with my dd214 to see if I could re-enlist
>they're going to request the rest of my discharge packet from the army so they have all my paperwork
>recruiter said after they get all that, my next step is interviews with the company commander, battalion commander, and general

Holy hot fuck. A general? I'm nervous boys. Has anyone gone through anything like this? I'm assuming I should dress well, keep my mouth shut until told otherwise, and be clean shaven and have a fresh haircut? I knew it was a process to get the waiver for my re enlistment but I didn't know I'd be sitting down with brass that high up. I'm spooked.
>>
>>35089261
Probably just gonna check your ERB and call you like the Narional guard does for promotions
>>
>>35089291
Forgive me, what's my ERB? I only ever made it to week 9 of OSUT before falling out, so I'm not really up to date on a lot of terms in the military.
>>
>>35084360
FTN, a nuc electrician, had a blog, here is a good start:
http://em-log.blogspot.com/2009/03/serious-as-heart-attack.html
>>
>>35089313
They there documentions in the army also Milpay that have your whole history entry date, date of rank , etc you never saw them because you don't have to print them out every other week for dumb NCOs
>>
Some good reading material for future mil peeps.

Once an eagle
>shows different types of leadership stances
This book actually reiterates some of the truths we post on here to dispel the fake shit most of us believe when we first sign up. For example, MC quits going officer route and enlists because he thinks going from enlisted to officer is the best route, then finds out how shit enlisted life is and how his whole viewpoint on enlisted life is wrong. So, shit like that. Also story is fucking cool. MC goes career army from spanish american war all the way to vietnam. I only found out about it cause it was recommended for me by a retired ranger i met at the VA lol.
>>
File: 32409100094_2b4c47728e_b.jpg (136KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
32409100094_2b4c47728e_b.jpg
136KB, 1024x684px
Any Coast Guard ASTs ever in these threads?
>>
>>35076965
No
>>
>>35077436
Tfw garrison Corps
>>
>>35089261
>>35089313
>I only ever made it to week 9 of OSUT before falling out
I could smell this. When you said meeting a general was gonna make you nervous I knew you werent acutally re-enlisting cause only a faggot would actually care about a general.
>>
>>35089969

no, but i know/ have worked with a few
>>
>>35089313
What MOS? Why did you fall out?
>>
>>35089261
>interview with a general

Not happening. You are going to talk on the phone with a Captain, a Lt Col., and a one star is the approval authority but you'll never even talk to or see him. You may or may not see the other two in person but I doubt it. It will probably be by phone.
>>
Shipping late Nov for infantry OSUT, anyone else?
>>
>>35090471
Suck a sick. Ive never met with someone that high up and I'm sure while they're so non intimidating to some high speed coolguy like you, I'm a bit nervous talking to what is basically upper management about why they should let me back in.

>>35090584
I'm going in for 11X

Got chaptered because I got a letter from my brother saying he was worried mom and dad were gonna divorce and I tried to have a small private freakout in the latrine but my battle buddy ratted on me and said I was having a panic attack. Drills counseled me, then started ehh the fuck fuck games of "fraudulent enlistment" and we're throwing around words like "Leavenworth" and "forever". They didn't explicitly do anything that said "were going to make you quit", but it sure felt like they steered me that way and I was tired of being threatened with military prison
>>
>>35090606
I see. That makes me feel a bit better- thanks. Either way, the recruiter spoke like this wasn't a totally lost cause so I'm hopeful for a second chance.
>>
File: pepe_giv_2.png (14KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_giv_2.png
14KB, 657x527px
Just signed as a 12c bridge crewmember what did I get myself into and any other 12c's here. Am I going to get to travel alot
>>
>>35090976
What's with soldiers and ratting out people? I know a dude who said he did cocain like 7 years before he enlisted with some dudes while he was deployed and they tattled on him.
>>
>>35091069
I think my battle buddy was just concerned- I doubt he told on me with any malice. I don't think he knew what the drill sergeants were gonna do, and he certainly didn't know what a panic attack was because I was just crying in the latrines and trying to get myself all chilled out. A panic attack is no fucking bueno
>>
>>35091121
>talks to drill Sargeant instead of dude panicking

I guess tattling is fine if you have 100 iq and cant deal with situations/ are extremely lazy, but I wouldn't be respecting up with anybody I saw doing that. Didn't most dudes go through elementary school and learn NOT to do that?
>>
Is having a rope in tech school worth it?
>>
>>35091306
ddint most dudes learn dont cry in the latrines like thsi faggot>>35091121
>>
>>35090976
This post hurt my head
>>
>>35090976
>latrine
This isn't what you said last time. Why are you changing your story?
>>
Any coasties in here?
>>
Would you be able to go to ranger school,airborne school ,ect if you're an army pilot?
>>
What's it like having a car in the navy (would it be different for subs)? Do they sit a lot (how long on average if so)?
>>
>>35092379

Possible but relatively pointless. Most officers who attend those schools are just doing them for uniform flair anyways.
>>
Debating on Going into Intelligence, what Branch would you guys recommend? Currently looking into the Navy.
>>
>>35092508

Whichever branch will give you intel in your contract.
>>
>>35092508

Depends on which discipline and O or E.
>>
>>35092574
Planning on going Officer, most likely with a degree in political science or the like
>>
>>35092590

Air Force.

Do you have any idea what specialization, if any, you want?
>>
>>35092620
Not really, haven't really looked in depth to my options under the intelligence. I do know that I would rather be out and about gathering intel than be behind a computer screen but I am still open to it. And could you give your reasoning for air force?
>>
>>35092701

>out and about gathering intel

Ask for HUMINT specialization early on, as in as soon as possible.

>give your reasoning for air force

Marines suck, Army has you baby-sitting too many junior enlisted, and Navy likes their tech entirely too much.
>>
>>35092590
>Thinking about going officer some time in the nebulous future without even having decided on a degree.

You're going to discover you like pot and pizza too much during college and then never join. That's just the way it goes.
>>
>>35092764
I've decided on Poli Sci major. Unless something else peaks my interest and meets the required Degree to become an intelligence Officer
>>
>>35092726
Alright, Thanks. Would you recommend I do ROTC or just do OCS?
>>
>>35092887
It's 'piques', college boy.

gl bby
>>
>>35092896

Do ROTC for the scholarship money.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-06-17-34-15.jpg (37KB, 526x708px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-06-17-34-15.jpg
37KB, 526x708px
I'm looking at Army MOS 25S, and they're offering 40k signing bonus.
Does anyone know why it's in such high demand? Are the troops all leaving for high paying contracting jobs? Or does the career field just suck that much?
Pic unrelated (maybe)
>>
>>35092981
Most likely sucks
>>
>>35092981
>>35093009

Strat 25S is one of the cushiest jobs in the Army, and one of the only jobs where you'll get to work with Army space command and get space wings.

Tactical 25S is somewhat less cool, but still a pretty good gig and very transferable compared to most jobs.

Overall near the top tier of jobs, IMO.
>>
>>35093044
Digits check out, thank you Stalker
>>
File: 1491255424192.jpg (5KB, 250x183px) Image search: [Google]
1491255424192.jpg
5KB, 250x183px
>Parris Island is going to get hit the day I ship out
JUST FUCK MY CORP UP
>>
File: 1318041787953.jpg (103KB, 732x550px) Image search: [Google]
1318041787953.jpg
103KB, 732x550px
Legitimate question:

Marines like to advertise themselves as "the manliest" branch, the one where all the macho men go to. So why in the fucking hell do women want to be Marines?
>>
>>35093844

choo-choo
>>
>>35093961
Kek this
>>
>>35093961
Makes sense from a female perspective I suppose.
>>
>>35093961
Is this saying theyre lesbians or that they like tog et trains ran on them?
>>
>>35093844
god i was thinking the same thing they all want a train of marines fucking em in the ass
>>
>>35088972
Give it like 3 weeks of running every other day until you can't and then walk until you can run again. Once you can easily run a mile without feeling winded and hacking up mucus from your unused lungs running gets much better.

The only thing I hate about running is how much time it takes. I'd rather spend that time jerking off or doing anything else really.
>>
>>35087818
>6 minute mile splits is fat-kid highschool shit
Fuck off dude, in fact all of you "6 minute miles is easy" faggots can fuck right off. A 6 minute mile is the result of serious commitment to running over many months and few average people actually run better than 9 minute miles. An untrained lardass will run an 11 minute mile and be dying by the end of it.
>>
So what is the actual probability of getting into marsoc assuming you do well on the trials? I dont want to run with a 50 pound weight every weekend and then get blamped.
>>
File: 1326579776688.gif (3MB, 290x262px) Image search: [Google]
1326579776688.gif
3MB, 290x262px
Unironically, what are the actual chief differences between the Army and the Marines? Not the shit that's found on Google.
>>
>>35094165

You should be more worried about being allowed to even try out. Your unit could decide not to spare you for the time to even let you try out.
>>
>>35094191
Is it possible that I:

>Try out once my four years are active are done
>become active again if I pass, dont become active if I fail.
>>
>>35094185
I have no idea honestly, but I assume marines are able to deployed en masse faster than army.

As far as your concerned, you should be choosing branch based off mos.
>>
>>35094185

The Marines are the Navy's bitch and more or less exist to churn out a quality line infantryman to serve the Navy's purposes, with everything else coming as secondary including retaining those quality infantrymen. The Army is a gigantic operation that churns out everything from cannon fodder to competent support troops and does what it can to maintain itself in spite of it's bureaucratic dysfunction.

Marines
Function: Good basic infantry.
Dysfunction: Fucked on purpose because it isn't supposed to function except to churn out enough junior enlisted to fill an infantry roster for the Navy.

Army
Function: Everything
Dysfunction: Lol @ doing everything without being fucking dysfunctional
>>
>>35094232
So basically Marines are a short term-investment while the Army can generally keep their people around?
>>
>>35094232
>The Marines are the Navy's bitch
Detected the Navyfag. Marines are nobody's bitch but our own. Go make me a drink, sailor.
>>
>>35094242

Correction: the corps make a short-term investment, the Army would keep you if they could and they certainly try.
>>
File: 1504623649838.jpg (9KB, 228x250px) Image search: [Google]
1504623649838.jpg
9KB, 228x250px
>Question on AF EOD

If you get flunked during eglin and become one the statistics, what do you usually reclassed as? do you get to pick a MOS preference or it's up to the AF's mercy to put you in a non-shitty MOS?
>>
>>35094298
Personally, the only reason I can really see people joining the Marines is to either a) go infantry or b) coast off of the prestige of being a Marine.

If I wanted to actually get shit done and slay bodies, I would just join SOF or the Green Berets.
>>
File: 1402168825227.png (192KB, 335x315px) Image search: [Google]
1402168825227.png
192KB, 335x315px
Redpill me on the Rangers. Would I be better off going for them or becoming a Green Beret?
>>
>>35094316
You'll get a nice comfy job checking IDs at a gate in Kansas :)
>>
Is there limit to how far you can travel from where you're stationed at stateside?
>>
>>35094371
You mean for like liberty? Depends upon the leave given. The shorter the leave, the tighter the leash.
>>
>>35094380
Let's say you live on officer housing oit off base and you have the weekend off would you be able to visit a friend a few hours away and maybe stay over?
>>
>>35094407
If he's within the city/state, then yeah, most likely. Just don't try to go to Colorado from California or something major like that and it should be okay.
>>
>>35094417
It would most likely be traveling from fort Rucker (southern Alabama) to Florida and maybe Georgia, could i get in trouble for going off state? What about having people stay over at your place is there anything against that?
>>
File: 1503252777412.jpg (20KB, 203x232px) Image search: [Google]
1503252777412.jpg
20KB, 203x232px
Apparently to get into Marine EOD you need to be a corporal or higher, but lower than Staff Sargent.

Can I bank on being able to lat move to EOD during my first 4 years or am I probably going to have to go for another 4?
>>
>>35094789
Why dont you try EOD in another branch?
>>
File: 1501739886403.png (77KB, 771x686px) Image search: [Google]
1501739886403.png
77KB, 771x686px
>>35094822
I want to join the Memereens because I don't like wearing long sleeves, and they're the only branch that gets to roll them up.
>>
What career path do you have to go down to do things like control unmanned drones?

From Australia.
>>
How gay is the Navy? I don't want to find myself on a small destroyer on Rod Warming duty with a 50 year old named Lawrence.
>>
>honor, courage, commitment
Stupid virtues desu. They should be

>valor, exceptionalism, death
Itd be way more badass
>>
>>35094878
Broest guard
>>
Will the air force free health insurance cover lasik once I'm in?
>>
>>35094227

Bullshit. The Army can get boots on the ground faster than the Marines nearly anywhere between SOF and global QRF. Marines are poorly equipped for fast deployment since they don't have their own transportation.
>>
>>35095756
Why not? You some kinda fag?
>>
>>35094371
Depends on your command. Some limit the radius to like 400 miles, for example.
>>
>>35094878

Army has been able to roll sleeves for almost 2 years now. Navy and Air Force were already able to.
>>
>>35092452
Don't REALLY need one if you live on base, but they're nice to have, regardless. Don't buy one anywhere near the base unless it's from another sailor (see: "lemon lot"). Subs can go on short underways that last a few weeks or they can go on 6-month deployments; in any case, there's always a designated parking area on a base for deployed personnel to leave their car.
>>
>>35094502
You said officer housing. If you are an officer you will have plenty of freedom.
>>
>>35095359
15W entry level Army MOS
>>
File: 1200px-US-NEW-CLASS-A-UNIFORM.png (789KB, 1200x577px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-US-NEW-CLASS-A-UNIFORM.png
789KB, 1200x577px
Jesus Christ, Army. Consolidate your awards. Fucking shit is all over the place.
>>
Why did I have to squat and waddle in my underwear during my medical?

Why did the guy have to feel my pubic area?
>>
>>35096637
Because you looked like a juicy little fag
>>
>>35096637
It's part of becoming a Soldier.
>>
What exactly do signals intelligence analysts in Army and AF and Cryptologic technician in the Navy?
>>
>>35097099
I don't know but im in DEP as a 35N
>>
>>35096637
>woman doctor poked me for hernia
>start laughing because dirty mind
>"is something wrong?"
>"no I've just never had this done before"
>try to make my smile look like a grimace of discomfort
>guy standing in the room because must have member of same sex with you for whatever reason just keeps looking straight ahead
>>
File: 1504759631240.jpg (97KB, 800x815px) Image search: [Google]
1504759631240.jpg
97KB, 800x815px
>>35097099
>Cryptologic technician in the Navy
theres like 5 different rates in that field and theyre all different. CTI and CTN being very different. Read up

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/crypto_it/Pages/default.aspx
>>
File: sergey-samuilov-odst-01-blur.jpg (310KB, 1200x1920px) Image search: [Google]
sergey-samuilov-odst-01-blur.jpg
310KB, 1200x1920px
Joining the National Guard soon. Should I just enlist or apply to OCS?
>>
>little brother wants to enlist with me for the same MOS and have the same ship date

What are the chances this is allowed to happen

Also, I'm gonna figure that they'll separate us as early as possible, is that correct? Say we got a promised duty station in our contracts and it was the same one, for the same MOS- would we be allowed to do that?

I don't care either way, he was just curious and I didn't know so here I am asking a bunch of nerds on 4chan
>>
>>35097547
ocs
>>
>>35097790
Bump for this
>>
As someone who identifies as a Gay Tyrannosaurus Rex, could I make it in the marines?
>>
>>35097988
check with your recruiter, but i am pretty sure they have been waiving those who id as dinos, regardless of orientation
>>
>>35097790

>little brother wants to enlist with me for the same MOS and have the same ship date
>What are the chances this is allowed to happen
Very possible, search "buddy program enlistment"

>Also, I'm gonna figure that they'll separate us as early as possible, is that correct?
good chance you'll be in the same boot platoon due to the fact that that shit is in paperwork. However, prepare to get hazed to fuck for being brothers. itll make you stronger when the other fucks up

>Say we got a promised duty station in our contracts and it was the same one, for the same MOS- would we be allowed to do that?
Less likely. They dont like siblings being in the same unit in case of war and everyone maybe dying at once. Look up "sole survivor policy"
>>
>running sucks but is easy
>curl ups are just easy
>pushups--
Why are pushups so fucking hard? Is it because I have long arms?
>>
File: 1500332561742.jpg (2MB, 4268x3100px) Image search: [Google]
1500332561742.jpg
2MB, 4268x3100px
>>35098027
they arent. Just progress and practice appropriately. Follow this program and dont be fat and youre good
>>
>>35076638
>no MOS yet, i'm delayed entry
boi those fucking recruiters got you
>>
>>35098021
I've got a third brother that has absolutely zero interest in joining so the sole survivor thing wouldn't apply there I think. But thank you for the answers man, I appreciate it.

For what it's worth I'm going infantry and he wants to do the same
>>
>>35097547
If the question is "should I enlist or do OCS" then the answer is OCS 100% of the time.
>>
>>35098066
That pushup challenge is a copy of the hundredpushups.com program. It's actually a pretty good program.
>>
>>35092981
>Are the troops all leaving for high paying contracting jobs?

thats exactly what theyre doing.

in the corps as well
>>
>>35093573
>MY CORP
get out
>>
>>35098191
ya its just a spin on any standard linear progression program.
>>
>>35095756
Anything that isn't a Submarine isn't faggot.

But it's not gay if it's underway so...
>>
>>35098066
I've been putting off training up before I ship out to basic but now that I have a guide with cute anime girl I think I'm ready to buckle down.
>>
>>35093573
>MY CORP
Corps*

And it isn't yours yet, Poolee.
>>
>>35098445
When will it be his? After he gets his EGA or after he starts to hate the corps?
>>
File: Marine graph.png (31KB, 1486x876px) Image search: [Google]
Marine graph.png
31KB, 1486x876px
>>35098490
Only time will tell.
>>
>>35094342
Green berets draw a lot of candidates from rangers IIRC

So if you're worried about it, go for rangers and try to get tabbed n scrolled and if you do well enough in the 75th you'll probably get the opportunity to try out for SF
>>
>>35098490
After he completes his MOS school.
>>
>>35092701
HUMINT is something the Army can offer you off the bat as a 35M. 35P Cryptologic Linguist you have the chance to do high-speed SIGINT/EW shit as part of an SOT-A if you're airborne and lucky. Marines you can't start with HUMINT. AF is mostly desk intel and counterintel. Navy is same.
>>
>going to see the recruiter today, in like 3 hours
>dad wants to come to understand what I'm getting into and help with whatever medical history paperwork we need to dig up for MEPS

Will the recruiter treat me any different, or do they see this shit often enough? I'd go alone, but my dad is insisting, plus I've got no idea how to navigate the various healthcare providers my family has had over the years, so the medical history for MEPS thing is a hangup.
>>
>>35098997
They see parents with their kids all the time. Don't worry about it, unless your dad is gonna try to sperg out and get you DQed from enlisting
>>
>>35098997
What medical history exactly???
>>
>>35099052
>ADD medication I stopped about 2 years ago
>Minor surgery as a baby (pulmonary stenosis)
>Whatever medical info MEPS needs
If it turns out MEPS needs nothing they'll get nothing.
>>
>>35099101
Dude i wouldnt even mention that if I was you but you probably wont listen so im telling you now youre gonna need all that paper work, whci meps will msot likely loose 10 times, and then need follow up appointments to verify youre ok, which will take another 5 months.
>>
>>35099184
I don't know what's required for MEPS. I do know that I should

>Bring whatever paperwork I need, if any
>Not bring up past health issues unless I'm directly confronted, then feign ignorance of them
>>
>>35099259
Thats my advice yes. Unless whatever medcial stuff you have is blatanly obvious i wouldnt mention it. Like if youre missing a finger obviously theyll see so admit that. But any otehr stuff that theyll never know about its ebst to just avoid it and yes feign ignorance.
desu i just looked up pulmonary stenosis and that looks serious man. If its no problem now id def stay quiet cause if meps sees that shit theyre gonna loose theyre mind.
>>
File: 20170907_125449.jpg (333KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170907_125449.jpg
333KB, 1600x1200px
>>35099275
Shit, I meant pyloric stenosis. It's a partial clog in the lower intestine, caused vomiting, happens to 1-2 per 1000 babies. Had the surgery as a baby and no complications in the last 22 years. There's a faint horizontal scar about 3" long on my stomach, but that's it. The stretch marks on my back look worse.
>>
>>35099338
still sounds serious. For meps anything liek that is serious. Your call though if you wanna tell them.
Either way
What branch and what job you looking at
>>
>>35097790

You can't get a duty station in your contract. If you enlist on the exact same day for the exact same job you're pretty likely to spend your initial training together. No guarantee you don't get split up when you get sent to your first assignments though.

>>35098021

>Buddy program

Officially discontinued years ago.

>Sole survivor policy

Has not been a factor in decades. Maybe if war with NK kicks back off and we start seeing real casualty numbers again.
>>
>>35092701

>I do know that I would rather be out and about gathering intel than be behind a computer screen

This is not nearly as glamorous or fun as it sounds. The vast majority of intel work involves a lot of sitting behind a desk. Even HUMINT guys spend more time typing up reports and other products about their field work than they do actually in the field.

If you're actually interested in intel it's usually better to just accept that you're going to be riding a desk a lot of the time and come to terms with it.
>>
>>35099392
>Army
>HUMINT Collector
>Airborne
SF86 shouldn't be a problem, desu. As long as no medical shit comes up, I'm gucci.
>>
>>35099439
Do not tell MEPS anything medical. Do not tell your recruiter anything medical. There is no reason to. I would say leave your dad behind for an additional layer of plausible deniability, but MEPS is so far removed from what happens in your recruiter's office that it doesn't even matter.

MEPS WILL NOT FIND YOUR MEDICAL HISTORY UNLESS YOU TELL THEM. There is no investigation. They do not search for them. TS clearence does not deal with medical records, they will not find them either.

The only thing that will happen if you tell your recruiter or MEPS about your dumb illnesses as a child, is that you will have to wait a couple months for waivers (if you're lucky).
>>
>>35099439
>>35099505

I should add that it's important your father understands this as well. Don't let him cuck you out of the military by bringing this shit up.
>>
>>35099521
this
>>35099439
you need to sit your dad down and give him a serious talk. He may think hes "helping" you but in reality if he opens his mouth hes gonna fuck you over
>>
File: 1399696229487.gif (85KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1399696229487.gif
85KB, 375x375px
Are Airborne actually "elite," or is that just marketing bullshit?
>>
>>35099767

For it to be marketing bullshit you'd have to actually have marketing focused on getting people to think paratroopers are elite. Nobody thinks that, not even paratroopers.

Airborne is a school that is nearly impossible to fail, and the vast majority of Airborne graduates are conventional troops that will never even use that skill in combat.
>>
>>35099803
Okay, that's what I thought. I see the fucking Airborne patch on almost every infantry soldier. Are Rangers sort of the same way, or are they actually an elite bunch?
>>
>>35099812

Rangers are assigned to a SOF unit with a selection process, additional funding, lots of additional training, and a specialized mission set. Those are all good reasons to call them "elite".

Keep in mind that having a tab is not the same as actually being a Ranger.
>>
>>35099840
Yeah, from what I've been told the pipeline is quite long.

Well hey, thank you for answering my questions!
>>
>>35098027
>running sucks but it is easy
>pushups are a breeze
>can't do a single sit up

What the fuck is wrong with me? I do squats, deadlifts and leg raises for core but I can't do a single sit up. I've never been able to do any. How do I fix this shit before getting laughed out of the recruiting office?
>>
>>35099505
>>35099338
Won't they see the scar and ask what it's from? I also had pyloric stenosis as a kid but my scar is kind of noticeable so I was just going to tell them so no one accuses me of lying if they ever see me with me shirt off
>>
>>35099983
>but I can't do a single sit up
no way this is true
>>35100043
if the scar is super visible yes you will have to say something.
>>
File: Uh.png (513KB, 600x782px) Image search: [Google]
Uh.png
513KB, 600x782px
How do people emotionally react in boot camp? I don't want to get mad when I'm yelled at and I end up with a red angry face and get called out for it.
>>
>>35100423
Just don't call your instructor fake and gay. Let's just say PTing you beyond death is possible.
>>
>>35100423
Literally everyone will get yelled at and singled out at some point. its no big deal at all. its meant to happen thats kind of the whole point.
>>
>>35100504
>everyone will get yelled at and singled out at some point.
The fuck is this Communist shit? You a Fucking commie? You suck Marx dick every night? Well I fucking hope you spread the wealth with everyone in this thread.
>>
>>35100549
is this some form of humor? what exactly are you going for here?
>>
File: IMG_1996.png (1MB, 908x898px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1996.png
1MB, 908x898px
>>35100616
>>35100616

NEW THREAD

>>35100616
>>35100616
>>
>>35094342
You'd be better off reading a book or two before asking stupid questions
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.