[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CAD thread 9 - Coach Gun Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 13

File: SxS CAD.jpg (56KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
SxS CAD.jpg
56KB, 500x294px
Previous thread: >>34805226

>What is this thread about?
This thread is for anons who are currently designing firearms, or firearm accessories, or using CAD to further their firearms knowledge.

>What is CAD
CAD stands for Computer Aided Design, it's 2D/3d software that lets you model parts and assemblies. It is the staple of all design in nearly every single industry on the planet.

>What CAD programs are out there
hundreds, maybe even thousands of types are available. However for simplicity sake and to answer your next question Solidworks and AutoCAD seem to have the biggest user base and most tutorials. you can find them on PirateBay

>Are there tutorials out there for the program I want to learn? (for simplicity sake I'm only going to focus on SW)
SolidWorks https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkMYhICFMsGZnW6j-JRyAcjWpnOqRuQI7

>OK, I now know a bit. Where can I CAD up some real stuff related to firearms?(needs expanding)
>MK2 Sten
http://stevespages.com/pdf/sten_mk2_complete_machine_instructions.pdf
>>
>>34869931
See >>34869098
>>
File: VSS.png (558KB, 1489x1043px) Image search: [Google]
VSS.png
558KB, 1489x1043px
>>34869931
As usual anons, here's a nice big CAD dump. I'll be working on an update to the ARK that isn't full of bullshit and some stuff that I've added myself including mine awareness and search techniques, and of course CAD

https://www.adrive.com/public/42j3Pd/1.zip
https://www.adrive.com/public/vv2TfA/2.zip
https://www.adrive.com/public/47D2zc/3.zip
https://www.adrive.com/public/n8fTYB/4.zip
https://www.adrive.com/public/GTv8GX/5.zip
https://www.adrive.com/public/yXj7J9/6.zip
https://www.adrive.com/public/r26hGM/7.zip
>>
>>34870293
Is the VSS and AUG in the files?
>>
Anyone know where i can get blueprints or plans for a beretta 92fs/m9 slide?
>>
>>34870640

buy a dozen slides, a set of calipers, and make one yourself.
>>
>>34869931
Wait, so do you actually make stuff based off this, or are you guys just into modeling?
>>
>>34870876
For the purpose of these threads, both are fine.
>>
>>34870895
So is someone trying to make a VSS or something? >>34870293
>>
>>34870937
I know there's a group who have been trying to domestically manufacture a Vintorez, though whether that's their model or not I don't know. I'm not involved in that project.
>>
>>34870876
A little of both. If you think even a tenth of the people here have access to machine tools you're just going to disappoint yourself.
>>
>>34871022
Not everyone with the knowledge has the tools and not everyone with the tools has the knowledge, either...
>>
>>34870876
I don't post in these threads, just scrolling by the front page, but I've been designing and printing parts for years now.
>>
>>34871047
Well you're more than welcome to stick around.
>>
>>34869931
So is it possible to create a new gun and market it? What things would you need to consider for this?
>>
>>34871473
Absolutely.
Do you have any background in engineering, manufacturing or business?
>>
>>34871473
Getting the appropriate SOT is first and foremost, desu. Your facilities, licenses, funding, etc. You may wish to scope out some smaller outfits to get a sense of what works and what doesn't. Other options include attempting to sell your design to a manufacturer.
>>
>>34871473
it is possible but it is pure pain bra i tell ya. it is doable but depending on the stuff u want to sell it can be quite expensive. if u manage to make it its quite profitable
>>
>>34870950
nah, yedinororg/ unicorn fucker said it's fallen apart.
>>
File: IMG_7264.png (140KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7264.png
140KB, 750x1334px
Few tweaks
>>
>>34871047
>>34871291
and share some tips on the actual manufacturing
>>
>>34869931
SolidWorks is my jam. I don’t design gun parts but I love that program
>>
>>34873433
I do have three 3D printers though
>>
I heard that there's no money in professional gunsmithy. Is this true?
>>
>>34872447
Expected that to happen but still sad that I was right.
We're getting commercial 9x39 soon regardless, so we may see clones sooner than you think.
>>34873621
Preeetty much. 99% of your job is going to be related to optics and mounts, 0.9% just fucking cleaning and replacing extractors, 0.05% barrel crowns, and the remaining 0.05% things you might actually be interested in doing.
>>
Is Solidworks really superior to Inventor?
>>
>>34871505
>Getting the appropriate SOT is first and foremost, desu
You don't need an SOT unless you're dealing with Title II arms.
>>
File: MDX-40A-11.jpg (88KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
MDX-40A-11.jpg
88KB, 500x356px
Does anyone have any experience with these roland mdx machines (pic related). Its my understanding that you dont even need to do gcode with them. Just feed it an stl and hit go. We are getting a few at my university and the shop manager said that the roland rep said that they had them running in an elementary school . . . is this too good to be true?

https://www.rolanddga.com/products/3d/mdx-540-benchtop-milling-machine
>>
>>34871498
only business, i'm going back to school for 2-3 years in mechanical eng.
>>
>>34873669
>lease price
>literally higher than most BMWs
>>
>>34871505
Yea I wouldn't mind selling a design but how much would you make off that, peanuts?
>>
>>34873653
>We're getting commercial 9x39 soon regardless, so we may see clones sooner than you think.
Hopefully, maybe the vatniks will play nice and not get SANCTIONED anymore
>>
>>34871505
SOT? I'm in Canada and have PAL, I can get RPAL no problem
>>
>>34873669
Sounds like pussy router shit. Aluminum at the most is probably what it's rated for.
>>
>>34873755
It's probably double illegal in Canada then.
>>
>>34873669
>>34873761
>Usable Materials
>Plastic, resin, wood and non-ferrous metals
Yep, they're shit. Jesus, for the price they pay for the lease they could buy 2 or 3 Haas mini mills or even a fucking cnc lathe
>>
>>34873669
>you dont even need to do gcode with them. Just feed it an stl and hit go
So it auto-generates gcode without any user input on the finer details? That sounds like a bad idea.
>>
File: 1431924507352.png (3KB, 212x166px) Image search: [Google]
1431924507352.png
3KB, 212x166px
>>34873874
its a brave new distributed manufacturing world anon, I want to believe
>>
>>34873777
True
>>
>>34873864
you can do a shit ton with aluminum and plastics anon, its not 1950 anymore
>>
>>34873669
https://www.rolanddga.com/products/3d/mdx-40a-benchtop-cnc-mill

I have one of these at work and is probably closer to what you want, the cam software it comes with (the "just feed it an stl" part) is passable but I haven't been able to find a default parameter library for aluminum, if you don't mind hand coding it'll do just fine as long as you don't push it too hard and not be a complete slob about clearing your chips
>>
>>34873755
>>34873777
Anyone with a PAL or RPAL can design and manufacture firearms that fall under those licenses for personal use. All other laws, like capacity, barrel lengths, caliber restrictions and the like still apply. Any semi-auto design will need to be inspected by the CFC to make sure that it isn't full-auto or easily converted and any restricted firearms will need to be registered before work actually starts on manufacturing it.

If you intend on selling them, you need to maneuver a different set of hoops for that.
>>
>>34873874
Not quite, you give their software an stl and you get the fisher price version of cam , eg picking tools and operation order
>>
oh hey it's the ultimate /k/ larper thread
>>
>>34876164
You're looking for /gqg/
You know the thread with the people who actually do something that fits the definition of LARPing
>>
>>34876164
Oh hey, it's the guy who shitposts in each one of these threads because he has nothing of value to add.
>>
>>34873373
what program is this
>>
File: phpz0LTDg.jpg (81KB, 716x709px) Image search: [Google]
phpz0LTDg.jpg
81KB, 716x709px
>>34876323
>imblying this isnt the thread creator dropping easy bait in his thread before he goes to bed knowing full well anons will bite and keep his thread bumped all night long while he sleeps sound in the knowledge it will be there when he wakes full of (((((you))))))s
>>
File: 1471033783414.png (2MB, 1461x1071px) Image search: [Google]
1471033783414.png
2MB, 1461x1071px
>>34876825
>>
>>34876164
>>>/lgbt/ faggot
>>
>>34876847
To what end? There's nothing to gain from trashing your own threads
>>
File: Expedient Homemade Firearms.jpg (19KB, 260x346px) Image search: [Google]
Expedient Homemade Firearms.jpg
19KB, 260x346px
How much math would I need to know to design original stuff in the vein of this?
>>
>>34876610
Looks like Inventor 2014 perhaps
>>
>>34877286
Aside from basic geometry and maybe the odd bit of trig, a lot of CAD softwares can do the arithmetic for you where necessary. Fits and tolerances are definitely the trickiest part. I usually leave .001"-.002" for fits with moving parts, sometimes more depending on what the parts do
>>
>>34873659
who the fuck even uses Inventor?
>>
>>34877302

Really? I've asked this before and was told this

>"To actually "design" a firearm in this day and age, you're looking for a degree in Mechanical Engineering. You need to understand material properties, manufacturing methodology, general Newtonian mechanical physics (both static and dynamic), and some basic college level chemistry AS WELL AS the general functions of firearms, etc. This requires a comprehension of the Calculus and Differential Equations fields of mathematics at a minimum. Something like linear algebra might help a lot as well (it's basically a shortcut through a lot of math.)"

Is that not true?
>>
>>34877369
Well you're not designing a firearm
Luty already designed it
>>
>>34877317
Fuckers who cant pirate/buy other things.
>>
>>34877369
Define design, for fucking about your backyard you only need to know the basics of bolt velocities and material strength so you dont blow yourself up and even then you can play fast and loose depending on what is good enough for you. If something works you dont need to replicate it or explain it.

For actual production you absolutly need to know all of the above.
>>
File: Chiappa_Rhino_60DS_065.jpg (349KB, 1455x900px) Image search: [Google]
Chiappa_Rhino_60DS_065.jpg
349KB, 1455x900px
>>34877369
Whoever told you that is overthinking it. All of those skills will definitely make your life easier but it's all a matter of knowing a few key things I've found. I've make working firearms and parts that I've designed myself. Maybe I just dumbed it down too much.
>knowing what materials can be used for what
for example: don't go making barrels and shit out of aluminium. Be aware of what parts have the most stress imposed on them and design accordingly. If in doubt overengineer, then refine it later as you see fit
>calculus and differential equations
what the fuck for? Odds are, the average /k/ lurker isn't trying to reinvent the rifle or anything. Start with simple home modifications, and work your way up
>manufacturing methodology
this is so true. If you're looking for a precision approach, you have to design with machining capabilities in mind. Start with learning about profile operations, then how to create tooling that will actually work for further operations down the line
>newtonian physics
springs are tough but there are formulas (recoil springs, main springs, etc), knowing how to design small parts (trigger mechanisms, for example) is just something that you have to get creative with and having a mechanically oriented mind and understanding application of force is a tremendous asset
>chemistry
no
>linear algebra
no. You're not designing an asymmetrical flying machine

don't get bogged down with people telling you this and that. You'll make mistakes, and you improve on them. Start with a design that you think will work, test it in CAD, make revisions, make a prototype, test it, and go back to the drawing board ad infinitum until you're satisfied. A lot of people in the firearms designing and manufacturing community are unhelpful, and quite honestly pretentious. I'm about 6 beers deep so sorry for rambling. I'd teach you everything I know if I had the time
>>
>>34876610
Fusion360 well the app for it
>>
>>34875945
>Canadians can make their own SKSs once surplus dries up
Amazing
>>
>>34876164
>LARPing has become the new "is x a meme?"
>>
>>34877424
this is a good post
>>
>>34877424
Pretty much sums up what I feel on the matter.

Any time I've mentioned I was thinking of designing a firearms the usual statement I get is "It's that dangerous?" or "I would never trust a home made firearm."

I'm a third year mechanical engineering student (fourth year is honours thesis and work experience so I'm nearly done with the actual learning), and people still can't believe how easily a gun can be built and designed safely.
>>
>>34877424

>I'd teach you everything I know if I had the time

Assuming I'm starting from scratch not counting a love for firearms history and design (binge watching Forgotten Weapons, etc), what resources would you recommend to get me up to speed
>>
>>34877369
>>34877424
>>34877941
With a bit of technical inclination anyone can design a poor to mediocre firearm, but it takes a solid understanding of engineering, physics, materials and manufacturing if you want to design a *good* firearm.
>>
>>34877987

Then why were some of the most successful small arms designs and innovations seemingly brought about by studious individuals in the 20th century?
>>
>>34878015
Desperation is the mother of all invention
>>
>>34878015
They all had engineering degrees and training or at the very least got a team that did, what the fuck are you on about?

No one cares you can make weapon to surpass metal gear if you have no idea how to get millioms pumped out.
>>
>>34877987
Most of the best firearms designers are either self taught or entered firearms design from other fields.
>>
File: Yom Kippur Soldier with Uzi.jpg (78KB, 700x1007px) Image search: [Google]
Yom Kippur Soldier with Uzi.jpg
78KB, 700x1007px
>>34878027

Be more fun
>>
Is that a Suomi in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?
>>
>>34877317
It's got a free student license that's incredibly easy to get. Also Geissele.

Just curious how much better Solidworks is, I've never used it.
>>
>>34878466
The only people I've seen use inventor are coming out of schools that teach it and they insist it does everything solidworks does, that being said they also struggled a bit with some of the weirder surface stuff so I'll take that with a grain of salt
>>
>>34877424
chemistry is only needed if u are designing a new type of round, something like caseless or new energetic compounds, which is not needed if u are designing a firearm for an already established round
>>
File: JohnBrowning.jpg (27KB, 250x400px) Image search: [Google]
JohnBrowning.jpg
27KB, 250x400px
>>34877369
>His father Jonathan Browning, who was among the thousands of Mormon pioneers in the mass exodus from Nauvoo, Illinois to Utah, established a gunsmith shop in Ogden in 1852. John Moses worked in his father's Ogden shop from the age of seven, where he was taught basic engineering and manufacturing principles, and encouraged to experiment with new concepts. He developed his first rifle, a single-shot falling block action design, then founded his own manufacturing operation, in partnership with his younger brother Matthew Sandifer Browning, and began to produce this firearm.

just gitgud fggt
>>
>>34877369
>calculus and differential equations.

huh boiiiii, like if u want to calculate the rate of expansion and pressures on the piston face to know the work exerted over time on the bolt carrier when u could just open the gas port little by little until it cycles good
>>
Not really sure if this is CADG related but I've been trying to make a gyrojet 12ga shotgun slug. Only problem is all the numbers I run has the barrel blowing up due to overpressure (I'm doing a two-stage design, primer/powder clears the round from the barrel and ignites the primary stage which hits the target). So now I'm knee deep into places that will make custom smoothbore barrels. As it turns out, that shit's fucking expensive.
>>
>>34879658
That just seems pointless. The whole point of a shotgun is close and medium range engagements, and with a gyrojet you didn't get any power until it got a good distance from the muzzle.
>>
>>34877369
Hint: people designed guns before there were things such as "mechanical engineering degrees" (although being an apprentice for years was somewhat similar, just more hands on and less theory).
>>
>>34879699

Yes exactly. I'm not making an explosive device, but I'm trying to make it into a light mortar.
>>
>>34876825
As the thread creator: No.
>>
>>34877463
Kodiak is already making VZ58's.
>>
>>34873653
Newbie machinist here. How easy is it to thread .22LR barrels for 1/2-28 threads? I'm in trade school right now and want to recrown and thread my 10/22 so i can buy a supressor in a couple months.
>>
>>34880233
On a lathe? Super easy. Cut the outer diameter, give it a chamfer on the front edge that goes just past the thread's minor diameter, give it an undercut just smaller in diameter than the thread's minor diameter and then just run the threading canned cycle.

What you need to remember is that the canned cycle makes the cutter come out at an angle, so you have to calculate the position of the cutter at the end of that little bit of travel and make sure that it won't crash against the wall of the undercut.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.