[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Scout Rifle concept still relevant?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 20

File: Scout.jpg (74KB, 564x305px) Image search: [Google]
Scout.jpg
74KB, 564x305px
If not, what made it obsolete?
>>
>>34018205
>Is the Scout Rifle concept still relevant?
no, and it never was
>what made it obsolete?
it was obsolete at inception
>>
>>34018218
pretty much
>>
File: 1470780729564.jpg (38KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1470780729564.jpg
38KB, 540x540px
>>34018205
Oh look, this thread again.
>>
Sure it's still perfectly viable as a concept and in spirit, BUT only when you realize that times have changed and the concept doesn't have to be rigidly adhered to.

That is where it falls short, the rigid definition people choose to run with instead of the heart of the concept
>>
>>34018205
Weight and reliability have come a long way. You can have a light weight semi auto now. An AR308 can easily make weight, and still be reliable.

Low power, long eye relief scopes are out of fashion. Modern red dot or holographic sights are reliably and long lasting enough be a robust optic.

Stripper clip fed guns aren't really available anymore. Sure there is old surplus, buy why butcher a classic when they are getting rarer and rarer?

The idea of the scout rifle was that of a single, robust, do all rifle. I would say that the modern AR-15 carbine does that well enough.

That said, I still want one. More as a fun gun than a practical one.
>>
>>34018880
>I would say that the modern AR-15 carbine does that well enough.

I think part of the Scout Rifle was taking game and a degree of defense against wildlife, so .223 rather limits
>>
they're a big combination of fun concepts. bolt action, light weight, large caliber, iron sights etc. all those factors make for a fun rifle. that doesn't mean it's a good choice for combat and if for some unfortunate reason you're seeking a rifle for combat, look elsewhere.
>>
>>34018205
of course, they make you run faster than the knife, why wouldnt that be relevant
>>
>>34018205
Yes, they still make great rifles for lugging around in the woods. Their lightweight and short length make them easy to maneuver and carry while the forward mounted optic or red dot (not sure if that would fit the original concept) would allow for fast acquisition and awareness of your surroundings. Also Cooper said that semis were welcome in the concept, the only problem is that very few make the weight, I really doubt AR10s would. What people misunderstand about the Scout Rifle concept is that it isn't a purpose built defensive rifle. It could be employed that way in a pinch, but it's not specifically tailored for long firefights.
>>
File: 18j3.jpg (83KB, 800x488px) Image search: [Google]
18j3.jpg
83KB, 800x488px
>>34018956
Impossible
>>
>>34018889
im not >>34018880
Handloader here, it is possible to kill medium game with a 5.56 (or high pressure load .223), with 69, 75, and 77gr hpbt/otm bullets out of a 18 in+ barrel out to about 3-400 yards. This is of course for a humane kill on say a white-tail. If you're killing goatfuckers you could squeeze out another 1-200 yards with the same load 'cause fuckem if they live or not.
>>
Lightweight full power carbines are never obsolete. The scout rifle is one way to set one up.
>>
anyone care to tell me what's the difference betweent a bolt rifle with a scope and a scout rifle?
>>
>>34019214
forward-mounted scope and stripper clips.
>>
>>34019214
This >>34019229 and weight constraints. Something more modern would be a Kimber Adirondack with a light 3-9 scope.
>>
>>34018205
no
>>
Also overall length
>>
In this thread; people who know nothing about shooting a rifle.
>>
>>34018205
>>34018218
>obsolete
canucks would like to have a word with you about arming drunk eskimos with pawn shop repellent stocks to club seals with
>>
It's relevant if properly applied. The scout rifle is a survival rifle, NOT a combat rifle. There's a difference between a survival rifle and a combat rifle, just like there's a difference between a survival knife and a fighting knife. Yes, you *can* defend yourself with a scout rifle, just like you can stab someone with a survival knife. But that's not primarily what it's for.

This thread will be filled with mall ninja suburban commandos who will insist that the AR makes the scout rifle obsolete because they don't understand the difference between these types of rifles and think the scout rifle is just another "fudd gun".
>>
Scout rifle is literally just a fudd deer rifle with mallninja marketing.
>>
>>34021033
>fuddsurvivalist marketing

Fixed it for you. Mallninjas would want an AR decked out with gadgets to wazoo.
>>
>>34020986
this
>>
File: 100th.jpg (64KB, 960x434px) Image search: [Google]
100th.jpg
64KB, 960x434px
It's not relevant. It's a lightweight hunting rifle. That's all.
>>
I find the concept aesthetic, but why not use an AR10?
>>
File: consider.jpg (146KB, 654x539px) Image search: [Google]
consider.jpg
146KB, 654x539px
>>34020986
Essentially it's fuddninja bait.
Is that a term? I think it should be.

>Bubba enters gunshop carrying a case, whistling the tune of "She thinks my tractor's sexy."
>Sees two women behind the counter, staring deadpan at him.
>"velcome to Ivan's mosin crate, vhat can ve be of doing for you?" The blonde one asks.
>"I need to be getting a bipod fer' my hunting rafle" he says, bringing the mosin out of the case and presenting it on the counter without noticing the imperceptible rage poking out on the face of the one with dark brown hair, barely kept below the surface by indomitable will.
>The blonde woman turns to her and says "We heve Bubba, go get Ivan from back, he will want to see zhis." Before the dark haired woman agrees and disappears from sight.

If you've read Ivan Chesnokov, you know this already.
>Rifle is fine.
>Become stronger couch loving american.
Truth be told, I fucking HATE when people do this to fucking mosins. In 2005 I could get one for $50... AND I'M IN CALIFORNIA. Now they're going for $300 on a GOOD deal because those faggots all think the rifle's too heavy for them, or whatever other bullshit and fucking ruin the barrels, actions put them in those DISGUSTING archangel stocks and act like it's the coolest thing ever, why don't they just buy a remishit 700 and fuck THAT up? It's already a piece of shit from the factory! Hell, they even make the shit from the factory to be that shitted up.

>Read this before positng
Holy shit, that went off the rails, actually, I just changed my own perspective on scout rifles. They need to be cheap as hell so bubba doesn't get to more mosins, enfields, springfields and mausers!
>>
>>34021230
>Implying that a lightweight hunting rifle is not "relevant".
The question is: relevant to what? I'll be the first to admit, it's not relevant to the RAHOWA fantasies of suburban commandos who cream their PJs listening to Moonman songs on YouTube and imagining blasting their way through crowds of dindus. But that doesn't mean that it isn't relevant to anything worthwhile.
>>
>>34021501
I don't think the mall ninjas and the nazis are the same boat necessarily, then again WHAT even is RAHOWA and second, why not just use something more versatile? You could use an SMG to clear a house, or an intermediate carbine to clear a house AND shoot at the guy a few hundred yards out. Or you could just hunt with an AR-10 or a G3 or what have you. In any case, scout rifles aren't relevant, but could be used for hunting. In any case, they need to be cheaper so mosins aren't going for bajillions of dollars in the near future because these faggots keep fucking "sporterizing" them.
>>
>>34021534

RAHOWA=Racial Holy War

Read a book, man
>>
>>34021740
Ah, I think I heard that somewhere but didn't make the connection. What book should I read?
>>
>>34021492
Mosins are shit milsurp. Save your money, buy a proper rifle, and stop your bellyaching.
>>
>>34020930
thats a normal hunting rifle
nothing about it is "scout"
>>
>>34018205

>what made it obsolete

The AWB ending in 2004.
>>
>>34023042
>The AWB ending in 2004.
ITT: People who honestly don't understand why anybody would would buy any gun other than an AR or a Glock.
>>
>>34023054

By all means, suggest to the DoD that general issue rifles are going to be bolt actions moving forward. Let us know how that goes.
>>
>>34018205
> Is the Scout Rifle concept still relevant?
Not for 99,999% people.

>If not, what made it obsolete?
Fact that you can own more than one gun and chances of you ever participating in a bush war are more than slim.
>>
>>34023054
>ITT: Indignant fudd rage
You're welcome
>>
File: IMG_1073b.jpg (2MB, 1917x2273px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1073b.jpg
2MB, 1917x2273px
Yes, Nice hunting gun in thick brush.
>>
>>34023078
>civies use rifles just as military does
leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel
>>
>>34023090
>dayzfacebug.jpg
>>
It's pretty much a gimmicky hunting rifle thought up in the days of shitty low power optics, heavy as all fuck self-loaders, and expensive magazines.
>>
>>34023096

So you want another AWB to, what, make your favorite rifle relevant again?
>>
>>34023111

>in the days of shitty low power optics, heavy as all fuck self-loaders, and expensive magazines

All that being true, I'd still take a magazine fed semiautomatic over a bolt action for the role scout rifles are meant to fill.
>>
>>34023129
nice strawman, but how it disproves what I wrote
>>
>>34023078
>By all means, suggest to the DoD that general issue rifles are going to be bolt actions moving forward. Let us know how that goes.
I wouldn't do that, because unlike a lot of people here, I understand that there isn't one rifle that's ideal for every purpose. As I said in >>34020986, a combat rifle and a survival rifle are not the same thing, won't have the same features, and won't work the same way. Which is fine, because under our wonderful capitalist system, a wide variety of rifles with a wide variety of features that work in a wide variety of ways will be produced and sold. Also, I'm not a NEET poorfag, so I can afford more than one rifle, which means that I don't have to justify my pathetic lack of cash by claiming that the one solitary rifle I can afford to own is completely perfect at every task in the world, leaving no reason why I or anyone else would ever even need a second rifle. I don;t have to be the man who only has a hammer, to whom the entire world looks like a nail.

So again, to make clear, I'm not slagging on the AR here. It does what it was designed to do very well. But it doesn't do everything well, nor was it designed to.
>>
>>34018889
If I was being set upon by a large animal such as a grizzly bear or moose, I would still prefer a semi auto 5.56 over a manual action .308 or .30-06. 5.56 still has more than adequate penetration and allows for continual follow up shots if you miss your mark or the you roll zero damage like some people think happens.
>>
>>34023234
>thinks 5.56 has "adequate penetration" on a grizzly bear
>can't cycle a bolt fast enough for "continual follow-up shots"
wew lad
>>
>>34018967
A scar 17 would probably be about as light as most scout rifles from back in the day.
>>
>>34023244
>thinks 5.56 has "adequate penetration" on a grizzly bear
Yeah, why wouldn't it? I'm not talking about hunting it ethically or preserving the meat, I'm talking about killing it as fast as possible. 5.56 doesn't just bounce off bones like you seem to think it does.

>can't cycle a bolt fast enough for "continual follow-up shots"
Not as fast as I can pull a trigger, and neither can anyone else in the world.
>>
>>34019038
How retarded would a 230 grain bullet going at 2000ish fps be for killing things with a .30-30?
>inb4 improved Ackley and 7-30 waters
I know, I don't care.
>>
>>34023157

>buzzwords

>>34023191

Holy jesus I don't care that much calm down lel
>>
The scout rifle idea is fucking stupid, but I'm not complaining seeing as this meme seems to be the only reason companies are putting irons back on their bolt actions.
>>
>>34018205
>Has the idea of putting a pistol scope with ridiculous eye relief on a bolt action rifle that can't even be fed with stripper clips ever been relevant
No, no it has not.
>>
ITT: People who believe that anyone who owns any gun other than an AR and/or a Glock and uses it for any purpose other than getting ready for a SHTF/WROL/RAHOWA scenario is a "fudd".
>>
>>34020930
>costs 2700 Bucks

I want one but Jesus. The price is insane.
>>
>>34023606
The same basic rifle minus a couple of accessories can be had for a third of that price:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/15419/Firearms/Rifles/Beretta/Tikka+T3+Laminated+Stainless+.243
>>
>>34023244
>Grizzly's are bulletproof to anything under .50 cal
>>
>>34023246
The Scar 17 is 8lbs. unloaded without an optic. The Steyr Scout by comparison is 6.6lbs. It also has a 19" barrel over the Scar's 16" which isn't ideal for .308
>>
>>34023090
I thought you shot your dog for a second
>>
>>34023547
>>buzzwords
Sorry but this word doesn't mean what you think it does.

Your post was a strawman, because I never wrote that I want AWB reinstated, or that scout rifle is my favorite gun.

There are plenty of guns that are not very useful for militaries but are still useful for civilians (revolvers, .380 and .32 autos, non-reapeting shotguns and rifles, etc.).

Scout rifle is very niche gun that majority of people (civilian or military) have little use for. That doesn't make it irrelevant.
>>
This right here, with a scope it's literally better in every way and it was made in the goddamn fifties.
>>
>>34023618
But i wan't iron sights and that fabulous colored stock.
>>
>>34023090
Well, of course it's relevant here, it's the best an average person can get.
>>
>>34023090
I don't see any brush
>>
>>34018205
A rifle is a rifle, it's not like it's not gonna shoot or have effect.
That said, I think the Scout Rifle is of kind of dubious value when automatics are commonplace and affordable.

I can have a Mini-30 and I'll have power close to a 16" barreled .308 rifle, while having a semi-automatic action, 10 and 20 round mags, passable accuracy, it can have it's optic mounted over the action or in front of it, has less noise and recoil, all while being substantially cheaper than Ruger's own Scout Rifle, even including glass and magazines.

There isn't anything actually wrong with the Ruger Scout, it's a good rifle, and if you really want one by all means go for it, but from a purely practical standpoint you're overpaying for the kind of rifle you're getting.
The same goes for the Savage Scout and the Steyr Scout (which is a pretty swanky rifle, if we're gonna be honest).

>>34018880
This.

>>34018889
With a full length 20" barrel and the right loads, 5.56 can make a pretty heinous mess with each hit.
That said, he mentioned a .308 AR and there are also affordable, high quality G3 clones (PTR91).
>>
>>34020930
Those things have longer barrels to make good effect out of the .308 cartridge
>>
But wait
If you're shooting .223 what does a scout rifle have over an AR-15
>>
>>34021492
>autistic rambling
>pretend ivan style post
>MUH GARBAGE ROD
I'm going to make sure to sporterize a 91/30 just because of your post, anon.
>>
>>34024774
In that case, absolutely nothing, because building a lightweight AR is trivial, pencil barrels and plastic fore-ends can make for a very light rifle, no need for 12lbs ArfCom builds with one of each optic on a 30" quadrail
>>
A scout rifle seems great for people in ban states.
>>
>>34018205

The Scout Rifle concept came out when "black rifles" were much less available then they are today, especially in .308 and actually accurate. Your average gun store would have one or two new choices and maybe milsurp. "Black rifles" where not mainstream.

In a real survival situation, they are probably more appropriate than most black rifles. You are going to be hiding, foraging, and avoiding contact .

Ammo will be precious and if there is contact, you will be trying to get out there as fast as possible or you will die.

When it came out, people bought it because it was not a "black rifle". Now people won't buy it because it isn't a black rifle and see if as a Fudd gun.
>>
>>34018205

No because semi auto rifles with acogs or other low magnification scopes
>>
>>34021534
Nobody is sporterizing Nuggets in any meaningful quantity in 2017, Ruger and Savage sell good hunting rifles at competitive prices, meaning for just a little bit more you can have a way better rifle in modern calibers like .308 and .270

The reason Nuggets went up in price is because supply caught up with demand, they're not being imported by the container load every week anymore. NOBODY is chopping up Nuggets at a rate that affects the market, because they're no longer $100 rifles so all their flaws and limitations stand barren next to a Ruger American.

Collectors want Nuggets most, there is no longer a massive surplus outstripping demand, so the rifle is actually closer to a realistic value.
Regular 91/30s are probably not gonna go past $400 in decades.
>>
>>34021740
Ben Klassen was an autistic faggot, but I'll give you points for not citing the more obvious (but far more retarded) Turner Diaries.

>>34023244
You fucking put a Mk.262 through a 20" barrel on a Grizzly and he ain't ever using that leg again.
>>
>>34024884
>but I'll give you points for not citing the more obvious (but far more retarded) Turner Diaries.
I masturbate to metro riot police caving in ANTIFA skulls and nothing gets me going like the thought of the UN finally imploding on itself in a spastic fit of bureaucratic inefficiency.

But that faggot made the lefties so cartoonishly evil in that spergfest of a book it was hilarious.
>>
File: H014S-Long-Ranger-Hero.jpg (456KB, 2460x683px) Image search: [Google]
H014S-Long-Ranger-Hero.jpg
456KB, 2460x683px
>>34023556
Even more of a reason for me to appreciate the Henry Long Ranger, laser accuracy and they offer it with iron sights.

If they made it in .270 and with a 6rd mag, it would be my ultimate hunting rifle.
>>
>>34018889
I think people these days should be coming to the understanding that we've been able to make 5.56 loads that practically mimic the most popular hunting round in history for a while now...
>>
>>34024903
>I masturbate to metro riot police caving in ANTIFA skulls and nothing gets me going like the thought of the UN finally imploding on itself in a spastic fit of bureaucratic inefficiency.
Don't need racial hatred to enjoy those thoughts fäm.

>But that faggot made the lefties so cartoonishly evil in that spergfest of a book it was hilarious.
It's like a Wyatt A. Mann sketch turned into a book, indeed.
>>
>>34021492
You wrote all that shit because you're too fucking stupid to even understand the Era where the concept was born. Jesus christ
>>
>>34018205
Only to scouts. Are you a scout? I doubt it.
>>
>>34024908
Lever guns look so stupid without the tube. This thing needs more wood, or an underlug, or a shroud, something....
>>
>>34026093
>Lever guns look so stupid without the tube.
Winchester 1895 looks awesome.
>>
>>34018205
I can't think of anything they'll do that a properly set up AR won't do, but I'm no expert. I do know I think scout rifles are super cool and I want one, but that is purely from an enthusiast view point and not about it's practical application.
>>
>>34021962
So're mausers, the bores are all in pretty rough shape and they have wear on them from people using them, doesn't mean I'm not still angry over bubba's back yard "gunsmithing"
>>
>>34026054
The era of plentiful automatic weapons made for the uses of a scout rifle? The requirement to be able to hit a MAN sized target at 450 yards seems to be a direct implication of antipersonnel use to me. If so, WHY would anyone use such a retarded system when longer range systems of the same type, some of which are even automatics outclass it there and in closer quarters an automatic weapon, also plentiful at the time, will STILL rape it.
>>
The Scout Rifle was meant to be a convenient rifle to carry (light & short), and could be employed in hunting as well as woods defense and general self-defense within reason. It's a do it all rifle, that probably errs more on the side of outdoorsy activities, not a full blown battle rifle. AR10s and Scar 17s are heavy and not as handy and killing medium to large sized game (even people) with a 5.56 AR15 isn't ideal. Some people seem completely unable to grasp the concept that a firearm might be built with another purpose than engaging in a full blown firefight.
>>
>>34028351
Fudd.... Ninjas... Think about it, we could make movies about this kinda shit.
>>
>>34028351
SCARs are light (8lbs) and handy though.
>>
>>34028566

Steyr Scout weight: 6.6lbs. Plus it has a 19in. barrel which is definitely better for .308. Don't get me wrong, if I were getting a purely defensive rifle in the caliber I'd get the SCAR or an AR10, but as an innawoods gun having something like a Scout Rifle would be more to my taste.
>>
>>34028767
A 19" barrel is going to give you like 75dps more. Not that big of a deal.

A pound and a half does make a difference. But saying that an 8lb rifle is too heavy to be a handy rifle is a bit much.
>>
>>34020986
This, with the caveat that it's not necessary to adhere to the specific set up envisioned by Cooper. See this video from Luckygunner: https://youtu.be/-x7N8hLI2yM
>>
>>34026093
Agreed, it'd be neat if they offered it with a mannlicher style stock, or a musket style handguard like the Russian contract Winchester 95's.
>>
>>34028767
If you had one of the DPMS GII's with a lightweight barrel & handguard, it'd prob be about 7 lb, say 8 with compact scope & 10 round mag.

I agree that a light & handy bolt gun is great for hunting/predator defense/carrying around the ranch, but a LW AR10 would be better suited to that plus the quasi military uses Cooper envisioned.

Really though, the problem is that Cooper's intended user, the Kit Carson-esque "Scout", doesn't exist today. They hadn't really existed for decades when cooper came up with the idea either, at least not outside Africa.
>>
>>34018205
It's still viable as a "one rifle" concept, but because guns are so cheap it's really not a useful tool to anyone with more than a casual interest in firearms or who isn't EXTREMELY space limited in terms of storage.

It's too fuddy for me, but if I had to arm a bunch of noguns and make their training as quick as possible for SHTF/etc. I'd give them scout rifles.
>>
>>34019214
generally, a scout rifle is:
>able to be fed by stripper clip
>full power rifle
>forward mounted low power optic
>less than 6 lbs, fighting weight (including optic and loaded magazine)
>16 inch barrel

Those aren't the precise qualities, but those are the ones I care about and think are valuable.
>>
>>34030655
That was Cooper's wish list back in the 70s/80s. None of the production scout rifles (including the Steyr Scout) checked all the boxes, particularly re weight & stripper clips.

The forward mounted LER scope made sense at the time but not now.
>>
>>34030655
>able to be fed by stripper clip
>forward mounted low power optic
>those are the ones I care about and think are valuable.

Are you in fact aware that it hasn't been 1986 for 31 years?
>>
>>34028351
>AR10s and Scar 17s are heavy and not as handy
Wow, no.
>>
>>34020930
I wish they chose the Steyr model...dat diopter rear sight is sexy
>>
>>34028351
you had me until the weight and handiness bit, then I kinda wanted you to drive off of a cliff for the 5.56 fuddlore
>>
>>34031471
Name an AR10 that's under 7lbs. The SCAR is 8lbs. Also some people like the feel of a rifle without pistol grips.
>>
>>34031571
Go kill an Elk with 5.56 and tell me how that turns out, not to mention it's not uncommon for multiple hits to be needed incapacitate a person.
>>
>>34031574
Neither of those are heavy, and saying a less handy configuration is more handy because it just makes your peepee hard is retarded.
>>
>>34031586
holy shit, are you going to act like.308 is some guaranteed 1HK wonder and 5.56 hasn't provennitself for the past half century? are you an actualmfudd?
>>
File: 20170514_140559.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170514_140559.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I got one for the soul purpose of a truck gun for randomly shooting at critters. That and it looks super cool with my cooler.
>>
>>34031574
A 7 or 8 pound rifle is hardly overbearingly heavy to the point it's not handy, stop being dense. Fucking intermediate caliber self loaders are around that range, and we're talking about 7.62x51 rifles.
>>
>>34031594
Even a couple pounds adds up not to mention semis with the same barrel length tend to be longer.

>>34031616

5.56 is very far from ideal in everything but varmint hunting, that should tell you something. If it isn't great for one hit KOing a whitetail with its frail anatomy what makes you think it's great for people? Not knocking the advantages of the AR15 platform, but there is a big difference between the terminal ballistics of .308 vs. 5.56. There's no free lunch and to think that less recoil, lighter weight, and higher capacity come with no drawbacks is kind of dumb.
>>
>>34031668
I genuinely can't tell if you're trolling here. Kill yourself regardless.
>>
>>34031668
>5.56 is very far from ideal in everything but varmint hunting
you lead me on this long, guess that warrants a solid 6/10.
>>
>>34031653
No saying it's overbearingly heavy, but if ounces and pounds didn't count, there wouldn't be a lightweight hunting rifle market for people who carry the rifle for miles to get one shot on a mountain goat. It's really as if people can't get it into their heads that there's more than just the purpose built battle rifle out there. You wouldn't call a Toyota Camry a bad car because it can't go 200mph.
>>
>>34031707
The worst part is that you have some solid points regarding why scout rifles shouldn't be knocked for being what they are, but those points are dragged down by the rest of your shit that's just abject retardation
>>
>>34031730
If you want to use a rifle chambered in 5.56 as a general purpose rifle be my guest. Have fun with your blood trails.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (114KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
114KB, 1280x720px
>>34031763
Just go to bed, dude. Sleep it off.
>>
>>34018205
Yes, but the number of people who need it is very, very small. For gross majority of people it's kinda useless.
>>
>>34020986
Yeah, if we'd still have a frontier somewhere, scout rifles would be quite popular there.
>>
>>34031668
>5.56 is very far from ideal in everything but varmint hunting, that should tell you something
WELP, thanks for mercing the thread. Faggot.
>>
>>34031779
>>34031763
5.56 is basically .223 and .223 is a common and legal hunting round for deer, so quite being such a faggot.
>>
>>34024752
>G3 clones (PTR91).
Are you retarded or what?
G3 is heavy as fuck and can't be lightened.
>>
>>34031668
People have been reliably tagging white tail with .223 since before you were born, are you pretending to be dumb?
>>
>>34031821
>>34031838
>>34031861

The more time I spend here, the more I'm convinced the memes are true. I bet a stupid amount of people here have a higher post count than round count irl. I bet even more have never actually been hunting.
>>
>>34018956
not in csgo
>>
>>34018205
>Light weight bolt action rifle in .308
>Replaced by light weight semi-auto or even auto rifle in .308
>Verdict: A complete upgrade

>Forward mounted scope in order to have both magnification and quick target acquisition
>Replaced by wide FOV optics, magnified red dots, backup red dot sights
>Verdict: Overall a positive change

>Clip fed in order to not need mags
>There are semi-autos currently that have this feature and magazine tech made them lightweight. If you desperately need to load loose bullets into your gun right fucking now, you're kinda toast, otherwise just withdraw the mag and load it instead
>Verdict: Made redundant by modern materials

The weapon concept is an old one and it was made obsolete naturally by us developing better tech.

You can't even argue for it being more accurate than semi auto because there's a huge fucking scope mounted right on the barrel and most manufacturers never heard of free-float barrels.
>>
>>34031861
>People have been reliably tagging white tail with .223 since before you were born

Deer hunting with .223 is illegal in some states.
>>
>>34032001
That's because it will blow the deer up.
>>
>>34018205
For me its a 5lbs jack-of-all-trades rifle that is easy to move around with but can hit acurately and hard.

I dont think we have the technology to make one just a psuedo-scout.
>>
>>34018205
Is the Scout Rifle concept still relevant?
>no. depends on what you mean. like as a truck gun? sure. for running around on horseback in a brush war in africa? no.
If not, what made it obsolete?
>scouts are obsolete. bolt actions for reconnaissance are just gonna get you killed. but SCOUTS as a unit are fucking obsolete. telling some guy to fuck off into enemy territory with a lightweight bolt action doesnt make sense.

that being said still a great weapon concept. I mean its just a brush gun. short, powerful, enough range to touch somebody and you can hump it all day up and down hills.
for you as a civilian sure. get one. make one. cool stuff to have.
but militarily? shit the M1A socom blows any options out of the water. god I want one. why so expensive?
>>
>>34020930
That's just a tikka.
>>
>>34018205
My used norinco SKS that I bought for $250 is a far better all around SHTF rifle than a scout rifle will ever be, and for much less money.
>>
>>34031895
You agreeing with the people you quoted or not?
>>
>>34032001
And the remaining 40 states have deemed it legal.
>>
>>34018205
For a lightweight hunting setup, it could be useful. As a fighting tool, the manual action is what holds itt back
>>
>>34020930

>That dude in the back with CADPAT and denim

Pretty based desu
>>
>read through thread
>unironic "le poodle shooter" memes
This is why I love scout rifle thread, they're the last holdout of genuine fudds on this board
>>
>>34018880
> AR-15
> robust and reliable
Oh god, not this meme again... AR fags stay in your containment thread.
>>
>>34021740
If it were RaHoWa, it would be more clear. Otherwise, you try to figure out what every letter stands for, since that's how most acronyms work. Also, what kind of books are you even reading?
>>
I'd kill for a 5lb 7.62x39 desu. Especially if it took clips or short AK mags.
>>
>>34023690
>the previous faggot needs anything above .50 so he can pleasure his cunt
>>
>>34032193
>>no. depends on what you mean. like as a truck gun? sure. for running around on horseback in a brush war in africa? no.
>If not, what made it obsolete?
>>scouts are obsolete. bolt actions for reconnaissance are just gonna get you killed. but SCOUTS as a unit are fucking obsolete. telling some guy to fuck off into enemy territory with a lightweight bolt action doesnt make sense.

Why are people doing reverse-greentext so often now? What you're replying to should be greened, not your reply to it. You're doing it backwards.
>>
>>34020930
why do they look like fucking ghouls
>>
>>34026093
No it doesn't, the barrel is 100% free floating, which is why it's the most accurate lever-action rifle ever made.

What you want is the Browning BLR.

>>34024805
Until you remember a Mini-14 and Mini-30 does the same thing but cheaper and better.
>>
>>34028351
>(even people) with a 5.56 AR15 isn't ideal
Don't post on my board ever again.
>>
>>34031668
>What is M193?
>What is Mk262?
And that's not even getting into other hilarious loads people use, and have used, ever since the 60's.
Do you know how many ways you can make a .223 bullet out of billet copper?

>>34031842
Sure it can, plastic folding stock and a 16" barrel, beyond that you should eat your vegetables.

>>34031895
>DURRRRR 5.56 IS A POODLESHOOTER
>URRRRRRRRRRR KIDS THESE DAYS
Go be a cyclopean faggot somewhere else.
>>
>>34035232
>M193
This, I don't think the luddites in this thread can even begin to understand how fucking nasty that round is when it comes to ballistics, especially out of a 20 inch barrel. Deer get fucked with no issue, and by extension people, and we've known this shit for fucking decades.
>>
File: _vyr_235CZ_527_Carbine.jpg (163KB, 3543x965px) Image search: [Google]
_vyr_235CZ_527_Carbine.jpg
163KB, 3543x965px
A 7.62x39mm rifle strikes me as a far better idea given the ballistics of .308 from a 16" barrel, you get less flash and bang, with vastly cheaper ammo and similar performance.

A Cz527 could do most things a Scout could do but cheaper.
>>
>>34035377
Literally the most underrated "scout rifle"
>>
File: CavAidCarbine.jpg (42KB, 640x228px) Image search: [Google]
CavAidCarbine.jpg
42KB, 640x228px
>>34035308
Well M193 was just a historical example, it does well enough but you can do better today, like Mk.262 Mod 1, which can perform pretty decently from a short barrel (in a fighting rifle context, not hunting).

A 20" AR can be light, fast, reliable, precise, and VERY deadly.
Pic related is a start, but you can go lighter still.
>>
>>34018205
It's obsolete because rugged, reliable, accurate and lightweight semi-automatic rifles chambered in full size calibers exist now.
>>
>>34031779
Lose some weight
>>
>why would you want [gun] when ARs exist

This shit is really really getting old.
>>
>>34035457
Damn that looks good, i'd otherwise that's pretty perfect but i'd prefer rifle length gas system and a slick top.
>>
ITT:

>There is no need for anything other than 5.56, if you think you need a bigger round to take game you're a fudd.

Bell took plenty of elephants with a 7mm Mauser but that doesn't make it a good round for it. Good job trying to pass off an intermediate cartridge as a do it all rifle round people. Use 5.56 for its intended defensive purposes and varmint hunting and it shines. Try using it as a round that will reliably put down medium to large sized game (especially at range) and you'll see its limitations. FWIW I own an AR that I wouldn't hesitate to use for defense over a bolt action, but it certainly wouldn't be my choice for the woods.
>>
>>34018205
A (((((scout rifle))))) is an AR rifle with a scope rail on top of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS!!!!!!!!!!

The reason that Jeff Cooper made his shitty forward scoped bolt action rifle was that there were no light weight automatics available in the 80s. If Jeff was alive now he would trash his stupid designs and be using an AR like everyone else.
>>
God I hate AR fanboys so goddamn much
>>
>>34036243
>I went full retard and said 5.56 was only good at killing varmints and people pushed my shit in, therefore everyone thinks 5.56 = .308 and are stupid
Nigger
>>
File: IMG_2243.jpg (78KB, 381x378px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2243.jpg
78KB, 381x378px
>>34036291

Here ya go

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-10
>>
>>34036357
The scout rifle is supposed to be chambered in a "do it all" cartridge. That is not the domain of the 5.56.
>>
>>34036357
Sure it can kill people, and when used in close to medium range in a semi-auto like an AR15, it's effective. But if you want a little more certainty on what you just hit going down the first time, .308 helps. How many snipers use a rifle chambered in 5.56?
>>
>>34036420
That's nice sug, damn shame you had to go and spew that archaic lepoodleshooter maymay and try to convince people that deer and boar totally weren't being dropped all over the country with it.
>>
ITT: AR fags miss a critical point of the scout rifle concept and fuddy Cooper dickriders parrot 40 year old bullshit about a round that they've only ever used in the form of shitty Tulammo at the 50 yard line.

What I'm saying is everyone in this thread needs to fucking kill themselves.
>>
>>34036441
>short to medium range
funny because that's kinda the intended envelope for the scout rifle....
>>
>>34018205
I think the best niche the scout rifle fills at the moment is something for gun autists to argue about on the internet.

>>34019229
>>34030655
>>34031446

As far as I know, Cooper wanted iron sights only, but I haven't been able to find a primary source. Anyone have it? I assume it was an article in American Rifleman or something.

I don't know where the long eye relief scope came from. Probably some people who wanted magnification, but still wanted to use stripper clips, then everyone abandoned the stripper clips for magazines and the scope stuck around as a vestigial feature. Or maybe people were using pistol scopes as proto-red dots because they weren't really viable yet.

I dunno, man. The 80s were crazy.
>>
>>34036481
>everyone in this thread needs to fucking kill themselves.
Including you?
>>
>>34036481
>What I'm saying is everyone in this thread needs to fucking kill themselves.

Does this even need to be stated on 4chan?
>>
>>34036528
Low power optics at the time were pretty dogshit and had retarded eye relief. So Cooper decided to mount the further forward to compensate, packaged it as a "for wider FOV and situational awareness!" feature, and focused on using pistol optics because rifle optics then were still basically high powered clunkers with few exceptions. The "scout mount" optical setup is a reluc of a time when that was needed to overcome technological limitations. People still insist on using it because Cooper has a particularly dedicated following that don't appreciate the fact a modern 1-4x would have made his cock rock hard.
>>
File: 527AmericanRustic-500x333.png (12KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
527AmericanRustic-500x333.png
12KB, 500x333px
>>34035377
>>34035388
Especially since CZ sells it in 6.5 Grendel now, which has damn near .308 range.
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american-rustic/
>>
>>34036681
That's more or less what I thought, the whole package screams "product of it's time".

Seems like a modern scout rifle would be something with a short action in a lightweight stock, with a light barrel, detachable magazines, and 1-4 or 1-6 scope.

I'd personally go with one of the new 6.5 rounds, but Cooper would probably still want a 30 caliber bullet.

>>34036749
That's actually pretty neat, even though I struggle to see the point of that round.
>>
File: IMG_2244.jpg (114KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2244.jpg
114KB, 500x503px
>>34036481
Careful with that edge there kid...
>>
>>34036864
>even though I struggle to see the point of that round.
It's got the same BC and sectional density as 6.5 Creedmoor, but it fits in 7.62x39 mags and has less recoil. For humans, targets, or medium game it's like 6.5CM but you can get ~20cpr Wolf plinking ammo.
>>
>>34036243
Plenty of people suggested AR10s you disingenuous fag.
>>
>>34018205
Of course it's relevant, the gun manufacturers can cut down the barrel of a hunting rifle, add "tactical" iron sights, and charge twice as much for it.
>>
File: IMG_0966.png (171KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0966.png
171KB, 750x1334px
The definition of /k/
>>
>>34036243
Protip; ARs come in a huge variety of calibers other than 5.56 you stupid nigger.
>>
>>34036358
>commonly available in the 80's
>>
>>34036312
God I hate fudds so goddamn much
>>
>>34037929
It's possible to not like ARs without being a fudd.
>>
>>34037929
>calling people fudds without knowing what it means
Yeah, you're an AR fanboy alright
>>
>>34018205
AR .450 Bushmaster
>>
>>34023339
Unless you're single loading or using a T/C about the best you can do is 190gr flat point around 19-2000
>>
ITT:
Fudds and mallninjas arguing like 1911 and Glock fanboys.
>>
File: Mini-30 Tactical.jpg (33KB, 825x176px) Image search: [Google]
Mini-30 Tactical.jpg
33KB, 825x176px
>wanting a 16" barreled "do it all" rifle in .308
>when there are 7.62x39mm automatics that can do everything it does with the same ballistics
>>
>>34038545
>can't eat steelcase
>>
>>34038556
It can tho
>>
>>34038579
Did they fix the light primer strikes issue?
>>
>>34038583
Lots of people seem to have no problems with it, but there's ways to deal with it if you have it, most people go for the Wolff hammer spring.
>>
>>34018205

don't care for the concept but my steyr scout in 7mm-08 with a regular rear mounted scope is a fantastic hunting rifle
>>
File: CZ527.jpg (74KB, 1200x372px) Image search: [Google]
CZ527.jpg
74KB, 1200x372px
>16" barrel in .308
Dumb for a general purpose rifle. There's no reason you can't have a light rifle in .308 with a 18" barrel

>forward scope mount
Extra dumb with the optics we have today, I'd rather have a free-floated barrel.

>stripper clips
If I want to strip clips I'll buy milsurp, detachable mags isn't a problem these days.

>iron sights
Good idea, more companies should offer that.
>>
>>34037618
I have yet to see one as light as a Steyr Scout, let alone with the same barrel length and features.
>>
>>34031631
Good trigger, decent features... you sir have made a solid choice.
>>
A scout bullpup might work.
>>
>>34023090
Thats the thing. Your long range scoped rifle doesnt count for much when youre surrounded by lignum. Thats the only reason I put a rail on top of my .308.
>>
>>34039617
Thanks man!
Thread posts: 192
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.