[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military enlistment general - meg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 346
Thread images: 34

File: tmp_22361-eHh4v_d-1434875238.jpg (74KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_22361-eHh4v_d-1434875238.jpg
74KB, 640x640px
Curls for girls edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

>Should I go nuke???
No.

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
Just signed my infantry contract for the muhreens. Meme's aside, what's life like as an infantryman?
>>
File: basedsteve.png (538KB, 846x476px) Image search: [Google]
basedsteve.png
538KB, 846x476px
got an 67 in the practice asvab today
>tfw my recrutes might be in this thread right now
also how good is that in reality, not sugar coated.
>>
>>33970528
I saw war. You won't. You'll do Marine Expeditionary Units. You'll train for 4 years for a job you'll never do. But hey, welcome to the club.

t. 0311

>>33970541
67 is bad. As in I'm a former Infantry Marine who scored a 96. You need to go get a book from a mall and study.
>>
Im in dep for BUDS right now, what training programs or booms are available?
>>
>>33970591
Books*
>>
In navy sub school right now. Ama
>>
i want to join the air force, but i have federal student loans from the first two years. can they be deferred or is there anything that can be done with them?

i don't have any aid to finish my last two years of college, so i feel lost.
>>
>>33970737
As long as it's under 10k you should be ok.
>>
>>33970737
you can defer them for 6 months while you are in training. you'll be able to pay them while you are in. DO NOT DO A DEBT REPAYMENT PROGRAM. you will forgo a gi bill if you do.
>>
How long does it take to receive a DQ letter? Went to MEPS two weeks ago and I'm paranoid I might get DQed for something in my blood like high sugar. Ate pancakes on the morning of MEPS.
>>
Do you need to bring you're medical records with you to MEPS if you dont have any medical issues? I have not been to a Dr since I was a kid except to the student clinic during college when I had mono and the ER when I slipped on ice and cut my hand. I tried calling for the records but I was on hold for 20 minutes and gave up.

Assuming I pass all the screening and tests at MEPS, I should be good, right?
>>
>>33970878
>I tried calling for the records but I was on hold for 20 minutes and gave up.
wtf, that shit takes a while man. get your records, especially those after you turned 18.
>>
>>33970753
that makes me feel a lot better. will my ~90 credits help at all going in or are they basically useless since i don't have a degree behind them?

i figured trying to go cyber security would be my best choice. i'm working on becoming a forensic accountant to join the fbi, so i feel like my time would serve me well
>>
What should I do if I wash out of UPT aside from eating a bullet
>>
>>33970934
>will my ~90 credits help
yes, you should be able to get an automatic e-3 with those.

>my time would serve me well
your active army time will count towards your government employment time; which will shorten your required time for retirement. plus you will pick up a higher bracket in the gs (government salary) pay scale. work on your degree while you are in. when you get to your unit, inquire about tuition assistance.
>>
>>33970958
i had a buddy figure out he couldn't fly while he was in college enrolled in nrotc. i'm not really sure on the details but he's local pd now. there's always options dude.
>>
File: Autism Intensifies.jpg (44KB, 599x804px) Image search: [Google]
Autism Intensifies.jpg
44KB, 599x804px
Why do I have degenerace detected role?
>>
Has anybody ever done school while serving in the Army? I'd like to juggle a bachelor's while doing time in the army through their school program, and either extend my contract later or take up a new one and shoot for Warrant Officer schooling once i finish my first 4 years and get my degree.

Is that feasible? Or should I focus on getting a bachelor's beforehand?
>>
>>33971330
you aren't going to be able to have full time enrollment. and most of your classes will have to be online.
>>
>>33971385
I'm fine with that, but would I be able to complete a 4 year degree in 4 years of service typically? Do students typically finish school around the same time as their deployment, or does that depend entirely on what your doing while you serve. I don't mind having to finish the last year or two outside of service, but that makes me wonder if I even need to complete my bachelor's.

Could I accumulate enough credits to get into warrant officer school without a full degree?

And could an associates get me to WO? Or is anything that's not 4-year and above don't-even-bother tier.
>>
>>33971511
And that also brings up another question.
If I'm going to enlist and get a bachelor's together with the intent of making WO later on, would I just be better off doing ROTC?
>>
>>33971385

Not him, but what if your base's front gate is literally 30 mins from the college?
>>
If I get stationed in a non-english-speaking country, will there be classes for learning the native language?

Will there be a lot of opportunities to interact and engage with the locals?

[spoiler]Opportunities to meet qt local girls?[/spoiler]

Id shoot for a position in public relations or something, but I hate paperwork.
>>
>>33971646
>Opportunities to meet qt local girls?
go home gi
>>
>>33971529
Do you want to be a WO or an officer? There's your answer
>>
Do HIPAA laws really protect me from having to disclose any medical information that I don't want to, even if I may be in a rate requiring a Top Secret clearance? I don't want to lie at MEPS, make it through and then get jewed later on down the road.

It's only from a meniscus surgery last year where I made a normal recovery, but I don't care much to go get the records. Nor do I want it to possibly disqualify me ahead of time.
>>
How hard is it to get e2 in Navy boot camp? And is it worth it to volunteer and hope your RDCs promote you to e3? Or does it not really matter
>>
File: 1469024725791.jpg (42KB, 411x411px) Image search: [Google]
1469024725791.jpg
42KB, 411x411px
How do I live with the shame that I decided to go Army instead of Marines?

Should I go Airborne?
>>
Going in as a 13F. Any advice?
>>
>>33971893
Do NOT say shit.
>>
What is wrong with Nuke?
>>
Navy here, going AECF (and no, I'm not qualified for nuke.)

Should I pray for ET or FC?

What's the best kind of FC?
>>
File: 1448863414620.jpg (83KB, 958x572px) Image search: [Google]
1448863414620.jpg
83KB, 958x572px
Just came back from ASVAB testing, got an AFQT of 84.
Is this too low for some jobs in the AF? I want cyber/intel, or maybe even some plane mechanic/maintenance. I just like things that fly damnit.
>>
>>33972025

I think getting E-2 is as simple as knowing the START guide and doing well on the PFT. I just saw a video about getting up to E-3 via being picked by the RDC, and they made it seem like it was just a crapshoot. Also that you don't really volunteer, but you're voluntold.
>>
File: 1345463211983.jpg (134KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1345463211983.jpg
134KB, 1500x1500px
>>33972161
>84
87 here, pic related
>>
>>33972175
I was pissed when I read what I got, I told myself if I didn't get above an 85 I will retake it. I think I just need to talk to a different recruiter though, this one sucks.
>>
Should I bring up my insomnia when asked about issues by my recruiter/at MEPs? I know that "Don't say shit" is the modus operandi, but if I don't bring it up and have it on record, will that make it harder for me to get muh Ambien once I'm enlisted/commissioned?
>>
>>33971511
>4 year degree
no not really. there's just not enough time. unless you get an EXTREMELY cushy gig, you are not going to find enough time to pursue college. the most i've ever heard of in a 4 year initial contract is an associates.

>get into warrant officer
yes

>associates
i'm not entirely sure. i don't really know the requirements for WO. i think you need at least 80 credit hours or at least working toward that amount. don't quote me on that though.

>>33971529
yes, but you can still go through both warrant officer and ocs after being an enlisted. you're more likely to get ahead with going through rotc first though. i believe most people that go warrant officer are rarely able to get to ocs as life just gets in the way.

>>33971610
i was at drum and suny watertown was where most people went locally for college credits. good luck finding night classes for what you want to take. the duty day starts at 0530 and ends at 1700. aside from time for chow, that time period belongs to the army. that doesn't include time spent in the field.
>>
>>33972033
a grunt is a grunt and a pog is a pog. it doesn't matter what branch you fall under unless you want particular schools.

if you think airborne is something you might like, try out for it. just be wary, if you get option 4, you will only be with airborne units. they're not rare, but the army is a lot smaller than you think. plus, you're knees are going to hate you later in life. despite what airborne circlejerks say, there's no shame in being a leg.
>>
>>33972048
>13f
you know you're not a firefighter right? i've heard stories.

our fisters were pulled back to the field artillery unit after the previous afghanistan deployment. they still trained with our mortars and were still somewhat considered a part of our unit. however, after we got back from our iraq deployment, they went right back to the field artillery unit.

you guys get to do some bad ass shit though. there's one training event that you guys do where you call in mortar, artillery, and air support all at once. it's some sort of multi unit cross training. the air force spotters where always a part of it too. jtac is kinda universal.
>>
>>33972137
you get stuck on a boat, and more than likely it's gonna be a sub. if you don't mind being underwater for months at a time without seeing daylight all while being strapped to a nuclear reactor, by all means pursue it. i know an officer who got a degree in NE and ended up being on a sub. he's about to make o-3 if i'm not mistaken. he graduated in 2012 for reference.
>>
Are Intel guys considered POGs
>>
I had a conversation with a PJ once. Now I kind of want to join AFSOC. Is this a normal response to meeting certified badasses?
>>
>>33973010

SOF guys are POGs. Are you a basic infantryman? No? Then you're a POG.
>>
File: aussie SAS man.png (740KB, 1245x754px) Image search: [Google]
aussie SAS man.png
740KB, 1245x754px
You are at your interview.

The SAS man asks "What are your principles, anon?"

What flowery bullshit do you think up on the fly?
>>
>>33973010
Yes. Why in the blue fuck would you not think they were?
>>
>>33973021
I do the job, I get paid.
>>
>>33973021

If I'm thinking up shit on the fly as a response and have made it that far into the process then something has gone horribly wrong.
>>
>>33973023
Because they have top secret clearances, which automatically makes them cooler and better than grunts.
>>
>>33972676
ambien, melatonin, and other sleep aids are not that hard to get a script for. the pa is going to be pretty lenient about that as most people in the military have a problem with getting to sleep as it is. you won't be able to have it during your training cycle though, prohibited.

and don't lie about it, but you sure as shit don't say anything about it. if it's in your medical records you can't lie about it. but the only thing it will do is limit your mos qualifications.
>>
File: beta - look at her forced smile.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
beta - look at her forced smile.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
>>33973021
Because YOLO
>>
>>33973012
yes. i went medic because i met a pa that was a major. i regret even considering medical now. should've went intel or waited for small arms repair to come up.
>>
File: tried.jpg (29KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
tried.jpg
29KB, 550x550px
>>33973072
""you miss 100% of the shots you dont take"- wayne gretzky" -michael scott"
>>
>>33973055
That's not how POG/Not-POG works. At all.

I don't even give a shit about the infantry worship, but if you're not infantry you best accept you that you are a POG rather than seeking validation from guys who's claim to fame is a $0.10 blue cord.
>>
Is there any Naval officers here or anyone who knows a Naval officer?
>>
>>33973129
what question do you have?
>>
>>33973129
>Is there
Are there, Jamalius Jackson?
>>
>>33973148
I've passed all the entrance tests and I'm likely to be offered a position.

Just wondering if there were anyone here with first or second hand experiences
>>
>>33973102
>$0.10 blue cord
kek
you've never had to rebuy that shit. ain't no way that thing costs less than $30.
>>
File: drunk_bakara.jpg (215KB, 1187x979px) Image search: [Google]
drunk_bakara.jpg
215KB, 1187x979px
What's a solid backpack that will last me BMT + Tech School + 4 years service?
>>
>>33973163
ROTC? Naval Academy? OCS?
>>
>>33973081

I lean more towards CCT, but I wonder how much of that is me caring about the job and how much of that is me just wanting to be part of a super elite group.
>>
>>33973176
Canadian, so none of the above.
So I'd be going to Royal Military College after BMOQ, I'm pretty sure

I'm not so curious about the training aspect as what the day to day life would be.
Or just experiences in general
>>
>>33973205
ask me again in a few years
>>
>>33973285
By then, we can just swap stories
>>
Got my ASVAB scores back. Got a 42. What the fuck do I do now? Dad is a Major, he called me a retard. Mom is being overly sympathetic I think and said I can live at home as long as necessary. Im 18, do I even bother retesting? Is a 42 THAT bad?
>>
>>33973370
In the Canadian military, they don't tell us our scores directly.
They just say whether it was good or bad.

Anyways, isn't the ASVAB on a 100 scale?
>>
>>33973370

I think you can get into anything but the Coast Guard, but you're jobs are going to be limited.

>call your retarded son a retard

If your dad is college educated and didn't prep to send you to college then he's also a retard.
>>
>>33973370
how often do you inhale petrol?
>>33973309
yeah wrong person to ask about stories for now. ascension programs sure.
>>
>>33971646
>will there be classes for learning the native language
yes.

>Will there be a lot of opportunities to interact and engage with the locals?
depends. if you're in europe, yes. if you're in korea, no. not too sure about japan. i got a buddy from my old unit in japan right now, but other than his time on leave idk what life is like around the base.

>Id shoot for a position in public relations or something
one of the turtles (a soon to be drill sergeant attached to a training unit) in basic was a jag clerk. she deployed a lot from what i can remember. from what she told us, she was always on the streets of baghdad and kabul talking with the locals about shit us forces did to their property and persons. idk if that's still relevant today though.
>>
>>33973398
>>
>>33973370
well you can be a cook or a driver. study up and retake the test dumbass.
>>
>>33973405
>>33973407
I wanted to do Crypto because Im always coming up with codes and secrets that my jerkass dad cant figure out. Like i have a code called touchdown! where I yell touchdown whenever my dad puts on a pair socks ive secretly cum in. He doesn't know what it is yet and it really pisses him off when i yell touchdown in the morning. I know it may not seem useful but i know it could be. I really think I should retest.
>>
>>33973533
Yeah ask for a retest
I have no idea why you got such a low score
Maybe you had a bad day
It happens
>>
>>33973533
>i jerk off into socks my dad puts on so that makes me qualified to be crypto
>>
>>33973533

My sides are in orbit.
>>
>>33971893
no you are not covered by HIPAA. But really the only way they will find out is if you fuck it up again.
>>
>>33973579
>>33973592
If ya like that I do another one that is secret and football related. I say first down at the dinner table if I can get a boner (they never notice or understand). Like I said, dad is a Major and a total prick and cant stand my constant first downs during dinner. It made him so pissed the Asshead had me tested for tourettes a year ago. I think if i can fool a Major that long that I can do Crypto
>>
>>33973873
you should be a nuke since youre so autistic. too bad your ASVAB scores are too shit for that
>>
>>33973886
>tfw autistic as fuck with no problems of isolation/living ass to ankles and high ASVAB
>shoe in for nuke
>afraid of the ocean
>>
Do they test for nicotine at MEPS?
>>
>>33973533
Yep, youre pretty much ready for DLI
>>
>>33973956
yes you're fucked. the nicotine test the use detects nicotine use up to 5 years prior.
>>
>>33974008

Kek I'll take that as a no thanks anon.
>>
>>33971712
I just wanna fly rotary-wing
>>
>>33973407
>ascension programs

Wanna know how I know you're 'tarded?
>>
Is it true that the Marines can't guarantee your job? Sounds like the best reason to join the Army if there was ever one.
>>
>>33975266
no service guarantee your job. if you fail at any point in your initial training, you might not be able to continue that career path. if you break your leg in basic, they might not let you continue to train to be infantry. if you fail critical tasks in your job training, they might force you into another job as needs of the military.
>>
>In Air Force ROTC
>Only now realise that USAF doesn't do helicopters in combat
Just fuck my shit up
>>
>>33975266
in the Army you can pick a specific job, in the Marines you pick a field. You can select infantry but you can't guarantee if you'll be mortars, rifles, etc. In the infantry aspect the same way goes for the Army though. 11C is strictly mortars, but 11B is just a catch-all and you won't know what you're doing till you get to your unit.
>>
What are the odds of the Air Force finding out I did shrooms and acid before (once each)?
>>
>>33975356
100% you fucking druggie
>>
>>33975356
they'd have to do a spinal tap for acid, and they don't do that. mushrooms are undetectable. and dropping acid once will not show up on said spinal tap.
>>
>>33975347
go for shithooks. they're insanely more fun from what i understand.
>>
>>33975382
The only other way I can think they'd find out is if they asked the people I did it with but I'm not really sure they'd do that. Who do they usually interview when they do clearance interviews?
>>
>>33975353
Why is there a special contract for mortars? Also, so this means I could get a Marine contract for 03xx and they couldn't change their mind and make me a plumber like my recruiter said they could?
>>
>>33975414
don't sweat it man. and i don't really know what they ask for SC, but i think it's more about you're loyalty to the nation; if you left the country, have overseas financial gains, have a spouse/loved one from another country, ever spout isis banter, etc.
>>
>>33975443
mortars and basic infantry go in as 11x. they get picked to be mortars and infantry based on needs of the army. from what i understand, it might have correlation to which companies in basic on average excelled at certain events. mortars all in all have it better because they are technically 11c with an 11b secondary mos. i did have an 11c ssg in my unit that went back to benning to get his 11b specific training after he got through ranger school.
>>
File: 1407193054027.png (744KB, 964x768px) Image search: [Google]
1407193054027.png
744KB, 964x768px
>>33973533
Son all you need to do is take the final test at this point, you'd fit right in.
>mfw this is exactly what each linguist I have ever met is like
>>
Comfiest job in the USAF?
>>
>>33975660
swo. staff weather officer. you literally are a weather man. and you do jack all during deployment.
>>
>>33973020
"SOF guys are POGs"

You are joking right? You know "SOF guys" like Rangers and SF all wear CIBs right?

You are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>33975795
My pop was the Canadian version
Had a real good run
Gave a bunch of briefing all his career, aside from some ship borne shit when he was young

When he was a master warrant, he was comfy as fuck at the base. He did some Afgani shit because he wanted to and volunteered to do signal work

You can do a lot
>>
>>33975808

They're not grunts, they're elites. Fucking Christ dude, do you not understand what a grunt is?
>>
>>33975931
please tell a socom operator he's a pog. PLEASE. i wanna see that video. best shits and giggles for life. i'd pay to see that video.
>>
>>33976060

>implying he wouldn't laugh at the technical distinction since he isn't a grunt
>implying someone who has that sort of achievement is going to be some fragile little bitch about a joke
>>
>>33976102
i wasn't implying anything i just want to see his reaction.
>>
>>33975808
They aren't grunts since grunts are just joes with rifles. SOF guys are commandos, hence POG will apply to them since they're miles ahead of any grunt.
>>
>>33975891
US Air Force banned Warrants
>>
Any ADF members here?
I tried year before last to get in for rifleman, got told to fuck off and come back after ive spent a year volunteering. This wasnt really possible since i live in the middle of nowhere so I spent a year as a NEET(couldnt move to where I could find work since parents make too much for me to get gibs but they gamble a fuckload)
i'm in uni now with a distinction average at 19
Will I have a chance if I reapply?
>>
Question for burgers.
>27 years old
>Been in the Australian Navy for the last 9 years
>Always wanted to move to America
>Managed to save up AU$270k which I think would be enough to move
>Never worked a regular job, other than 2 years at Maccas when I was in high school
>Probably would try to join the US military instead
Is it a problem that I've also served in the Australian military as well? Aren't there rules against this sort of stuff?
>>
fighter avionics here,
ask me things
>>
>>33977327
It could affect your security clearance, but not as much as much as if you were from a place like mexico or egypt
>>
File: 1395368156859.png (7KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1395368156859.png
7KB, 250x242px
Will peacetime recruiting mean I get to meet less fuck ups and criminals?
>>
>>33973886
>>33973991
Alright so first off this morning was a Touchdown! Second, my assfaced dad sat me down and told me I had to retake the ASVAB and score much higher. He said he cant believe Im that much of a retard that i got a 42 and said he hopes my next score proves im not an actual retard. I told him I wasnt retarded, that I would get crypto. Any chance of that at this point with a first score of 42 or am i out of my league. If so, any good jobs available around a 50?
>>
>>33977740

Sure, but that went out the window 4 months ago when they started needing people again.
>>
>>33977803
>needing people again
what for?
>>
File: soros-via-progressivestoday.jpg (41KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
soros-via-progressivestoday.jpg
41KB, 960x540px
>>33977833
You haven't heard?
>>
>>33977833

Nothing specific, we're just growing the military again instead of shrinking it.
>>
File: path.jpg (6KB, 200x180px) Image search: [Google]
path.jpg
6KB, 200x180px
Anyone here in the military want to comment on their experience and maybe give me some advice? Just finished my junior year of college and I have absolutely zero career path. Hell, I didn't even want to fucking go to college, but my parents just kinda made me go out of expectations. I did well in highschool, almost a 4.0GPA, in college I'm about a 3.0 but not by that much. I'm absolutely god awful at math, I'm a philosophy major, but minoring in Business and Economics. So I'm basically good at critical thinking and arguing.

I'm thinking about joining the Army as an officer after college. Don't want Airforce, don't want Navy (idea of being on a ship sucks), I don't want to be in the Marines because although badass, less benefits and less chances of promotion. I'm thinking about the Army because higher benefits and more chances for promotion. Keep in mind, if I do this it could be a career, so benefits and promotions matter. How bad is the stigma on POGs? I don't think I would want to do a job that isn't infantry, it's not like I'm useful for anything else anyways.

Any advice?
>>
>>33977796
fuel specialist
infantry
cook

take the test again
>>
I wanted to qualify for linguist in the Air Force but I got a 66 on the ASVAB, time to join the Army as a janitor instead.
>>
Would this be the correct place to ask about non-american stuff?
>>
>>33977740
Thats what the military is, fuckups and criminals
>>
>>33977796
That is retard level, you cant get shit with that.
Get an asvab study book and learn it then retake
>>
>>33978180
>my military is very easy to get into
heh, 63%ers...
>>
>>33978059
>>33978193
Fuck. I hate him. Anyone on Polk? That's where we live. If you see my dad at work today tell him hes a dick, you can tell who he is bc he'll be the Major in cumstained socks walking around post.
>>
I was hospitalized in an ER for a heroin overdose at one point. Will that come up in my medical records and more importantly will it disqualify me from service if MEPS sees it?

>t. Reformed degenerate
>>
>>33978250
As long as you dont need a security clearance and its not on a police report you're gucci
>>
>>33978028
Benefits are standard across services what are you babbling about
>>
>>33978028
>Career advice from a Cambodian Cave Painting Board

Youre just here to confirm your belief that the army is the right choice for you. Just do it then.
>>
What happens if you fail a TS clearance. Navy btw
>>
>>33978470
Out of curiousity, how do you even fail clearance?
aside from being a multinational with a sketchy history
>>
>>33978107
if you're going to be lower enlisted in any mos, you are going to be a janitor.
>>33978125
yes, but most of us are americans
>>33978587
>aside from being a multinational with a sketchy history
that's pretty much it. having family that are multinational could harm you too though. and sketchy history includes having debt issues.
>>
>>33978587
mostly, poor credit
bad credit and/or lots of debt means you're more vulnerable to bribery
most denials are for poor credit>>33978793
>>
Anyone here done All Arms Commando Course (UK)? What's it like
>>
Just came from the recruiter, got a 56 on the practice ASVAB. He said I'd score in the high 60s, low 70s on the real thing, and that I shouldn't be disappointed, but he's a recruiter.

Give it to me straight- I'm basically retarded, aren't I?
>>
Air Force, Navy, or Coast Guard?

I'm not really sure what I want to do. My friend is planning on enlisting in the Air Force so I'm kinda leaning towards that but being a hospital corpsman is also really appealing to me. Once I get out I think I'd either like to go into law enforcement or just go to school.
>>
I was directionless before I joined the military.
All the guys I knew I'd think to myself, I won't be like this guy or do these things.
It wasn't until I joined the military that it was a rarity I met guys I thought to myself that I should try being more like this man.
>>
>>33979581
Doesn't matter if you're retarded or not. Go to your local library and read ASVAB study guides.
>>
>>33976060
Do you know the definition of a pog
>>
Op here, does anyone have any advice for guy training for BUDS?
>>
>>33979753
Have you even tried to look for shit online?
>>
Looking to join the Air Force and hopefully become a PJ in a month or two. Last time I asked someone on here recommended I get an EMT-I certification, and I graduated from EMT school last week.

Any other advice?
>>
File: 1478672767812.jpg (254KB, 700x1081px) Image search: [Google]
1478672767812.jpg
254KB, 700x1081px
Anybody got any info on Army 17C Cyber Operations Specalist?
It used to be that only enlisted could reclass into this MOS according to some googling I did. But now I can't seem to find any more information about it aside from the army website that says it is now entry level.
Do you need any prerequisites for this MOS?
>>
What's the most practical thing about crypto? I have to convince my dad that it is a good choice for me without being told im a retard. I know ive got to study to get my ASVAB up but I need some ammo to keep him off my back in the mean time. He called my mom today and now shes all in tears because he said if I dont prove im not retarded he's signing me up for OTR trucking class and sending me as far away as possible.

Also, should I reveal my powerlevel and tell him ive beat off onto all his work socks without him knowing just to prove I've had one up on him for sometime?
>>
How hard is to get into Navy EOD? I am in good shape and will probably have a solid score on my asvab (taking it Friday). What scares me is job availability, what happens if there is not an open slot? can i just tell them that i wont join unless i get that job? I would rather join chairforce if i cant get it.
>>
>>33979753
watch the youtube series on BUDS class 234?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sePX4eH2m4g
>>
>>33979882
It's called DEP. You get what you want in your contract and wait until the spot opens up.
>>
File: 1468805277069.jpg (197KB, 1600x1048px) Image search: [Google]
1468805277069.jpg
197KB, 1600x1048px
Can I join the Marines if I don't classify myself as male or female?
>>
>>33979905
no
>>
Thinking about re enlisting into the army reserves.

Any suggestions how to go about this right?
>>
>>33979915
Can I then file a lawsuit for discrimination against gender-neutral people?
>>
File: 1478050994807.jpg (89KB, 576x552px) Image search: [Google]
1478050994807.jpg
89KB, 576x552px
>>33979944
Are you seriously something other than male/female? I thought you were joking at first.
Well I don't see why they wouldn't let you in just as long as it doesn't get in the way of what the marine corps is.
>>
>>33979843
https://www.ausa.org/articles/mos-17c-%E2%80%93-cyber-operations-specialist-%E2%80%93-launches-february

Same guy here
This is the only info I found, but I don't understand what they mean by 'launches in February' which would've happened 3 months ago.
Is there any place where I can get more info on this subject?
>>
>>33971529
I did NROTC (4 year scholarship). It was a fantastic decision. NROTC wasn't too much of a time sink because we had such a small unit (~35 people, Navy and Marines). Met some great people, and thoroughly enjoyed college. Now I'm about to start primary, and get to wear pajamas to work and in a few months I'll get to fly.

I can't recommend it enough if your lost in life, but want to do SOMETHING besides sitting at a desk.
>>
>>33975382
>>33975414

This is one of my biggest fears. Did LSD and NBOMe once. Commissioned now. I worry that one day years from now I'll get a lie detector test for some reason
>>
>>33979589
all those have medical fields if that is what you want to train, all of them will put you in good standing with law enforcement, and all of them feature the gi bill. really it's just a matter of preference.
>>
>>33979905
>>33979944
take note that you will not be able to take hormone treatments while in boot. nor will the military pay for your treatments as medical will consider it to be a preexisting condition. talk to a recruiter for more information, because that's all i got.
>>
>>33980139
I know this is probably stupid but one of the main reasons I was interested in being a HM was the possibility of being attached to a Marine unit. I guess I've always liked the idea of being out in the field. My dad doesn't think I should do anything like that though because I'm 6'7" and he thinks I'll get myself killed. He's also a little biased since he was a CB in the Navy for 20 years and he doesn't think too highly of the Army or Marines.
>>
>>33979921
make sure they have bonuses for your mos. also, if you're still under your initial 8 year contract, they will work with you a little better. just know that you will be required to work 1 weekend a month and a consecutive 2 week training period at some point in the summer. good luck working your normal schedule around that.
>>
>>33979784
Yep, just looking for extra advice while I'm at work.
>>
>>33980162
i was a medic with 10th mtn. i initially wanted to join the marines and be a grunt. i listened to my family that told me i was too smart to be a bullet magnet. i then decided that corpsman would be a good choice as i might want to pursue medical. then i learned that if i enlisted as a corpsman i would not have a guarantee to be attached to a marine unit. i also had no guarantee that i would be stationed stateside near my hometown, and that i might get stuck on a boat. so then i tried to get in contact with the air force guys, but they were never around. so then i decided to finally talk to the army guys and enlist as a medic. 4 years, emt certification, and 1 deployment later i'm back home applying to community colleges to become a gunsmith.

if you want to serve, do so. don't let your family discourage you into doing something you don't want. i was offered intel by my recruiter but i denied that because my brothers (who are not military) said that the post military job market for them was limited. you're an adult, and you will make stupid mistakes. just make sure you are going to be able to correct your mistakes.
>>
>>33980307
Yeah, I'd rather join the Air Force than not join at all but I feel like the Army has more jobs that I'm interested in.

This may seem stupid but my whole life I've never really felt like I belonged anywhere. I never had any structure, my parents were pretty shitty, and even in my group of friends I felt like an outcast. So when I see the camaraderie that people in the field seem to have, it makes me want to do something similar. It's funny you mention intelligence because I was just reading the Army page for 35M and that seems really interesting to me. I'm not really sure what I want to do so I guess I need to talk to a recruiter. Don't laugh but I am currently out of shape which is why I wasn't planning on enlisting until next spring so I don't know how seriously a recruiter would take me. I am dead serious about enlisting, though.
>>
>>33970584
>I saw war. You won't
That's quiet the prediction amidst news that we will be sending more people to Afghanistan.
>>
Would I over train myself if I ran everyday in preparation for basic? Trying to do a crash course running program so I can become good at PT, I ship out about 2-3 months from now.
>>
>>33970591
There's a workout program app for MARSOC. You should check it out.
>>
>>33980431
If you aren't already a good runner or been running almost everyday, then you can get shin splints. Which get worse and worse without a long period of rest
>>
any af officers here? i have some questions:

>can you apply for only rated boards without committing to service when you apply to OTS?

>assuming i have around 3.2 gpa in EE, and good stats in everything else, are my chances for a pilot slot good? im okay with CSO

>is there a best time to apply? 1 year prior to college graduation? just after?
>>
>>33980425
just because troops are going to be there, doesn't mean the conflict will escalate nor does it mean that those people will be combat veterans. having your fob mortared while you're on guard and getting in an ambush while on patrol are two very different scenarios. it's easy to see why some people think afghanistan isn't a war anymore. there's also a lot of people that deploy and don't even receive indirect.
>>
>>33980431
don't do long distance but once or twice a week, do sprints more often. 25 meter sprints uphill will decrease your run time astronomically. do 50 pushups and situps every morning, afternoon, and night, but don't run everyday. you should be sub 15 min on your run time and be able to knock out 50 pushups and situps under a minute with this routine by the time you get in.
>>
>>33980601
We'll see.
We've been fighting in the middle East for Well over a decade.
It's a very bold claim to tell someone they have no chance of seeing combat.
>>
>>33980665
Thanks for the advice anon, I'll follow it. Sprints are more fun than jogging anyways.
>>
>>33970584
is war scary? do marines really buy adult diapers to wear the first time they go into combat because they piss themselves so often or is that just a meme?
>>
>>33980593
Not AF but... I had a 3.3, b.s. in comp sci and got pilot. Navy though. I can't imagine it would be too different for air force
>>
>>33980872
Can you talk about opportunities to get into Navy Postgrad school? Is it easy to get offered as a pilot?
>>
File: nankingmarch.jpg (54KB, 855x443px) Image search: [Google]
nankingmarch.jpg
54KB, 855x443px
Probably not very accurate, but pic related makes me want to serve the emperor, rape nanking, and banzai ameriburgers
Why can't all marches be as cool as this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cufG2Dlxvk
>>
>>33980593
The USAF officer application process via OTS is pretentious as fuck. Have fun trying to deal with those retards on their high horse
>>
Guys, I got a question. It seems whenever I take a rest from pushups, i always lose my max reps by like 20. Im scared that if I ship to boot camp and when I do the IST there, Ill be fucked by not being able to perform as many pushups. I could barely do 35 today, and I'm rebuilding my pushups, which i will be able to do in less than 4 days.

Tl;dr how do I stop my pushups from going down from not doing them in 4 days?
>>
>>33981247
do pushups daily. morning and afternoon. pushups mimick a necessary body motion. it's repetition, not fucking weightlifting. go to /fit/ for fitness.
>>
File: 1475620607988.jpg (296KB, 1000x1448px) Image search: [Google]
1475620607988.jpg
296KB, 1000x1448px
>former Security Forces
>been trying to come back in as a TACP
>recruiter received my service record three months ago
>won't return calls
>won't answer door even though I can see them through the window.
>Asks me to come in today
>Sorry Anon, prior service recruiting closed two weeks ago.
>we can definitely get you back into security forces
>you can retrain from there.

Not a question, I just had to vent.
Fucking Cunt
>>
File: IMG_1373.png (567KB, 617x551px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1373.png
567KB, 617x551px
My recruiter moved to a new office 45 minutes away. Should I just start talking to a new recruiter? Is there some sort of process or do I just go cold on the old recruiter?
>>
>>33981357
i got switched recruiters halfway through my process, it happens. just reiterate everything to a different recruiter, everything that is in their system should remain the same.
>>
>>33981318
Alright, but how does this stop me from losing 20 pushups in less than 4 days? Any tips to conserve?
>>
>>33981388
Well I called the other recruiter just now who sat next to my old one and he said I should contact him and get if voluntarily swapped by him, but he's already got some of my shit being processed right now like credit check.. I just wanted to get this show on the road, this better not take long
>>
>>33981397
STOP TAKING BREAKS YOU LAZY FUCK KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>33975347
dude...this makes me laugh and i feel like an asshole for it, but oh man that's rich.
>>
>>33981596
You cunt, I'm pretty sure you dont exercise leading up to the Marine IST at boot camp, or do you?
>>
>>33978028
POG
>>
>>33978028
>marines
>Less benefits

All branches have the same benefits
>>
File: f-35a-lightning-ii_001.jpg (119KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
f-35a-lightning-ii_001.jpg
119KB, 1200x800px
Okay so I'm currently an 11B in the Army National Guard, and I just graduated from college with a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice. 3.4 GPA. 26 years old. What are my chances of commissioning into either the AF, Navy or Marines as a pilot? I've always wanted to fly.
If not, I may just try out for an 18X contract with the Army instead.
>>
>>33978028
the stigma is you'll be a POG if you don't go 11b.
it seems like a waste of college education to enlist after earning a degree.
>be me
>11b out of high school
>turned me from awkward loser into over confident winner
>get out after three deployments, go to school for totally different skill set
>gets vet preference for jobs where no other vets let alone grunts exist
>still over confident and good at everything, no one fucks with me cuz dysfunctional vet
couldn't have done it without the infantry, and waiting till AFTER playing army to go to school
>>
>>33981743
unless you know and blow someone, i can't see that happening, but i don't know shit about how commissioning into other services really works either
>>
>>33981743
why no WO? seems that that would be the most direct route into flight from your position
>>
>>33981845
Probably should specify that I'm interested in flying fixed-wing, not helos.
>>
>>33981850
have you tried talking to someone from one of those branches that flies?
>>
>>33981609
It takes less than 2 minutes each time. Stop being lazy and just fucking do it.
>>
>>33981850
There's no guarantee you won't get helos. Also, unless you've actually flown these platforms, you have no idea what you'd really prefer. Get those impressions out of your mind and focus on becoming an aviator first.
>>
>>33981908
No you mong, i understand that we have 2 minutes and it is easy. But somehow whenever I rest one or two days, whenever I am going for a max set, I do way less than I could before. Thats my problem. I did 100 pushups today and yesterday. But i can't do 40+ in a row without huffing or puffing
>>
>>33972025
it's so fucking easy

literally just work on pushups and situps, and start running. Then study your START guide, its so fucking easy and it can save you so much time in the future. Literally super fucking easy, everybody should fucking pass it, but most people go into bootcamp without reading their START guide and not working out at all.
>>
>finished handing in forms today
>told form information quality is better than most
>recruiter brings up file to print lengthier version of one form
>see file listed as "closed/ready for testing" before completion
is my application fucked
CAN btw
>>
>>33981939
>i'm too fucking lazy to take two minutes out of EVERY DAY to do pushups
STOP TAKING REST DAYS FOR PUSHUPS YOU SHITHEAD. PUSHUPS EVERY DAY. DO IT CUNT. JUST FUCKING DO IT.
>>
>>33981984
>testing
probably your physical and your asvab shit. have you actually been to meps?
>>
>>33982041
I'm in Canada
Just handed in my forms to make sure I'm not lying about who I am and letting them do a security check on me today.
Just wasn't sure if my app got fucked (weird system thinks I'm done school when I'm still in my last year) and I was being DQ'd from further progress
Recruiter said that I'll be getting an email for my CFAT and Physical, but it seemed strange it was closed
Might just be me overthinking it
>>
>>33981985
I dont do it because im lazy, I do it because your body needs to rebound from workouts you tard. But okay I won't fucking rest.
>>
>>33982128
>I do it because your body needs to rebound from workouts you tard
You're not lifting weights, you're doing pushups, you absolute shitbrain. Don't even bother enlisting shithead.
>>
Any way to hide asthma? Just failed a pulmonary test and it's still on my medical record
>>
>>33972025
Getting E2 is so ridiculously easy, just pass the DEP test or some shit and they'll promote you or even pass the PFA the first time and they'll promote you, and even RDC's will get you promoted by the end of boot camp but you might have to volunteer or just not suck, idk i knew several people who got promoted to e2 by the end of boot camp.
>>
>>33981343
are you dead set on TACP? I know Army takes prior enlisted for 18x slots, at least they did
>>
>>33981743
put in an OCS packet, there were quite a few prior enlisted guys in there with pilot slots with worse GPAs than that
this was navy ocs
>>
>>33982262
not really, what's your age? you might grow out of it like i did if you're still young.
>>
>>33982168
You can suck my left nut faggot, what are you doing when using your muscles? Weightlifting faggot, you are still lifting a weight when doing calisthenics. Prove me wrong, and dont get technical and say HURR DURR U GOTTA USE METAL BARS N SHIET XDDD faggot bitch nigger
>>
>>33982299
19, I'm pretty much fucked. It's not even bad, I haven't used an inhaler since I was 15 or so

Do they test you for this in MEPS?
>>
File: 1481193630023.jpg (9KB, 238x207px) Image search: [Google]
1481193630023.jpg
9KB, 238x207px
I'm in the marine DEP with an infantry contract but and have gone from not being able to run a mile to scoring around 225ish on the APFT (running 8 minute miles)

I've never been athletic before so it's been a big confidence boost. It's got me wondering if I should switch to 18x though since I'm already 24 and don't want to spend too much time dicking around in regular infantry. My understanding of the pipeline is that I'll be in for 5-6 months before attending SFAS depending on time spent in holds.

I've heard conflicting stories about how much you can improve in OSUT and I have no idea how much time you'll have to run during the rest of the pipeline.

I know I can max pushups for sure since I haven't been doing them at all yet (did pull ups for marines) but will I have enough time to git gud at running during that time? 2 more months of civilian life, and then osut/airborne/sopc.
>>
>>33982307
Well, enjoy doing pushups, situps, running, and pullups EVERY FUCKING DAY at boot camp, faggot. Doing these things have a very different impact on your muscles than lifting weights you tard. Unless you're a fucking woman, doing pushups every day will do nothing. You're supposed to take breaks when doing things like dead lifts, bench presses, and weighted squats, not fucking pushups and situps. Just kill yourself right now because you're the guy who's gonna get everyone smoked when he talks back to the DI "b-but we did pushups yesterday we can't do them again!"
>>
File: stop your faggotry.jpg (49KB, 343x462px) Image search: [Google]
stop your faggotry.jpg
49KB, 343x462px
>>33982307
take your shit to /fit/ asshole.
>>
>>33982313
they might make you do an aerobic test, but not typically. you should be fine. in fact your recruiter might work with you on it and leave it out of your application. just don't mention it while at meps.
>>
>>33982494
I plan on joining the AF, will that make a difference? Doesn't MEPS get a copy of my medical record?
>>
>>33982377
i knew a lot of guys doing 18x. they either dropped their contract because they would've been held over for schools like airborne or had an injury/infraction that caused a kickback. when you get kicked back, you become an 11b and get send to a unit just like every other infantry. even still they had stories of friends that got fucked along the way too. like the guy who got dragged behind the plane during airborne school. he had to have surgery and wait 6 months before he was even allowed to go back to training. my buddy who knew him said he finally finished q course after being in for 3 years already. that's a long fucking time considering he was an 18b and he had 2 years of operating left. not to mention fucking surgery already.

if you think you are smart enough and can go through hell to get a CHANCE to be one of the best in the nation, go for it. otherwise, i wouldn't piss off your marine recruiter by saying "um i think i want to be a green beret." few things would make me want to kill someone less.
>>
>>33982541
>yes *wink* they do.

meps gets the records your recruiter puts into your packet. chair force might be a little less lenient though.
>>
>>33982616
Holy shit dude, I might be able to join then. How do I tell which recruiter isn't a dick?
>>
>>33982427
Im just saying your body needs time to rest from whatever workout.also
>implying I would ever say something stupid like that
>>
>>33982625
idk dude. i never met the air recruiter. he was never fucking there. just treat your dude with respect and he won't fuck you in the long run. helps if you already know rank.
>>
>>33982678
Alright, thanks for your help man
>>
>>33981343
If I'm going in without prior service, should I try for TACP? I'm not really sure what other cool AFSCs there are (besides their SOF stuff).
>>
File: 20170406_115632.jpg (139KB, 654x526px) Image search: [Google]
20170406_115632.jpg
139KB, 654x526px
I just took the ASVAB for Air Force and got a 97, with upper 90's on all MAGE. Now that I know that my ASVAB won't hold me back, what kind of jobs should I look for in the Air Force? I still have no idea
>>
>>33982781
what are you looking to do? you want something cushy so you can do your time and get out? do you want a career? do you want something that might lead to officer status and flying? give us more info yo.
>>
What score do you need on the ASVAB for 68W, and what should I study for
>>
>>33982828
http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-career-and-job-categories/medical-and-emergency/combat-medic-specialist.html
>>
>>33982875
>Skilled Technical: 101
>General Technical: 107
I know absolutely nothing about the ASVAB. Are these hard scores to get?
>>
How do I not get picked for General on my USAF contract?
>>
>>33982898
no, but study. i'm generally not a retard and got a 93 on the asvab. some of my medical buddies in basic and ait got 70's and 80's. look up asvab books and programs online and study.
>>
I can cheat asthma off of my medical record easily by cheating at a PFT. Would I then lie to a recruiter and say I have no history of asthma?

If a civilian doctor clears me, will they still check for it at MEPS?

How serious are fraudulant enlistment charges?

I'm >>33982262
>>33982313
>>33982541
>>33982625
>>33982688 for reference
>>
>>33982279
Too old for 18x, and because of prior service, I would have to be an MP.
>>
>>33982738
1A9X1 special missions aviation is bretty cool. Gungineer whackin bad guys and getting flight pay.
>>
>>33982955
because of prior service?
>>
>>33982955
i entertained seeing an AF recrudder about going TACP once i was done with my 11b contract. i wish i had done it, but it seems i got discouraged somewhere around the time i found out how unlikely it would be to get a slot.
as previous anon said, after telling AF crudder they want TACP, they wouldn't return their call. too many other positions to fill
>>
If I split my 20 years between active AF and ANG, would I be able get military retirement?
>>
Is it worth it joining the military in peacetime? I would almost hate to waste all of that intense training by never using it, as retarded as that sounds.
>>
>>33971511
I had a soldier to warrant. All you need is enough college credits to qualify
>>
>>33983325

Most people do their jobs just fine in peacetime. Remember that the vast majority of military jobs are things like vehicle repair, HR, IT, healthcare, etc.
>>
>>33982954
look, if it worries you get a civilian doc to clear you. if you go to meps and they don't spot it, you're in the clear. fraudulant charges for enlistment are generally reserved for enlisting as someone else, forging documents, and other shit of that nature. there are dudes in the military right now with asthma. i know, because i served with them and even got the pa to prescribe asthma meds for them. you will not be able to serve in certain fields if they find out you have asthma. however, they will not send you to jail because you didn't provide evidence on your history of asthma. you will not be fined for not submitting evidence of you history of asthma. the worst thing that will ever happen is they make you a holdover in basic while they wait on chapter paperwork because of an asthma attack.

if you actually have asthma and it limits your physical ability, don't enlist. if you have a history of asthma and it won't affect your physical performance, enlist. stop your worrying and talk to a recruiter.
>>
>>33973021
I kick ass and chew bubblegum.
>>
>>33983344
What about the jobs specifically for combat like infantry?
>>
>>33983385
training is what your life revolves around whether in peice or war
>>
>>33983401
life will be good, you'll be on drf and shit waiting for the next one, then you'll be glad you did
>>
>>33983385

They're a minority of the military, and too dumbshit to pick a good job. Who gives a fuck about them?
>>
File: 1429153343768.png (7KB, 377x330px) Image search: [Google]
1429153343768.png
7KB, 377x330px
Do Seabees typically SEA combat?
>>
>>33983435
Redpill me, what's a smart man's combat mos?
>>
>>33983463

SF, ST, or MARSOC.
>>
Do recruiters actually look up your medical history or is that just bull shit
>>
File: 5EvxkUz.png (150KB, 500x347px) Image search: [Google]
5EvxkUz.png
150KB, 500x347px
>>33983500
>>
>>33983516
were you under tricare?
>>
>>33983500
fucking idiot
ask any of those operators where they first learned how to not be a snot nosed pimply snowflake
>>
Will I need to purchase an Uber to get to MEPS, or do they have a recruiter take you?
>>
>>33983535
I'm not even sure what the hell that is so probably not
>>
>>33983543

The majority of operators do not come from conventional combat arms backgrounds. They're either direct accessions through a SOF program, or they come from outside of combat arms.

Conventional combat arms is trench-tier garbage and should never be voluntarily entered into.
>>
>>33983572
fuck off xbox
>>
>>33983547
>they have a recruiter take you

side note:
do you fucks ever actually talk to a recruiter before coming here?
>>
>>33983572
wtf are you euro AND teenaged?
>>
>>33983518

Mhm.

>>33983543

Well, SF is pretty unrelated to conventional infantry operations. ST is part of a branch that doesn't even have infantry, and MARSOC pulls from anywhere but started with Recon.
>>
>>33983583
>>33983599

Found the salty conventionalfags.
>>
>>33983572
i find it hard to believe you are referring to american operators, setting aside the navy ones- as they obviously couldnt have came from any other grunt world unless prior service
>>
>>33983623
found the POG
>>
>>33983453
No
>>
>>33983648
Haha le pog maymay
>>
>>33983671
go on...
>>
>>33983648
I'm as grunt as the next guy, but you make us all look bad. I could've gone nuke in the Navy, but I decided to go 11B instead because I felt like i would get a better sense of duty. I never disrespect POGs because I'm smart enough to be one, but I have the higher social tier of being a grunt. Just don't disrespect your brothers in arms.
>>
>>33983628

You don't need to be a grunt to apply for SOF. It's even discouraged. They prefer people with real skills. As a result, most people who end up in SOF either come from outside the military altogether (every branch except the Marines let civilians apply to be part of SOF orgs), or from non-grunt jobs.

Being a grunt is a meme and literally everyone outside of /k/ understands that, including most grunts.
>>
>>33983713

>grunt

>higher social tier

Kek. Nobody thinks grunts are on a "higher social tier" except the freshest boots. The higher pay and better treatment for support jobs make it pretty clear who is more important.
>>
>>33983628

AFSOC
-PJs
-CCT
-SWOT
-DAGRE
-CPET

USASOC
-SF
-Psyops
-Ranger (DA/SR)
-CAG (DA/SR, mostly former Rangers)

Navy
-SWCC
-SEAL (DA/SR)
-DEVGRU (DA/SR)

Marines
-MARSOC
-Force Recon (DA/SR)
-Scout Sniper (DA/SR)

By the numbers most operators are not confined to doing Special Reconnaissance/Direct Action as their sole or primary mission. Aside from DAGRE, CPET, Psyops, and SWCC all of the above pull SR/DA as a side duty on occasion, but otherwise pursue an unconventional mission set. A Green Beret can do what a Ranger does but usually doesn't. Being a grunt is not conducive to anything that isn't confined to direct action, and due to force structure is only applicable to those progressing to Rangers, Recon, or Scout Sniper.
>>
>>33983713
and i always had the ability to choose something smarter than grunt- but didn't because there is no substitute when looking at conventional forces.
i agree with anons saying pog's/civ's may make up certain majorities in SOF communities. i am literally salty conventionalfag checking in
>will still always attempt to divert smart people into the infantry- we're the minority but damn is it a good experience
>>
>>33983773
the point is that you really don't have much insight into where the bodies for those units actually come from
>>
are USAF recruiters normally hands-off and make you go out of the way to come to them?
>>
USAF crew chief here

leave me questions and I'll answer them by tomorrow
>>
>>33983881
Yes, they don't need recruits, they won't fight for you like army and marines

The usaf is flooded with applicants so they might not push to find you. They never even came to my high school. They didn't need the advertisement
>>
Would it be easier to be a pilot in the Marines or the Air Force? Which is the better experience?
>>
>>33983973
Easier to get in as a pilot in the navy
what platforms are you interested in, keeping in mind you will most likely not be in a fighter jet
>>
File: -16+at+10.54.04).png (10KB, 334x266px) Image search: [Google]
-16+at+10.54.04).png
10KB, 334x266px
So I tried some practice tests and did fucking awful in these sections.

How difficult will it be to study for them?
>>
>>33983973
I've seen the maintenance marines do on their aircraft, I wouldn't feel safe flying on one of their aircraft
>>
>>33983986
Pretty much just fighter jets, maybe EW
>>
>>33984031
you are a bitch
>>
>>33984010
Those sections won't even matter unless you want to do something with repairs or engineering.
>>
>>33984033
you're more likely to get a slot for that in the navy, though it's still slim you gotta excel at API.
you won't fly in the marines, youll be grounded or dead
>>
>>33984031
when the hydraulic fluid STOPS leaking, thats when you worry
>>
I can't decide between 68W and 35F/M. What are the pros and cons of each?
>>
>>33984072
Medic= people dying and scaring the shit out of you
Intel= sitting in a comfy office

What do you think?
>>
>>33984039
>says the guy who's never worked on an aircraft or flown on a military aircraft for a decade

Ok
>>
>>33984072
as a former whiskey, go intel. unless you feel like you want to pursue a career where you learn medical in hopes of one day advancing you medical knowledge, don't go medical. if you do want to deal hands-on with whiny assholes, assist the pa and nurses on a rarity occasion, and possibly get to do cool shit alongside infantry, go medic.

i was in hhc most of my time, so i knew a lot of s shop and headquarters guys. unless they were fuck ups, they generally got treated pretty well. theirs perks being up at battalion too.
>>
Are there any officers here?
What's it like?
>>
File: 1455688894889.png (369KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1455688894889.png
369KB, 640x480px
If I'm intel, is it true that everyone will call me a filthy pog and jerk off into my food at the mess halls?
>>
>>33984175
i dont need a decade of caressing a peice of machinery to know whether it will get the job or not
>>
>>33984176
Are there any intel jobs that are more likely to see combat? Like, are there any that are mainly on the frontlines?
>>
>>33984072
>>33984176
>caveat onto myself
see what the bonuses are. when i got out, the medics coming in were getting $30k bonuses for 4 year active contracts. if i had that option going in, i wouldn't have regretted my mos selection.
>>
>>33984201
>implying you'll get Intel
Everyone wants to be a James Bond
>>
>>33984201
if you're intel, you still won't have any real job prospects upon ETS (other than LE), just like combat arms.
its on you to decide which legacy you want to create
>>
>>33984201

Why the fuck would they? Everyone who works in the mess hall is also a POG.
>>
>>33984040
aren't those pretty much 90% of the respected jobs though?
>>
>>33984239

Enlisting for intel is pretty fucking simple m8. Just get a good ASVAB score and be able to hold down a clearance. There's no luck involved unless you're joining a shit-tier branch that doesn't let you lock a job.

>>33984246

Intel definitely has better job prospects than being infantry, if only due to the clearance.
>>
>>33984201
fuck off.
>>33984221
you will still train with your unit during exercises. but during deployments, you will be in the TOC and the BDOC staring at screens all day being a fobbit. you won't go on patrols unless the higher ups need someone to go with them into a village or something on peacekeeping.
>>
>>33984284
fuck a clearance, when you gonna get to spark a bowl and clear your head of all the conflicting stimuli anon?
>>
>>33982781
>>33982806
Right now I'm thinking I'd prefer to make the most of my time in then get a degree and job in the private sector once I'm out. If possible I'd like to not deal with pussies and gossipers because despite what my ASVAB may imply I'm more of an introverted meathead.
>>
>>33984284

...you do realize that the branches that let you lock a job have to do so to attract people because they are the shit tier ones, right?
>>
>>33984324

Except the Navy, Army, and Air Force all have job lock options. The Navy in particular has some of the best intel jobs, and will let you put them in your contract.
>>
>>33984355

With the Air Force it's only for critically manned fields. Idk how Navy intel works, it's weird.
>>
>>33983124
The current reg states if the prior service candidate has 4+ years of prior service their options are:
Equivalent MOS IF it's critically manned
11x IF they are prior airborne
18x
>>
>>33984317
i met a guy in meps that went air force and he got super high marks on the asvab. he wanted firefighter mainly because he knew it'd be what he wanted to do later in life. i met a guy in iraq that was swo (staff weather officer) because he washed out on the pipeline; he was happy none the less because he ended up getting a degree. i know a guy i went to highschool with who joined the air force as a door gunner and ended up getting out to use his gi bill. to each his own man. just do the research and find a job that matches what you see yourself doing.
>>
>>33984408
sweet
>>
>>33983359
Alright, thank you
>>
>>33984209
>I don't need to work on cars to know if it's a functioning car
>I don't need to maintain my guns to know if it's a functioning gun
>I don't need to build a computer to know if one is going to turn on

Autism
>>
How fucked am I as CBRN in the Corps?
>>
>>33984201
Why do you care? If you're not infantry you'll be a POG regardless. They won't do any rude shit however unless you're a major douchebag.
>>
Guys, I need tips on how to lose 5 pounds in a little over a week. I'm 5 pounds over the maximum weight for my height and I need to lose it before MEPS. Would water fasting for a week help? I am running every other day, with other exercises between that.
>>
>>33984838
Why don't you just tell your recruiter you're over weight by 5 pounds and delay your trip? Seems much easier than killing yourself for a week or so.
>>
>>33984838
yes just dont eat or drink anything for a week and workout and try to get as dehydrated as possible
>>
>>33984838
go to /fit/
>>
File: The big one.jpg (222KB, 1200x925px) Image search: [Google]
The big one.jpg
222KB, 1200x925px
Guys I'm torn.
I'm enlisting in the Air Force, but I cannot pick what exactly I want to do.
I wanted Space Systems Operations, but that sounds like I will be waiting forever and my locations will be limited.
Options two is some sort of intel, geospatial/fusion/cyber, seems promising but not sure about civilian prospects.
Lastly, jet propulsion or avionics testing, some sort of aircraft clearance/maintenance. I really don't know which path to take lads
Halp
>>
>>33984838
You can't lose 5 pounds of fat in a week, but you can lose 5 pounds of water weight. Just stop drinking and do workouts that make you sweat a lot
>>
>>33985018
Join the Navy, they have opening doing anything. The Air Force doesn't fucking want people.
>>
>>33970502
>Should I go nuke???
>No.

Do not lead them astray.

We need more bodies in the Engine Room.

t. Sub MM
>>
Anybody living on base want to share their method of CC? How do you go about unloading and storing your shit in 2 separate compartments on your way home?
>>
>>33985131
Can the Navy guarantee my MOS on the contract? My AF recruiter wants me to put general as an option on contract, but this was before I took asvab (got an 84 btw)
Ideally I would like to go officer after being in for a few years and fly something. Fixed wing preferred though.
>>
>>33985018
>>33983931
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>33985307
>living on base
>CC
>>
>>33985353
DO NOT PUT GENERAL ANYTHING
DO NOT PUT OPEN ANYTHING

Only do specific jobs. "Open" anything will give you a chance of having the shit jobs. Dude from my BMT flight scored a 95 on the ASVAB, went in open electrical, and got put in services.
>>
>>33985394
I have the paperwork filled out to keep my guns at home, but obviously I can't CC on base.
>>
>>33985397
This is what I'm afraid of, my fucking recruiter was telling me I had to put general as an option but this was before I took my asvab. Will his tune change after I'm all clear for virtually any enlistable job they can offer?
>>
>>33985404
>califag style
put your pistol in your trunk and your ammo in your glove box. if you get searched at the gate tell the mp's about everything.
>>
>>33985424
Doesn't matter what your recruiter says. You choose your job. Not your recruiter.
>>
>>33985434
Where do I actually sign my contract? All I've done so far is take the ASVAB, I'm pretty new to all of this and my recruiter didn't explain much of anything.
>>
>>33985449
>meps
>>
>>33985433
I get that, but I was hoping someone with experience had any tips, like ways to not have to stop at a gas station to put my shit up.
>>
File: 1492048093719.jpg (14KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1492048093719.jpg
14KB, 240x180px
>>33985467
Do I have to sign at the meps station? Are there people that watch over the contract signing to ensure certain things? I feel like my recruiter, or anyone for that matter, isn't sufficiently informing on these processes and here I am asking anons on a Laotian toenail painting forum..
>>
>>33985554
You tell your recruiter your desired job then you sign your contract at MEPS.
>>
>>33985554
Everybody works like that. Don't worry. You won't actually know how to enlist until you graduate BMT
>>
File: military leadership.png (1MB, 1024x645px) Image search: [Google]
military leadership.png
1MB, 1024x645px
>>33985501
>pop the trunk
>roll down window
>throw your gat piece out the window
>hope it lands in your trunk

your asking how to cc your pistol off post on a recruiting thread. check yourself you fucking mouth breather.
>>
>>33985573
>>33985625
Thanks guys, I've been stressing out here the past week or so. Basically I need to tell my recruiter that I'm not signing the contract with/without X, and he can fuck off otherwise?
>>
>>33985682
yes.
>>
Yo, Im pretty confused on Marine IST standards. Some places say 44, others says 55. I personally was told 55 crunches, but anyone know the truth behind this shit? Im generally confused now.
>>
>>33984838
>Work out everyday
>Skip breakfast
>Don't eat anything after 8 PM
>>
>>33985682

This is what you have to do but you have to actually be willing to follow through. Recruiters know the "if I don't get what I want I'm not joining" card is usually a bluff.
>>
>>33986442
it's different for your age bracket. look up pft requirements and you'll find a chart.
>>
>>33982658
You are definitely going to wash out
>>
What is it like living on a Navy base as a junior enlisted guy? Are the barracks nice? What is the wifi like, could I play vidya on my laptop? What is the food like, and what stores do they have? How often can you leave base?
>>
Would anyone know about the Tennessee National Guard? In particular, I have a BA, and am interested in OCS. Anyone done officer or enlisted TNG?
Thread posts: 346
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.