[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 35

File: codyv2.jpg (272KB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
codyv2.jpg
272KB, 1100x733px
/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

Reptilian Chief Cody Edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
File: powerschool.jpg (137KB, 468x329px) Image search: [Google]
powerschool.jpg
137KB, 468x329px
Talked to my navy recruiter and took the EST. I got a 90, and I got a 93 on the ASVAB when i took it 2 years ago. I'm told I may qualify for the Nuclear program, but I'm interested in maintenance and repair. My question is how much math/science bullshit is Nuke school? How much of it is actual hands on technical work/blueprints/diagrams etc. How tough is it for someone with a mediocre attention span and a distaste for math?
TL;DR How tough is Navy Nuke school if i was a slacker in High school?
>>
File: 13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg (822KB, 1330x800px) Image search: [Google]
13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg
822KB, 1330x800px
If you aint infantry, you aint shit
>>
>>33624420
People regularly kill themselves at NNPTC if that tells you anything.
>>
>>33624420
air force security forces can now go to ranger school

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/820th_Base_Defense_Group
>>
>>33624420
don't do it
>>
>>33624420
You will hate life and want to kill yourself in nuke school
>>
>>33624498
>>33624484
>>33624481
These are all people who have never done nuke. It's not as bad as people say, the workload is just a bit more than the average. You can easily land a 6-figure salary when you get out, plus you get paid more. However, be prepared to interact with borderline autistic people.
>>
Any former or serving members of the British armed forces? Joining soon and want advice on which service is best and where to go.
>>
>>33624420
Don't even think of it.

If the various special operations schools are the most physically challenging, nuke school is the academic version of that. Someone who hates math and was a slacker in school going there would be a like a fatty who barely meets female pt standard going to BUDS.
>>
>>33624443
this

FUCK POGS
>>
Is it true, that if you score high enough for the Navy ASVAB, that the Navy would force/coerce you to become a Nuke? Saw this rumor, sounds like bullshit but I just wanted to confirm on whether it was true or not.
>>
Do certain MOSes make rank faster than others?
>>
>>33624670
They will try, just don't sign a nuke contract.

Sitting at sub school doing my laundry ask me anything up to the end of boot.
>>
>>33624670
>Is it true, that if you score high enough for the Navy ASVAB, that the Navy would force/coerce you to become a Nuke?
no, they may offer a huge sign on bonus
>>
>>33624482
I'm at airborne school right now, there are 2 tabbed secforces guys in my platoon
>>
>>33624670
Oh they'll definitely push the idea. They legally can't force you, but they get more incentive points for one nuke than they do for 20 regular recruits.
>>
File: dennis.gif (33KB, 268x200px) Image search: [Google]
dennis.gif
33KB, 268x200px
>>33624443
Infantry is full of SF washouts
>>
>>33624723
18X washouts now go needs of the army, not just back to infantry. you can be a fucking stryker mechanic if you washout now
>>
>>33624710
>One nuke is worth 20 other recruits.

No. Try more like 2.
>>
>>33624610
Ignoring the fact that people actually do kill themselves at NNPTC...

My best friend enlisted as a nuke, and ate ass every day at goose creek for 6 months. He was markedly depressed, and when I saw him on Christmas leave he was giving more than a passing thought to going AWOL.
My buddy isn't a slouch either, made A's across the board and took the highest math that his high school offered.
Now he wrenches on jets and is pretty darn good happy. Why?

10 hour academic days with 4 hours mandatory study, 5 days a week, and often mandatory weekend studying too.
Oh yeah, and the material is classified, so you're in a secure facility with no windows, no electronic devices, etc. Just you and your handy tech manual.

You don't have a fun career to look forward to, either. Hot bunking it to work 12 hour shifts in a hot machine room while underway, with all of the ... perks... that come with sub life. You can hope to get carrier, that's the "good" assignment, but even then life is ass compared to most other rates.

If you're all about the big bucks, go for intel or cyber jobs.
>>
>>33624610

1. No, most one term nukes can't land six figures. More like 80k~.

2. Lots of job fields can land you a gig in that range. 80k isn't what it was in the 90s.
>>
>>33624635
Not him but, say I have a math degree and am generally comfortable around that sort of thing. Could I make it? Still need to lose more weight before I get in touch with them.
>>
>>33624807
>1. No, most one term nukes can't land six figures. More like 80k~.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Also, google around for nuke jobs, there are only like 100 in the entire US; good luck taking one from a guy with twenty years of experience and a graduate degree.

I can't believe so many kids still think that a piece of paper gets them a job instantly...
>>
File: CIDBADGE.jpg (327KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
CIDBADGE.jpg
327KB, 500x500px
Has ANYONE here enlisted as 31B recently?

If yes, did you get a quick ship bonus? Any bonuses?

I'm doing 31B -> 31D direct ascension and I'm wondering if the 31D would buttfuck me out of any bonus I would have gotten.
>>
What jobs are there for Navy intelligence (CTR) in the civilian world? Operating radio equipment to gather Intel doesnt seem very transferable
>>
>>33624861
>I can't believe so many kids still think that a piece of paper gets them a job instantly...

To be fair, it's not just the paper but also the experience and proven work ethic required to be a nuke.
>>
>>33624857
Possibly. There's a lot of other science and engineering shit in there. Everything from celluar biology to metalurgy. If you're generally comfortable with all of that you should be okay.

If you've got a degree you could possibly go the officer route as well, which is even more demanding, but will pay a lot better, and actually might get you a civilian job afterwards.
>>
>>33624680
junior enlisted no, but once you reach NCO yes
>>
>>33624928

A lot of CTRs continue their careers in the intelligence community doing similar crypto work as civilians.

Others take their analytical/technological skill sets into other industries. Everyone needs analysts.
>>
>>33624443
>If you ain't Ammo, you ain't shit
FTFY
>>
I'm interested in enlisting, specifically the Air Force or the Navy, for a language related job eventually. Anyone here working in that field that can give me some tips and pointers? I would love to learn Korean and possibly be stationed/travel there. My friend in the army wants me to look into UAVs which is something I am also considering.
>>
>>33625343
The DLAB is insanely hard, I'd suggest googling for study guides on it
>>
>>33624443
Fuck you
I respect the fact that you stupid retards have a lot of heart and courage but know you're role, because you wouldn't be shit without POGs doing all the technical work for you

and like >>33624723 said, most of you fags are SF flakeouts so until you're actually an operator you have no fucking right to be talking shit, a monkey could do your job

and besides, artillery is the king of battle. We do the most killing.
>>
>>33625363
My friend mentioned it. Will do that, for sure. Much appreciated.
>>
>>33625377
better to be SF washout then a pathetic pussy to scared to be a grunt lol
>>
>>33624610
>These are all people who have never done nuke
Have you? I'm getting mixed messages here.
>>
>>33625417
Honestly man, take any guy from Intel or admin and they could easily be a grunt. You're nothing special.
>>
File: v5eWYqn.png (425KB, 553x457px) Image search: [Google]
v5eWYqn.png
425KB, 553x457px
>good asvab score
>looking for Intel job in the army
>find out I can't get a top secret clearance because my mom has a green card
>wound up going 74D

Fuggin mexicans
>>
>>33624994

My point is that your tech school cert is irrelevant next to a guy with a ms in applied physics or whatever who also has five times the experience.
>>
>>33624998
Why would officer give me a job or is it just bonus points points so I can write rank on a resume? Again I plan to fully discuss this with a receuiter but I appreciate any tips or bits of knowledge.
>>
why is the air force the only branch that has rank on their shoulders? for non dress uniforms anyway
>>
>>33625473
hahaha keep telling yourself that
>>
>>33625598

I'm curious... did your recruiter just tell you that or did they go through the sf86/eqip and you got denied?

I ask because I married an illegal and I got a TS/sci back in 2005, and she was a resident every time I went back to a job where I had to get a TS. My experience makes me think you got fed some bull and you swallowed without question.
>>
>>33625772
>why is the air force the only branch that has rank on their shoulders?

they probably just don't care enough to change it
>>
>>33625798
Yeah I probably got bamboozled. The recruiter did make a call to someone that worked with clearances and that person confirmed I couldn't get TS, and at MEPS the career counselors also told me I couldn't get TS
>>
>>33625772
Because when we diverged from the army in '47, they wore their rank on the shoulders, and we've kept (mostly) the same insignia since then.
One of the few tradition things the AF does.
>>
>>33625775
aren't infantry slots hard to get? why u bashing non grunts
>>
>>33625775
Okay I will. Know how I know it's true
(Because my ASVAB scores are higher than yours and I qualify for your job 10x over)
>>
>>33625846

People just make shit up when it comes to residency, clearances and joining the military - they just state whatever sounds right to them, or they have biases and they lie so that people they don't want in don't join.

My sister in law is still fucking illegal and I just got my ts renewed last year, selected for ots as well.
>>
>>33625913
Oh shid, can I apply for TS while I'm in?
>>
>>33625906
>Not going combat arms with a 95+ afqt

cum on step it up

Do you really want to spend your time in the service getting fat, making power point slides and wishing you had the balls to join the infantry?
>>
>>33624443
This
>>
>>33626008

You sound like someone who has never humped in his life.

Depper, right?
>>
>>33626005

No, you have to have a reason to need a higher security clearance; something like if you're an atc guy and you are selected to be the crypto carrier.

I don't know anything about NBC save for them running the gas chamber, maybe they do have some billets that require a TS.
>>
>>33626005
mos-t
>>
>>33624165
>>33624014
What about medical poly?

I fell off my bike a while back. I honestly can't remember what the exactly the doctors note was but I cut my forehead and may have bumped my head. What do?

In for going to MEPS tomorrow to verify my ASVAB scores. Maybe after that my recruiter will finally pass me off to the officer recruiter.
>>
>>33626008
I got a 99 AFQT and I'm hoping to go ChairForce
>>
>>33626166

>What about medical poly?

Why the fuck would you think that is a thing?
>>
don't join the military, its terrible

>t. army
>>
>>33626166
Yeah that's not a thing.

When they tell you to "tell us everything" they don't care about your boo boos falling off a bike. They want to know about fractures and other shit that would cause you problems in the future.

So just say no if they ask you about if you've been to the emergency room or been hospitalized. They don't care about that shit.
>>
>>33626252
I'm hoping for a Top Secret clearance in the long run. I imagine they get pretty in depth...

But I guess not.
>>
>>33626369

>I'm hoping for a Top Secret clearance in the long run. I imagine they get pretty in depth...

They cat, but why would they care about your medical issues, much less devote an entire polygraph to it?
>>
>>33626450

>They can*
>>
>>33626298
>army

You did this to yourself.
>>
File: 537px-Bardo_Baal_Thinissut1.jpg (48KB, 537x599px) Image search: [Google]
537px-Bardo_Baal_Thinissut1.jpg
48KB, 537x599px
Is there an Army officer MOS that gets promoted faster than others (11A vs 13A e.g.)? Can you even influence how fast you get promoted as an officer or is it just luck and time?
>>
>>33626545

Promotion as an officer is nearly automatic up to O-3 unless you fuck up really bad. Beyond that, it gets more and more competitive and if you're passed over too many times they give you the boot.
>>
>>33626450
To see if you lied during MEPS?
>>33626358
Was hospitalized for the bike accident.
>>
>>33626881
What does lying at MEPS have to do with your clearance? They aren't even the same agencies.
>>
>>33625906
I have a 98 and I'm currently waiting to ship to AIT as an 11C. In 30 years you'll want to die inside for not doing cool shit while your body still allowed it.
>>
>>33627134
This. there's nothing more sad than regret. If you join the army without being a real soldier that's suicide tier.
>>
>>33627346
Is 68W cool enough? I know they're considered POGs from what I've heard, but I've always wanted to be the guy that patched grunts up.
>>
>>33624443
Whoever keeps posting this is probably not even in the military. Real grunts respect POGs as part of the same team.
>>
How do you boys feel about the National Guard?

I went and talked to Army recruiters Monday. I really want to go OCS, but this recruiter was giving me the run around, telling me I should enlist and then see if I "like it" etc. etc.

I'm hotly debating over Army or Navy. I want to travel alot, and I don't want to be surrounded by total retards all day.
Next time I talk to him this upcoming Monday I'm telling him I want to go OCS route, but then a buddy of mine told me "why not National Guard?" And I didn't even consider it until now.
>>
>>33625775
He's not wrong. You need to be physically fit and have a half-functioning brain to be infantry.
Some of us didn't want to do that, so we didn't sign up for it. It's not like support jobs are infantry washouts.

>>33626008
>>33627134
>>33627346
LOL @ all you DEPers talking mad shit, yet you haven't even been as much as yelled at by a TI yet, let alone do anything in the field.
Plenty of us have never had the desire to do infantry shit. Not hard to comprehend.
>>
>>33627869
> I don't want to be surrounded by total retards all day

Will mostly depend on your MOS moreso than branch. Army cyber troops are probably going to be more intelligent than Air Force cops, etc.
>>
>>33627905
I scored an 80 on the practice exam. Definitely could have done better but I showed up hungover on 3 hours of sleep and wasn't expecting to get hit with the exam.

I think with about a week or two of studying I can get a 90 with ease. My recruiter was certainly impressed by it. I know it's not a top notch score but it ain't bad.

I can crush a PT too
>>
what are the chances I'd get caught lying about medical history if I went infantry in the marines?
>>
>>33625846
It's because you browse 4chan which is frequented by foreigners and terrorists (real or
most likely the case, obvious trolls.)
>>
>>33627959
Look into cyber and intel jobs. If you're good at PT then really you just want the differences between the branches:

>AF
>Most corporate, least military, least emphasis on PT and higher emphasis on education and volunteering

>Army
>More military than the AF, more PT as it weighs into promotions

>Navy
>Most tradition, lots of drinking, fairly military, it's possible to spend months on a boat for any job

>>33627967
High since you are considering being Marine infantry, so you probably can't keep a straight story.
>>
>>33628010
I'm actually a pretty smart guy, I just always wanted to be a MUHREEN and my friend is in the marines, wants a referral for PFC.

Say I can keep a straight story, what are the chances that they look up my medical records somewhere down the line and see that I lied about it? I'm considering trying to get a waiver, but I want to know if I might be better served just lying about my records.
>>
>>33628010
One more question then. I'm 24. I have a degree. All my former enlisted buddies say I shouldn't sell myself short by going enlisted when I worked as hard as I did for a degree in college and all the jobs I've had. I have a concern with transitioning out of the military and also the massive pay difference between enlisted and officers.

Also, while I have no criminal record I did enjoy pot in high school, and I also browse this shithole. How will that effect my chances at an intel job?

I've just heard that intel jobs get more scrutiny. I fucking love this country, but I understand that it's not going to be a major determent by anyone deciding my fate in the military
>>
>>33628062
>look up my medical records
They can't look up your medical records if they don't know where you got care. Sadly there's no big national database of medical records.
As long as it's nothing that they would be able to obviously tell there was pre-existing work if it became a problem.

>>33628069
>I have a concern with transitioning out of the military and also the massive pay difference between enlisted and officers.
What is that concern?

I would agree with them, as you're going to get paid a lot more to be an officer, and it looks really good on a resume if you decide not to stay in.
Also, if you don't go AF enlisted, you'll probably spend years living in the junior enlisted barracks, which can suck if you're used to living on your own.
OCS will be more difficult than boot camp, but it's very much worth it.

>I did enjoy pot in high school, and I also browse this shithole
Don't admit to either and you'll be fine. Don't put down references who would tell them that you smoked pot.
They're more interested in your financial situation (debt mostly) and ties to foreign countries. Those two things are of the highest risk to be exploited.
>>
>>33628143
I was born in Greece to Albanian parents. kek. I came to the states in 96. Been here for 20 years.
I've traveled to Canada, China, Germany, Greece, Albania.
As far as my ties go to these places? family. that's about it.
As far as debt goes, just student loans.
I've also never really been the type to give a shit about money, so I've always been kind of broke, doesn't bother me as long as I have enough to chill and do fun stuff occasionally.
>>
>>33628143
Oh and I forgot to mention, the concern is how well I will be able to transition back into civie life really. I'll be anywhere between 28-30 depending on my MOS when I'm out. I always have this dumb underlying fear that I'll be older than I really am in the future, if that makes any sense.

I'd hate to get out with a 20k in pocket and no real job prospects. Dumb fear, but one that exists in my mind nonetheless.
>>
File: 'light'infantry.jpg (149KB, 1024x661px) Image search: [Google]
'light'infantry.jpg
149KB, 1024x661px
NG infantry going active here
Through strange circumstances I have a mere 2 year enlistment contract.
Will I be able to deploy within that timeframe?
How does volunteering for deployments work?
>>
>>33628158
Ohh man that's a lot... not sure if you'd get approved.

They're worried about things that could be used to manipulate you.
If a foreign government was to enrich your family in exchange for intel, would you do it? You probably wouldn't, but it's a risk.
What about threaten your in-country family in exchange for intel? See where I'm going with this?

Student loans shouldn't be too much of an issue. They're worried about money being used to exploit you. Like if you had a big car note or some other financial hardship, and someone came along who could make those disappear in exchange for a name.... a financially stable person is much less of a risk.

You'll have plenty of cash as an 2LT though, something like $4400/mo, and that's after taxes. It only goes up from there, a 4 year captain would take home something like $6500.

>>33628179
I haven't experienced getting out yet, but really if I were to leave the only difference I would feel is healthcare. Most days it's just like a normal job.
You have a degree, and 4 years of good service in a somewhat relevant MOS would set you up just fine to find a job outside.
I always preach keeping debt to a minimum, but that's outside the scope of this conversation.
>>
>>33628143
What about polygraph tests? Like if you've done some crimes in the past but you have no criminal record. I'm a really bad liar so If they'd ask about something like drugs they'd know
>>
>>33628299
Polygraphs are only used for special assignments and are really a psychological tool to get you to confess.

Polygraphs aren't considered evidence.
>>
>>33628231
How did you manage to go active?
>>
>>33626591
What I was asking was do certain jobs get you promoted faster (if such a thing exists), not the generalized process for promotion. My recruiter insisted that being 11A and getting my Ranger tab would ensure quick promotions, but he doesn't seem to know a ton about officer life.
>>
File: retard.jpg (644KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
644KB, 1024x1024px
>>33628365
I went to college on an ROTC scholarship, enlisted in the Guard in my freshman year, went to OSUT over the summer, came back to school, got bored and quit. The terms of my scholarship have me serve two years active duty. Been waiting for orders almost 4 months now.
>>
>>33624800
Hey shipmate you're wrong as fuck

>My buddy isn't a slouch either, made A's across the board and took the highest math that his high school offered

good thing math means nothing in the pipeline
like ~5% of your final grade

>10 hour academic days with 4 hours mandatory study, 5 days a week, and often mandatory weekend studying too

Actually 8 hour days if you count lunch, you're only on tac 4s if you have below a 2.6 but it depends on your supervisor. Anyway your buddy was a dummy.

>no windows
there are windows

>tech manual
structured notes but okay senpai

>You don't have a fun career to look forward to
Yes obviously with your extensive knowledge about the nuclear power program I can tell you are they man to talk to about the fleet.

>Hot bunking it to work 12 hour shifts in a hot machine room while underway
You only hot rack on fast boats and it's 6 hour watch shifts because you're on a 18 hour days but okay duder.

>If you're all about the big bucks, go for intel or cyber jobs

Just go to college if you just want money, the government is never going to pay you well for something enjoyable.
>>
>>33624610
>>33624800
>>33628946
Ayy, other nukes!
>good thing math means nothing in the pipeline
like ~5% of your final grade

This is true, in my experience nuke school (A-school, Power School, and Prototype) are much more about how quickly and accurately you can memorize information. If you can show actual understanding of the material and know how the system works in practice (both orally and on written examinations), you'll make it through with a 3.20 GPA no problem.
>Actually 8 hour days if you count lunch, you're only on tac 4s if you have below a 2.6 but it depends on your supervisor. Anyway your buddy was a dummy.
His buddy may have been dumb, but sometimes they use extra study hours to break people mentally if they're not well liked/seem like they're not trying. Instructors can be catty as fuck.

>structured notes but okay senpai
Tech manuals do become much more of a thing in the fleet though, one of the greatest disservices power school does for nubs is not teach them how to navigate a tech manual, which is much more important in the fleet. I can't tell you how many incident reports I've seen dodged because someone said "hold up a sec, some arbitrary line in xxx tech manual section 3.69"

I was an ET, so we got shit on way more often for super fine texts though.

>You only hot rack on fast boats and it's 6 hour watch shifts because you're on a 18 hour days but okay duder.
Respectfully, you can go fuck yourself on this one. Fast attack submarine lifestyle is fucking ass. You're not taking into account all of the off-shift maintenance and training that has to get accomplished, and god forbid anything breaks. In-port duty rotation can be even worse.

>If you're all about the big bucks, go for intel or cyber jobs
Seconding. But people jizz themselves over Nuclear qualifications since the pipeline is so infamous, so there's that!
TL:DR; Fast Attack Submariner/ Nuke Electronics Technician/Reactor Operator. Fully qualified/did a proper deployment. AMA!
>>
Considering on joining the air force reserve and I'm very interested in the IPAP (Interservice Physician Assistant Program) but I can't find any good up to date information on it. Does anyone know someone or have their own personal experience regarding this? I'm about to graduate from college in two weeks and this program seems like a really good idea since it would pay for everything. I got a 96 on the asvab if that makes a difference.
>>
File: deployment6.jpg (54KB, 428x285px) Image search: [Google]
deployment6.jpg
54KB, 428x285px
I've read that you can't volunteer for deployment at your first duty station. How long does an 11B usually stay at any given duty station? I'm wanting to volunteer for deployment before my two years are up.
>>
File: 1447089801343.jpg (165KB, 1038x1155px) Image search: [Google]
1447089801343.jpg
165KB, 1038x1155px
>Army 74D
Leaving to leonard wood in less than a week for basic and AIT any one got any advice/experience that'll help me out
>>
>>33628495

It's more the opposite. If you go 11A and don't get your tab, it'll probably kill your career eventually when things get competitive.
>>
>>33629360

In general you don't get many opportunities to volunteer for deployment as infantry. Volunteer slots are usually only for people with specialized skills. Infantry just wait for their unit to be up in rotation.

Not likely to happen if you only do two years, but that depends on the political climate.
>>
>>33625363

You can't necessarily study for the DLAB, but I would suggest picking up an English textbook and going over the basics of languages and get those down. Know verbs, tenses, pronouns, etc. Also if you stay in the Navy advancement rates for CTI's aren't bad depending on your language.
>>
>>33625765
It'd be stupid NOT to go officer if you already have a degree.
>>
>>33626978
Reliability, if you lie there what's stoping you from lieing about something else
>>
hey guys, i've recently got some family issues with my mom's health. I'm still in dep and have already signed a contract leaving in may. My question is can i back out of dep now and still be considered to rejoin later on?
>>
Does having a 2yr associates from a CC mean anything when enlisting or am I basically the same as high school level, I'm 22
>>
>>33630073

The DLAB also doesn't let you rehear the original sentence. You listen to that shit once and have to decide off of that how to answer the question so listen closely.
>>
>>33630648
If it's for family reasons they'll probably understand and postpone your contract. If your recruiter is a decent fellow you shouldn't have any problems.

>>33630667
If you're joining the army you'll get Option 3 which means you'll go in as an E3 if you have an associates degree.
>>
>>33630729
>which means you'll go in as an E3 if you have an associates degree.
So just more money? What's expected differently?
>>
>>33630233

>tfw enlisted AF with a bachelor's.

They didn't want me during sequestration and they don't want me now. There's a massive officer shortage and I have the quals, but my UTM was just like

>"Yes officers are undermanned and you are qualified but Ammo is undermanned too. I'm not submitting a single OTS packet for anyone in Maintenance."
>>
>>33630750
I just signed a contract for option 3 like 2 weeks ago, haven't shipped yet so i don't know what going in as private first class means in practice. But yeah, more money, though you still need 2 years of service to make E4. But you typically need 1 year of service to make E3 so that saves you some time. Also you can get a totally undeserved sense of superiority to all the straight outta high school schmucks i guess.
>>
>>33625280

No trust me. Ammo is shit. I hate every single one of my co-workers and fantasize about walking into work one day to finding out the MSA exploded while I was on lunch.

Ammo is the sole reason I hate the Air Force now and wish I had never enlisted.
>>
>>33630785
>I hate every single one of my co-workers and fantasize about walking into work one day to finding out the MSA exploded while I was on lunch.
What do you hate about them?
>>
>>33626298

Air Force here. Army is right. Fuck the troops. I can't wait to get out and hate my life for different reasons.
>>
Would being a licenced psychologist be a relevant education for a humint collector, or would it be more relevant to have a degree in political science/linguistics?
>>
I'm a third year college student with a bad gpa in a non technical major. Is it possible to get into ocs and will my branch options be limited?
>>
>>33630785
>>33630801
Thinking about going AF. Why do you guys hate it so much?
>>
>>33630797

Every single one of them openly admit they're only in it for the bennies, are dumb as rocks, choose to deviate from the TOs in ways that ultimately make the job harder but refuse to deviate from the TOs in ways that would actually make jobs a little easier.

Ammo troops are hated by the rest of maintenance for not being "real" maintenance but are hated by nonners for acting like maintainers.

My supervision are crusty old retards who think Ammo is the best thing since wet pussy and openly deny any and all requests to crosstrain AFSCs or go officer.

I have the quals to be an officer and commit so much to help improving the Air Force, but I've been told by my career field literally

>Bruh, you're crazy. Washing missiles in 104 degree heat 12 hours a day is the BEST THING EVER! Why do you keep having aspirations to make more money and improve yourself, you some kinda sissy? I guarantee in 2 years you'll want to do this the rest of your life."
>>
>>33630868

Not trying to be /pol/ but literally fags and minorities.

Not your cool black friend who you hang out with, but your BLM-tier "we wuz kangs" Das Raciss Dindu Nuffins. And the Air Force bends over backwards to make sure they aren't offended by anything.

Did you know playing Country in the bay during a job is racist? I sure didn't. I also didn't know I could get written up for talking about going to Oktoberfest with co-workers cause Laqueefa got triggered and claimed Oktoberfest was a new secret internet code word for "Nigger Lynching."

And let's not forget all the mentally deranged tranny fruitcakes who take hormones that give them mood swings and suicidal tendencies working around nukes, explosives, and dangerous weapons.

Or the faggots that aren't cool about it but prance around in uniform breaking 36-2903 and harrass straight airmen and then claim you gay bashed them if you don't reciprocate.
>>
File: 1491530098725.jpg (58KB, 460x614px) Image search: [Google]
1491530098725.jpg
58KB, 460x614px
>>33630871
Never go ammo. Thanks anon.

>>33630899
Why does command allow this?
If anything this screams of leadership failure to me.
>>
>>33630899
This is why i joined combat arms. When i was at MEPS most people who had the Air Force tag were white women and spergs, most people who didn't seem to give a fuck about the military and just joined so they could go to college afterwards were going into the maintenance jobs in the army and navy if they scored too poorly on their asvab to make air force.

My roomie at the hotel was a black guy who rejected from the air force for having a bad asvab score so he went 92F in the army instead, he spent the entire evening watching hidden camera shows on Tru TV, fucking carbonaro effect or something like that and laughed his ass off at that obviously fake shit. So yeah, i would hate every day of my life working with people like that. I'll hate my life as a Cav Scout too no doubt but at least it won't be as many thin skinned faggots and women.
>>
>>33630950

>Why does command allow this

BECAUSE IT'S PROGRESSIVE YOU SHITLORD
>>
>>33630987
Are you just memeing me or is AF command really hard P progressive now? Pic related would suggest AF is pretty right wing.
>>
>>33631039

The Air Force is right wing. The people who run it just want pats on the back and good boy points from liberals.
>>
Is the Army Signal Corps full of aspies?
>>
File: image.jpg (165KB, 1018x627px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165KB, 1018x627px
Is anyone here an actual Army Ranger?

If so what steps did you take to get to that place?
>>
I got a bachelors degree. What's the easiest OCS to get in to?

Alternatively, anyone ever enlisted with a bachelors?
>>
>>33624807
And here I am making 80k as a one term AT, ain't life a bitch.
>>
>>33632380
Many, its not that rare
>>
File: download (11).jpg (13KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (11).jpg
13KB, 224x225px
Anyone got tips for someone with a bachelor's degree looking into a healthcare career with the military? I'm about to make an appointment with a recruiter, and really want to know what are some things I'm going to wish I have asked them
>>
Any jobs in the military for someone good at math?
>>
>>33632067
I'm not, but the steps are pretty simple and well documented online. Unless you mean a fitness routine.
>>
>>33632718
Not enlisted. Navy NFO, USMC 7518 or 7521, or USAF 11FX is what you want
>>
Are MPs universally hated?
>>
>>33631061
Air Force enlisted is left wing

Air Force officer corps is right wing.
>>
>>33632895
Yes.
>>
File: airsquat.jpg (82KB, 636x382px) Image search: [Google]
airsquat.jpg
82KB, 636x382px
>>33630055
That all sounds about as I expected, but I'm grateful to have someone confirm. Thank.
>>
>>33632662

What is your undergrad in, tard?
>>
>>33633548
Health Science Preclinical focus.
>>
>>33632586

Air Force has the highest number of people enlisting with undergraduate degrees or higher and that is only ~35%.

Just throwing out the stat.
>>
>>33633570

The air force would want to throw you into the direct commission officer program with that and you'd basically be HR for a medical squadron. You can also apply for rated and non-rated positions.

USMC would put you into a mostly random job.

USAF and the cream corn are the only branches I know anything about, sorry.
>>
File: cindy.png (2MB, 968x968px) Image search: [Google]
cindy.png
2MB, 968x968px
My job is going to require a T/S clearance, and I have to admit I'm a little sketched out about the SSBI.

I know that I need to be honest, I plan to.

Only thing I'm really worried about is I was fired from 3 jobs in the last 5 years. Nothing illegal or anything. For missing a shift I didn't know I was scheduled for (was with this company for 3 years and new supervisor was a cocksucker), lack of work (was with a shitty security company that couldn't keep contracts), and "no longer able to have a productive relationship" are the reasons. The clarify that last one, I was a manager someplace and my superiors knew I was leaving sooner than later and wanted to replace me before the busy season hit.

Aside from that, I've been at my current job (USPS) for two years and only have one disciplinary warning for attendance which I ironically got while I was doing military processing and missing a lot of work because MEPS is several hours away. I had to go five times total and go see the recruiter countless times, so yeah it added up.

Are these issues to be concerned about or are they chicken shit? My family is also pretty fragmented but I don't have any foreign connections.

Thanks
>>
Graduating college in Dec, will be close to 22, what would be the best possible path if I decided to go down this path?
>>
>>33632380
I'm enlisting with a master's degree currently. I'm going Army 31D which requires a bachelor's to enlist into without being prior service.

Bachelor degrees in general aren't really worth dick anymore. Every single enlisted guy at my recruiting office has one. They are really easy to get now.

Easiest OCS to get into is probably the Army and they have two boards a year. So there really isn't any easy way.
>>
>>33633672
I don't even know if they asked about my work history.

As long as you aren't trying to hide having smoked drugs, and aren't in a lot of debt or friends with terrorists, it should go okay.
>>
File: 1421892352721.png (74KB, 662x635px) Image search: [Google]
1421892352721.png
74KB, 662x635px
Is it better to enlist and use the GI bill to pay for college or to take out a loan, finish school, and then get loan forgiveness while in the military?
>>
>>33633888
Thanks, I have debt but everything is current, my score is good and my report has only one bad mark on it (card with a balance of 0 currently, I put fast food on it by accident and forgot to pay it and it fucked me in the ass). This is a 10 year history so it doesn't look that bad on it.
>>
>>33634047
Loan forgiveness is extremely rare, and I don't even think they are doing it right now. It was a temporary Iraq War thing I believe. So there is your answer.
>>
>>33634069
Enlist it is. Thanks buddy.
>>
>>33634122
NP, I asked a friend and he said it's only for hard to fill MOS's and the dollar amount is shit relative to the GI Bill. Enlisting is a vastly better option.

Remember you CAN use the GI Bill while in, but you won't get the housing allowance and you get when you leave the service.

Also, a 2 year contract gets you 80%. Still not bad.
>>
File: 1323031573118.jpg (31KB, 223x216px) Image search: [Google]
1323031573118.jpg
31KB, 223x216px
>>33634291
Is finishing classes while active duty still doable? I'm looking at a combat correspondence MOS.
>>
>>33629249
What kind of job opportunities are there for a nuke out in the civilian world?
>>
>>33634346
Online classes, yeah. Stigma is mostly gone and most brick and mortar schools have online degrees so nobody will know you got it online.
>>
>>33634365
I'm sure anybody who says "Oh, well you got it online while serving the country, so that doesn't count" won't keep their position very long.
>>
>>33633593
Do you think it's a good idea to join the air force if my end goal is to work in healthcare? I've done quite a bit of research and with all these benefits it really seems like a no-brainer. But there's gotta be a catch right?
>>
>>33634676
The biggest problem with the air force is that you can't be guaranteed to work with healthcare. You get to pick 8 or something preferred jobs and they'll try to give you one of them. So you could end up doing something that's not related to healthcare at all if you join the air force and you have no control over it. So if you're unlucky you'll waste 4 years doing some shit you hate.
>>
>>33634812
How about the reserves? From what I've read it's just one week each month but they will still give you all the same benefits, so I could attend a civilian school and still get it covered.
>>
>>33632921
Why
>>
>>33634859

Reservists don't get full bennies.
>>
What is the job market like for someone with a TS, a degree, and military experience?
>>
>>33624443
Were you too much of a scrub to be a pilot, spy, or SF?
>>
>>33624723

Air Force Security Forces washouts would be an even worse insult.
>>
>>33634961
I looked into the healthcare scholarships and it says both reserves and active duty could apply. But I have gotten conflicting info on nearly everything so far. Any guess as to what sort of job a 96 on the asvab could get me?
>>
>>33624670
idk just fail your color vision test to be disqualified.
>>
>>33634981
Pretty good, you'll be able to get hired by companies literally just because you have a clearance. That way they don't have to pay for one and risk you getting denied.

>>33630871
>>33630899
Shit like this is why if you're going to join the AF, you need to go cyber or intel.
Autistics doing it for bennies > dumb ass BLM government drones.

>>33628946
I'm not your shipmate, squid, and I wasn't actually at Goose Creek so please spare us the "ackshully they're called structured notes!" BS.

If you're working with anything above FOUO, it's going to be in a secure facility which means no windows. Sure, maybe the lunchroom has windows.
I'm also not sure how you're seriously arguing that working on a sub is a great time. Granted, a lot of this information is second hand from people in the fleet, but I'm willing to bet they're not all lying to cover up the great secret of how awesome being a nuke is.

>Just go to college if you just want money, the government is never going to pay you well for something enjoyable.
If it's not about money, then don't tout the line of "100K after 4 years!!1!". It pays about the same to do intel or cyber, except you don't have to live the life of a nuke.
>>
>>33635039
You'd probably wash out into... services?

I don't know why we're paying enlisted people to stand there and hand out basketballs...
>>
File: k00al7b.gif (983KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
k00al7b.gif
983KB, 500x200px
what was Major Payne's MOS?
>>
>>33635162
What sorts of companies?
>>
>>33635271
https://www.clearancejobs.com/
>>
>>33635220
A not-real job since Majors aren't DSs

>>33635178
Its the Air Force, dude.
>>
>>33634981
they get eaten up by contracting companies. Youll be doing everything you were doing while enlisted, only in jeans and a 6 figure salary.
>>
>>33635318
>DS

Nigger He wasn't a Drill INSTRUCTOR. He was something recon related
>>
File: Spirit_of_'76.jpg (129KB, 574x700px) Image search: [Google]
Spirit_of_'76.jpg
129KB, 574x700px
I'm heading to MEPS this week. Can anon tell me anything about USCG boot?
>>
>>33635332
>a Major
Its a fucking movie made by a nig with no understanding of the military who saw a few clips of DSs screaming at idiots. They found it funny, they made a movie, they thought the rank of Major would enhance a joke, and now you have a movie that you believe is reality.
>>
>>33635348
2 weeks of absolute hell
>>
>>33635349
I just said he WASN'T A DI. get your eyes checked you fucking autist
>>
>>33635383
You mean mild discomfort. You no longer have MSRTs, none of your A schools could be described as hell never mind fucking bootcamp.
>>
File: 1483532331031.jpg (323KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1483532331031.jpg
323KB, 1920x1080px
>>33635403
>>33635383
2 weeks isn't bad at all hell week or not.
Y'all have any advice on what to negotiate into my contract? Gonna go for Aviation Electrical Technician.
>>
Go to MEPS next week. How difficult will this be trying to get into AF avionics with red/green color blindness?
>>
I had cataract surgery a few years ago, I had lens implants. Will this DQ me from service or can I get a waiver?
>>
>>33635588
Sorry bro. For whatever reason, most jobs will require good color vision. Of all the AFSCs out there, your options get whittled down to like 10%.

t. was fucked by MEPS on the color vision test and couldn't get any of his top choices despite not being color blind
>>
>>33635643
Well fuck, no point in joining then if I'll just be some basic bitch stuck behind a desk for 6 years.
>>
>>33635322
What if that experience is as a pilot or reservist?
>>
>>33624420
Don't fucking do it.
>>
>>33625846
>>33625846
they lied to you, get fucked.
>>
>asking for friend
>4chun place of fiction
What if your seperation code doesnt match your recode? Like it should be a 3 but by the grace of god its a 1. Could you reenlist?
>>
>>33635691
not necessarily true. You can do most intelligence jobs, comm, even some air crew jobs. Theres still a good amount of variety even after missing out on color vision.

>>33635774
reservists still get accepted, but I dont see the point if the military is almost a side-gig.You'll most likely have a civilian job lined up while you're in the reserves.

As for pilots, your job experience will limit you to being hired by airliners, or more likely the DoD working as some GS-13 research programs manager or something. It all depends on your degree and what you can bring to the table.
>>
So I just finished MEPS down in Brooklyn and passed. Shipping off for Lost-in-the-woods in July 3rd. I'm 74 Delta. Any advice?
>>
>>33629360
you can do 2 years as an 11b?
>>
>>33624165
i am joining the uscg as a gunners mate any uscg vets here got any advice for me?
>>
>>33636394
>74D
You done goof'd.
>>
>>33638471
How bad is it? I'm also going 74D in july
>>
File: 1381584043870.jpg (110KB, 760x628px) Image search: [Google]
1381584043870.jpg
110KB, 760x628px
Anybody have experiences where someone cried in boot camp?

How did DIs respond?
>>
>>33638591
Our TIs just basically ignored it.
>>
Hey, to get into intelligence you need to take a polygraph, right?

I think Intelligence is something I'd like to do. I consumed a good amount of cheese pizza in my teens a couple years ago, is that like disqualifying or will they not ask about that kind of shit?

This is for the American military.
>>
File: 1470091728355.gif (2MB, 275x206px) Image search: [Google]
1470091728355.gif
2MB, 275x206px
Do they care if you lie about weed on a polygraph
>>
>>33638761
If they do ask just don't admit to it.

>>33638782
Read up on polygraphs, they're not as foolproof as you think.
>>
>>33638761
Soldiers don't take lifestyle polys, which is where they'd ask about internet habits. As long as you haven't conspired against the us you're probably good.
>>
>>33638813
They sure do for some very sensitive intel and comm jobs.
>>
>>33630785
I thought you guys in ammo just counted rounds or whatever how bad could it be?
>>
>>33638830
I'm intel and I don't see him having a a job much more sensitive than mine.
>>
>>33638804
I mean, aren't polygraphs meant to tell when you're lying? seems like a tough sell, mang
>>33638813
Alright cool, thanks man. I may have been a degenerate but I've always at least mostly liked America.
>>
>>33638907
I know a dude got accepted for an assignment to green door comm (JWICS, NSANET, etc) and he took a lifestyle poly.

>>33638923
Yeah that's what they're meant for, but they're not very good at it. They're playing off the fact that most people don't know that, and they'll give you an "amnesty" opportunity, which is where they get you.
>>
>>33638813
>>33638907
Not that guy, but I'm also interested in intel. I talked to a therapist about depression/social anxiety stuff, but never got prescribed anything. Is that cool, or am I fucked?
>>
>>33638945
So if they ask some shit like "Have you ever committed a felony/Is there anything you'd like to disclose to us" I should just say "No, nothing that I know of/No"?
>>
>>33638987
"No sir"
>>
>>33638945
I was a tier 2 admin on nsanet without taking a lifestyle poly. That was 2014 though, idk if rules have changed.
>>33638959
That should be cool, they don't mind stuff like that as long as you're up front.
>>
>>33639033
I honestly don't know what access his job entails, but I do know he took a lifestyle poly.
Enlisted USAF if that makes any difference.

What job were you using NSANet for?
>>
MEPS at Fort Dix today, going for USMC infantry. How hard is it going to be to not get a PDQ?
>>
>>33624165
What in your humble opinions anons, are the coolest/best/etc MOS to pick in the Army? I've thought a lot about doing something combat related, but thats just limiting the cool shit I could potentially do.

So anything in particular that veteran anons would recommend to a young man with no direction?
>>
>>33635593
How do you need cataract surgery at 20 something?
>>
>>33632380
in know an enlisted guy with a master's, a bunch with bachelor's. try talking to an ocs liason, don't enlist to be an officer later.
>>
>>33638530
bro i'm going july 3rd too. See you there brother
>>
>>33640938
I was born with them
>>
As a Brit. How fucked am I?
>>
>>33638830
I had a TS/SCI and actively dealt with sensitive intel at that classification level. Never got poly'd.
>>
>>33640873
Unless you are absolutely set on the army, go marine corps combat engineer, if you want a combat MOS that isn't 0300. If you get CEB you're attached to grunts and you spend your time doing ranges or field ops
>>
>>33638871
It doesn't sound bad, well to me it does, but think about all day everyday, you just crack open ammo cans and count out 840 for 8 hours a day. I almost feel bad for ammotechs
>>
I'm joining for Navy Intel, what are the chances that I'll die in WW3
>>
Any air force intel jobs to avoid? I really want to go for fusion analyst. Operations intel looks boring as fuck because apparently you just do briefs.
>>
How much shit am I in if I go USMC 0311 ?
>>
AFROTC fag here,

How would tinnitus effect my DoDMERB/MEPs hearing test performance, provided I haven't declared it?
>>
>>33642402
Depends by what you mean by shit. Like how much does it suck or like, chances of deploying somewhere that sucks. Most of the time it feels shitty and you do stupid pointless stuff, but the grunts that I've known say there's times that make it worth it. As far as deploying somewhere shit, you probably wont see a combat deployment right now. Probably MEUs, UDPs, or MAGTF shit. but who knows right now
>>
Any 68 series people out there (besides 68W), how do you like it?
>>
File: Rami Malek.jpg (166KB, 1200x901px) Image search: [Google]
Rami Malek.jpg
166KB, 1200x901px
I am /fit/ and extremely disillusioned with society. Currently 2 years into a Computer Science degree, because I want OCS for Naval Aviation but my chances are probably slim because I fucked my GPA up badly in the first year and at best I'll probably graduate with a 3.0/3.2. The only thing I've ever been consistently interested in life is the Military/Military history. Give me one reason why I shouldn't drop out of college, enlist in Infantry and then try to go Rangers/SOF, besides the potential of failure. I do not think I want to live past 40 with the way things are going, but I've always been raised with academics as a focus and am having a hard time making the decision to "throw it away" so to speak.
>>
>>33624420
Did it hated it pretended i was suicidal to get out of the navy
>>
File: 1488307551631.gif (1MB, 257x200px) Image search: [Google]
1488307551631.gif
1MB, 257x200px
My sense of smell was pretty much destroyed in high school chemistry. I know that it's technically a disqualifier, but as long as I keep my ass clean and can smell gasoline spills, would they somehow find out and boot me?

There's no record of it or anything, I just hate to think they would reject me because I didn't waft the nitric acid.
>>
File: 1482645157363.jpg (58KB, 485x458px) Image search: [Google]
1482645157363.jpg
58KB, 485x458px
>>33644929
There is no reason not to.
>>
>>33644957
Dont join the fucking military, but yes you will make it through fine i dont think i had my smell tested at all. They do the eye shit and give u a bunch of needles and then its just gay shit for the next 2 months
>>
What is the Navy Intel community like
>>
>>33625473
Wrong, literally have had experience with this exact situation.

>platoon needed a body to fill a slot during a livefire for some odd reason
>POG from staff was told to come with us
>POG proceeds to shoot a buddies rail on his M4 during a room clearing
>oh fuck what
>brushed under rug because that POG special treatment
>>
Anything odd or strange exclusive to 1371?

Is it true that you're just a grunt with a metal detector?
>>
>>33641861
What's the average day like for a combat engineer?
>>
>>33624443
Combat is the only real reason to join the military. You can go to trade school for the other things. Combat fulfills your murder urges, gets your adrenaline fix. Sadly, not a lot of transferable skills once you get out. Gotta play nice again with scumbag civvies, because the law protects them from injury.
>>
>>33640873
I'm not going Army but Green Beret seems like one of the most interesting jobs in the entire military. Learn a new language, get training on all kinds of weaponry, when doing FID, meet cool people and their culture, and also get some direct action.
I've met all kinds of SOF from all branches due to my dad's job and every SF guy I met was squared away and just seemed like such a cool job to have.
>>
>>33645416
>Combat is the only real reason to join the military
you're more likely to get herpes than see combat
>>
>>33645256
So basically a guy with very little experience in an activity made a mistake in said activity?
Who'da thunk it?

They guy you replied to was saying that you can take almost any POG and make him into a grunt, but many grunts would make terrible POGs.
>>
>>33627869
Join active, unless you have a 100% surefire reason why you would want to stay home. Otherwise you're gonna go do cool army shit with your army friends and then end up having to go back home while all your buddies go overseas
>>
Are there any personality traits that people really hate in the military?

I have this tendency to annoy people. I don't know why, and I don't ever do it on purpose, but I'm worried that I'll piss off the wrong person just by existing and end up getting screwed over.
>>
found out im getting stationed at Beale AFB soon. how is it there?
>>
>>33624420

Don't let these assholes tell you about something they never/couldn't do. It's hard work but normal every day people can excel in the nuke program.

As for the schooling, it is hard but is mostly high school level knowledge. The time frame is compressed so you do have to devote a fair bit of time to your studies. When I was going through the school pipeline I was only required to study 10 hours a week at my own leisure however there were people required to study 35 hours a week over what we did in our normal school hours.

It's been an amazing carrier for me and I've like most every part of it. If you can act like an adult and make mature decisions you'll do fine. This is coming from someone that did 10 years as an enlisted nuke mechanic that converted to officer to work at Naval Reactors (the head agency for naval nuclear power).
>>
>>33645368
If you're division, you'll go out into the field for a few days, whether it be survivability, mine lanes, demo range, some shooting ranges, whatever it may be. Usually every other week, is white space, so you'll do some classes or study up on the knowledge part of the job like formulas and various things you should be able to call from memory.
>>
>>33645787
Being annoying is one of them. If you join the airforce you'll fit right in.
>>
Should I go Army or Navy. Don't really care to go into combat.
>>
Have fun dying for ZOG
>>
>Don't really care to go into combat.
Navy/AF
>>
>>33634354
As I said most professional entities have a very strong, positive association with the nuke program, and if you weren't a pos and burned all your bridges, you can easily get a job working in a civilian plant.

As far as non-nuclear work, a lot of Electrician's Mates (EM) go on to be proper electricians, and engineering lab technicians (ELT) can go work for all kinds of fields from beer brewing to water treatment plants.
>>
>>33647350
My grandfather always told me that if you value being able to come back to a relatively comfortable bed, go Navy.
>>
fix your records in iPERMS you fucking shits detective work wasn't in my contract
>>
>>33646574
Is it true being a Combat Engineer fucks up physically more than any other MOS?

My friend signed two 4 year and two 6 year contracts at once for CE in the Marines and I want to know how fucked he'll be later on in life, physically.
>>
>>33645666
You'll soon to realize what makes a man isn't what they could have done, but being the man who actually did.

That's the difference.
>>
>>33648205
That really depends. Obviously biased, but I'd wager to say that CE is more intense than grunts. We have our own shit to do, but since we're attached to grunt units we have to do what they do too. So, it really depends on what your time is spent doing. If your buddy stays division for 20 years, which I kinda doubt, but I know a ssgt that was division for 12, so it is possible, but he'll have to do a B billet around 8 years, and possibly other duties.

As far as being fucked up, it's all about training well. If he only does the training that he gets from his unit, then he might be in for a bad time, but if he works out and conditions himself outside of working hours then he should be fine. I've met gunnys that were division a majority of their careers and their in pretty good shape because they pt hard.
>>
>>33648357
So your idea of being a man is to eschew any skills or talents you may have, and to make a career in infantry in pursuit of some twisted sense of glory?

Look at the bigger picture, man.
>>
>>33635162
There are windows, dude.
>>
File: 1480033706633.jpg (100KB, 623x708px) Image search: [Google]
1480033706633.jpg
100KB, 623x708px
Hey /meg/, I know I want to join the military but my medical history looks like shit on paper. It's nothing that a medical screening could reveal, but it's there in the records.

However, I'm a military brat and my parents used Tricare to pay for the stuff they stuck me on, on top of having me and my brother listed as reasons to be put on the Exceptional Family Member program (AKA "your kid is fucked so we won't send you anywhere fun").

I've been fine for years and most people say you should just lie if they can't find out, but I've also heard that if you're a military brat your records are already in the system and they don't have to jump through the same hoops to get to them. Because of this, MEPs will zone in on you, check your shit and get you kicked out before you can say "I forgot." Is that true, or just a popular rumor?

tl;dr is lying to MEPS not a possibility if you are a military brat with medical records in the system?
>>
>>33648573
Is the stuff you study in that area classified "SECRET"?
>>
>>33648677

Not the guy you're responding to, but can verify that it's totally possible to have windows in a SCIF. They just have to be specially constructed and certified so you rarely encounter them in a lower-echelon environment.
>>
So there's a common belief that serving in the military will make you a better person, more responsible, better work ethic, etc. Tbh, this is the biggest reason I would want to join the Military.

So is this true at all? How can I find out if I'm the type of person who shapes up instead of washing out before enlisting?
>>
File: 1473991513301.jpg (36KB, 609x324px) Image search: [Google]
1473991513301.jpg
36KB, 609x324px
So am I fucked
>Ear surgery that gave me mild hearing loss
>Scoliosis, not really noticeable but it's there even though X-ray says no abnormal curvature
>Pearly penis papules
Which ones should I lie about and I'm not going to be denied into the army
r-right guys.
>>
>>33648675
If you're on Tricare you won't be able to lie
>>
>>33648729
I mean that's news to me, I've worked in MAJCOM HQ SCIFs with O-6+s and they didn't have windows.
I guess it's all up to what risk the SSO is willing to assume.

>>33648902
Basically in the military (after basic), you've got 2 choices:
>Show up to work and do your job
>Get fucked by the UCMJ

As a result, you're generally pretty motivated to at least show up at meet the minimums.
What the rest of the world would say is a "no call no show" is actually called "AWOL", and can result in you going to the brig. Showing up late can mean your 8 hour shift turns into a 12 hour shift.

You eventually see that showing up on time, doing your job, etc., isn't actually that hard, and many people carry that bit of discipline into their civilian careers.
>>
>>33648902
That all depends on you. The military isn't magic. They can't change who you are. They'll show you what right looks like, but at the end of the day it's what you want to do.

If you want to be the guy who comes into work late on Mondays without a fresh haircut and hasn't shaved, then goes to the smoke break every fifteen minutes and doesn't even smoke. Then spends the whole day complaining about how much he hates the military and just talks about his plans for when he gets out in 4 years, then do that.

Alternatively, you could use this as an opportunity to develop a work ethic, get your priorities straightened out, become a responsible, dependable adult and learn a few life skills along the way, then show up squared away, be proud of what you do, be respectful to everyone that's above you, and show a willingness to better yourself.
>>
>>33648902

The military can't do any of these things, all it can do is provide a system of incentives and disincentives for you to do them yourself.

If you don't have the personal desire to improve yourself, you'll just end up being a shitty service member instead of a shitty civilian.
>>
>>33648903
The cause for rejection for appointment and enlistment is a hearing loss greater than:
Pure tone threshold average (of 500, 1000, and 2000 Hz) not more than 30 dB (each ear), with no individual level greater than 35dB at these frequencies.

Pure tone thresholds not more than 45 dB at 3000 Hz and 55 dB at 4000 Hz (each ear). They test for that at MEPS, so you shouldn't lie. Just hope your hearing is good enough.
From military.com: If there is lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees, and kyphosis or lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the Cobb method, you will be DQd.
they don't inspect your benis at MEPS.
>>
How the hell do I access my TSP account? I have an allotment set thru myPay but don't see how to set how the money is used within TSP. It did take out of my pay for it so it has started.
>>33649024
They inspected my dick when I went in November 2016
>>
>>33649067
huh, I went to the Montgomery MEPS at around the same time and they didn't look.
>>
>>33649067

You have to go to the TSP website and manage it there. If you forgot your login info it has to be mailed to you via snail-mail.
>>
Heading off to boot camp on the 24th. Army.
Anyone know much about working as a Signal Support Systems Specialist?
What can I expect for this job? My recruiter told me some stuff but he didn't work that job so I'm looking for more first hand info.
>>
>>33638591
the way sharks respond to blood.
>>
>>33645431
if you are anything other than infantry, sure
>>
>>33649106
I don't think I ever got a login, is it the same as my myPay login?
>>33649100
I went to MEPS Los Angeles
>>
>>33649161
Actually the payday today was the first time I had pay taken out to go to TSP, maybe my account number will be on the LES when it comes out, I'll just wait
>>
>>33649161

>I don't think I ever got a login, is it the same as my myPay login?

Nope, go to the website and request that it be snail-mailed to you. They'll look you up by your SSN.
>>
>>33649108
I'm leaving on the 24th too, are you going to Benning?
>>
>>33649186
alright thanks man
>>
>>33649195
I'm going to Jackson in South Carolina
>>
>>33649238
Damn. Maybe we'll see each other at AIT though, I'm gonna be a 25S
>>
>>33649100
I was at Houston MEPS a few weeks ago and they did indeed check my benis.
>>
>>33649293
At the Pittsburgh MEPS I don't remember them looking at the donger, but they did quickly peek at the butt to make sure you don't have anal fissures.
>>
>>33648975
>>33648983
Thank you for the responses. This is better than I figured it would be. I'm pretty confident that if I'm forced to, I can better myself, and once it's routine, stay that way. I wish I could make myself better, but my initiative has been castrated from growing up in a cult.
>>
Most of you here are retarded. The military isn't what you think it's like. I've talked with so many people in many different branches of the military lately, hearing all their stories. The u.s is in peace time right now. Sure that could change soon, who knows.
>>33627346
Yeah, and then you join and realize you're joining a peacetime army, and you're not going to be doing "cool shit" like killing people or being in battles, your most likely going to be stationed somewhere in america, wake up early in the morning to do pt, deal with bullshit, have a little free time, then goto sleep and repeat. You basically are being paid to be a prisoner. Maybe if your lucky you'll get stationed in iraq and then run over a ied one day and be injured for the rest of your life. Or get your knees/back fucked up for the rest of your life from the pt, which is very common. This is the infantry life today from what i've heard from soldiers themselves. Do research before you sign away 4+ years of your life. Some people do have good experiences though, it depends what you are looking to get out of it, and luck.
>>
>>33649396
fissures and unfortunately prolapse is what they check for....make sure your boipucci isnt toally lookin like a blown out o-ring
>>
>>33648483
No I'm saying you can't live a life saying, "Oh yeah I could've done that." It's just like the dudes who say, "I was gonna join the military, but...I was busy with life and yeahhh uh fuck ISIS though DTOM MAGA 2A FREEDOM FIGHTER!"
>>
Can I get laid pretty easy in the army? Do most guys get on grindr or is there some other type of hook up culture?
>>
>>33648902
If you want that then join the marines, out of all the other branches. The marine is the branch that really changes people for the better, although you have to put in work.

>>33645416
In 2017 chances of seeing combat in any branch of the military is pretty slim, unless special forces. Those are the guys who are doing the fighting right now. Although its looking like that could change soon.

>>33645012
Yeah but if you don't make special forces you're screwed. And even if you do then its a huge commitment. Not to mention you could die.

>>33628069
To be honest in my opinion joining the military as enlisted with a college degree is fucking stupid.

>>33628179
Thats how I am too. I'm 19 but i'm always thinking in my head a few years ahead like like "i'm 21"
>>
>>33648930
What if I have my own insurance by the time I enlist?
>>
>>33649898
My day as a USAF Network Engineer:

(Back shop)
>Wake up at 6:15
>At work by 7:30
Do some combination of the following:
>Work on any of several ongoing projects
>Training
>PT 3 times a week
>leave by 4:30 usually

(Ops Cell)
>Wake up at 6
>At work by 7
>Stand-up at 7:30
>Work taskings until 2pm
>Debrief
>Continue working taskings
>Turnover at 3:30
>Leave around 4
>No PT for that month

Sometimes I work 3 - midnight on backshop, occasionally 11pm to 7AM (no lunch).

>>33650055
If you ever received care under Tricare, they'll be able to pull you up in like 3 clicks.
Any care you received while you were dependent on your parents will be recorded.

>>33649659
I agree that "did" is not that same as "could have", but I think what a lot of these DEP warriors are mistaking is that many POGs have/had no desire to be infantry or do infantry things.
I was totally aware of what I was (or wasn't) getting into when I signed on to be a network engineer. I will concede that there are those guys who always talk about how they could have been EOD or SpecOps or some shit, though.

My most annoying co-worker (and coincidentally least useful) dropped the line,"Yeah I would have joined the Marines, but my wife wouldn't let me".
Then the fucker bitches about how the USAF isn't "military" enough.
>>
>>33649530

This is true except for the:

> have a little free time, then goto sleep and repeat. You basically are being paid to be a prisoner.

Only people that have never had a real job think this is prisoner life. This is just being a modern adult. I never had a civilian job that gave me as much free time as being in the military.
>>
>>33649855

>joining the military as enlisted with a college degree is fucking stupid.

>I'm 19

Cool, so you have no context for your opinion whatsoever?

Enlisting with a degree can be the right call, it just depends on your situation. Not everyone wants to be an officer or has goals that will be furthered by being an officer.
>>
File: 1394150900710.jpg (250KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1394150900710.jpg
250KB, 640x960px
How many years enlisted do I have to be to go warrant officer?

Also I'm 3 years into my first enlistment and I want some comfy officer job, if I plan to go WO should I reclass to a feeder MOS?
>>
>>33651927
Flight warrants exist, so zero. If you end up enlisted, its your own fault.
>>
>>33651694
SNCO is for people absolutely no goals outside of keeping his wife's son fed.
>>
File: porkins - future air force.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
porkins - future air force.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
>>33638647
He said DIs not TIs air queer. Your "BMT" is nothing like the Navy's, Army's, USMCs, or even Coast Guards and is an 8 week course where you learn to fold clothes.
>>
>>33651939

Enlisting with a degree doesn't mean becoming a SNCO.
>>
>>33652259
The only ones retarded enough to enlist with a degree usually stick around long enough to become SNCOs.
>>
>>33644929
Lol I had a 3.0 with a fucking Bio degree and got picked up for Naval Aviator and Naval Flight Officer. Just do well on the ASTB and you'll be all set.
>>
>>33646541
>NR shitposts on /k/
>>
>>33652412
That's not at all the case. Most are out after one enlistment.
>>
anyone here go to the naval academy? how did it turn out? What are you doing now?

Years ago, I was recruited to the naval academy for sports, but i decided to do traditional liberal arts college instead.

To this day I wonder how things might've turned out...
>>
is air force basically pointless if i have debt? they don't appear as collection accounts on my credit, but the debt is out there
>>
>>33651953
Spoken like a true DEP warrior. Who else would actually get that buttbongled at the AF while not even answering the guy's question?

I've got friends in the three main branches.
Army boot camp is about getting in the shit, firing weapons, field exercises, etc.
By buddy's DSes would play overwatch and everyone could walk around with holes in their uniforms covered in dirt.
Hell, he posted on FB at least 5 times during boot camp.

AF boot camp is attention to detail x1000.
Loose string on 1 article of clothing in your locker? Demerit.
Shoes not perfectly aligned under the bed? Demerit
DFAC seating procedures not followed properly? Have fun getting destroyed by 4 TIs at once.

BMT isn't supposed to make you into a combat-ready rifleman, because that's not what the AF does.
They need people who can follow directions perfectly, quickly, and under stress, and BMT reflects those goals.

Navy is a mix of both, with more hands on work than the AF, but also a critical attention to detail portion that the Army's boot camp lacks.

>>33652938
>is air force basically pointless if i have debt
Why would you think this? If it's really excessive it may prevent you from getting a TS, but most jobs in the AF don't require a TS.
>>
>>33648729
>but can verify that it's totally possible to have windows in a SCIF.

I've never encountered a SCIF that had windows in any of the cleared areas.
>>
>>33654475

I've seen windows too, but usually only at echelons above corps. IE, multimillion dollar buildings set up specifically to be permanent intelligence installations.
>>
>>33648368
Thanks for the answer. I didn't expect a good answer
>>
Thinking of picking 74D CBRN as my mos, good idea or will I hate life?
>>
>>33630950
AIr Force has always had weak, limp wristed leadership. There is a reason their officers are least likely to make it to the Presidential seat.
>>
>>33655535

One of the worst jobs in the Army. Not because the job sucks, but because you never get to do your job and everyone knows it. 74D ends up as "general laborer".
>>
>>33651685
>marines
I meant that you can't leave even if you want to, and you need permission to do a lot of things, whereas with a normal job you can just quit. You don't have the same rights as a civilian.
>>33651694
In general it's pretty stupid. Not only coming from me but from most people in the military and most people in general. Most people enlist for free college. Why go through 4 years of education just to be treated like trash because you're enlisted.
>>
>>33655535
i hope you like tear gas and hot as fuck protective clothes
>>
>>33655691
>whereas with a normal job you can just quit.

The fuck you can. People say this but I could never just up-and-quit my first 3-4 jobs. You can put in two weeks notice if you've got a professional job and money in the bank...but most Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.

People overestimate the amount of freedom they have in most civilian jobs. I had way more freedom and time off in the military than I did in all of my prior jobs. The only reason I have more freedom now is that I scored a cushy federal gig with my military experience.
>>
>>33649280
You gonna bet at Gordon in Georgia? I'll be there for 4 months
>>
>>33653044
What is the Marines boot camp like? I can't imagine they care about attention to detail like the Air Force does, or even the Army now that I think about it.
>>
>>33656408
Why would you ask the overweight air force guy about Marine bootcamp?
>>
>>33655535
74D never get to do their job or very much training for it. Literally fire departments do more chemical training than them.

If you have a fascination with chemical weapons, go Army EOD and apply to the 21st WMD Specialist Company,
>>
>>33656408
You'll hear all kinds of different things about it. It's not physically difficult. It really isn't. I'm 5'8, 130lbs. You spend most of first phase doing morning pt, mcmap, drill for hours, studying the basic as fuck knowledge like rank structure and general orders.

Second phase is going out to the range and learning marksmanship fundamentals and how to not flag half the company. You spend a week snapping in, or holding your shooting position for an hour. Then the next week is entirely shooting. Then a week later is BWT which is shittier than the crucible itself.

Third is a bunch of admin shit and the crucible.

All of this while dealing with "HEY MOTHERFUCKER DID YOU JUST FUCKING LOOK AT ME??? TIGHT, EVERYONE SQUAT AND HOLD YOUR FOOTLOCKER OUT" "GET THE FUCK OUT. GET BACK. GET OUT. GET BACK. OPEN YOUR FAT FUCKING FACES" "4...3...2...1...0. YOU DON'T WANT TO MAKE MY COUNTS? GET ON YOUR FUCKING FACES"

Boot camp is more a test of how much bullshit you can put up with.
>>
>>33656920
>>33656920
>>33656920

NEW THREAD

>>33656920
>>33656920
>>33656920
>>
File: fj.png (62KB, 261x255px) Image search: [Google]
fj.png
62KB, 261x255px
>tfw sub-nuke
>>
>>33655628
Can I be the change that I want to see or are we too far gone for any of that to change?
>>
>>33644929
Do you go to WA state?
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.