[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For America and North America in general, is there any doubt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: M16A1.jpg (58KB, 800x191px) Image search: [Google]
M16A1.jpg
58KB, 800x191px
For America and North America in general, is there any doubt that an AR15 is your best bet at a SHTF rifle?

>parts and ammo commonality with military/police
>5.56 is adept at medium-large game (with proper shot placement), four legged or two legged
>reliable and accurate
>aftermarket like legos

That being said, what would the optimum specs for such a general purpose rifle be? Meaning barrel length, gas system, sights, etc. Is there a "best" AR15 maker that makes a quality product at a good price for the average joe?
>>
AR SBR a best.

No need for 500m shots in SHTF
>>
>>28867431
It all depends on what you want to focus on and your location. Personally I want to get an 18" SPR with an adjustable zoom optic. Keep it light and handy. I have a 20" AR right now with an A2 stock and its not the worst choice for me considering where I am.
>>
Yes, an IR capable, Suppressed SBR AR is by far the best SHTF rifle you can buy.

in SHTF that third pin is getting drilled though
>>
>>28867457
You are aware that you need to do more to the receiver than just drilling the third hole, right?
>>
>>28867470
No shit idiot, of course I know that.
>>
>>28867443
Some people may not want to deal with the burden of having an sbr. Having to ask for permission to cross state lines and putting you on a list is not okay with some. Also, some calibers don't preform well out of an sbr. 5.56and .223 is a great example.
>>
>>28867470
>buy M-16 parts kit
>already have FA Bolt carrier
>can buy FA KAC selector on ebay for 40$
>????
>profit
>>
>>28867478
Performance is hindered but they are also loud as fuck, I mean seriously loud
>>
>>28867478
>>28867483

So get 300blk pistol with a brace. If SHTF you can shoulder it with no worries.

bang problem solved.
>>
>>28867493
One thing op mentioned was parts and ammo commonality with military and police. .300 blk isn't common with the military and police like 5.56 or .223 is.
>>
>>28867509
Valid point. How feasible is stocking up on 300blk reloading equipment and supplies? Can then just use 5.56 cases
>>
File: IMG_20151128_131759204.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151128_131759204.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>28867431
I have my doubts.
5.56 rounds can either be okay at barrier penetration, or okay at fucking people up, not both. I want both.
Have a mix of flat plains, hills, and forests here, want something useful in all of those. The idea of getting pinned down by some assholes 700m away and not being able to respond effectively doesnt sound good. Though SHTF isnt going to happen, and even then, im not likely to need to reach that far out.

I think for an infantry platoon, the AR is great.
I am not an infantry platoon. I have a wife, she shoots, still doesnt count.
>>
>>28867493
>>28867528
>vouches for .300 Meme
>knows jack shit about it

Typical.
>>
>parts and ammo common with military / police

If/when shtf it won't matter because you're not going to have ammo handed to you, and you sure as hell aren't going to find any.

Remember Sandy vag? That wasn't even close to shtf, so what makes you think it'll be around?

Rock what your friends are rocking.
>>
>>28867528
Anything is feasible with enough money and time. As a poorfag myself, I'd stick with 5.56 and maybe a can. With a nice optic to take game with while reducing my chances of being detected. The can may or may not be registered, that is your choice. They are not that difficult to make with some materials and a welder.
>>
>>28867542
I'm assuming he is talking about raiding supply depot and bodies of fallen soldiers and officers.
>>
>>28867478
You actually think people are going to give a shit about laws when SHTF? There's already people out there that don't know building a rifle under 16 inches without it being pinned and welded ignorantly.
>>
>>28867607
What about before then?
>>
>>28867481
The internal dimensions of a standard ar receiver aren't the same as an m16. You need to widen the fcg pocket as well
>>
File: image.jpg (214KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
214KB, 1200x600px
Unless you pretend to go fight against groups of people I don't see why a bolt action rifle chambered in 5.56 or .308 won't be a best choice.

>extremely sturdy
>more powerful and accurate
>won't make you a target because of all the tacticool shit that ARfags have

Man, I will be the one keeping it under the radar with my scout rifle instead of being some sort "operator" that goes around with a shit ton of gear pretending to be a Spec Ops Rambofag with my tacticool AR15.

Enjoy getting shot at because you think that you are Jason Bourne.
>>
>>28868029
Extremely easy to do. You dont need to be precise even, just know basic dimensions.

Also, BCI Defense makes lowers to M16 internal specs (minus the autosear hole) and FTFindustries sells complete M16 LPK w/ Sear & the Auto-sear Drilling-Jig

Its incredibly easy to convert an AR15 to select fire capability. You can do it in an afternoon and a hand-drill and $200 worth of parts, if you dont mind it looking like shit and only care about function.
>>
>>28868029
Fun fact, some AR lowers now ship with M16 fcg pockets. I was pretty damn surprised when my QC10 9mm lower had a M16 fcg.

As for OP, yes, the AR would probably be the best rifle in your fantasy SHTF scenario because of widely available ammo and parts, but that kind of scenario is never going to play out how preppers would like.
>>
>>28868072
Anyone with a gun will be treated like a target. And why would you think some long ass bolt gun will keep you anymore under the radar then someone with a SBR?
>>
>>28868072
>Implying you can be under the radar with a rifle over your shoulder just because it doesn't have a pistol grip
>>
>>28868072

Fuddling comes out of his trailer to post for the first time.
>>
>>28868120
the SBR can be broken down and thrown in a Northface/Kelty backpack or ruck.
The longer AR's and the Bolt guns cannot.

You need rifle-capability but lugging around a rifle makes you a priority target.
>>
>muh post apocalyptic bullshit fantasies

Shooting at niggers during a natural disaster or at worst chinese/russians does not require anything but an ar-15

>muh ammo availability
No matter what you choose you hsould stock up on an assload of ammo and if you end up going through all that

1. you get into too many gunfights
2.you should have some rifles/ammo as loot, use them.
>>
>>28867564
>Pistol with brace and 8.5" 300blk barrel.
>Additional 11.5" 5.56 barrel.

Buy 500 rounds a month until the habbening to build up a good stock of ammo.

Extended SHTF scenario and you run out of ammo? Swap barrel and gud to go
>>
>>28867478
>name on a list
I used to be really against this, and I still am, but in my many years of buying firearms I've gained a new perspective on that issue.

First, I wouldn't ever fill out 4473s. I would only do private sales. I was afraid then the gubmint would know I have guns. Then I realized I'm browsing /k/, am conservative, buy ammo online and gun accessories with credit cards, and my father is a lifetime NRA member. In a confiscation scenario, the government knows I have guns off of that basis alone.

Unless you want to buy exclusively in private sales in the parking lot of gun shows (Armslist is a no-go because you need to use their system to contact people, so you're basically limited to basic bitch ARs and SKSs at gun show parking lots) and never ever visit gun websites (on a regular basis at least), the gubmint is going to know you have guns. We have to rely on the government fearing us to keep them in check.
>>
>>28867481
>wanting capability you can't train with
>making changes to the gun without reliability testing
>>
>>28868177
Dunno about others but I own land in WV (mdfag) and I could easily get away with shooting and testing any illegal NFA i could build.

Not everyone is poor / lives in a city.
>>
>>28867431
>parts and ammo commonality with military/police
if you can get parts and ammo you can get a gun
plan to keep yourself supplied
>5.56 is adept at medium-large game (with proper shot placement), four legged or two legged
No, but its still possible, not like being humane would matter if it came down to it
>reliable and accurate
many are one, some are both, and some are neither
>aftermarket like legos
doesn't really make sense if you think about it, but what you're trying to say is correct

basically the semi auto rifle that is reliable and you shoot the best is the best option for a SHTF rifle

For me, I'd take my SA M-7 over my BCM in most situations, but I'd take my AR-10 over either if I needed more range or was holding a position
>>
>>28868213
>>5.56 is adept at medium-large game (with proper shot placement), four legged or two legged

adept
very skilled or proficient at something

and this was taking adept literally
5.56 is great because you can bring a lot of it for low weight and its versatile and good enough
plus as civ's we arn't limited to gov ammo so with the right shit its pretty good but I wouldn't call it adept like a 30-06, .308, ect.
>>
>>28867431
For Canada the SKS would be slightly better if for no other reason than it is non-restricted and cheap. The AR-15 will out perform it, but it is on a government list.

I don't see SHTF happening suddenly. There would be some period of instability beforehand, when the government would have time to do things like confiscate all the registered firearms. In the US this might lead to shooting, but in Canada it would be easier (especially as the owners would figure that their hidden SKS would be enough when they hand over their AR).
>>
>>28868239
A garand would be a better option outside of citys since in canada you get more ammo capacity with higher power and range
In citys a shotgun and handgun would be good enough
>>
>>28868256
>get dirt on it
>jams

>good outside of cities
>>
>>28868266
Every SKS I've had has been shittier than my M14 and Garand. Don't get me wrong the SKS is a fine and fun rifle but I would not rely on one no matter what, especially when I have access to AK's.

I'd take my AR-10 over all of the above
>>
>>28868284
I was not defending the SKS but the garand action is garbage

>AK
don't ever get it muddy.
>>
>>28868296
AK a shit
SKS a shit
SlavTech is overrated

Garand action is fucking fine though. It fought through Europe and the Pacific, itll do great in any fucking possible SHTF situation.
>>
>>28868310
>Garand action is fucking fine though

>pour dirt on it
>jams

>pour mud on it
>jams

>get it sandy
>jams

If it can't get dirty it's not fine.
>>
>>28868256
The problem with the Garand is availability. They are hard to come by and expensive in Canada. The SVT would be a better choice availability and price-wise for a Canadian.

As for ammo capacity, in SHTF, you can just drill the pins, so you'll have the full 10 rounds for the SKS.

>>28868284
Until the Type 81 hits the retailers in Canada, the SKS or perhaps Vz.58 are the best for affordable intermediate cartridge NR rifles.
>>
>>28868158

Way to sound reasonable, Anon.
>>
>>28868195
>I'm not poor, everyone else on /k/ is!

Great, good for you, most people don't have private land to test NFA on, so it doesn't apply to you then, does it? Fucking moron, put your illegal NFA against the roof of your mouth and pull the trigger.
>>
>>28868853
>Not everyone is poor / lives in a city.
Your response;
>Im not poor, everyone else on /k/ is!

I literally said the opposite. Not everyone is a fucking peasant like yourself, stop projecting. Some people live in rural areas or make more than $30,000 a year.
>>
>>28868887
No I didn't say that you illiterate sack of shit. I just called you out for being those annoying insecure faggots who have to make sure everyone knows he's THE WELL ENDOWED ANONYMOUS and everyone else is a fucking peasant.

McFucking Kill yourself you idiotic waste of carbon matter.
>>
>>28868853
You are the one assuming no one has access to rural/unpopulated land.

Where do you think a lot of us shoot? Not just public ranges. Go innawoods.
>>
>>28868239
yep, this guy gets it. AR for America and SKS for Canada
also I think Canadian meet ups should be called sksfest instead of nuggetfest because everyone here who owns guns has one
>>
>>28868903
I am enjoying how mad you are. I can imagine your fat greasy ass at your computer furiously huffing and puffing away at the keyboard as someone on the internet said something you don't like.

Im anonymous retard and I was just proving you wrong, sorry that triggered some deepseated issues inside you.

You were making an assumption that NOBODY can reliably practice with illegal-NFA or test said NFA. I would assume most people here could easily do exactly that and do it without getting caught. Not everyone lives in suburbs or a city.

Also;
>dat projection
Jesus christ dude get a fucking grip. Im not even mad I really feel sorry for how strongly you feel about someone pointing out your ridiculous assumption.
>>
>>28868106
I wasn't sure how close to exact it needs to be. Good to know

>>28868109
I knew some lowers were made to m16 specs. Didn't realize its gotten that much more prevalent. I figured the bureau of banning all things fun and exciting would have put the kibosh to that like they did semi auto open bolt guns in '81 because of ease of conversion
>>
>>28869011
>I figured the bureau of banning all things fun and exciting would have put the kibosh to that like they did semi auto open bolt guns in '81 because of ease of conversion

Apparently drilling a small hole and having FA parts is difficult enough to make it "totes not readily convertible" but a tiny amount of machining does.
>>
>>28869089
Well, they are inept bumblefucked bureaucrats
>>
>>28867431
I am actually gonna try to answer this. in my opinion this is the best to run with.

16 inch Barrel
Mid-length gas system
Quality red-dot style sight with back up iron sights.
Nice weapon mounted flashlight.
Whatever weapon furniture makes your dick hard.

as for who makes the "best" I wont weigh in on because people get all pissy.

Just avoid "in-house" ar-15's and bottom barrel budget ar-15s
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.