[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why hasn't the M2 been replaced? There's been two

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 22

File: images.jpg (8KB, 561x262px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 561x262px
Why hasn't the M2 been replaced?

There's been two replacement programs that highlighted the shortcomings of the design, but both times nothing was adopted because the new US designs were shit (either low fire rate or reliability issues).

Countries like Russia have replaced their M2 equivalents twice and now field HMGs that are more reliable, half the weight, much cheaper and have low enough recoil that they are deployed at GPMGs.

I am aware that the US has recently started a modification program that will reduce weight and add a QCB, but it's still much heavier, more complicated and less adaptable than competing designs.

So, tl;dr: When will the US be able to field a worthwhile replacement for the M2?
Are they unable to design anything better, or are they just trying to hold on to their memories?
>>
>>28616224
Slavboo: the post.
>>
>>28616224
it just werks. also it's seen a few small changes as of recent in design they just aren't major
>>
>>28616224
>Are they unable to design anything better
Pretty much, the M2 is literally the pinnacle of HMG designs for our time

People don't realize how advanced Browning was, but he designed striker fired pistols at least half a century before anyone else considered it
>>
>>28616224
et jest werks

a lighter version wouldn't hurt, though.
>>
>>28616224
>When will the US be able to field a worthwhile replacement for the M2?

A long time from now.
The M2 will serve for at least 100 years.
>>
>>28616230
>Implying
I'm not American, but I have used the M2 (up until we switched out for remote Bushmasters), I like it, but it's obvious that the design is 100 years old and can do with a refresh.
If a country with a shit load less to spend than the US can do it and why isn't the western world doing it?
>>28616233
There's been a few design changes I've heard of, mainly the QCB, but it's still a heavy, complicated thing.
I think the USMC is getting theirs upgraded sometime this year.
>>28616254
Sure, when it was designed it was the pinnacle of machine gun technology, no one can deny the greatness of JMB, but there are contemporary designs that are lighter, less complicated, cheaper, have less recoil and are more adaptable.
>>
>>28616299
>but there are contemporary designs that are lighter, less complicated, cheaper, have less recoil and are more adaptable

Such as?
>>
>>28616233
>werks
Found ze german
>>
>>28616286
Correct me if I wrong but isn't the M2 coming up to 100 years old?
>>
>>28616310
It was designed in 1918, but it wasn't in US service until 1933.
>>
>>28616302
The Russian Kord, as an example of one that has been fielded en masse.
But there have been various projects over the years that have produced objectively better guns, but just end up being defunded.
>>
>>28616313
Original design was 1916 or earlier, the original M2 was adopted from the 1918 variant.
>>
>>28616310
Designed - 1918
Produced - 1921
Adopted - 1933
Around 3 million made
Source - wikipedia
>>
Why hasn't 9mm been replaced?

IT'S OVER A HUNDRED YEARS OLD!!

Forget about the M2, that's young in comparison!

9mm is over a century old.

It's obviously obsolete, guys.

It's even older than the legendary .45 ACP!
>>
>>28616325
Cartridge technology has advanced less than firearm technology in general.
Caseless didn't take off and in the end it's just brass to hold some powder and a bullet, you can't improve it that much.
Necking down cartridges adds some advantages but also disadvantages.
Using other materials than brass doesn't change the size

There's better stuff than the M2 Browning, but it's not a big enough improvement that it justifies retooling factories which brings costs.
It's like the B-17 vs B-24, B-24 was more modern and better but not good enough that it justified retooling the B-17 factories to B-24 plants.
>>
>>28616325
Nobody is saying the .50 cal is old.
But many are saying that the M2 is.
>>
>>28616339

>firearm technology

That sounds a lot like reinventing the wheel.

You should write gun ads and convince buyers that what we have today is totally better than what we had decades ago.

Which is the total opposite of reality, lol

Cars, guns, etc were all better decades ago. If you get in a wreck with a car made in the 70s with a brand new car, you'll wrap around it like you hit a telephone pole.

I saw a microwave in a guys car shop last week, it looked like it was made in the 60s. It still worked. Where I live we use a microwave made within the last ten years probably.... It's a piece of crap.
>>
>>28616368
Jesus Christ you're retarded.
>>
>>28616368
> car made in the 70s
We only remember the good cars from the 70s because all the shit ones are already long gone.

Also modern cars crumple in accidents because a crumple zone is a lot safer.
And have fun in your "better" Ford Pinto as it burns up when a shopping cart hits it from behind
>>
>>28616224
Ain't broke. Too expsensive. Looks sexy.
>>
>>28616368
>If you get in a wreck with a car made in the 70s with a brand new car, you'll wrap around it like you hit a telephone pole.
Snapping your spine in the process. I kind of get what you're talking about, 'back in the day' things tended to be built to last, cars especially.
If you were going to go with cars as an example, you should have gone with build quality and longevity, not their performance in crashes, which is one area in which they have improved.
>>
>>28616299
>If a country with a shit load less to spend than the US can do it and why isn't the western world doing it?

That's precisely why. Bigger force = bigger price for a full procurement overhaul.

Why do you think the AR-15 remained despite Eugene Stoners' magnus opus being the AR-18 and Stoner 63A? Alread had bought too many of the fucking things.
>>
>>28616414
Russia isn't exactly a small military, sure it's not as vast as the US, but they're working with a lot less money.

If the US can find hundreds of billions of dollars to develop and purchase the F-35, they could sure spend a billion or so on modernising their equipment and increasing their soldiers' capabilities.

Sure planes win wars, no fucking doubt about it, but if you can reasonably improve, why not?
>>
>>28616397

Uh huh.... crumple zones, huh?

And if you hit a deer going 25 mph it totals the car.

>>28616409

Fair enough. I'm glad you get what I'm trying to say. I was told GM discontinued a motor because it didn't break down enough and they were concerned it would put mechanics out of work and piss off the union.

THIS WORLD IS RIDICULOUS AND I'M NOT GOING TO STOP BITCHING ABOUT IT

Not for a little while, at least.

This is stupid.
>>
File: Right in the gabba mate.jpg (118KB, 1200x799px) Image search: [Google]
Right in the gabba mate.jpg
118KB, 1200x799px
>>28616304
>>
>>28616319
>objectively better
Are they objectively better to the extent that its worth the untold cost of replacing the weapon? I doubt it.
>>
First .50 cal M2HB I fired was made in 1945. That was in 1986.
In 1990, I was issued a fifty that was made in 1970.
The only difference between the guns was the details stamped on the body.
A few guns later I got the QCB. no real difference in the operation of the gun, just s new barrel extension and barrel.
The reliability of the guns was always better than the Bren, M60 and MAG58. The only MG that I have used that is more reliable than the fifty is the MG3, a 1940's design.

I have a grate fondness for Mr Brownings' guns. I still miss the M1919.
>>
>>28616409
>'back in the day' things tended to be built to last, cars especially
Can you back that up with empirical studies and not anecdotes?

The 70s cars that easily broke down are long forgotten because nobody drives them any more.

>>28616446
>I want an unsafe car, the post.
>>
>>28616446
Well built-in obsolescence is absolutely ridiculous, but hey, what are you going to do about it.

As for the deer thing, yeah, its going to fuck your car up, but I'd rather have a car that will get fucked up in the event of hitting a deer that also won't kill me in a 25mph crash with another vehicle.
>>
>built-in obsolescence didn't exist in the past
>>
The real question is why haven't we deployed a modernized M2 with lighter weight. Surely with some new and exotic materials it can be made at least mildly man portable.
>>
>>28616453
you should read what the Vickers could do. 5 millions rounds with no breakage or significant wear and still be in spec.

>https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Vickers
>the most exhaustive trial probably ever fired from a Vickers took place in 1963 at Strensall Barracks in Yorkshire, England. Five million rounds were fired from a single Vickers which was kept in constant use for seven days and seven nights.
>We inspected and gauged. No measurable difference anywhere. It had eaten barrels, they were changed every hour to 1½ hours, but mechanically [the gun] was unchanged.
>>
>>28616455

All cars break down.

The difference is if a 70s car breaks down you can probably repair it with a screwdriver and pocket knife. Maybe a little duct tape.

If a modern car breaks down you need a fucking computer.

Oh, and I only drive unsafe cars. I hit an interstate sidewall going like 60mph and kept driving it until it was stolen. The alignment was fucked before that happened, too. Now my car burns rubber when I use the brakes and I have to pump the brakes, too lol

>>28616461

>what are you going to do about it

Nothing. I can't do anything about it. Built in obsolescence is literally going to murder me. Adam and Eve were going to be immortal but then God said "lolnope" and he's been pulling the killswitch earlier and earlier... humans used to live to be like 700 years old.

Fuck that shit. Fuck this planet. I want to go back to the black void I was in before I came here. At least I'll forget about all the scam artist bullshit pulled on me by people I was supposed to be able to trust.
>>
>>28616490
I think this guy is literally insane.
>>
>>28616490
Kill yourself.
>>
>>28616451
I'd say it's worth it in the long run.
>>
>>28616409
And engines. You can get more then 150 kilowatts per liter now, something that no engine in the '70s could ever do.

A half decent car now would blow the doors off anything on the road in the 70's.
>>
>>28616473
But at that point you'd need new tooling and manufacturing techniques anyway.

Why make new materials into an old design when you can make new materials into a new design.
>>
>>28616505

Billions of people believe that death has been cured, Jesus walked on water, and that the afterlife is real....

But go ahead and single me out and say I'm CRAZYYYYY because I think built in obsolescence is the reason I'm going to grow old and die.

Go right on ahead.

You know about e-books, right? You know they still try to put in an automatic deletion function, right?

All books could be FREE AND PUBLICLY AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE but... lolnope. You think humanity is decent or something?

You wouldn't think God would go through the same phase and pull the same shit?

Our bodies are made from billions of tiny robots that follow a program. The program has been sabotaged.
>>
>>28616319
And what exactly does the Kord bring to the table that the M2 doesn't?
>>
>>28616524
>Our bodies are made from billions of tiny robots that follow a program.
Negative, I am a meat possible.
>>
>>28616490
>If a modern car breaks down you need a fucking computer.

You don't have a computer? A ten dollar tool can pull trouble codes off your car and save you days of figuring out what is wrong. After that, repairs aren't really any harder then they were in Ye Olden Days..

And in ye fucking olden days there were plenty of things that could go wrong where you were buying a new part and spending hours of work getting it running again. A big block chevy that fucks up a head gasket or throws a rod fucks your whole weekend and means you aren't going to be fixing it with a socket set and a knife on the roadside.

And when, not if, that shitty fucking three speed transmission dies you are in for a month of weekends and nights.
>>
File: 1453176628100.gif (694KB, 250x230px) Image search: [Google]
1453176628100.gif
694KB, 250x230px
>>28616490
>>28616524
This man hypothetically owns firearms.
>>
>>28616435
Yes, but you have to justify it.
'Hey let's spend billions on this gun that functions more or less perfectly in its intended role. Its only drawback is that's its a bit heavy, even though that doesn't matter since its not supposed to be man portable, that's what SAW's and M240's are for'.
>>
>>28616446
Look for, the union label...
>>
>>28616529
It's lighter.
It's cheaper.
It's less complicated and less likely to fail.
It's easier to repair.
It has less recoil.
It can be fielded as a GPMG.
It can be fired from a bipod.
It has a QCB system.

It's a better design, but it took nearly 100 years to reach it.
>>
>>28616455
Why do you think they put V8's in everything back then? They were underpowered as hell so it wasn't for speed. It was because they lasted.
I think probably applies more to cheaper goods than more expensive items like cars. Expensive modern items are as well built now as they were then. Cheaper items aren't. Furniture is a pretty good example. Here in bongland they built cheap furniture after the war to help families who were bombed out, it was cheap but sturdy, dovetailed joints etc
Modern cheap furniture is usually just plywood that been nailed together and its wobbly as fuck.
Anyway, I've gone off on a tangent now. The point is, inbuilt obsolescence is a thing and its a pain.

Back to the actual point of thread, the M2 gets shit done and nothing they've come up with (and they have been trying out new ideas) is superior enough to justify billions of dollars and god knows how much time.
>>
>>28616490
I was following you on the 'old stuff lasted longer' but you lost me with 'humans used to live 700 years'.
>>
>>28616573
>QCB'ing with a 12.7mm MG
Got any source? I'm just curious.
>>
>>28616536
>meat possible
You had one job....
>>
>>28616603
https://youtu.be/5ZHZFCnYlJU

>>28616614
FUCK
Fucking autocorrect.
>>
>>28616230
butthurt: the post
>>
>>28616588
Don't try to understand him.
I think he's actually insane.
And not "haha funny /k/o/k/o" insane - he's senile grandam shouting at the fridge insane.
>>
>>28616549

I'm a felon. I'm pretty sure I've been on a government watch list a long time.

I guess I hurt someone's feelings or something.

I guess I understand why god programmed killswitches in us, now...

My entire life I've been manipulated and controlled by other people, I've been watched, spyed on, had dicks tail my car... death is really the only thing I'm looking forward to.

I'm not "planning" on going on a murder spree, I know they could just alter the timeline and make it seem like it never happened.

Artificial miracles.. artificial everything :(

I'm a Barbie girl... in a Barbie world.... lol this plane of existence is just some giant aliens dollhouse and we are tiny toy people, right?

Yep I went insane long ago. Building a spaceship is literally the only thing on my to do list.
>>
>>28616650
Exactly how many Luty sub guns have you made?
>>
>>28616650
When the revolution comes, you're the first one up against the wall
>>
>>28616650
Who? Programmed what?
Explain, please...
>>
>>28616588

Haven't you read apocryphal texts? Books that were cut from what the church wanted in the bible?

Back when man was of one language and one nation, they built the tower of Babel.... 3 miles high. That's literally what the Jews believe, it's in the Book of Jasher.

Who knows what technology the ancient world had... one guy specializing in a field for centuries? Modern humans went from the first manned flight to landing on the moon in a few decades, dude.

Our bodies are marvels of nanotechnology... we are self replicating robots. Look at viruses. They couldn't have evolved naturally! Google it! They were created.

It's a strange world.
>>
>>28616663

None.

>>28616672

What goes around, comes around... why do you think it's called "revolution"?

Welcome to earth, where we take turns abusing each other.

That's literally our history.

Washington betrayed the crown, then when he became president his own citizens betrayed him... whisky rebellion. It's literally a cycle of abuse.
>>
>>28616626
No worries, I'm posting from a phone too, its new so it doesn't know any swear words.
Why exactly are you QCB'ing with it though? If your support weapons are having to engage in QCB surely something has gone tits up?
>>
>>28616687
I don't suppose you've ever abused any animals?
It's just if you had then I'd be able to put you up there with antman.
>>
>>28616683

You know DNA is a code, right? You know your body is made of millions of tiny animals, right? You know those animals follow the codes instructions, right?

You know originally the code was meant to sustain a human body forever, right?

If it doesn't.... that means a killswitch was deliberately put in our bodies.

Now I'm not the smartest guy, I'm not very educated in biology, and I'm not very educated in scripture...

But I'm pretty sure what I'm saying here is very accurate.
>>
>>28616703
>it's new so it doesn't know any swear words.
I love that this is a thing.

Also, you're mixing up QCB and CQB.

QCB means quick change barrel.
It's pretty vital for a machine gun in a GPMG role.
>>
>>28616687
The judeo Christian religion has been thrice manipulated in the past several thousand years. It is a tool that a bunch of proto gypsies made up in the desert by stealing motifs from pagan cultures and borrowing constellation maps for their important calendar dates. Everything you base this conspiracy theory off of is either a whimsical metaphor used to convey a lesson or teaching that was practical for a primitive desert folk, or is a story that pairs up with an important day of the calendar.

Your conspiracy theories are not only wrong, they're not even that good. You're a shit babbler, I've heard better from homeless people with no internet.
>>
>>28616224
>>half the weight,

half of 100 pounds is still 50 pounds. It's not really something infantry can easily carry. If you're just mounting it on vehicles, 100 lb vs 50 pound doesn't make a lot of difference.

maybe once they manage to work a decent .50cal mg weighting 20 pounds, then they will replace it.
>>
>>28616723
Fuck.
Well, I feel like an utter, utter tard.
I don't think there's any coming back from that level of stupidity, excuse me while I go suckstart a shortgun.
>>
>>28616446
I will for a ems agency that cuts cars. We've been doing it since 1954. In 1970 we cut 175 cars apart to get to people. That's about a cut every other day.

In 2015, we cut two people out of one car.

Cars are insanely safer today. So your car hits a deer and breaks some plastic, point is you walk away from the collision.
>>
>>28616713

I burned a few bugs with a magnifying glass, then I got a HUGE sunburn that blistered my back and peeled skin from my flesh. I dunked a cat in a rain bucket and then I nearly drowned in a water park. This happened when my age was in the single digits. I was young.

Oh yea, if you abuse animals you don't get away with it apparently.

You know.... we farm and eat animals... do you believe in skinwalkers, anon? Maybe they are the farmers? Maybe they are the scarecrows....?

You better start believing in ghost stories.
>>
>>28616739
Mate, it's a minor mistake and you were hardly a dick about it. These things happen sometimes.
>>
>>28616728
25kg split between two soldiers is a very huckable weight.
The Russians have been using the Kord as a squad level support weapon for years now.
>>
>>28616717
>Now I'm not the smartest guy, I'm not very educated in biology, and I'm not very educated in scripture...
>But I'm pretty sure what I'm saying here is very accurate.
so basically
>I have no idea what I'm talking about but I'm pretty sure I'm right
>>
>>28616739
Don't worry, it's a very simple mistake and you weren't a cunt about it.
The more you know...
>>
>>28616750
I know, but I still feel like a tit. The fact that I thought QCB'ing was ridiculous with a Kord should have lead me to the conclusion that is ridiculous since you actually said QCB.
Ah well, thank you for being reasonable about it.
>>
>>28616724

>stealing pagan myths

Dude, even scientologists believe the same thing everyone does. They are all literally the same story. Replace xenu with Yahweh, man. It's the same fucking story. The bible even says the origin of life on earth came from somewhere else.
>>
File: 173657-bhutan-royal-wedding.jpg (159KB, 1170x1060px) Image search: [Google]
173657-bhutan-royal-wedding.jpg
159KB, 1170x1060px
>>28616650
>I'm a felon

Fucking shocking
>>
>>28616745
You're getting towards antman levels. Now keep it up for 6 months and start complaining more and more about crippling headaches and lapsea in reason.
>>
>>28616771
Definitely, I'll read more carefully when I see any combination of the letters Q, C and B.
>>
>>28616742

I can't disagree with that.

I've seen the picture of the car that got flattened by a semi and the guy inside didn't break a bone.

But while you're all focusing on cars remember I mentioned things like appliances also.

>>28616770

Go ahead and refute what I'm saying, then. I just stated my opinion and said I'm not a scholar or anything.
>>
>>28616766
the gun itself is 50 pound, and you can't split that.
>>
>>28616717
>But I'm pretty sure what I'm saying here is very accurate.

You are a very foolish person.
But, I'd play Uno with you.
>>
>>28616695
Washington was a British spy who was set out to keep ties with British forces while propelling the revolution. Britain has and always will be our leader. Why is it that every conflict ourselves or British people get into, Canada and Australia always follow? The whiskey rebellion was justified because the Washington immediately shit on the principles he fought for when he took control. And the principles were fucking dumb anyway, taxation is necessary to maintain a country that actually matters on the world stage.

You're not a /K/ook, you're just a dumbfuck hippie with a warped view of reality. Conflict, death, and change are all necessary factors of life and humanity. Why is it that mass plague death in the middle ages led to a renaissance? Why was the greatest generation in America created from two world wars? Why are the purest and most beautiful people in Europe from violent Viking countries? And why did they become weak and brown when there was enough peace in the world? Why did the most plentiful and providing continents in the world only lead to tribesman who chucked spears and picked berries in shit huts, while the most arrid shitholes in the desert created races that made empires?

Conflict, death, and obstacles breed out the weak, make us hard, and promote improvement.
>>
>>28616774
Aren't there supposed to be only 6 or 7 storylines in the world? (IIRC).
>>
>>28616782

Oh dude I'm past that point.

I've been past that point for a long time.
>>
>>28616782
Don't talk about antman, or you feed the guy who made up the character.
>>
I started a thread asking about HMGs and we fucking find a successor to Antman.
>>
File: 1452940000949.gif (803KB, 400x446px) Image search: [Google]
1452940000949.gif
803KB, 400x446px
>OP wants to replace the gun that has served through WWII, Korea, Nam, Grenada, Desert Storm, Bosnia, OEF, and Iraqi Freedom
>Replacing the last JMB design in US service
>Last time we did that we got the M9
>MFW Beretta gets a contract to replace the M2 and ruins everything
>>
>>28616798
Regardless, it's still man portable.
>>
>>28616809

Your views are flawed.

We lived in ice cold rainy shitholes for centuries. OF COURSE WE BUILT HOUSES WITH FIREPLACES. When we moved to America and started going west, it got HOT AS HELL so we built air conditioning.

And you think tribesmen are primitive? They hunt all day and fuck all night. That's a more alpha lifestyle than ours by far. AND they walk around with jewelry on their dicks.

Stay beta, whitey. And stay jelly. Everyone knows rednecks would live the same way if they wouldn't fry to a crisp in the sun.
>>
File: image goes here.png (339KB, 823x720px) Image search: [Google]
image goes here.png
339KB, 823x720px
>this entire thread
>>
>>28616828
Or...
>FN gets the contract to replace the M2.
>Dakka is heard unto the night.
>>
>>28616819

I've been on /k/ for the better part of a decade.

You guys believe in SKINWALKERS.

Y'all can't talk shit.

I've been here long enough to know we're all insane.
>>
>>28616856
Stop man.
Just stop.

You win, you're next level insane.
Just please stop.
>>
>>28616854
>FN gets the contact
>Makes more M2s anyway, fuck new factories

>>28616836
Redskin plz go, chief can't watch hentai with you hogging all the bandwith
>>
>>28616859

To me, I'm the sane one and you guys are crazy.

Your made of millions of tiny animals, your body has a killswitch, every culture believes the source of life didn't originate from earth... and you don't give a shit? Viruses are created by an intelligent creature... and you're not at all concerned about this?

You guys are the ones that are fucking nuts in my opinion!

Let that swirl around in your dome for awhile.
>>
>>28616810

I'm not sure...

Our language got confused. It makes sense our beliefs would have the same thing happen.

Humanity used to have one language, one creation story...

Now we have many languages but they are basically the same... many creation stories but they are basically the same...
>>
>>28616368
>>28616446
>>28616490
>>28616524
>>28616650
>>28616687
>>28616695
>>28616717
>>28616745
>>28616794
>>28616836
>>28616856
>>28616900

The late night furry shit on the /arg/ threads is tame compared to this lunatic.
>>
>>28616900
Dude, you need to chill.
Zorblax did not make humans and then invent viruses to kill us inefficiently.

How many times have you watched Prometheus?
>>
>>28616916

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
>>
>>28616473
Probably not even exotic material, just ample use of aluminium
>>
>>28616934
how about this
>>>/d/
>>
>>28616516
Yup.
Inb4 the 100mpg car. It's fake.
Inb4 Geo Metro or some other old high mpg car, they're puny and horribly weak. Today's cars get mpg without being shitty at everything else.
>>
File: yggdrasil_by_fenix42.jpg (354KB, 900x1208px) Image search: [Google]
yggdrasil_by_fenix42.jpg
354KB, 900x1208px
>>28616930

Prometheus was good, and all.

Makes me wonder.... what if "earth" in genesis was all the planets together as one? Then the schism started and creation began breaking apart... Look at the word "planet".... "plane-ette"... "mini plane"... as in "plane of existence"... geometrically speaking, it makes sense. Spiritually speaking, it makes sense that the creation itself could be confused and confounded for the same reasons our language and creation stories were... and also there is more to our language than meets the eye. Numerology, anagrams, etc. Patterns and codes.

"Holy Bible" has a interesting anagram- "Bio by Hell".

The teachings of Jesus even imply time travel, in my opinion. I need help having things explained to me.
>>
>>28616957

The M2s weight contributes to recoil reduction.
>>
>>28616687
>Viruses could not have evolved naturally
But that's wrong, and not in an epic atheist way, but it a "you are factually incorrect" way
>>
>>28616984
Is it every really used outside mounted positions?
>>
>>28616992

How?

They would have had to go from a more complex organism into a less complex organism.

They would literally be evolving the wrong way!

>fuck you, nature.. you can't tell me what to do
>>
>>28616856
>You guys believe in SKINWALKERS.
What? Naww, we don't worry about those.
>>
>>28616977
What do we even call this cunt?
>>
>>28617000
>organism
well a virus isn't one kiddo.
>>
>>28616995

It helps muzzle flip too.
>>
>>28616995
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock
Yes.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-20-21-52-36.png (104KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-20-21-52-36.png
104KB, 1080x1920px
>>28616703
>tfw Australian so your phone has no issues calling people cunts.
>>
>>28617000
But there are multiple means by which microscopic life could easily be degenerated. Any kind of large traumatic change or event could cause a microscopic colony to begin dying off, and then those that had mutated to be mechanically simpler and more efficient would survive. And viruses, if created in this matter, would all but stop evolving due to the cloning nature of their reproductive cycle.

Hell, the same process roughly happened to all matter of life between the Dinosaurs and modern day - some kind of cataclysmic event killed off most of the huge complex powerful dinosaurs and giant mammals and left the little simple ones behind.
Evolution is not a straight path.
>>
>>28617014

I've been on /k/ for the better part of a decade.

You will confuse me with other posters unless you recognize one of my unique stories.
>>
>>28617030

Ok... well how come viruses haven't evolved into protozoa yet???
>>
>>28616224
Because for an expeditionary force small arms matter very little compared to aircraft, vehicles, ships and overseas bases. M2 does the job well enough, just like the m16/m4.
>>
>>28617036
Can you be the first high freest of the /k/ube?
I feel like your insanity would add legitimacy to our cause.
>>
>>28617071
>The M14 does its job very well.
>The M1 does its job very well.
>The 1903 does its job very well.
>>
File: backitup.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
backitup.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>28616446
>"And if you hit a deer going 25 mph it totals the car."
>wants car to stay intact and occupants to die
go back to /o/ faggit
>>
>>28616254
I second this.

>>28616299
>Sure, when it was designed it was the pinnacle of machine gun technology, no one can deny the greatness of JMB, but there are contemporary designs that are lighter, less complicated, cheaper, have less recoil and are more adaptable.

Do us all a favor and pencil out a new design that does everything the M2 does, but better. while avoiding the colossal costs to change factory infrastructure to manufacture the thing.
>>
>>28616446
>Uh huh.... crumple zones, huh?
>And if you hit a deer going 25 mph it totals the car.

You're as auto-ignorant as the gun-ignorant.
>>
>>28617232
>The M14 does its job very well.
Read litteraly anything about it and that is false
>The M1 does its job very well.
When standard infantry rifles were bolt action it did the job exceedingly well
>The 1903 does its job very well
Eh, it did okay.

All these were appropriate for their time, when the 1903 was in service it was against other bolt actions, when the Garand was in service it was against again bolt actions and the M14 was a clusterfuck that was rightfully called back.

I am actually for serious development for a new HMG but retooling costs simply aren't there yet. Hopefully what ever is adopted next doesn't mangle the fuck out of the brass so I can justify getting a fuckhuge pallet of cases in a govt. Liquidation sale
>>
>>28616230
>this is what /k/ has become
>>
>>28616465
It did, but the definition shifted in the 50's. Before then it was the practice of convincing consumers that they needed a new model each year, after that it was the practice if purposefully ensuring that products wouldn't last past a certain point, so you had to buy a new one.
>>
>>28617025
He wasn't lugging it around though, it was still mounted in a firing position.
>>
>>28616766
>The Russians have been using the Kord as a squad level support weapon for years now.
Which works great, until you realise how much ammo you'd have to carry to keep it fed.
>>
>>28617028
Call mates cunt, call cunts mate.
>>
>>28617592
...which was often quite a bit behind enemy lines. He lugged it.
>>
File: .50.jpg (163KB, 800x570px) Image search: [Google]
.50.jpg
163KB, 800x570px
>>28616626
The gun simply cannot be improved upon unless you replace the round.

Any questions?
>>
>>28616900
Source that viruses were designed by an intelligent creature and just general info about the stuff you are talking about.

I fucking love this kind of stuff.
>>
>>28616833
By that definition the M2 is man portable as well.
>>
>>28616541
To add to that: modern technology also helps the old stuff. Still wanna run a carburetor on an old car, but can't get it dialed in properly? Modern wideband lambda sensors make carb tuneup easy as hell.

>blown head gasket
I've seen roadside repair for that. Half the time they work, the other half resulted in warped heads
>throw a rod
Some old engine (notably the Chrysler Slant Six) didn't give a fuck about that, unless you had some extra crankcase ventilation (AKA: a fucking hole in the block/pan). Could drive them home. Somehow, engines like that don't exist anymore.

>shitty three speed transmission
Apart from synchros, transmissions in old and new cars are virtually identical. New materials, new gear ratios, but the concept of two shafts with gear on them still applies.
>>
>>28617637
actually, they just (just being we had them at a SOF unit like 2 years ago before I got out) fixed the barrel so you don't have to head space it, pop it out and slide in the new one. very nice
>>
>>28616516
70's is a bad era to call, given all the smog era limitations. In the late 60's however, car manufacturers were already working on aluminium 550+ hp engines. Not exactly small ones or fuel efficient ones, but still. Comparing ourselves to the gimped late 70's shows a poor image of how far we've really come in terms of engine development.
>>
>>28617637
It can be lighter.
It can be cheaper.
It can be less complex.
>>
>>28617686
could you explain what you said better? No more mittens and standing there to switch out a hot barrel?
>>
>>28617701
right, obviously the barrel still gets hot, but it swaps out like a 249 barrel now. rotate the handle, slide it out, and then just put the new one in
>>
>>28616516
>kilowatts per liter
>kilowatts
Stop this. Electric motor output is measured in watts, ICE output is measured in HP.
Also, power per liter is a stupid measure. Thermal effiency, volumaetric effiency, BMEP and such are better at showing how much engines evolved.
>>
>>28617697
>lighter either means unmanageable recoil or reduced muzzle velocity.

>cheaper means unreliable.

>less complicated? It's a recoil operated.
>>
>>28616516
I'd love to see a Camry outrun a '69 ZL1.
>>
>>28617714
you mean a 240 barrel. a 249 barrel is simply a latch.
>>
>>28617736
yes correct
I just got up and I haven't had to army in a long time
>>
>>28617726
Like the Kord, you can lower the weight of the weapon AND reduce recoil.

Cheaper doesn't mean less reliable, more modern designs and production methods significantly reduce cost.

The M2 operates on a simple principle, but it is internally a complex design, there are more modern designs with less to go wrong.
>>
>>28617637
All you can do is minor improvements like changing materials really. There's no reason for big changes to a great design.

See M85
>>
>>28616529
Well for one a muzzle brake that allows it to be fired from a bipod instead of a tripod because someone decided to use their brain designing it rather than putting an 11° finish on the barrel
>>
>>28616224
Did you say "reliability issues"? I've been in for 8 years, infantry. Literally been around M2's my entire career, the last three variants... I have NEVER seen an FTF, runaway gun, or jam in a M2 Caliber .50, ever. The ONLY issues I've ever seen are when mounted on an M151E2 RWS Protector or a CROWS system, and that's usually due to shitty solenoids or improper mounting procedures.
>>
>>28616798
You can remove the barrel and the bipod, and have the ammunition split. All of that in a fighting load is at least 50kg lighter than a ma-deuce assembly in fighting load.
Split 50-75kg fighting load including ammunition between 2-3 soldiers or split a 150kg fighting load between 2-3 soldiers. Which is better?
>>
>>28617757
And, sure people say "it's heavy and clunky", no shit, that's probably why it's indestructible, stop being a little bitch. The new QCB and lightweight receiver are tits.
>>
>>28616809
Clearly you fail to see the differentiation between taxation with and without representation.
>>
>>28617757
The M2 is reliable, but it's complex and these guns are in service for literal decades.
Eventually something will break, but the likelihood of something breaking increases with the amount of parts involved.
>>
>>28617745
reduced recoil and weight is a substantial reduction in accuracy and muzzle velocity.

>>28617743
okei.

>>28617745
I would love to see a side by side comparison for the two. But I'd rather have the M2. What about you?
>>
>>28617697

why does everyone want to make it lighter? It's vehicle mounted, the most you could save is a few pounds tops, which doesn't matter to any vehicle we mount it on.

>but sensei you could use it for GPMG/CQB

that's what we have the M240 and M249 for you idiot. Please come talk to my unit about how you want to use an M2 for dismounted ops so we can laugh at your dumb ass.

Literally the M2 is vehicle or fixed emplacement only. Anything else we get an M240 or an M249 for because they are actually designed from scratch for the role.
>>
>>28617045
A. Some may have
B. Those that have not, are more efficient in the current biosphere as-is. THey work perfectly well as viruses. If it ain't broke, it ain't gonna change.
>>
>>28617718
Not really.

Only thing that matters at the end of the day is how many energy your car gets out of a given ammount of powersource.

And that is effiency.

No need for fancy graphs amd contry-calculation really
>>
>>28617780

the M2 is not complex at all and you can just have an armorer replace parts on it.

All of the improvements people want to make to it seem to involve making it have more and lighter parts anyway, which would make it more unreliable.
>>
>>28617782
The Kord is reportedly very accurate, much more so than the NSV AND DShK.

Personally, I can't say for sure (I've only used the M2 obviously), but if the Kord is everything that people who've used it have said it is, I'd take it in a heart beat.

It's more just a thought to say, if it can be done better, why the fuck aren't we?
>>
>>28616588
there's a few characters in the old testament that live for crazy long times. i assume this guy takes the bible to be entirely literal.
>>
>>28617000
There's no "wrong" way of evolution
>>
>>28617806
>given ammount of powersource.
Exactly. Liters of fuel. Not liters of engine displacement.

Chemical energy (in fuel) x engine efficiency = engine output. Engine effiency nowadays has very, very little to do with displacement, and more with the utilised technology.
>>
>>28617746
That's a hand grenade. That's not a even remotely fair comparison
>>
>>28617798
>Missing the point.
>The post.
>>
>>28617807
Modern manufacturing techniques allow us to make shit simpler and lighter.
The reason the M2 is expensive is because the tooling is ancient, there's arse loads of material involved and the design is fairly complex compared to more modern guns.
>>
>>28617841
There are quite a few people who do, ad many who are die-hard believers of the 6000 year old earth who claim dinosaur fossils are put here by God to "test our faith"
>>
>>28616541
We have a company that comes in when there is a computer problem on a car. More than once I've seen them leave scratching their heads.
>>
>>28616224

Have they invented another weapon that can do the same job significantly better?

If not, there is no reason to replace.
>>
>>28616541
Clearly hasn't worked on modern cars. Also the cheap scantools do not pull dealer only codes/DTCs
>>
>>28616409
Collision fag here. Boron steel, dual phase steels,HSS, and HSLA steels that are used in modern cars. Its not like it used to be. Google 2009 Malibu vs 1959 Bel Air if you want a real education.
>>
>>28617852
>M85
>hand grenade
>>
>>28616230
Amrifat retard found
>>
>>28616224
Because it lobs many bullet in relatively same direction just fine.
>>
>>28616446
>I was told
>>
>>28616687
D-do people like this really exist...I - IM afraid
>>
>>28616286
a hundred or more
>>
>>28617620
No, he didn't.
>>
>>28616282
The only way to make it lighter would be to switch out parts for polymer ones (which is really out of the question because of hot the gun can get during operation) or a lighter metal (but since its employed mostly from vehichals and rarely from the tripod the cost of replscing them wouldnt be worth it anyway)
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (130KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
130KB, 1920x1080px
>>28617891
>Modern manufacturing techniques allow us to make shit simpler and lighter.
Why? Name the modern technique that would allow us to make parts of the M2 'simpler and lgihter'. Go ahead, tell me of these wonderous things.
Wake up. Things don't all progress at once. Sure, aircraft, tanks etc are FAAAAAAAAARRR ahead of what they were when the M2 was itnroduced, HMG's aren't really, there's only so much you can do as long as you're still using brass cartridges firing a standard projectile.
>the design is fairly complex compared to more modern guns.
It's a fucking box with a recoiling bolt in it and some gubbins in it. Please though, do enlighten me with a competing system/mechanism that is light enough in comparison to justify the cost of retooling EVERYTHING, re-issuing, re-training, re-supplying, equipping repair workshops, teaching armourers, teaching grunts etc etc etc
Go on, with all your infinite wisdom of 'modern manufacturing techniques' it should be a doddle.
>>
>>28617931
Sorry, re-reading what I wrote....I meant the person in the 70's car would snap their spine in the process. I fully understand that modern cars are far and away safer (maybe not a Ford KA, the only crumple zone I can see is the drivers skull) than older designs.
>>
>>28617620
Carlos principally used the M24 bolt action in .308.

His .50 M2 work was done from firebases.
>>
>>28617798
>cqb

How would this even work, it can effectively engage to 1830m why would snyone even want to use it, in what i assume cqb translates to, indoors?
>>
Army spent a bunch of money refitting m2s to get an easy to mount barrel, just push in and twist, no headpsace and timing. They can't buy anything new because it will make them look bad
>>
>100 year old heavy piece of shit
>It's IMPOSSIBLE to improve this, guys!
>>
>>28616224
Russia has 12mm gpmgs? You mean truly man portable then too?
>>
>>28616224
yeehaw and uraa for russian replacement programs all you want.
Russian army is in disrepair fielding mismatched equipment. Fuckin t-55's are still in main use out there. They don't have the funds to retrain all their troops every decade to a new gun/vehicle/equipment.
Kords and other replacements are as rare as an94, ak107, ak12 replacements for regular troops.
Only a few units have them, and those units are shown in the press constantly.

Russian army is like air transport:
lots of news about rare shit an unit getting modern equipment no news how 90% is still from 70's

Which is why US doesn't bother changing shit like that. Sure a better HMG would be a bit lighter, bit more reliable, bit cheaper but it won't change the game enough to be worth it.
thermals, night vision goggles for every soldier, stealth aircraft, UAV's are gamechangers, not a slightly improved HMG or rifle.
>>
>>28619723
Caseless rounds weighing half as much, and a gun weighing a third would be an improvement
Or replacing the HMG with 25/30/40 mm air bursting grenade launcher
>>
>>28617767
You know that 25kg of ammo for the kord is less than 250 rounds, right?
It is really only worth for the russian doctrine which takes into account lack of air support.
US has air superiority doctrine so US infantry squads have based 1200 rounds of 30mm @ 4000 rpm at hand.

So no, having an heavy .50 weapon in an infantry squad fatiquing a 5 man team is useless when you could have that 5 man team carry special equipment and ammo for SAW's, which do just about the same as a .50.
>>
>>28616224
>Kord
Their newest HMG. 56.22lbs when stripped of EVERYTHING, over 130lbs when all accessories are included (6P50-3 infantry version WITHOUT mount, just a bipod). Adopted in 1998.
>NSV
Adopted in 1971. 55.2lbs without tripod. 50RPM higher ROF.

You sir are full of shit.

Also, we've been incrementally upgrading the M2.
>it has a safety now
That threw me for a loop once when I went to qual on another unit's guns.
>shorter, lighter, stiffer barrel
They've even got fluted ones now.
>some models have alloy (not sure WHICH alloy, but it's not straight steel) receivers that shaved about 15lbs off the gun
>adjustable buffers that allow dialing the ROF down to ~200RPM or up to 1200RPM
>changes to barrel and receiver no longer require headspace and timing every time you swap barrels
>it has a combination brake/FH now. Doesn't shut off your NVG's any more and can actually be fired without the T&E being locked
>redesigned feed pawls to reduce belt jamming
>>
>>28619807
Yes but caseless technology is at unknown state. There's some info about telescopic SAW, but after what a failure G11 was, caseless isn't really being pursued.

Propably we'll get a really short caseless period followed by laser weaponry.
>>
>>28616286
M2 from now to the heat death of the universe.
>>
>>28619807
US doctrine is that HMG's are -only- mounted on vehicles.

When the Marines tried to walk .50's through Fallujah on a gun line, on foot, literally every other US person even tertiarily affiliated with the military went WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU RETARDS DOING and their commander was relieved shortly.

So shaving 33% off a <100lb gun will do what? Buy enough weight to throw another flat of bottled water or another coil of concertina on the truck?

Also, we still haven't figured out how to get a 25/40mm grenade to go more than 1km, compared to the effective (area fire) range of >2km of the M2.
>>
>>28619723
>Fuckin t-55's are still in main use out there.
Yeah, sure, TOTALLY.
>>
>>28617276
This.
>>
>>28619957
You got a good LOL out of that too, eh!
>>
>>28619957
He still has a point that the Russian army is very inconsistently equipped, and all their new "wonderguns" are in extremely limited production.
>>
>>28619912
>Think outside the box
>Get fired
Must be tough in the army.
>>
>>28620116
Usually because those wonderguns are assault rifle platforms with very specific uses.
You're not going to replace the AK74 with a VSS or the like, but you're going to supplement it with them.

The Kord is the only HMG being produced by Russia right now and has been in mass production for almost 15 years now.
>>
>>28617247

Our bodies heal for free.

Our cars do not.

I'm POOR.
>>
Why hasnt the AK been replaced yet? It cant even handle mud
>>
File: 1438024812527.jpg (243KB, 1023x576px) Image search: [Google]
1438024812527.jpg
243KB, 1023x576px
>>28619723
>t-55's
>main use
>russia
You would have been correct if you have been talking about Afghanistan.

All older T-55 and T-62's have been pulled back from main use some time ago.

Last time something old as T-62 was used in combat was in 2008.
>>
>>28620639
>Last time something old as T-62 was used in combat was in 2008.
The T-55 was used by Abkhazia and South Ossetia during 2008.
>>
>>28616717
Literally, the reason we age and die because of old age is because as cells replicate throughout life, little bits of the DNA code either change or get left out, causing things to eventually break down and cease to function. It's not some "killswitch," it's the fact that literally nothing is a perfect system.
>>
>>28620731

What, you think God wouldn't hide the killswitch? You think we'd actually have a chance? Tons of beliefs systems revolve around invisible things.

Mine isn't any different than anyone else's.
>>
>>28619853
I was under the impression that the G11 wasn't even a failure, it's more that it had extremely poor timing next to the widespread adoption of 5.56 NATO
>>
>>28620829
>A legitimate scientific fact that aligns perfectly with the processes of nature, if not even with the constant tend of the universe towards entropy
>hiding the killswitch

I won't deny that I'm religious/spiritual, but damn dude, you're trying to hard to grasp for something that just isn't there.
>>
ITT: A Responsible Gun Owner
>>
>>28620984

But it's everywhere. You call it entropy. It's like the physical world has a physical disorder. A disease.

Did we infect God? God separated light from dark, heavens from earth, etc... if entropy exists it probably means God is "dying".

Such is life, this is hell and you've been dead the whole time, etc
>>
>>28619912
>HMG only mounted on vehicles
>HMG looses 33% weight
>no longer a heavg MG
>new doctrine
>>
>>28620731
>wrong

source: Lobsters
>>
>>28616446
Wait do you actually not understand crumple zones?
>>
>>28621297

I do. I took two years of automotive technology.

I just have a problem with a car that costs someone's entire yearly pay getting totalled from things that would barely scratch an older car.

There has to be a better way.
>>
>>28617931
I'm not disagreeing with you, bit that video was bullshit. Clearly no motor or trans in the '59 and you could see the rust falling off the car before it even impacted.
>>
>>28621347
>Id rather get hardcore whiplash and increase my chance of dying
>>
>>28617247
Fucking piece of shit bikers
>>
>>28621427

I'd rather have a functional automobile after an accident.

I'd rather have a years worth of pay to spend on other things.

I'd rather have a car built like a tank than a tank designed to break.
>>
>>28621587
>Years worth of pay to spend on other things
Like your medical bills from getting rear ended behind a truck at a stoplight?
>>
>>28617020
No it doesn't, the gun is pintle mounted and the majority of the receiver's weight is forcing the barrel upwards.
>>
>>28621552
That biker did literally nothing wrong
So unless you were somehow the driver of the red car, this is bait.
>>
>>28621964

If I got rear ended then paying the bills wouldn't be my problem, right?
>>
>>28616224
Why is it almost every military vid I see with them,especially in battle, has them jamming every 5 fucking shots?
>>
>>28616482
jesus, now that's solid engineering!
>>
>>28616934
>Your dad's dick and your prolapsed anus.

To bad I've already seen both.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (174KB, 1262x632px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
174KB, 1262x632px
>>28616626
That does not look like fun to "quick change"
>>
>>28617798
For shit like the M2 the lower weight would just make it easier to work on. If you can make it lighter without affecting durability then why not, it's a slight pro with no con
>>
>>28618687

Someone made a typo, it's QCB, quick change barrel.
>>
>>28621244

I'm not convinced .50's work in the GPMG role.

the cartridge weigh 100+ grams each, while a 5.56/7.62 weighs 12 and 15 grams respectively.

Load a guy down with 10 KG of ammo and he can only carry 100 rounds, plus the 30kg of the gun itself. The gunner can carry no ammo on him, the assistant can maybe carry 200 ish, and you distribute 50 at most to every other guy in the squad.

Using it for suppression is gross overkill, and for anti-material work a guy with an XM500 can put rounds where it counts almost as well, while toting the gun and a couple dozen rounds by himself.
>>
>>28616224
Cause they just upgraded it to the M2a1
>No more head space & timing
>Flash hider that almost eliminates muzzle flash
>Easier barrel changes
>>
>>28619833
Those sound like some nice improvements. I remember the barrel headspacing improvement was touted as a great improvement. Didn't know about the rest of the stuff.
>>
>>28618328
>I-im a f-faggot
Ftfy
>>
>>28619711
Yes, mass produced since 2001.
>>
>>28627394

There's literally no reason you wouldn't want to bring a heavy weapon on foot too. Even 250 rounds of .50 MG is a devastating amount of firepower for infantry engagements / enemy vehicle targets.
>>
>>28616626
>drawstring to charge it
fuck, that better be made out of something seriously strong
>>
>>28627233
No barrel is fun to quick change.
Mittens are still required.

But it's a pretty nice system compared to older QCB systems.
>>
>>28619723
>Kords are as rare as special snowflake experimental next-gen rifles never produced en masse

Stop.
>>
>>28629175
I think it's pretty neat.
Keeps the receiver shorter and keeps your arms away from the hot receiver.
>>
>>28627462
Yes, but why upgrade it instead of starting trials?
>>
>>28622236
He was taking the piss, fucking tripfags man, I swear.
>>
>>28629203
BECASUE. IT. IS. CHEAPER.
FUCK.
>>
>>28629223
The Russians produced the Lada for decades because it was cheaper than retooling - we all know how that went.
>>
>>28616397

I've been thinking about what you said...

It's true that all the shit cars from decades ago are gone and only the good ones are left.

Very true.
>>
>>28623675
Care to back that up, anon? Cause every time I've seen them they are functioning fine
>>
>>28616490
>If a modern car breaks down you need a fucking computer.
Not really. The same general parts are still there, modern vehicles just do a better job of running themselves efficiently.
>>
>>28629232
I don't know how that went. Please explain
>>
>>28629759
It meant that Ladas were disposably cheap.
It also meant they were unsafe, slow, uneconomical, ugly pieces of shit, only barely better than a Yugo.

Imagine if every car was worse than an early 90's Hyundai.
>>
>>28616446
Simple solution: don't hit a deer
>>
>>28616224
Never gonna replace the freedomcal.
>>
>>28616916
Compiled for posterity.
>>
>>28631259
10/10 filename.
Thankyou.
>>
>>28616224
>tfw you won't live long enough to see the M2 being used against commie/faschist/socialst freedom-hating space aliens
>>
>>28616224
Why replace something that works just fine? Just asking. And I ain't even 'murrican but a yuropoor slavboo..
>>
There are other .50 HMGs in the US military inventory. The M2 hasn't been replaced by those outright, because it just works and they have so many.

The modernization kit that most of the M2s have got in the past few years, have addressed a lot of issues. Like being able to change the barrel with out asbestos mitts and a headspace tool.
>>
>>28616508
From his post it seems he's been trying for a long time.
>>
>>28631729
>Like being able to change the barrel with out asbestos mitts

Even asbestos mitts are just fine if they are new and used properly even in combat conditions. The fact that the mitts are a problem is due to the fact that every military in the world including US are bunch misers who will deploy troops with stuff way pass their expiration date.
>>
>>28616368
>>28616446
>>28616490
>>28616524
>>28616650
>>28616687
>>28616695
>>28616717
>>28616745
>>28616794
>>28616836
>>28616856
>>28616900
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmI-hGthrwA

/k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HA A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM /k/ONDUCTOR, WE HAVE A PROBLEM
>>
>>28629171

Each squad sized unit is limited in the total stuff it can bring.

For the same weight as an Kord + 200 rounds, I world prefer to bring a XM500+50 rounds, then a Carl Gustav + 8 rounds.

Then I still have a few kg's left.
>>
>>28616717
We start to die as we age because the telomeres at the ends of our DNA strands that protect against transcription errors have lost too much material and cellular division can no longer be maintained at the rate necessary for the state of "youth". This can be mitigated by civilized life and modern medicine, cats, for example, live twice as long if they live indoors. But there's no magic to it, just billions of years of random mutations combined with traits that can survive to reproduction, which includes the weird, rare recessive genetic diseases.
>>
>>28624119
The British used to be so great at this sort of thing
>>
>>28616339
Why brass? It's expensive and heavy.
>>
>>28629744
Not just that, but because they're computer-controlled they can self adjust for optimum performance.
>>
>>28616968
kek, underrated post.
>>
How anyone can fall for bait this bad is beyond me
>>
File: 1448345644733.jpg (47KB, 406x598px) Image search: [Google]
1448345644733.jpg
47KB, 406x598px
>>28631259
Thanks bud
>>
File: PAIN AND MISERY.png (134KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
PAIN AND MISERY.png
134KB, 235x235px
>>28620639
Poor guy hasn't been sleeping well, from the looks of things.
The souls of those who died at Grozny, I bet he remembers them all like yesterday.
>>
>>28616524
You realize humans are not programmed for death, right? The gene that would effectively set an "expiration date" on a human isn't present in our DNA. The phrase die of old age is sort of a misnomer for this reason, because age in of itself doesn't kill you. As you get old, your immune system becomes less and less functional until it hits rock bottom and you are basically incapable of defending against contagion. Cancer also becomes more likely as you age, and that might eventually be what kills you. If not that, some kind of nutritional imbalance can cause one of your organs to fail, which might kill you. Basically, age doesn't kill you so much as it is getting old makes you more killable. Something will eventually get you
>>
>>28632181
Or just the fact that cellular division can't keep up anymore will cause organ failure. Or most likely the circulatory system gets so beat up the heart can't keep going.
>>
>>28631259

What's the filename say? I can't see all of it.

I've been shitposting like this FOR YEARS, too.
>>
>>28632467
>krazy uncle who made you drink his white nanobots
>>
>>28616446
>and if you hit a deer going 25mph it totals the car
But you walk away without a single scratch. Do that in a '70s 4-door sedan and you're going to the ER or morgue.

However I do think it's bullshit how worthless bumpers are these days.
>hit squirrel going 45mph in a truck, because lol 6oz animal
>completely shatters front bumper, goes through plastic grille, and perforates radiator
>$4000 in repairs
vs
>hit squirrel going 45mph in '80s truck, because lol 6oz animal
>wipe blood smear off chromed steel bumper
>go get a beer
And those aren't hypotheticals either, I did just that.
>>
>>28632576
>>and if you hit a deer going 25mph it totals the car
>But you walk away without a single scratch. Do that in a '70s 4-door sedan and you're going to the ER or morgue.
Bullshit maybe at 45 mph this would occur but 25? GTFO
>>
>>28632576
My 1999 honda crvs plastic bumpers have taken a car from the side, a head on collision, getting rear ended on a highway, and hitting an assortment of small animals.

They're absolutely fine. Idk what the plastic is, it's this grey thick stuff.

I hate how bumpers have gotten weaker. I can't even see a reason why.
>>
>>28631772
No.

It is unexcusible to still be fielding a machine gun that cannot change the barrel quickly and without tools.
>>
>>28629863
I think comparing a civilian product and an expressly used military product is nonsensical.
>>
>>28634667
I'll field my machine gun up your barrel quickly without a tool.
>>
>>28617730
1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL-1 0-60 mph 5.2 | Quarter mile 11.6

2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6 0-60 mph 5.8

One of the fastest cars of that era is slightly faster than today’s v6 econobox.
>>
>>28632181
Besides, isn't it technically pneumonia that gets people in the end
>>
>>28632181
What? I'm pretty sure that we die because of our ever-shortening telomeres.
>>
>>28616724
Wow, you just tried to argue against a nut by using the most half-assed, poorly researched fedora-babble I've heard in, like, 3 years.
>>
>>28616286

>Only 100 years.
>>
>>28635573
John Browning was the EMPARAH in disguise confirmed.
>>
>>28616224
Because it's good at reliably killing people, light skinned vehicles and unfortified buildings. It also got better recently with the new barrels so we don't have headspace them like we used to.
>>
>>28635189
>v6 econobox
A new Camry is like $30,000. Japanese cars haven't been cheap since the Reagan administration.
>>
>>28616224
The US is too busy spending billions on replacing a great CAS aircraft with a surgical strike craft that will be forced into CAS even though it can't fucking do it, much less as well as the aircraft it will replace.
>>
>>28616794
>But while you're all focusing on cars remember I mentioned things like appliances also.

#1 you were first to take a near fanatical stance on cars being "better" 40 years ago then they are today.

#2 Those appliances that were built to last seemingly forever also cost a small fortune the average family living 40-50 years ago. These days those same appliances built with modern standards are so comparatively cheap you don't even blink at the rice tag. Living in the mid early 90's a DVD player was something your parents worked for 2 months to afford. Today you can buy one form a gas station for 30 bucks.
>>
>>28636584
The A-10 was always for COIN, never CAS
Their survival in the skies above any intact air defense network is measured in minutes.

CAS is better provided by artillery at a fraction of the cost of aircraft anyways.
>>
>>28632576

>$4000 in repairs from hitting one squirrel
> Two or three squirrels can total a car

And you think I'm wrong??
>>
File: 009.jpg (1MB, 4048x2676px) Image search: [Google]
009.jpg
1MB, 4048x2676px
>>28637116
Or by loitering far above the threat in the first place
>>
>>28636367
And a $30k camry has heated leather seats, a Qi charger, nav and etc.
>>
This has definitely been a memorable thread.
>>
>>28637116
>The A-10 was always for COIN

Nigger what?

>CAS is better provided by arty

Nigger what? Those aren't even the same. What the fuck?
>>
>>28616224
>and have low enough recoil that they are deployed at GPMG

That's a lie, they are not manportable
>>
>>28616435
Even the Russians don't change equipment as lightly as you claim.
>>
>>28616435
Infantry are there to block advancement and fix enemy formations, some small increase in capability for the infantry will have little to no actual effect.
>>
>>28616368
And the guy in the 70s car will die on impact while the one in the new car will survive, you're an idiot.
>>
>>28634667
All I was saying was that it was already just fine had the military used it as it's supposed to be used. Now that being said it never hurts to upgrade it from fine to good.
>>
>>28621347
>a car that costs someone's entire yearly pay

A brand new nice car costs 15 grand for the base model, how poor are you?
>>
>>28617902
Probably wondering why you called them and didn't do it yourself.
>>
>>28616524
>automatic deletion function

What kind of ebooks are you reading?
>>
>>28617775
Yeah I was going to point this out, I thought Americans at least knew their own history.
>>
>ITT a /k/ommando loses his mind
>>
>>28616810
That's not true at all, just something they teach in highschool.
>>
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (25KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
25KB, 1280x720px
>>28616856
Whats a skinwalker. My buddy said its something that walks alone in the woods looking for little boys. Id like more info on this.
>>
>>28616224
If they would put a bayonet lug on the M2, that would be all the modernization we need.
>>
>>28627462
About damn time. It's 2016.
>>
>>28616224
Bayonet lug.
>>
File: 1448550098001.jpg (34KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1448550098001.jpg
34KB, 550x550px
>Design with adjustable head space and timing because build tolerances were shit those days
>Can't improve on this divine design!
>>
File: PEO_M2E2-QCB_HMG.jpg (1MB, 3465x1620px) Image search: [Google]
PEO_M2E2-QCB_HMG.jpg
1MB, 3465x1620px
>>28640212
>Add quick-change barrel upgrade
Perfect!
>>
>>28616490
Just kill yourself if you want to >>>/b/lackvoid
>>
>>28616717
Man you use the same reasoning as someone who is anti-gun
>I don't know shit
>but I heard somewhere/I think that X and Y are related
>makes sense so it must be true!
>>
>>28640126
he might have checked them out from the library. Library ebooks will deete themselves unless you renew them I beleive.
the library only has a limited number of copies.

basically, its DRM for books.
>>
>>28616490
Take care, anon.
>>
>>28640156
>when an MK ULTRA victim escapes
>>
>>28640268
You can remove any of that DRM shit
They can't magically auto delete themselves, thats a program you have to be running.
>>
>>28640304
That's good to know. I wonder if it's a flag meant to be seen by ereader programs or an exe downloaded with the book.

Do you know how it works, anon? Or is it something to google later?
>>
>>28640323
I dnno
who cares
why are you getting ebooks from a library? Someone must have put them up for download somewhere
>>
>>28640018
They are though, it was one of the main requirements of the design.
There's even an infantry variant specifically made to be fired from a bipod as a GPMG.
>>
>>28616745
HOLY SHIT I REMEMBER YOUR INSANE BABBLE
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.