[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to avoid being "that guy" in bootcamp?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 20

File: jellydonut.jpg (180KB, 2880x1619px) Image search: [Google]
jellydonut.jpg
180KB, 2880x1619px
Pic related
>>
>>28550712
Well...just don't be that guy.
>>
Don't be a disgusting fat body.
>>
>don't put jelly donuts in your foot locker
>don't be that fuckin guy!
>>
>>28550712
remember everything he did in boot camp
>lag behind and almost break down during PT
>fuck up drills
>hoard food in his foot locker
don't do that
>>
File: 1420439083819.png (308KB, 434x434px) Image search: [Google]
1420439083819.png
308KB, 434x434px
>>28550712
Honestly? STFU at all times. Never volunteer, never show initiative. Just STFU.
>>
>>28550745
This. It's like Prison. Don't do anything to get noticed.
>>
If you wash out, please don't join SVU
>>
Fun fact: when that flick came out it *boosted* recruitment. People in my high school were talking about how badass the boot camp part was, and wanted to see how they'd do. And a lot of them did join up eventually. None were star athletes or honor students... but they were the kids that nobody ever got around to fucking with.

There's a certain personality type that thrives in that sort of environment, and I hope all the gender-neutral social engineering bullshit doesn't dissuade them. We need our happy pro-social killers when things go south.
>>
Try to blend in with everyone else and follow what everyone else does. Try to be invisible. Fortunately for me, there were like 5 other Asians in my platoon, so our DIs couldn't tell who was who
>>
Just fucking grey man it.

Be above average PT, never late, never fuck your platoon for a quick thrill whatever it be.

Do not volunteer. Do not complain or pussyfart around if you are voluntold. My e6 ds did not know who i was.
>>
>>28550712

Dont volunteer for anything. Keep yourself hidden, low key.

Dont fuck over your platoon mates. Like if the Drill says "whose the cock sucker who said that!!" Dont say "it was private Joker Drill Sergeant!!" Keep your fucking mouth shut.

Dont be exceptional, dont be terrible. Be right in the middle, hide in the pack. Dont be the disgusting fat slob who holds up PT, don't be the retard who can't qualify and holds the entire platoon up for hours.

Clean your fucking ass, clean your fucking cloths. Dont stink. Take a shower any chance you get. Being stinky is the number one way to make yourself stand out in the worst possible way.

Dont fucking smuggle food from MREs or the chow hall into the barracks. Dont smuggle drugs or tobacco or alcohol.

Ensure anyone who mails you anything knows that it will be torn open in front of any number of drill sergeants and the whole platoon. Anything against the rules will be immediately confiscated, anything embarrassing will be used to make you seem like a fool.

Wake up in the morning on time. Have enough time to shave. Wake up for your fireguard. Don't be the fuck who doesn't pull his fair share.

Just follow the fucking rules. Whatever the drill sergeants say to do, do it. Just do it. It is a game, a stupid game with no winners, just play for 9 weeks.

Be invisible, be low key.
>>
File: IMG_1135.jpg (56KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1135.jpg
56KB, 500x357px
>>28550712
Here's a fucking depressing thought that you might or might not be ready for depending on your experience with government employees and .mil... if it has occurred to you that you COULD be "that guy" and you don't want to be a fuck up, you won't be "that guy"
>>
Realize nothing in bootcamp is important, matters, or even constitutes training.

Dont take it seriouslt, turn your mind off, and do what youre told.
>>
>>28550781
When an anti-war film actually boosts enlistment numbers, you've failed at making the film you set out to make.
>>
File: Philosoraptor-Blank-1.png (165KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Philosoraptor-Blank-1.png
165KB, 500x500px
>>28551027
>>
>>28550712
Don't be a fatty, don't shoot Gunny, don't splatter your brains on the shitter.
>>
>>28551027
>Anti-war.
The hired the wrong Gunny to be the DS.
>>
>>28550712
join the air force instead
>>
>>28551072

Yep. Everyone loved gunny.
>>
>>28550745
This times a thousand. Don't talk. Ever. Don't stand out, but don't fall behind. Be the most average guy you can, and be very, very, quiet. No one should even know your name. At boot camp graduation, I went to thank my RDC, he asked me who the hell I was, and refused to believe I was in his division until my rack mate backed me up.
>>
>>28550944
So its a little bit like people worrying about being bad parents, if you're asking the question, its probably not you.
>>
>>28550712
Be the Grey man, It did me wonders, it will work for you.
>>
>>28550872
Simply this.
>>
File: 1421297137847.jpg (111KB, 641x534px) Image search: [Google]
1421297137847.jpg
111KB, 641x534px
>>28551146
Cha-Ching!
>>
>>28550712
Dont be the
loudest/
quietest/
tallest/
shortest/
fattest/
skinniest/
dumbest/
smartest/
slowest/
fastest
person there
>>
>>28550712

basic training is fucking retarded. just remember that and youll do fine.
>>
File: 150717-M-MM918-004.jpg (649KB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
150717-M-MM918-004.jpg
649KB, 1100x733px
>don't volunteer

I mean, it's definitely sounds like the route to go if you want to be safe and avoid fuck-uppery that can get you in trouble.

But doesn't that also make you look like a lazy asshole who's asking to get picked out by the DI and made to do the worst shit?

And show zero initiative? I mean, that makes perfect sense when they're instructing you in the most basic of stuff when you're learning how to march, respond to commands, etc. and you just need to do exactly what you're told.

But what about the later on in boot camp?
>>
>Don't stand out in any way. Including positive shit.

Not military. Can someone explain?
>>
>>28551259
Supposing that is true- what bearing does that have on the rest of your time in the military? It's not like your DI/DS/RDC or whateverthefucktheairforcehas is going to call your tech school or your first duty station and report that you were a dildo...
>>
>>28550712
Don't lag behind or go ahead. Stay steady in PT.
Don't volunteer for shit, it puts you up on the stage for the DI/DS to shout you out.
Don't be fat.
Don't fuck things up for everyone else.

Just shut the fuck up and keep your head down.
>>
>>28551287
>Huh, Anon here is really good at this one thing.
>WHY AREN'T YOU THIS GOOD AT ANOTHER THING?!
Is what my drunk ass is guessing
>>
>>28550872
true
>>
>>28551287
Just don't fucking do it. Never separate yourself from the pack. Don't be the best or the worst in anything. The military is the perfect place for people who strive for average.
>>
>>28551259

There are 30-40 other guys who are ALSO playing it safe and not opening their big stupid mouths.

the instructors will pick people who stand out, for better or for worse. Be neither. Don't be good. Don't be bad. Be a nameless, faceless nobody.

If your instructors don't remember your name by the end of basic, you did it perfect.

Basic is not for ever. DI opinions will not matter or last once you leave. They are nothing. This is just a period of time for you to get through. It is pass/fail. You do not need to stand out. You just need to get through. So do THAT.
>>
File: 1284767181635.jpg (231KB, 800x2128px) Image search: [Google]
1284767181635.jpg
231KB, 800x2128px
>>28551287
Every day, some number of times a day, all names will be read in alphabetical order.
SOME (maybe 30%) of these names will come to be associated with a noteworthy deed, be it good or bad. These are the Known Quanitities. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to ensure that YOUR name, when read, is merely an expulsion of CO2 between the Guy Who Did XYZ and the Guy Who Did ABC.
>>
>>28551326
I suppose you're right. If you didn't go to the academies or something, there's really no incentive to be exemplary. As long as you show up, long enough, you'll get your pay raises.
>>
>>28551259

Basic training means nothing. Yes, in the actual army at your first duty station volunteer for things.

Volunteering for anything can only make your life shittier in basic. Like a "platoon leader" who had to low crawl what was literally a hundred yards, dragging his body along the ground to relay instructions to his platoon because they were fucking up. He volunteered, his life sucked.
>>
>>28551345
>that pic
Anyone else actually enjoy that movie?
I did.
Despite how laughably wrong they got his story.
>>
>>28551287

When you stand out, they remember you.

When they remember you, they pick you for duties/details.

When they choose you for duties/details, they expect things of you.

When they expect things of you, they start thinking of ways for you to fail.

When you fail, you stand out.
>>
>>28551367

Or when I was bay leader, which meant six weeks of trying to corral 40 grown ass men into cleaning their shit up every day, being held responsible for any fuckstick who failed to meet continually shifting arbitrary standards, and having to play nanny/babysitter for every god damned fire watch shift, while the "platoon leader" just marched everyone around and looked smug when we managed to march without tripping over our boots.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 640x1136px
>>28551380
Makes sense.
>>
>>28551369
> be me
> post meme from movie I've never actually seen
> sorry bru
>>
>be the grey man

It's impossible nowadays. Everyone will fall into 3 camps. The tryhards, the shitbags, and the fuckups. If you do try to be invisible you actually stick out like a sore thumb and everyone will hate you. Yes the killhats will leave you alone (or at least won't give you extra attention) but everyone else will try their hardest to make you miserable just because you're not one of their herd.

Honestly I'd say be a shitbag. You'll do less work in the end and those fuckers were right after all. They WILL punish everyone anyways or someone will get everyone smoked after all.
>>
>>28550872
>Don't volunteer for anything
I wish I understood this when I was in.
I never did anything else, only ever got myself fucked for that.
God I'm fucking dumb please just shoot me
>>
File: usarmysoil.jpg (852KB, 2304x1536px) Image search: [Google]
usarmysoil.jpg
852KB, 2304x1536px
>>28551287
"Oh, you think you're good at this, huh?"
"Do it again. While you're at it, teach dumbfuck 49 how to do it too."

Basically the entire goal is to not stand out.
There are two things that basic training seeks to instill in you.
1. Don't fuck up.
2. Be like the guy next to you.

Oh btw the fuck fuck games don't stop after basic, especially if you are infantry in the army/marines. Read through all of terminal lance.
>>
>>28551345
Is true too. I was the Guy Who Did XYZ

>>28551380
Is completely true, if you volunteer to do ANYTHING you'll get fucked if you make the slightest error.

>>28551443
You're retarded

That guy here, ask me about my shitty life decisions
>>
>>28551119

So true. I was the exact median in height, weight and physical fitness in my company after the checkup. I was so happy about that.
>>
>>28550712

Don't draw attention to yourself. Don't volunteer for anything. Don't be impressive, but don't be a piece of shit either.
You're not there to impress anyone and literally nothing that happens there matters once you're out, and any attention at all you bring to yourself is going to make it harder. Just keep your head down and your nose clean.
>>
>>28551364
This thread is about Basic Training, not career advice...
>>
>>28551369

What's the movie?
>>
When you talk to others say "fuck" a lot.
>>
>>28550781
>personality type that thrives in that sort of environment

I was selling cookies to fat kids and standing watch's for $5 and was ironing shoots for $2. After 2 months I left bootcamp with a $165, that was enough money for a train ticket into chicago, mcdonalds and a meal at one of those tropical restaurants the kind with the jungle theme.
>>
>>28550712

don't join
>>
>>28551027
Nah, Kubrick made a damn good movie, exactly how he wanted it. He just overestimated the audience.
>>
>>28551479
tell us about how you got an xyz title
>>
>>28550712
Don't shirk any duty in any way. that's it.
>>
>>28551824
>Nah, Kubrick made a damn good half of a movie

FTFY, the second half after boot was garbage.
>>
File: herrington.jpg (15KB, 502x384px) Image search: [Google]
herrington.jpg
15KB, 502x384px
>>28551883
What, you wouldn't want to kill gooks, and maybe capture cute female snipers, with Cowboy, Animal, Joker, and that nigger?
>>
The exact advice we got from our MSI was "It's not hard, just do what we tell you, when we tell and don't try and look for ways to cheat the system. Because you know what everyone of use was in your position at one stage and you aren't the first course we've so we know all the tricks and cheats."
>>
>>28551927
>Put a nigger behind the trigger
best line
>>
File: MeAndFreeman.jpg (99KB, 960x541px) Image search: [Google]
MeAndFreeman.jpg
99KB, 960x541px
>>28550712
>be me
>Day 1 of lannav
>DS Freeman gets temporary case of lysdexia and mixes coordinate order up
>Avid ArmA player for years
>Politely correct him
>He realizes it, based Freeman accepts correction graciously
>Platoon mates confused at me not getting smoked to death
>Have to help retards with lannav

>be me later
>going over Battle drill 1A
>Avid ArmA player autism strikes again
>DS Freeman asks if anyone knows
>Can't keep mouth shut
>My dumb ass admits ArmA addiction
>Help demonstrate BD1a
>DS Freeman impressed, asks if there is anything I don't know
>IThinkHeLikesMe.gif

>Vic Forge, made RTO
>No Assault pack
>Put ASIP in sustainment pouch
>Everyone else grounds their rucksacks for patrols
>Rucking for miles and miles with full ruck
>During pauses while everyone is pulling security, get to ruck flop
>People get pissy
>DS Freeman tells them to STFU
>Not sure if trying to fuck me
>Shifty eyes in my direction

>Later in a smaller squad with the Freeman
>Assaulting different positions
>Full ruck
>Antenna whipping me in the face
>DS Freeman keeps calling me brother
>get warm fuzzies
>WhatIsWrongWithMe.tiff
>"Not so easy out of a video game, eh brother?"
>Can't breathe
>Think I'm dying
>Assault next position

Overall, not worth it. If I were to do it again, I'd be the fly on the wall. The DSs liked me, the popular scum bags in my platoon hated me which made life suck.

Remember OP:
Sneeki Breeki
>>
>be before enlistment
>cuzzo advice
>i ran track in high school, so i outpaced all these fat fucks in pt
>di sees me doing this
>di is 5 ft tall crazy nigger
>di thinks i think im hot shit
>di gets in my face and laps the fuck out of everyone
>di steals guidon and goes to head
>di wipes his ass with flag
>finish boot camp with shit stain on guidon

and thats when i learned to stay in the middle
>>
>>28551709
already do
>>
>>28552162

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you refused to wear it? What's the worst they could do to you?
>>
>>28551883
it must be tough, to go through life with such a horrible disability as whatever must be afflicting you
>>
>>28552179
wear what? we marched with a goddamn flag with a shit stain on it.
>>
>>28552179
The guidon is a flag
>>
>>28550745
THIS

There are very little rewards to boot camp. It's just a small phase in your career that for the most part is meaningless. Just keep your head down, do what your told, and don't do anything autistic like pee in the showers.

Yes we had a guy who pee'd in the showers and we called him pee pee for the rest of boot camp.

Group mentality helps also. If you are doing what the group is doing then the punishment will come less directly on you.
>>
>>28552199
>>28552203

My bad, nonmilitaryfag here as if it weren't obviously and it kinda sounded to me like some decorative item you're supposed to wear or something.
That's funny, I'd have had a hard time keeping a straight face for any of that, especially while actually marching with the flag.
>>
>All these people saying never volunteer
If you never volunteer for anything at all people will notice, and the ds's will start picking you for all the shitty jobs whenever they ask for volunteers and no hands go up. The trick is to volunteer for just enough that when gunny is thinking 'who here never does shit' when he's looking for people for fuck fuck games, your name doesn't come up
>>
>>28550712
What would happen if you excelled beyond everyone else in physical and mental capacities?

A-asking for a friend
>>
>>28552503
As somebody who graduated with the high PT for my basic training class, not much.

Out main DS generally liked me because having the top PT guy made him look good. I got a special recognition during graduation and a challenge coin. There really wasn't a downside. Also I generally had an easier time with the smoke sessions then the fat fucks in my platoon, so I had no fucks to give when we got dropped for push ups.
>>
>>28552596
Ah okay. I'm by no means Husain bolt, but I'm in decent shape and I'm fairly intelligent. I want to excell, but I don't want to come off as an egotistical faggot more than absolutely necessary
>>
>>28552611
Despite all the people in this thread saying you have to grayman, there's nothing wrong with excelling at something in basic training. At best it might make one of the DS like you a little more, at worst you're going to get a little extra attention and some additional ribbing- it's not that bad.

Just keep in mind, nothing you at basic training matters once you get out. So don't stress about it too much one way or the other.

Also don't worry to much about being "that guy". Chances are you're going to have somebody like PVT Wolf to be that guy. Just don't be that retard, but you almost have to try to be that retarded.

Oh and >>28552475 has the right idea. It's not that you never volunteer, it's that you volunteer just enough to stay off the radar and skip all the really shitty details.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 1305x3315px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 1305x3315px
>>28552672
Fuck I forgot my photo. This is PVT Wolf. Don't the PVT Wolf, just follow the rules, and you'll be fine.
>>
>>28551150
grey all dey gray in the hay greay everywhere im great
>>
>>28551742
Well reconsider in the future because you have no business sense or savvy
>>
>>28550745
pretty much this.

If your squad leaders know your name, prepare yourself.
if your drill sergeants know your name, butter your bunghole
if your 1sgt or co commander knows your name, just give up.

if none of the above knows your name by the time your "graduate" you did good.
>>
Are combat boots supposed to be worn with the wool socks?
>>
>>28550745
As everyone else said, THIS! Just shut up, do exactly as you're told, and say "Yes Sir!" a lot (or "Yes Drill Sergeant" if you're Army) while standing at parade rest. Don't think, let them think for you. Just do. Doesn't matter if captcha says "I'm not a robot." Be a robot.
>>
>>28551674
The blind side
>>
A lot of anons here are saying keep low and I support this. However, it doesn't take into account that if you want to go anywhere productive in your military career you gotta at least stand out a little bit.

The problem is that people take this advice and ask a question when the instructor says 'Do you have any questions?' It makes you look like a fuck up, and to a instructor every recruit is a fuck up until further notice.

You don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, but don't be afraid to ask sensible realistic questions that will help you in your career such as this line I said when I was in boot:

"Sgt Anon, I'm having real difficulty trying to sweep these rooms clear because my rifle kinda obstructs me, could you please help me so I can preform better?"

In this instance the Sgt was more than happy to help. Sometimes they'll say "Don't worry about it Recruit Anon, you'll learn this later." Most importantly it shows the following:

1.) You're capable of diagnosing your problems
2.) You show a willingness to learn and improve
3.) You're clearly meticulous and dedicated to the role

Asking questions in a much more private manner helped me a lot and my career.

In short: Be sensible but don't be afraid to ask for constructive help (don't ask how to do something you've just been shown to do: Fill the gaps on what you don't know and haven't been told). Do it privately and quietly without getting too much negative attention.
>>
>>28551287
>>28551259

Idk how religious /k/ is but there's a quote from the Bible that goes along the lines of "whoever has, more will be given to him, and he who doesn't have, what little he has shall be taken away from him..."

Basically that's it. If you stand out in a good way, the higher ups will see it fit to give you more and more responsibility, and then it's only a matter of time before something goes wrong and you get the blame for it. If you're a total fuckup, what few responsibilities you have will be taken away from you (and usually given to the guy who already has a lot) and then you'll be the useless sap who's a a burden to his platoon.
>>
>>28552814
>"Sgt Anon, I'm having real difficulty trying to sweep these rooms clear because my rifle kinda obstructs me, could you please help me so I can preform better?"
Hentai has taught me that you clearly wanted his dick.
>>
>>28552814
Okayokay, but you're not going anywhere productive at this point. You're in basic, and all that matters is getting through the next couple months.

That said, if you do have a legitimate question, as this anon laid out, go ahead and ask it. The DSs train you so that you could be a member in their operational squad, hypothetically. They take pride in what you do, and want you to be the best damn soldier they can make of you.
>>
>>28552835
I guess it was different in my army, where your performance at basic and the specialty school depended on your later career options like base and unit postings as well as further training. May be different in other armies, I wouldn't know.
>>
>>28552847
Here in the US, if you get a counseling or some other sort of punishment, it won't stick with you usually (unless you get an Article 15 and get demoted or something). Unit postings are random and arbitrary. Just get through it all alive, and then deal with the suck when you get out.
>>
someone told me that volunteering for laundry duty is the only thing you should volunteer for
>>
File: 1451351299500.jpg (15KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1451351299500.jpg
15KB, 400x400px
>>28552712
>>28552712
>>28552712
pls respond.
>>28552794
>Be a robot.
>>
>>28550745
>>28550756
If you CAN be the BEST, be the best.
If you are not 100% certain you can DEFINITELY be the BEST, be the most average you can possibly be.

If your average you won't get picked on, if you try to be the best and fail, you might get picked on.
If you can be the best and succeed, you might get a medal, and if you don't fuck up later on down the line, you might even get put on the fast track if someone takes a liking to you.

Always do your best on every shoot though, no matter what.
>>
if you're fat, try to go on a diet and do cardio and weight lifting before enlisting

if you're dumb, not much you can do
>>
>>28551027
Kubrick didn't intend it to be anti-war, in fact he was quite pro war and fascistic
Its taken as anti-war because Kubricks autistic attention to detail meant he depicted the naked reality of war and military training, thats all you need to make something anti-war: the truth
>>
>>28551259
>poor little asian guy
>>
File: 2d89d8f2f7dbd729d17bc11145a5fc53.jpg (950KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2d89d8f2f7dbd729d17bc11145a5fc53.jpg
950KB, 1920x1080px
>>28551093
This
>>
File: 1408145327726.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1408145327726.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>28550745

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS a thousand times THIS.

Speaking from experience here... this.

For some reason I don't think I can say this enough.
>>
>>28551093
>>28553213
Air Force still does basic, yes?
>>
>>28553228
Yes, but i went through in 2013 so i dont remember much
>>
>>28551259
How do I prepare myself mentally for shit like this? How do I train "shutting myself off"? I work with concrete, so I'm used to being yelled at, but I am very poor at controlling when I smile/laugh.
>>
>>28550872
I'd like to add to this though. Get some good PT scores (preferable over 300) so you can have a chance to get an airborne slot or even have a chance to go to the ranger regiment. Though I don't know if you still have a chance to go to courses if you didn't have it in your contract.

Just follow the guidelines bellowed by the other guy and you will be fine anon. Just don't fuck up.
>>
>>28552684
desu I'd probably get a few skid marks if I had to wear whitey tighteys
>>
>>28550745
As someone considering the armed forces. You really do not want to stand out as a good? Like even if you found the physical aspect of it easy, you should just do as good as the rest of your unit.

What's wrong with volunteering? If you can put up with the shit you might as well prove it right?

Is the point to show you work well in a unit and other recruits will just hate you for being a try hard?
>>
>>28553318
A competitive attitude will probably just fuck me right? Even if being a lifer is in mind.
>>
>>28553196
very well said.
>>
>>28553343
Not always competing with the recruits but also with the DIs to take more than they can give. Kind of shake their belief in their training.

I'm kind of a fucked up person with a fucked up life and this sounds fun to me.
>>
>>28550872
This plus don't take it personally when its your turn to get yelled at.
Its part of the training everyone gets at least one DS rip their face off.
You have to take the punishment and do as you are told.
Try not to laugh or cry when being yelled at and absolutely don't talk back or argue even/especially if you are right.
Don't apologize to the DS for fucking up just accept it and move on
>>
>>28553343
As long as you back it up with results, they do want to see you putting in effort.
Nothing makes an NCO scream like seeing a boot half assing something. A fat boot spewing at the end of a PT session will be teased a little but someone sitting in the middle of the pack not breaking a sweat will make the whole platoon do it again.
>>
>>28553318
If you volunteer the Drill Sergeants are just gonna make an example out of you. Never be first or last. Always be between.
>>
>>28551742
You went to the big McDonald's in down town, also the restaurant was right by McDonald's Is called rain forest cafe. You literally wasted your money at shit restaurants
>>
Don't talk unless necessary
Eat balanced meal
Do all the little shit that keeps you out of the eye
>>
>>28551448
>God I'm fucking dumb please just shoot me
I bet lots of people wanted that too. please share more tales of how big of a screw up retard you were during basic, and how it ruined your life
>>
>>28552503
>physical and mental capacities?
you would not have been there in first place.
go be rich in wall street, you dumb fuck
>>
>>28553918
B-but debil dogs
>>
>>28550712
Just remember that you know absolutely nothing and shouldn't talk at all. Also, pay close attention to detail when doing what you're told. That's really all.
>>
File: readImage.jpg (20KB, 431x267px) Image search: [Google]
readImage.jpg
20KB, 431x267px
Don't listen to the non-volunteer people. I was given the cushies of cushest jobs. Was able to go to chow on my own, everybody cleaned while I inventoried the items, hung out and shot the shit with the drill instructors. But this was all backed up with being a PT stud.

Sometimes it works out in your favor. I walked away with a meritorious promotion.
>>
>>28553318

Why prove anything? Who are you proving it to? You will never see these people again. You will not get paid more because you are a PT stud and volunteered all the time. Learn to let go of your ego. So you don't get congratulated by the DS at evening formation for running the bayonet assault course in record time? Good. That will make your life easier, and approval can come later from people who really matter.

Story time: I was in army basic in '98. I've been a good shot ever since I was a cub scout and it carried over. I scored expert first try on qualification and had the highest score (38) in my training company. What was my reward? Personal satisfaction, a burger King whopper meal and I got to spend my evening free time for the next two weeks coaching idiots who couldn't shoot so that they maybe wouldn't get rolled back to another company or chaptered out of the army. And when they fucked up royally, I got smoked a few times with them. I can shoot well, but at 19, what the fuck do I know about teaching knuckleheads? Fucking alcoholic drill sergeant.

It would have been easier if I scored a 30 and then got my expert badge during my first qualification after basic.
>>
Reminder that if you can't find "that guy", you are "that guy"

Also what happened to tripfag That Guy?
>>
I went in 30 years ago, so it's a little foggy....

I volunteered as scribe. I don't recall anything bad because of it, but it did get me out of nightly abuse. Health inspection before rack time, I followed the DI around and took notes. They were nice to me, but as inspections proceeded down the line the DIS became more abusive. Luckily, I never took a shot to the ribs, or had my nose hairs pulled out...but I watched it happen a lot.
>>
>>28550745
this this this. 8 1/2 weeks of basic for me. I was a fly on the wall for 5 weeks before my MTI even realized I was in his flight. And that was because I had the easiest detail.

>Chrome Polisher
>>
File: marinedi.jpg (140KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
marinedi.jpg
140KB, 600x448px
>>28555080

They're not allowed to actually punch or beat your ass though nowadays, right?

They can scream at you and PT you until you want to die, but they can't actually strike you, can they?
>>
>>28555179. Like then, I suspect it depends on the DI. They don't beat you on the parade deck. They do it when no one important is around. Some didn't personally hit you, but they would pack 40+ recruits in the whiskey locker and start yelling drill commands.
>>
the biggest mistake of my life was not joining the marines after highschool.

what the fuck was I thinking.. I wanted to make video games? who the fucking hell cares holy shit what a dumb ass I used to be and still am.
now im stuck working minimum wages jobs as a career because of how shitty I did in community college
>>
>>28552684
I've known two different Cpl Wolf.
One was switched on as fuck.
The other was retarded and useless.
>>
>>28556514
why not just sign up now?
>>
>>28551191
>6'3"
>230 lbs
>slow
>93 AFQT
Fuck
>>
>>28557421
I smoked way too much legal medical marijuana
>>
>>28557548
lol they give a fuck about that? I'm applying to DC Metro, the recruiter told me just 6 mo gap for weed. By the time they get to me, it'll be a year if not longer.
>>
>>28558549
they don't care?
>>
>>28558609
Not like they used to. DC Metro is a bit more lax than other Depts. They're having enough trouble as it is now making full classes. If they DQ'd guys because they smoked too much weed, they'd have nothing. Too many guys retiring/transferring to PGC PD.
>>
>implying you don't want to be "that guy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp1yclQXd1Q
>>
>>28553318
You are there to take orders without thinking about them and work with the others. The nail that sticks out gets hammered.
>>
File: 1420321630812.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1420321630812.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>28552794
>Doesn't matter if captcha says "I'm not a robot." Be a robot.
made me kek
>>
File: yas.png (12KB, 307x311px) Image search: [Google]
yas.png
12KB, 307x311px
>>28553196
This guy gets it. Depicting an institution as it actually is can cause butthurt for people who worship it. Kubrick was just honest.
>>
>>28556757
I had a wolf in my basic too, he was a complete fuck up, and did crazy shit like meditation.
>>
>>28550872

Out-fucking-standing.
>>
I remember some funny stuff from basic.

DS asks everyone if anyone can operate a crane, someone says yes, has shovel handed to them and they get to dig all the time.

DS asks if anyone can drive a truck, someone says yes, is given a wheel-barrow and gets to help shovel guy.

The theme of this topic is about right, do good but not the best, and for god sakes not the worst. At the end of the day, basic means so very little in a military career.

I did forget gloves one time on a cool day, but avoided to much banter by just pushing through it and not using my pockets.
>>
>>28551344
Nah that's not entirely true, I didn't get honor grad because my instructor thought I was someone else by the end and got blamed when he did something stupid because we were bunk mates, white and skinny.
>>
>>28553318
You're not there to think. You're there to follow orders. Just shut up and do what you're told.
>>
>>28555179

i have a hard time taking the yelling and chest beating seriously. maybe when i was 18 id get spooked by it but now id be cool as a cucumber.
>>
Everyone saying don't be the best, couldn't be the best. Give 110%, doing well will never serve you wrong. Also, not to mention if you would like to go on to be anything you are going to need to be a pt stud. And not stupid to boot.
>>
Dont be the tall guy
Dont be the short guy
Dont have a weird name
Dont excel
Dont lag
Be the nameless faceless wonder
>>
>>28557548
Doesn't pot only show up in your piss for like, a month at max? They do urinalysis right, not hair testing?
>>
>>28555138
kek. Laundry crew was easier then chrome polisher. I threw the laundry in and kicked it. Then swapped out and had a longer chow time because half the time we didn't eat with the flight.
>>
>>28562002
Yeah it will serve you wrong. Name of the game is don't stand out. There's nothing to gain by being the best during boot/basic. Because in the end it doesn't matter as long as you made it through.

Obviously you never served.
>>
>>28550712
I was unknown until we finished BRM (basic rifle marksman ship) and moved on to ARM (advanced rifle marksmanship) I was struggling at the first range we went to where you would get two pop ups at once. I couldn't meet the min score and the senior drill for my platoon and for our company as a whole learned my name at that day at the range.
When I was just another face things were easy. When when SFC Luther Rutledge learned my name, the rest of OSUT was him glaring at me.
>>
>>28567255
forgot to add, SFC Rutledge would eventually go on to become the 1SG and then later the commandant of the Drill Sgt school at Ft Benning, so guess what life under his gaze was like?
>>
Any specific tips for US Navy basic?
>>
>>28567374
don't be that guy who can't swim
>friend joins Navy
>tells me about swim quals
>EVERY SINGLE NIG INNA BASIC FAILS SWIM TEST
>every one of them had to give up their free time to go to weak swimmers class
>>
>>28567413
why cat niggs swim? In hs swim class i remember every one either skipping those days or wearing a bigass life vest
>>
>>28567449
Fear of water. Why do you think me need to cram so many on boats to get them here?
>>
>>28567449
had someone tell me it was because of bone density and less buoyancy. I think it's simply a social issue, I'm white from the suburbs. I had swim lessons at the local public pool in the summer, and all summer long my mom would just give me some money for snacks and tell me to not come home till the pool closed. Most "urban youths" don't get that chance. I never would have tried swimming competitively, but I was never worried about drowning. Was funny watching my bad ass black 1SG in the shallow end of the pool during annual drown proofing.
>>
>>28553187
A) lift weights.
B) lose weight.(Keto is King)

Doing both at the same time will lead to shit results.
>>
>>28550808
>Try to blend in with everyone else and follow what everyone else does. Try to be invisible. Fortunately for me, there were like 5 other Asians in my platoon, so our DIs couldn't tell Hu was Hu

fixed
>>
It's fucking boot camp. If you ever get scared or become that guy then just go take refuge with the head shavers.
>>
>>28557538
>5'11"
>pasty white boy
>from Miami
>Weak
>92 AFQT
Parris Island, here I come.
>>
What do they say about thick accentsat Parris Island?
>>
>>28553255
Bite the inside of your lip. Not the cheek, the lip. If you need to smile bite harder and harder til it goes away.
>>
>>28567538
Floating is harder the skinnier you are, but it's something that can be averted with even basic swimming lessons.
>>
>>28558861
>white people
>>
>>28568615
You're retarded, lifting weights while cutting will reduce the amount of muscle mass lost. That's what's important, not gains, while cutting.
>>
>>28554776
My buddy shot his friends target in boot camp to go to germany instead of vietnam. He was a better mechanic anyway, but probably fucked his friend over by doin that.
>>
>>28570841
>>28570841
You won't lose much weight or any weight at all if you lift while attempting to lose weight. You will also constantly be hungry cuz building muscles requires protein.
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.