[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Formosa Invasion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: p_066.jpg (4MB, 1999x1419px) Image search: [Google]
p_066.jpg
4MB, 1999x1419px
A rather curious question has come up when I was discussing the Pacific Theater with a few of my friends. What if Roosevelt went with Nimitz plans to invade Formosa and not the Philippines? Was Nimitz's plan to bypass the Philippines a better strategy in the long run? Or did MacArthur actually have the better idea, even if it was mostly fueled by revenge and glory?
>>
That late in the war any land invasion was fucking retarded.

The IJN was already blown the fuck out and we just needed a few groups to hunt down the remnants and the main fleet to blockade Japan while we bombed them to shit from Iwo Jima.
>>
Japan would have accepted peace at any point
All the tens of thousands dying in island hopping campaigns died for nothing

But ofc, muh death march! While ignoring that the US officers deliberately put the japs in the situation where they had to "death march" POWs back to their supply bases.
>>
>>28451397
2/10 i replied
>>
>>28451397
this is what weeaboos actually believe
>>
>>28451397
two bombs weren't enough.

should have just dropped them as fast as we could crank em out and go through with Operation Downfall.
>>
File: herewegoagain.gif (981KB, 1064x589px) Image search: [Google]
herewegoagain.gif
981KB, 1064x589px
>>28451397

>US officers deliberately put the japs in the situation where they had to "death march" POWs back to their supply bases.
>death march not our fault white piggu
>>
>>28451481
>should have just dropped them as fast as we could crank em out
we did, after Fat Man and Little Boy we were dry for a few months. In that time, Ivan would probably have gotten his grubby hands on Japan, and we'd have a North Japan, like North Korea today
>>
>>28451597
Explain to me how it's the japs fault that they didn't have the supplies directly on hand to feed tens of thousands of surrendering US troops?

Of course, Macarthur got away safe, so you know it was deliberate.
>>
>>28451621
>Implying Russia had any way to land troops on Japan.

They didn't and Truman damn well knew it. The Army projected that it would have seven Fat Man bombs by the time Downfall started.

>>28451759
>Assaulting an enemy position without consideration of taking POWs.

That's just indication of incredibly poor foresight and sloppy planning, desperation (late war Germany), or just plain not giving a fuck (Eastern Front as a whole). Japan would be guilty of reason 1 or 3 in this case, since they generally held a very dim view of POWs and their logistics were shit.
>>
>>28451878
They did have sufficient supplies, they just had to march the American pow's back to where their supplies were.
>>
>>28451227
Why would you invade the more heavily defended place when either one would do?
>>
>>28454733
Because the Navy probably would have handled it better than MacArthur did.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.