[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that so many kids who join the Army seem to come back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: army.jpg (48KB, 394x604px) Image search: [Google]
army.jpg
48KB, 394x604px
Why is it that so many kids who join the Army seem to come back fatter than when they left?

Serious question. Do they not do diets and such for kids who are fatties or borderline in Army basic? How is it that people are coming back home on boot leave with a panis?
>>
>>28444693
Because while you're in you exercise a lot, and therefore eat a lot. Most dudes stop the exercise but maintain the diet.
>>
>>28444753

So you're saying there is a point in Army basic in which exercising becomes optional?
>>
>>28444693
I can't speak for every Unit, but here it's simple: they get broke. Between higher demands, a higher OP tempo, and continually being under-manned, Joe has to do more than he did during the surge or at any point. And then Joe gets broke, goes on profile, and puts on weight.

Then broke, overweight Joe gets chaptered for not being able to meet standards and we wait another six months for someone we needed 6 months prior to PCS in.
>>
In case it wasn't absolutely clear from when I mentioned boot leave, I am asking about kids who go to basic and come back after graduating fatter than when they joined.

Come to think of it - why are fat kids even allowed to graduate? Is there no final weigh-in?
>>
>>28445091
being fit doesn't mean looking good
>>
>>28445112

These kids are also getting barely passing pt scores, so I doubt that it is a case of them being well-developed under all their rolls of fat.
>>
>>28444693
>so many kids
how many people do you know who are joining the army in the first place?
>>
>>28445112

Implies that you believe the Army doesn't have weight standards.

Is there anyone willing to talk about whatever aspect of Army basic culture is responsible for this on /k/ who isn't retarded?
>>
>>28445122
>getting barely passing pt scores

>mfw they still pass
>>
>>28444693
>>
>>28445272

of course not retard
>>
>>28444693
The Army National Guardsman can be identified by his distinctive shape, as shown in your picture.
>>
File: Dfac.jpg (35KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
Dfac.jpg
35KB, 403x403px
>>28445272
>>28444693

So first watch this to get some insight into the PT programs at basic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWN13pKVp9s

Now think about how diet goes to shit when you start working 12-14 hour days, and also the shitty food available on and around base.
>>
>>28445272
seriously, where the fuck are you getting this from

who do you know that's coming back from BCT fatter
>>
File: NeverDeployed.jpg (62KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
NeverDeployed.jpg
62KB, 640x640px
>>28445460
At least that fat fuck deployed
>>
>>28444790
optional is the wrong word.

you get some desk job not having to do shit, so the runs and the PT are 'optional'
>>
>>28445513
>>28445615
>>28445302

Reread the OP and try again.

>>28445575

I have known four guys who came home tubby. While not statistically significant, I am wondering how this is allowed to happen at all.
>>
>>28444693
Like right after basic? Probably the fact they've been high activity/low calorie intake for so long their bodies try and hold onto whatever they eat and store it as fat. Like how dudes can gain 30 pounds in a week following Ranger and Sere school.
>>
I love it when veterans make excuses for being fat
>>
File: 178125785.gif (733KB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
178125785.gif
733KB, 360x202px
>tfw went from 287 lb to 170 lb without going to the gym ever
>not even 20 yet
>>
>>28446206
Bravo, you glorious son of a bitch. You managed to stop eating everything in sight, which is a lot harder than it sounds when you've habituated to it to the point you weigh that much.

Now you just need muscle to make up some of the space so you don't look like a walking mass of vaginas. Unless your skin came down in size too?
>>
>>28446243
>which is a lot harder than it sounds when you've habituated to it to the point you weigh that much.
I still maintain that I didn't eat that much when I was a lard ass, but going at least 24 hours between meals for 10 months dropped me a hundo.

would this be a red flag in the enlistment process?

>tfw family members that last saw me 2 years ago don't even recognize me
>>
I'm not a military hater but a guy I worked with joined the Army and came after boot camp with about a 25 pound muscle gain. He served for about 5 years then it seemed like he kept eating the same amount of food as when he was enlisted but didn't burn it off like they do. Now he's fat.
>>
>>28445091
Because you only know POGs.
>>
>>28446255
No it wouldn't, but it would be a red flag in the diabetes process.

Seriously, do you want diabetes? Because that's one of the ways that you get diabetes.
>>
>broke as a joke and malnourished
>join ARMY
>get money
>get fed for free
>get buff
>get ARMY strong
>get deployed
>come back and enjoy glorious freedom burgers
>get wife and kids
>get fed by beautiful patriotic wife
>get fat

>why doe ???
>>
File: 1388269015904.jpg (44KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
1388269015904.jpg
44KB, 400x550px
>>28446280
My grandpa had diabetus so I'm probably getting it regardless.

but now that you think of it, blood sugar is a thing. I've been working on it, though. I got myself back to 183 last time I checked, pretty happy with that and plan on building muscle now.

I lost the weight well though because I'm 6'3 and I've got a pretty broad build and carried the weight well when I was fat, meaning I didn't look like I was almost 300 lb because I did do sports n shit.

Should I feel bad for my desire to see a better image in the mirror being a driving force behind my enlistment?
>>
>>28445791

Right after basic in that the day of their graduation they are fatter than the day they shipped.

>>28446206

I forgot that everyone in 80s movies sucked their stomachs in.

>>28446272

Retard

>>28446282

Retard
>>
>>28445122
Obviously someone is peddling them sweets on the sly for mad profit like in that movie about fat camp kids
>>
>>28446280
diabetes
>>
AR 600-9 flagged SM here.

I been in for 3 years now and flagged twice for weight. Its all from eating unhealthy, and its all my fault I don't really care. In Garrison the army takes 350 dollars a month of your check, you're forced to wait up to 30 mins or more during peak hours for food at the DFAC, and when you get there it tastes like shit about half the time. There are healthy options but thats ussually even more disgusting. All soldiers agree DFAC is a struggle. No one wants to eat there 3 times a day unless they are hell bent on saving money. So its easier to eat fast shitty foods. Also as one anon said when your first line wants you back in 30 mins to continue doing [bullshit here] preparing a propper meal is ussually never an option.

Here in Korea its much the same, but we do get an allowance for food here. However inversely to Conus there aint really dick todo here besides go out and eat knock off japanese sushi, bulgogi, and other korean delicacies. When there's nothing to do food becomes the high point of the day. Particularly when you're getting fucked for most of it.

>>28444693
IDK who "so many" is, I feel like you're generalizing. I went to 19K osut. We never had an "AIT" we never got pizza, chinese, any of that it was 16 weeks of DFAC and MREs. Ontop of getting smoked everyday. Everyone in my cycle lost weight. To be vague I wasn't fat by normal standards coming in. I lost most of my fat kept my stocky build getting out. 3 years later I am fatter then when I came in, and stronger too so my weight is attributed to muscle and fat both. It sucks. Like this >>28445112

>>28446255
That's actually really unhealthy. But I guess it worked. You can eat food, and still lose weight. 500 calories less a day is a lb per week.

>>28446282
"When your kids want mcdonalds, you're not buying it just for them." -Old NCO of mine

Would go on further but char limit
>>
>>28446206
wait until you are 20. wait until 25.
Every tells you your metabolism goes to shit but you wont believe them. Then youll be a fat fuck and be asking whyyyy.
see: >>28445302
>>
>>28445802

>I did something one time so it's ok that I'm a ridiculous piece of shit now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4M7ud5gk8g
>>
>>28448470
They don't know about muh military service!
>>
>>28446206
>tfw I could do this in highschool
>tfw I never believed my metabolism would take a giant shit
>tfw I eat less than in HS and have a beer belly now
Fuck getting old. Fuck it.
>>
>>28448470
rofl he's doing fucking crossfit now, no wonder he has pain every morning
>>
>>28444693
>citation needed
>>
File: JaredStressEating.jpg (107KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
JaredStressEating.jpg
107KB, 1200x630px
>>28446206
You'll gain it back. The people that lose a 100 pounds and keep it off are at a statistical zero.
>>
When you gain more weight than you ever had before, you gain new adipose cells. When you lose weight, your adipose cells shrink, but they are still there, ready to balloon up again.

Its far easier to regain weight than it is to gain it in the first place.
>>
>>28444872
Literally exactly what happened to a friend
>>
>>28450247
Except that's not true. The reason why diets fail so often is not because of genetics or any shit like that.
You have to learn how to eat at a balanced level. Most people just eat less and exercise until they are skinny and then go back to eating what they did when they were fat. And they stop exercising because people have this weird notion that exercising is only to get fit, not to stay fit.
>>
When I went through basic most of the guys came in with the goal to lose weight, and they did. A lot of the females started to look way too thin to me compared to when they started but that might of been more of a non professional opinion.
I'm probably the only person I know in my company that might of actually gained weight but I went in very lean and wondering why I wasn't getting skinnier or fatter, but my weight definitely went up from solid mass gain.
>>
>>28451620
I went to Knox at 180 and came out at 150 and with visible abs.

After Active Duty I was 210 and still passing tape.
>>
>>28444693
Because most of Army life past Basic is sitting on ass.
>>
Army PRT is meant to sustain you, not improve you. If you want to be fitter you have to spend (more) of your personal time for the army to get it. And if you want to eat BK and Taco Bell for lunch everyday you blew the sustainment part out of the water.
>>
Army PT is a fucking joke if you are a POG.

Morning PT with the company is basically there for show.

Exercising on your own time is hard when you don't get released for the day until after 1800. The mess hall closes at 1830 and you have to get up again tomorrow at 0530.
>>
>>28452224
Implying the mess hall food is any better.

unless you want to live off salad. eating at the DFAC is just as bad.
>>
File: 1445083224067.png (393KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
1445083224067.png
393KB, 640x426px
>>28451257
Pretty much this.

Kept about 150 off for 12 years... A struggle every single day.
>>
>>28448452
this just hit me at 25
gained 40 lbs in a couple months, caught it and i'm keeping it at bay now but it's a bitch getting it off.
>>
>>28452283
>Get off of work late
>chow hall closes a half hour later
This is why to go plates are your friend.

I'm just happy I get left to my own devices for morning PT and get out early enough to go for a run and still have a good amount of free time at night.
>>
>>28452294
No fucking shit major obvious
>>
>>28452309
Yep, I learned that lesson the hard way, I lost like 60+ pounds and then let up and started eating more shit and skipping the gym a bunch. Then once you notice what is happening you have to fight to get back into a healthy routine.

Much easier to fight to continue good habits than to fight to form them in my opinion.
>>
>>28445754
They don't care what you look like as long as you aren't failing the course.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.